Sign in to follow this  
WalkerDown

Users are falling down badly?

I sure hope you are not implying that Alpha testing is your thing simply because Arma 2 and Arma 3 run great on your system.

No i mentioned that because WalkerDown keeps mentioning performance issues, i'm pointing out that this alpha already runs better than ArmA 3 ArmA 2.

Edited by JW Custom

They have a development roadmap.

Please make it public.. I would say. Point by point. Not by no-sense announcements... until then I see really no progress on the matters that counts.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Here's your solution --> UNINSTALL --> come back and give it a try when it hit beta stage.

To find out they did nothing? No thanks.

Obviously alpha testing is not your thing.

Aren't we here to tell them what to fix?

ArmA 2 runs great on my system, ArmA 3 alpha runs REALLY great.

Arma2 runs so and so on my system: I mean it should technically run at very high FPS considering the gfx, but it "only" runs at around 80fps ... while ArmA3 runs HORRIBLY on my system, especially in MP, and my CPU and GPU is not used at all.. they must fix the engine, this is why we're here to tell them (like they doesn't know it already): FIX the damn engine because this game is doing horribly (today).

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

No i mentioned that because WalkerDown keeps mentioning performance issues, i'm pointing out that this alpha already runs better than ArmA 3 ArmA 2.

Alpha runs better than arma3? .. I think you're confused. Maybe you mean it runs better than ArmA2?... no it doesn't, and by a very large difference, unfortunately.

Also, i'm not talking only about performance, i'm talking about many reasons that are contributing to have the users leaving the game, performance is only the biggest, but we have: cheaters, lacks of contents... not having fun in general.

Also, i'm not talking only about performance, i'm talking about many reasons that are contributing to have the users leaving the game, performance is only the biggest, but we have: cheaters, lacks of contents... not having fun in general.

This is an ALPHA version.... more content will come, optimization will happen, there will always be cheaters but when the alpha lite keys is deactivated and BE activated they will decrease.

This is my last post in this thread.

Please make it public.. I would say. Point by point. Not by no-sense announcements... until then I see really no progress on the matters that counts.

Private companies don't typically divulge their core strategies to the general public.

To find out they did nothing? No thanks.

Your true thoughts on BI become clear.

Aren't we here to tell them what to fix?

No. We are here to help discover problems and provide useful feedback. They will decide what to fix. They're grown-ups, you see.

Arma2 runs so and so on my system: I mean it should technically run at very high FPS considering the gfx, but it "only" runs at around 80fps ... while ArmA3 runs HORRIBLY on my system, especially in MP, and my CPU and GPU is not used at all.. they must fix the engine, this is why we're here to tell them (like they doesn't know it already): FIX the damn engine because this game is doing horribly (today).

Congrats on your bitchin' rig, bro. Good brags. And you can be sure that they are aware of the current performance of the software they are responsible for.

Alpha runs better than arma3? .. I think you're confused. Maybe you mean it runs better than ArmA2?... no it doesn't, and by a very large difference, unfortunately.

The Arma 3 alpha build does indeed run better than A2. Significantly so, fortunately.

And for the last time, no one is leaving the game, because there is no game to leave.

So, now we know that you think A3 (which doesn't yet exist) sucks and will never be fixed. Why stay? Because you love the attention. This is the definition of "trolling". Good bye.

Not to go offtopic, but that certainly is true. It does run better than Arma 2. And, honestly, all I really want is stable FPS, and not FPS that's constantly dropping down and rising back up. Because you feel the stutter everytime the FPS drops (even from like 50 to 45). But I digress. The whole point of this thread (that the Alpha is losing people) is pointless. It's an Alpha. There will be a whole new influx of players once the game goes gold and the game is on the shelf. You can't judge the success of the game by how many people play multiplayer. The alpha is pretty successful based on how many preordered the game and are playing the game, whether online or editor. Since there's nothing more to really be said here, a mod should really close out this thread.

