Images (link to larger)

GQKovKn.jpg

TwmJA0s.jpg

2YwnxX3.jpg 74

vZ5M3Hq.jpg 43

0TvAwrY.jpg 23

3ZY4T4Y.jpg

Hello

The 16AA has been short of a two-seater training aircraft for a while, so Morris/Bravo93 and I have created some British textures for the Phantom released by Aplion of HAFM. Now, a bit of a disclaimer: This is the first retexturing ever undertaken, there are misalignments and the .paas are fairly disgusting to say nothing of the config. BUT the Phantom looks the part in the game, so I'm personally content, and hope that you will enjoy it! If you don't enjoy it and you have advice to lend, I'd be happy to hear that as well!

The pack features generic and airframe-specific textures: Two late 70's/80's main textures in Green/Grey and Grey; additionally 23, 43 and 74 Sqn are represented by respectively XV500, XV572 and ZE352. Lastly, a fictional Op Granby desert texture.

The green/grey ones are in fact completely based on the Aeghan Ghost in HAFM, but the future promises refinement and more/better textures.

F-4E, not F-4M

This addon is unfortunately not the proper FGR2, the F-4M. It is instead the F-4E, as used by the Hellenic Air Force and retextured for the RAF. This shows in the lack of a Marconi RWR fairing on top of the tail fin, an inbuilt M61 (as opposed to pod-carried) and a prolonged nose section with an instrument underneath it. Whether there are visual differences for the Spey engines I don't know, but sound is definitely one of the great potentials for this model -- and that goes for most aircraft in Arma.

Relevant changes to the 3d model can be made relatively quickly, so I would highly recommend anyone that desires a real RAF F-4M to contact Aplion and ask him about the relevant permissions. He has been exceptionally forthcoming with my own requests, which I can only thank him for; otherwise there would've been no British Phantom.

License

Aplion is the original author and permission for derivative use of the contents of this pbo should be requested from him.

This is waived for the enclosed files body_co.paa, wings_co.paa and doors_co.paa; you are free to use our retextures exactly as you see fit under the license BY-NC-SA 3.0 (free to distribute and modify; but with attribution, share-alike and non-commercial use).

I understand a license for parts of a pbo is awfully problematic, but if you approach Aplion I'm ridiculously certain he will be forthcoming and helpful!

Requirements

Myke's GLT Missilebox addon is necessary for the GLT 61 20mm. Should you wish to make the config not depend on this addon, simply replace the weapon and magazine (roughly line 416 in the cpp) with whatever you choose.

Other textures?

The released set of textures are a bit particular, owing mostly to the very, very many different practises of FGR2 paint jobs. I'm therefore happy to help with any changes people would like to make, if they think themselves unable to (however, it is very easy). Letters, logos, banners and things of that sort are easy to alter and move around, and changes to the config.cpp to create entries for new aircraft are easy to make (see spoiler).

Classnames

F4M_GREEN - Green and Grey

F4M_GREY - Grey

F4M_23 - 23 Sqn and so on

F4M_43

F4M_74

F4M_Des - Op Granby fictional textures

Retexture by making your own config

For those as unaccustomed to addons as myself.

The aircraft consists of three selections, "camo1" (body), "camo2" (wings) and "camo3" (wheel doors). If you wish to make your own addon for a retexture, get TexView through the BI tools, use that to convert to or from .paa / .png, and once you have your textures follow these steps:

!. For derivative use of any other element than all files body_co.paa, wings_co.paa, doors_co.paa or distribution of a modified config.cpp, please ask Apsilon's permission.

1. Create a new folder with your desired name for the addon, in the workspace you want it.

2. Add the textures you want. I will assume you call them wings_co.paa etc.

3. Add a text file, name it config.cpp

4. Enter the below code in the cpp, customized to your build. Exchange YOURADDON, YourF4, PINKNAT, Pink Country, F4_Pink and the paths you wish to use for the textures.

5. Pack your files so you have a pbo, here called F4_pink.pbo and referenced in the path to the textures. (BI tools again)

The pbo should ultimately be inside an addonfolder in a modfolder (eg. @PINKRAF\Addons\F4_Pink.pbo)

(Optional: Fuel tanks RAF_F4Fuel and RAF_F4Fuel_2 are respectively green-grey and grey.)

Launch and be happy.

class CfgPatches 
{
class YOURADDON 
{
	units[] = {YourF4};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 0.1;
	requiredAddons[] = {"CAAir2","CAWeapons","FGR"};
};
};

class CfgVehicleClasses
{
class Air{};
};

class CfgFactionClasses {
class PINKNAT {
	displayName = "Pink Country";
	priority = 100;
	side = 1;
};
};

class CfgVehicles {
class F4_RAF;	// Reference to external F4

class YourF4 : F4_RAF {
	faction = PINKNAT;
	displayName = "Pink F4";
	hiddenSelections[] = {"camo1","camo2","camo3"};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\F4_Pink\tex1\body_co.paa","\F4_Pink\tex1\wings_co.paa","\F4_Pink\tex1\doors_co.paa"};
};
/*
class YourSecondF4 : F4_RAF {
	faction = PINKNAT;
	displayName = "Pink F4 #2";
	hiddenSelections[] = {"camo1","camo2","camo3"};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\F4_Pink\tex2\body_co.paa","\F4_Pink\tex2\wings_co.paa","\F4_Pink\tex2\doors_co.paa"};
};
*/
};

If there are any uncertainties please do not hesitate to PM me, but best of luck with the advice you'll be getting!

