Sign in to follow this  
fabio_chavez

Questions about Arma3 Lighting

Hi,

by accident i created a little sandstorm config, beginning with, trying to, adjust the global lighting color palette for some of the arma2 islands using .kjus All in Arma (AiA) forward porting mod: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3

Now im considering makeing a little release from it since, for me, the results - not yet perfect - where unexpectedly promising.

early WIPs:

D8C1C3F13A10AE187254456110E0C8330EB02E35

ok now here are the questions:

1.) is it possible to turn streetlights and vehicle lights on at daytime? only found people trying to do the other way around (turning streetlights off at night)

UPDATE: its possible via vehicle classes

-e.g.:

b1daf2f6b349701878931d018280d74c.jpg

2.) since there seem to be only two shadow conditions, like above and below 60% overcast, is it possible to alter the shadow, like softing the edges or lighten it up to diffuse it a bit, to get a smoother transition between the two conditions?

-its a bit of a dilemma because at one point, the shadows are too hard for the amount of dust in the air (yet i kind like it because it give some surreal appeal to the setting wich might be even contributing to the immersion eventually).

IF possible id like to see how things turn out when altered. i think these videos gives an idea:

Update: you cannot have soft shadows but its possible to adjust the shadow depths/darkness by the ratio of diffuse to ambient light. (the less diffuse light the less shadow)

3.) the last one is regarding work flow and how things work in general, this is also really important because the final outcome i have in mind and the ambitions to realise it depend on weather if i am capable to grasp and technically implement it,

since the few i know about arma modding i learned in the process of creating this minor tweaks.

The Ultimate Goal would be to have 1-2 sand/dust types/colors (e.g. one brownish and one yellowish) that respond to overcast and sun angle completely dynamic, and 2 or 3 intensitys for density and velocity, if not infinitely variable.

AND maybe most important i need to be able to adjust all the lighting parameters constitute the overall lighting and color palette of the island, right now i only apply changes by try and error wich is really time consuming and frustrating and i will not be able to make a complete overhaul for a map to addapt is to the sandstorm config.

im especially intressted in these parameters???:

can they be altered in realtime/one the fly while the map is loaded??!?!!!

class Lighting0
			{
				height = 0;
				overcast = 0.6;
				sunAngle = -10;
				sunOrMoon = 0;
				diffuse[] = {0.0297,0.0539,0.16005};
				diffuseCloud[] = {0.02673,0.04851,0.144045};
				ambient[] = {0,0.00055,0.0063};
				ambientCloud[] = {0,0.000495,0.00567};
				ambientMid[] = {0,0.00033,0.00378};
				ambientMidCloud[] = {0,0.000297,0.003402};
				groundReflection[] = {0,0.000198,0.002268};
				groundReflectionCloud[] = {0,0.000178,0.002041};
				bidirect[] = {0,0,0};
				bidirectCloud[] = {0,0,0};
				sky[] = {0.002,0.002,0.0025};
				skyAroundSun[] = {3.2e-005,0.000404,0.000938};
				fogColor[] = {0.097,0.065,0.032};	
				apertureMin = 0.6517;
				apertureStandard = 0.7448;
				apertureMax = 1.17;
				standardAvgLum = 0.0012;
				desiredLuminanceCoef = 0.118098;
				desiredLuminanceCoefCloud = 0.059049;
				luminanceRectCoef = 0.4;
				luminanceRectCoefCloud = 0.2;
				rayleigh[] = {0.00749,0.01388,0.02878};
				mie[] = {0.0046,0.0046,0.0046};
				cloudsColor[] = {0.097,0.065,0.032};
				swBrightness = 1;

are they changable in realtime or cant they be altered after the game is loaded, and if changeable, can you give me an example of what i could try to put into the console to change any parameter of the lighting config? and what is the deal with the rgb values exactly, why is it like "0.xxx,0.xxx,0.xxx" is it like "the tone of the colour depends on ratio, relative to eachother? and the hight of the absolute number is transparency? like "0.9,0.0,0.0" is really really red and "0.0009,0.0,0.0" is the same tone only with less saturation?? could i go like "1.0," too?