the biggest problem is the server mess, too many crappy wasteland servers, and its too hard to find a proper pvp game (dunno about coop people but they do their thing anyway)

bohemia should have implement a basic pvp gamemode to stick with right from the start, so that even if you try some other game modes you allways know there are plenty of servers running something approved.

the chaos with gamemode diversity and inconsistency of servers are not letting sustaining community bubbles emerge, its more like, if you find a server you like, you gonna stick to it, just like the other 30-40 people playing on it, and eventually it gets boring and repepitive after a while due to limited competition and diversion.

its really frustrating if you want to play but you cant find a propper server, because 90% of the servers are running the popular but more than incomplete wasteland mod and often have horrible performance as well compared to regular pvp servers with fewer assets on the map etc...

also a lot of servers dont seem to consider it neccessary anymore to update to the actual version, srsly?!

there are some pretty nice missions out there allready but the servers remain empty, because people get frustrated by seeding without success. (Litcon Real Combat for example is THE SHIT, but nobody plays it... where are the tactical teamplay pvp people these days? everybody is into random acarde pseudomods like wasteland?!?!?!)

i dont know what i want to say and my post has no structure or point but if you have any gamerbrains in you, you understand it anyway.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

AND WHY ARE THERE STILL SO FEW AiA SERVERS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!

So, now we know that you think A3 (which doesn't yet exist) sucks and will never be fixed. Why stay? Because you love the attention. This is the definition of "trolling". Good bye.

if he is a troll what are you?...a BIS minion! I am not defending walker but what he is saying about the performances issues are sadly true...and before you starting throwing the alpha excuse in realize this...its NOT really an Alpha...its ama 2+ that why everything is so easy to port over and the ME looks the same and it still using game spy...

it is the number one issue on the bug tracker and the reason alot of people have stopped playing...because they cant. the very worst part about this whole mess is that it is not new....they new about it 4 years ago and CHOSE to do nothing about it...which really makes no logical sense, your going to take your game and ask it to do more with out adding new horsepower....

if BIS could get just %10 of the BF3 market that would make them about...50 million?....there is really no excuse for what is happening right now.

Private companies don't typically divulge their core strategies to the general public.

Fixing tremendous bugs and having users actually playing your game is now... a "strategy"? :O

there is no game to leave.

ArmA3 isn't a game? :O

PS: this "troll" (as you're calling me) is actually running FOUR A3 servers (plus another two A2 servers), while one is currently the top most used A3 server (unfortunately it's wasteland.. I recognize), using his own money, so stop pretending to know who is who.. and why I am (we are) criticizing certain company "strategy".

Edited by WalkerDown

if he is a troll what are you?...a BIS minion! I am not defending walker but what he is saying about the performances issues are sadly true...and before you starting throwing the alpha excuse in realize this...its NOT really an Alpha...its ama 2+ that why everything is so easy to port over and the ME looks the same and it still using game spy...

it is the number one issue on the bug tracker and the reason alot of people have stopped playing...because they cant. the very worst part about this whole mess is that it is not new....they new about it 4 years ago and CHOSE to do nothing about it...which really makes no logical sense, your going to take your game and ask it to do more with out adding new horsepower....

if BIS could get just %10 of the BF3 market that would make them about...50 million?....there is really no excuse for what is happening right now.

You wanna leave? Get the fuck out. *shrug*

the game is perfectly playable and performance issues are often either only server sided or due to userfail.

and whoever is blaming a company for encourageing 0day modding (and modding in general), selling a fullgame for 25,- as earlyaccess/pre purchase/alpha and beta access (where other companys charge MORE than theregular price)

is a complete tool and should vanish from the internet forever.

the game is perfectly playable and performance issues are often either only server sided or due to userfail.

and whoever is blaming a company for encourageing 0day modding (and modding in general), selling a fullgame for 25,- as earlyaccess/pre purchase/alpha and beta access (where other companys charge MORE than theregular price)

The game is perfectly playable for you. It's a known fact that the game (and Arma 2) run better on older computers than it does on latest hardware. To say that all issues are because of "userfail" is a really simple-minded statement. Wasteland servers are not the reason for performance issues. I don't even play Wasteland and I have performance issues. Seriously, get over yourself and your "it runs fine for me" crap. Everyone knows that the game runs great for some people and not so great for others. That adds nothing to this discussion and it adds nothing to any performance discussion.

oh cmon...are you in denial??? it is the number one issue on the BUG TRACKER!! and the second most commented on thread in the A3 forums...and if you think this is all about "user fail" than why don't you right a HOW-TO that explains why the guy with the 3570k and 690 is the getting the same FPS as the player with the dual core and 560.

