Sign in to follow this  
biggins

Kryptek camo - WIP

I am thinking about adding the Yeti pattern. It is a white and gray pattern meant for snowy environments.

http://www.kryptek.com/wp-content/sdaolpu/2011/12/yeti1.jpg

Does anybody want this? Are there any snow maps that are popular?

I do not want to add Yeti if nobody will use it. It will make the download bigger and I will have to put in a lot of work to add it.

I am thinking about adding the Yeti pattern. It is a white and gray pattern meant for snowy environments.

http://www.kryptek.com/wp-content/sdaolpu/2011/12/yeti1.jpg

Does anybody want this? Are there any snow maps that are popular?

I do not want to add Yeti if nobody will use it. It will make the download bigger and I will have to put in a lot of work to add it.

+1! There is a winter chernaus mod out there. Would be perfect for snow missions! Please do.

Also, checkout the Alienz mod over here. Folks are talking about using your mod for Earth Defense Force near future soldiers vs Aliens attacking earth. Would be awesome to have all the camo variations for missions all over different settings.

Lastly, can you also produce a replacement file? So I can swap this mod to replace ARMY, DELTA, MARINES, MARINE Force Recon, British and Razor teams in ARMA 2 CO singleplayer scenarios?

I was playing with this mod and noticed the helmet and vests do not match the camo. Would it be possible to make the colors more complementary? Color the helmets to the same camo, match the vests, or at least complement tan or coyote colors to the nomad setup and not green for instance.

Lastly, any way to use a more modern helmet than the Mich? Something like ARMA 3's Protec would be awesome.

Overall, it looked incredible playing in the various settings.

I was playing with this mod and noticed the helmet and vests...

Thanks for your feedback. I assume you're talking about the Highlander pattern. This is a transitional pattern, which means it works best somewhere between jungle and desert environments. Here is a picture of Highlander in its ideal environment (grassland with trees).

th_Highlander_grassland.jpg

The clothes blend in with the grass and the helmet blends in with the trees. Highlander would also work in a wheat field or dry grass. I chose the green helmet because I thought it would work better in this environment. I tried the tan helmet for a while but it made Highlander look similar to Nomad. I wanted the two patterns to look different. Also, the vest is a darker shade of brown than Nomad because I figured it would be damp from rain or wet conditions. The Nomad vest would be dry and covered in sand, so it's a lighter shade.

any way to use a more modern helmet than the Mich?

My goal is to give the characters in my mod the same equipment as the vanilla characters. The idea is the U.S. Army picked a new camo pattern and the characters just changed clothes to comply with Army standards. I don't know that much about helmets so I just used the existing ones.

Thanks again for your feedback. Let me know if you see anything else you might want changed.

Would it be possible to make the colors more complementary? Color the helmets to the same camo...

I thought some more about what you said and decided the green helmet for Highlander is too bright and bold. So I changed the color so it's a brownish-green. I think it matches the camo better. I may change the hue a little more, so this isn't the final product. Thanks for the suggestion!

th_Mich_helmets2.jpg

Also, another person suggested including some units with no headgear so he can add his own. I will include a few "Light" units with no helmets or glasses/goggles.

Edited by Biggins

I think the updated helmets looks better.

Is there a headgear mod?

Also, I think the backpacks should match the primary camo of the shirt and pants. Its all nomad right now. I tried out urban and nomad backpack does work. But not for Typhon. It sticks out. It should be all Tyhpon including the vest and backpack since they want to blend more into the dark.

Lastly, can you make a custom URBAN DESERT pattern? A mix of urban and nomad? I think that works better for city urban setttings.

I loaded the current version into the Seattle map with AIA and ARMA3, and both Nomad and Urban stuck out too much. If mixed up like the ARMA3 OPFOR URBAN CAMO such as below, it would look much better.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20303&highlight=UNLOCK

units_gear_unlocked_v3_1_4.jpg

Otherwise, I love your mod. Please consider a replacement pbo for the delta and razor team for the ARMA 2 and CO campaigns.

I'm not sure if there is a headgear mod. The other guy may have been talking about adding glasses or balaclavas. I've seen other mods that included Light models with no helmet, so I figured that's what he was talking about.

The backpack was just a bonus. I assumed anyone who was serious about backpacks would use ACE or another mod so they could match the backpack to the clothing. I will consider adding backpacks in different patterns but the units will not spawn with the matching pattern. The player will have to write a script to make the player spawn with the matching backpack and add contents to it. I'm not sure anyone would do that. After all, if the enemy can see your back, you're already screwed.

I won't be adding any custom patterns. I'm just using the patterns Kryptek has released to the public. They haven't released an URBAN DESERT pattern. I think 5 patterns is enough. If the Army adopts Kryptek's patterns, they will probably only use Highlander, Nomad and Mandrake. So adding Urban and Typhon is already a stretch.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have added backpacks in Mandrake (green) and Typhon (black) patterns. All characters will spawn with the Highlander (brown) backpack but you can add your own scripting to remove the default pack and add a different one.

th_Mand_Typh_packs2.jpg

Those look awesome! Improved the use of those two camo tremendously.

Did you mean default backpacks in Nomad? I thought Highlander was the go between camo, but that is a really good choice too for default.

Kryptek Special Forces version 1.0 Release

Version 1.0 is finally here! After spending many hours working with GIMP photo editing software, I am happy to release this to the public. The biggest addition is US Special Forces replacement packs for each pattern. I have also added backpacks in Highlander, Mandrake and Typhon patterns. There are some example scripts in the 7z file to change backpacks and fill them with ammo. I did a lot of searching before I found a good script, then it took some trial and error before I got it working. I included these scripts to make it easier for novices.

My biggest thanks goes out to Massi for allowing me to use content from his 75th Rangers mod. Thanks to Valken and Crow_X for suggesting changes, even if I didn't take their advice. ;) Also thanks to R0adkill and Foxhound for adding this mod to the Armaholic website.

Here is a screenshot to go along with it. Click the thumb for full size.

th_Kryptek_Gold_pic4.jpg

Changelog version 1.0

• Added replacement packs for U.S. Army Special Forces.
  • Rebuilt all textures and added more detail.
  • Delta1 and Delta2 clothes look different. For example, Operator = Delta1 and Team Leader = Delta2.
  • Added backpacks in Typhon and Mandrake patterns. Refined texture for Highlander backpack.
  • Changed helmet color for Highlander and Urban.
  • Added Light units with no headgear (Rifleman and Medic).
  • Removed goggles and glasses from most of the characters to allow users to customize them.
  • Removed BAF and PMC addon requirements.

Requires Operation Arrowhead or Combined Operations.

Enjoy!

Edit: Download version 1.1 instead.

Edited by Biggins
Removed download link

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated mirror with fixed version

Oops, I found a small problem with version 1.0. Please use version 1.1 instead. Sorry Foxhound.

The main PBO, Replacement packs, HTML classname file and backpack filler scripts are included in this download.

Changelog v1.1

Added texture for drop leg strap on one of the Highlander models.

Download version 1.1

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5rmqbq3mjvii7g9/Biggins_Kryptek_1_1.7z

Edited by Biggins

Awesome. I've been using your pack as X-Com operatives in testing with the AlienZ mod. Love it. Now I need to run through A2/OA campaigns again.

NP on not using our suggestions. We only advise you because we like your mod so much! :D