thanks in advance,

Fabio

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

1) not sure. did you try Sakura's addon yet?

maybe something can be done with scripting

2) as far as i can tell its determined by the engine and nothing one can influence

also it sounds like a bug or engine limitation. aka best to make a ticket in the FT

3) did you try any of the scripting commands yet?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3&p=2374148&viewfull=1#post2374148

colors are in RGB from 0 to 1, or = 0/255 to 255/255

transparency is a fourth value but not available here

maybe looking into rvmat/asking model experts might give some better insights too

;2376707']1) not sure. did you try Sakura's addon yet?

maybe something can be done with scripting

3) did you try any of the scripting commands yet?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3&p=2374148&viewfull=1#post2374148

maybe looking into rvmat/asking model experts might give some better insights too

FOR SOME REASON I TOTALLY OVERLOCKED THAT POST LOOL! i think it was allready late at night then, i must have been blind, i will look it up thank you! -_-/

yet im still puzzled how to implement/use those scripting commands...

p.s. sakura hasnt released anything yet???

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151114-Streetlamp-upgrade-alpha-I

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85283-Night-lighting-effects

put a command in a console

highlight it with the mouse cursor

hit f1

but it seems aside from "lightnings" the commands are for single object light sources

Could be related: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setApertureNew

Maybe there is another related command among the new ones:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3:_New_Scripting_Commands_List

That aside essentially config work is to optimize the loading time:

# RAM drive

# SSD

# start directly to test mission

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

ok i will try to figure it out, the resources you supply are really helpfull.

on the performance issue, i am allready aware that in the end of the process i might have to consider some performance optimization since some of the particle effects i use (e.g. nim_weather (an arma 1 mod lol!)) do impact performance allready for some

strange reason.

the sakura mods look intressting, the streetlight mod works but does not do want i would like it to do atm, i will have a look at the code.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

on the drop shadow:

i figured out that there actually is a transition between hard drop shadow and no drop shadow, but the transition is actually pretty harsh.

i happens around 56% and 58% overcast: at 56 there is still noticable drop shadow and sunflare, then at 57 there is only a slight shadow left but nomore sunflare (just a white circle) and finally at 58 there is no more dropshadow and no more sunflare.

it would be nice to be able to finetune the dropshadow and sunflare at that part, to have something inbetween strong blinding sunflare and a "moonlike" sun, that would possibly be a quiestion of .paa editing right?

e.g.

sandstorm.jpg

4.) what about color filters, is color filtering possible? like to layover a certain tone as a post processing effect?

EDIT: solved

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

4.) what about color filters, is color filtering possible? like to layover a certain tone as a post processing effect?

I'm very glad you are getting the help you need, but

§12) Do not type in all capital letters, all bold, or in a non-black font

Typing in all caps equates (according to standard net etiquette) to yelling. It is also difficult and obnoxious to read such posts. This also applies to posting all in bold or all in a certain font colour just to try to make your words stand out, if your point is interesting enough or well written enough it will stand out. You're welcome of course to use different colours for parts of your post if it helps clarify certain areas, but typing complete messages in any colour other than black should be avoided. Please refrain from non-standard fonts and/or font sizes as well please.

There is no need to post all in bold or all in red. The red in particular is not needed the in the first place since you don't need to double emphasize your headings.

I'm very glad you are getting the help you need, but

There is no need to post all in bold or all in red. The red in particular is not needed the in the first place since you don't need to double emphasize your headings.

i tried to keep my central questions in my question thread highlighted in a consistent manner.

i tried to keep my central questions in my question thread highlighted in a consistent manner.

Well, when you have a post with only 1 question in it there's no need to highlight it.

forum rules is forum rules, just mentioning.

or can we just delete our conversation and i edit the concerned text?

i really need the help of the people and i was trying to make my concerns easily accessible

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

a test with pp color correction, the aim was to make something that looks like a sandstorm at dusk...