Somehow I partially agree, I think they are losing the rest of 90% of the gamers who are not interested in making things work but only jump in and play a fast shooter. Something smooth, optimized, easy to install and play. They have the game, the graphics, the surroundings but there is very little done to polish it and improve the gameplay. Too few changes in this direction and it appears, like you said, that only the textures and animations are changed every 4 years.... I remember I first uninstalled ArmA 6 years ago after 5 minutes just because of this first impression....I came back after 2 years more by accident, to discover the game at its real potential.

The biggest gamers pool is in multiplayer, not in editing... unfortunatelly. But multiplayer is laggy, system requirements are high, the movement is still clunky. There are other downsides too. They struggle to make a better game for editors and less for MP gamers, which is not bad, just not gonna bring more money. After 12 years, the servers list still doesn't have "favorites". Even so, Dayz had an unexpected number of users. There are still many more outside waiting to play smooth multiplayer games....

Edited by afp

Its very limited content and the co-op gets old very quickly due to the very poor AI system. It really feels too scripted. Co-op in a such big enviroment should be a lot of fun but it isnt. It manages to get repetive and extremely lineary. Im not sure if they will fix that since in every Arma game the AI has been very much scripted and behaved really basic.

Thats what the Arma multiplayer has focused on also, players versus AI which have never been THAT popular. What made Arma famous is the modes that introduced player interactivity, player versus player. DayZ and Wasteland.

I'm not sure if players are actually falling off ....(game window says 3750 in game right now @ 5:55 pm Atlantic, April 20) but I'm finding the experience to be somewhat disappointing as it seems there is no shortage of Wasteland hackers being major A-holes.

I've only played a total of 24 hrs in 8 visits. But in those 8 visits to Wasteland. in at least 4 of the visits, players (more experienced than myself) ended up texting and shouting profanities at hackers. Also on one occasion I encountered a strange occurrence ..... immediately and concurrent with my first "random" spawn....My cursor turner red and a "script menu" appeared and was available to use via my mouse wheel. At least one other player encountered the same anomaly and upon discovery alerted the rest of the players. To his dismay the other players started calling him a hacker (which I doubt he was....as he was claiming it just was there after his initial spawn.....same as me). I must admit I know absolutely nothing about hacking and if anything can be done to stop it ...but I do think that if this continues then the community eventually shrinks.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Well said !

Edited by pazitrek

Its very limited content and the co-op gets old very quickly due to the very poor AI system. It really feels too scripted. Co-op in a such big enviroment should be a lot of fun but it isnt. It manages to get repetive and extremely lineary. Im not sure if they will fix that since in every Arma game the AI has been very much scripted and behaved really basic.

Thats what the Arma multiplayer has focused on also, players versus AI which have never been THAT popular. What made Arma famous is the modes that introduced player interactivity, player versus player. DayZ and Wasteland.

I spent years making CO-OPs for a game called IL2, and i can tell that like anything in life there are some true artists when comes to making campaigns and CO-OPs, and scripting is where someones real talent can shine. some one who knows how to balance environment, objectives and player v AI v player along with all the possibilities that scripting allows can generate a mission that has non stop action is challanging and most of all fun.

the possibilities are here but if the performance issues are not fixed it will be for naught.

servers rant

By now you should be already aware that BI doesn't host any servers. All are community provided. You don't like how those are run, bitch about it to their owners, or better yet, start paying for your own one.

To give you an example, you cannot have a saying in how i am dealing with my own server for which i pay a monthly fee and provide it for free for everyone else...got it? So take it elsewhere.

I doubt bis is aiming for BF3 market anyways.