Weapon loadout

Currently the aircraft uses the AIM7s, AIM9s and MK82s from its era. I found it very difficult to add weapons that didn't conflict with the model (particularly the centerline ALQ-101), so there's only one loadout throughout the aircraft. One GLT-based alternative that looked relatively good and wasn't too anachronistic was

weapons[] = {"raf_F4Fuelauncher","GLT_AIM9M_Launcher","GLT_AIM7_Launcher","GLT_AGM65_Launcher","GLT_MK81_Launcher"};
magazines[] = {"F4raf_1Rnd_Fuel_2","GLT_2Rnd_AIM9M","GLT_2Rnd_AIM7","GLT_2Rnd_AGM65","GLT_4Rnd_MK81"};

In the future I hope to make better textures; the current ones are either 1024x1024 or upsized to 2048 with corresponding loss of sharpness. Naturally I'd be happy for any help anyone could imagine they were able to offer.

Special thanks

My heartfelt thanks to Aplion of HAFM for enabling this retexture!

My gratitude to Glowbal, Zim and others in the 16AA that've helped out.

Morris/Bravo93 for smudgy patience.

Thank you BI for an extremely good and moddable game hobby (not that it can't get better and more open to mods!)

And lastly, especially, thank you to the people who frequent this site, answer my questions and contribute to the community. Who are the community.

Edited by SCAJolly

As a reskin she looks great. (The ole double-ugly is my all time favourite jet)

Whether there are visual differences for the Spey engines I don't know

The main visual difference is a different set of exhaust nozzles:

phantom_engines.jpg

But if you really want to split hairs, because the Speys were much larger and hungrier than the J-79s, they required an enlarged fuselage section, a slightly bigger droop leading up to the exhausts (one engine was actually mounted upside down in order to get them to fit!) and enlarged air intakes. The frontal area of the intakes was about 20% larger than that of the J-79 equipped Phantoms, which doesn't sound like much, but is certainly noticeable if you park 2 variants next to each other!

Whether there are visual differences for the Spey engines I don't know

The main visual difference is a different set of exhaust nozzles:

It'd probably be easier to make a Phantom F.3/F-4J(UK) than the Phantom FGR.2/F-4M out of the F-4E. The F.3s were ex US Navy F-4Js than were bought in the mid-80s, and retained the J-79 engines from their former career.

We only bought a squadron's worth though for No.74 Sqn, and the aircraft you've done for that squadron ZE352, was an F.3 rather than FGR.2

I did actually begin an F-4M model yonks ago (like 2-3 years ago) but never really got into it. I'd hapilly stick the .p3d of what I did do up if someone wants to have a crack at finishing it or grafting the nose onto the HAFM one to try and make an F-4J/F.3 (with Aplion's permission of course).

Toom.jpg

Oh yes, I can imagine that difference! I would also be greatly tempted, now that I've seen the Spey up close proper, to let the exhausts look more Spey-y.

@da12: Are you sure you're not inspired for the grafting yourself? :)

@da12: Are you sure you're not inspired for the grafting yourself? :)

Wish I could say yes, but I'm having enough of a struggle finding time where I can sit down and work on all the current projects I'm trying to make, never mind restarting old, forgotten projects or taking on new ones. :(

A few more textures are slowly in the works, RN first:

lV3e6Lz.jpg

Unfortunately the registration underneath the wing is damned near impossible -- all the underside textures are mirrored to the corresponding opposite surface to take up less space.

If there's any real interest I could put this texture up as a separate pbo right now, but I reckon I won't have a proper small batch for a real update until June. Hoping to get arctic textures, a variety of RN ones and assorted other squadrons. If there're any particular wishes from anyone then now'd certainly be a good time to suggest them.

Edited by SCAJolly

Hi !

The only thing i mentioned is that the Nosewheel turns into the wrong direction when turning left or right. Otherwise...finally a good F-4 !! Maybe i do some German Paints for it in the future ;)

Maxx

Hi mate

Yeah, that's a problem with the original. I wouldn't know how to change it without using the p3ds. Aplion was made aware of it. :) So for better and worse I can only be credited in part for the textures, not the model.

how the heck do I install this plane, i made an mod folder like its told still no enable square at mod selection screen.

how the heck do I install this plane, i made an mod folder like its told still no enable square at mod selection screen.

Make a folder called: (don’t forget the @, and name the folder whatever you want)

@Name

Inside that make another folder called:

Addons

Put your mod/addons 'pbo' and related 'bi sign' etc, in the addons folder.

Put your mod folder i.e. @Name, into your arma 2 folder i.e.:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

Should be able to enable it in-game, if thats the method you use.

That be the traditional way to do it.;).