19FD68FD6A59C71DC003AECD00B202059FF48D4B

video turned out a bit too dark due to videocompression...

watch fullscreen & HD!!!

photo references:

2003-03-25-karbala.jpg

sandstorm.jpg

_39945471_09.jpg

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

did some scientific research about the subjective perception of athmospheric phenomena in the himalayan mountain spurs.

watch fullscreen & HD!!!

scientific evidence:

Purple_Haze_(Cannabis).jpg

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

WIP: shifting dust/sand tones (fogcolor) according to sun angle and overcast.

the different colors are more like placeholders than actual goal.

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

I make ppeffects almost 2 years, so if you need help i think i can help.

I make ppeffects almost 2 years, so if you need help i think i can help.

its not a question about ppeffects, but do you have any further informations about these variables, how they wok in detail and if they are adjustable while the game is running?

would it maybe even be possible to create a GUI with sliders to adjust them? if yes, someone probably would allready have been doing it?! do you have an idea ab out it?

class Lighting0
			{
				height = 0;
				overcast = 0.6;
				sunAngle = -10;
				sunOrMoon = 0;
				diffuse[] = {0.0297,0.0539,0.16005};
				diffuseCloud[] = {0.02673,0.04851,0.144045};
				ambient[] = {0,0.00055,0.0063};
				ambientCloud[] = {0,0.000495,0.00567};
				ambientMid[] = {0,0.00033,0.00378};
				ambientMidCloud[] = {0,0.000297,0.003402};
				groundReflection[] = {0,0.000198,0.002268};
				groundReflectionCloud[] = {0,0.000178,0.002041};
				bidirect[] = {0,0,0};
				bidirectCloud[] = {0,0,0};
				sky[] = {0.002,0.002,0.0025};
				skyAroundSun[] = {3.2e-005,0.000404,0.000938};
				fogColor[] = {0.097,0.065,0.032};	
				apertureMin = 0.6517;
				apertureStandard = 0.7448;
				apertureMax = 1.17;
				standardAvgLum = 0.0012;
				desiredLuminanceCoef = 0.118098;
				desiredLuminanceCoefCloud = 0.059049;
				luminanceRectCoef = 0.4;
				luminanceRectCoefCloud = 0.2;
				rayleigh[] = {0.00749,0.01388,0.02878};
				mie[] = {0.0046,0.0046,0.0046};
				cloudsColor[] = {0.097,0.065,0.032};
				swBrightness = 1;

Sorry, i can't help for this, i'm not so good about configs.

Sorry, i can't help for this, i'm not so good about configs.

ah nevermind thank you anyways, i might make use of pp later but atm i am trying to get the desired results by tweaking the islands lighting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@all

question on rayligh:

i was trying to figure out how the rayligh variable affects the world, so i applied purple (1,0,1) and green (0,1,0) to every other sunangle from -5° to 45°.

1. the color shifting takes place as one would anticipate BUT THEN as the sunangle is approaching 45° the clouds turn black!!! why is that?!

2. do i see it correctly that rayligh doesnt affect anything else but the outcome of the cloud color?

see in this timelapse:

wow, makes me remember Iraq.

hopefully not in an unpleasant way, have you ever experienced such a sandstorm yourself?

Yeah mate, nasty they are, when you have a particularly bad one you could be forgiven for thinking the Apocalypse is here.

Southern Iraq is brutally hot in the day time and oppressively humid at night time during the summers, so humid in fact that a thick humid fog brings visibility right in on some nights and water pours off most sloped surfaces as its normally around 150% humidity most nights (I over heard once on BFBS one night it was near 200%) early morning everything is soaking wet but by around 5am its all bone dry again as it starts to get hot again by that time in the height of summer.

During the spring/autumn its the rainy season (which I found surprising) where it can rain for days on end.

Edited by Bigpickle