While there are performance issues with the current alpha, i doubt they can do something about it that quickly (less than 2 months since alpha was released). That said, i know for one it is frustrating for everyone (including myself) who has performance issues on a machine that is clearly under-utilized. pity indeed, i still have some (blind) faith.

That is still in alpha phase, hence in some way, unreleased. While i understand your concerns about anti-cheating (although BE will not be implemented until version 1.0 is out the door) and performance, your repeated "content" requests are just absurd in this stage of the development.

Your previous posts clearly shows your very little knowledge about game design and how such a business is dealt with.

another performance rant

Unfortunately A3 doesn't scale as it should. And given the fact that you are gaming on a (average) laptop doesn't help all that much either.

I will only talk about myself: i will never judge a book by its cover, and neither i will judge a game by a development version. All one can do is bring attention towards issues, bugs and hickups. But this very thread is so far from that...It is basically about having BE available NOW (not gonna happen and there is already such a thread open), as well as the declining MP userbase due to (according to the OP), lack of content (which again is expected at this stage, and it is clearly pointed out on the alpha page).

lol, neither DayZ nor Wasteland were what made(makes) ArmA franchise special. If you were to say CTI, maybe i would have taken you more serious (that and your registration date).

Fixing tremendous bugs and having users actually playing your game is now... a "strategy"? :O

I'll assume you've never owned or run a business of any kind. Regardless, the development roadmap is a strategy, yes.

It will be when it's released in several months. Right now, we only have an alpha build to mess around with.

PS: this "troll" (as you're calling me) is actually running FOUR A3 servers (plus another two A2 servers), while one is currently the top most used A3 server (unfortunately it's wasteland.. I recognize), using his own money, so stop pretending to know who is who.. and why I am (we are) criticizing certain company "strategy".

Personally, I would never rent a server for an alpha build. It's like opening up a bakery to sell cake batter. But good for you, I guess. Links?

I'll assume you've never owned or run a business of any kind.

Your assumption is wrong (like your other opinions after all). :D

Regardless, the development roadmap is a strategy, yes.

Fixing bugs (with public bug-tracker) is something to "hide"? You're secretly adjusting the game without telling us as "business strategy"? Oh my...

It will be when it's released in several months. Right now, we only have an alpha build to mess around with.

So, in your opinion a game in alpha is not a game? :O

Personally, I would never rent a server for an alpha build.

This IS exactly the moment to let everyone know what's wrong, or there won't be time to fix it (release time).

The game is heavily bugged, and on the performance side there's so much to do with a very little time to release (assuming they are aiming for a 2013 release), what are you waiting? A miracle?

lol, neither DayZ nor Wasteland were what made(makes) ArmA franchise special. If you were to say CTI, maybe i would have taken you more serious (that and your registration date).

I laughed at this as well. This guy wasn't around when Evolution, Domination and Warfare were the most played missions (all PvAI btw).

Hello there

have we not gone a little off topic? (from original post, a bit derailed imho)

Rgds

LoK

Your assumption is wrong (like your other opinions after all). :D

Fixing bugs (with public bug-tracker) is something to "hide"? You're secretly adjusting the game without telling us as "business strategy"? Oh my...

So, in your opinion a game in alpha is not a game? :O

This IS exactly the moment to let everyone know what's wrong, or there won't be time to fix it (release time).

The game is heavily bugged, and on the performance side there's so much to do with a very little time to release (assuming they are aiming for a 2013 release), what are you waiting? A miracle?

You have chosen the well-trampled path of the obtuse. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Might aswell give up explaining anything at this point.

Theres 10 pages with a ton of different, and good, opinions, but OP has his own and from the looks of it we cant do anything to change it.

So theres no point in discussing this further, none of what has been written has "sunk in", as far as the OP goes, and most likely never will.

You will just have to wait and see whats gonna happen, nothing else to do atm, since we all know BI doesnt care about demanding impatient "kids" like this tbh.

I still have full confidence in BI and im 100% sure they will make a great game. Im just thankful its not a game for everybody, but some people havent figured it out yet.