Sign in to follow this  
WalkerDown

Users are falling down badly?

Hello there

I'm having a feeling of dejavu.

Yes, it's good to highlight issues that may have been plaguing the engine for a long time, but if they are such large issues then Im sure the devs are already aware of them.

As to the MP numbers, personally I dont think there's enough content to keep a large playerbase happy at the moment but that's because, as other folk have pointed out, it is indeed a test version of the game.

At his time I dont think the active online playerbase is of vast import. Yes, it would be nice to have more folk regularly playing MP *and* raising tickets but how many out of that "6000" would have done that? Very few. What we have online, mostly, are hardcore players and theyre most likely to give feedback.

I think you worry unduly.

Rgds

LoK

WD, maybe you should send a job application to EA... Based on your statements, opinions and knowledge I think that they might be interested to hire you :icon_twisted:

I am plain refusing to get a good game in until we have an anti cheat system in place, as the game right now is ruined by kids and hackers! Great game ruined by idiots! I'm sure the numbers will pick up when the anti cheat system is in place.

You are absolutly right, because we player are official alpha testers.

If you are not happy with this, uninstall ArmA3 Alpha and wait for the full release. Actually you just preordered ArmA3 via Steam and BIS allows(!!!) you to play an early alpha. Nothing more!

Ehhh, you may think of it as a preorder but Steam treats it as as a regular purchase instead of a pre-purchase (the way that normal Steam preorders work) which does matter as far as the possibility of refunds.
This iteration of the RV engine is one of the most advanced engines out there. Why you are calling it old? Because it's not newly created from scratch?
If RV were so fundamentally broken that they had to start from scratch, I think Maruk might just cancel the Arma series altogether. :p
Most of todays engines has been in development over years and in many iterations without complete redesign (e.g. Elders scrolls).
Mind you, even Arma 3 is just like that, "in development over years and in many iterations without complete redesign"... except not churning out sequel year after year and with noticeable graphics improvement in between installments. :p
coz ppl will ask you why the hell you decided to go on Steam if you recognize that the game isn't ready to hit the mass. :)
DnA already explained it in the Steam announcement -- because they were already so far behind in development due to unspecified problems besides the Greek incident that Maruk basically said "between going Steam-exclusive and slipping into 2014, go Steam-exclusive" and specifically disagrees/refuses all of the "I'd wait til 2014 for non-Steam" people. The "alpha access" bit is essentially an *ahem* outsourcing of the development burden (or rather the QA burden) from already-overworked devs to a wider player base and some great PR spin on BI's part...

... and if the devs are onboard with changes that the old hardcores don't like, then "BF and COD kiddies" can make a nice scapegoat. Brilliant! :icon_twisted:

(As far as the Real Virtuality engines, WalkerDown, I'm just going to say this: abandon all hope, because I'm not sure that BI devs know how to make anything else. :lol: Plus, dirty little secret here... frankly, there's nowhere else to go for "broad combined-arms sim with moddability", because no one else feels like competing with BI so frankly BI has this niche all to themselves.)

Isn't this just another thinly veiled thread discussing topics that were already closed?

Isn't this just another thinly veiled thread discussing topics that were already closed?

Absolutely.

Edited by ProfTournesol

What are you talking about? I didn't opened a similar thread, and i don't see why this thread should be closed, you can see with your eyes the users falling (pls see the graphs, they aren't compiled by me), and we're discussing WHY they are falling and how to counter-fight it (assiming it is a problem). There's nothing to "censor" (neither i think that censor it would help anyone).

-nvm-

not worth the time :)

Edited by Messiah

(assuming it is a problem)

It isn't. That's the point. There is nothing to "fight" here. When the game is released, there will be plenty of people playing it. Take the drama elsewhere.

counter-fight it.

Counter fight what?

This is an alpha which is meant for bug fixing. I'm quite sure a lot of people got A3 alpha out of curiousity and will return when game is more stable and have more content(like mentioned before).

It isn't. That's the point. There is nothing to "fight" here. When the game is released, there will be plenty of people playing it. Take the drama elsewhere.

This assumption is based on what? We can only hope they:

1) Will resolve the performance issue by the game launch;

2) There will be no more cheaters/hackers by the game launch;

These, plus the lack of contents are the main reason of why today the users are dropping. So you say: "when the game is released...", we should wait that day to eventually discover that we was wrong? There won't be time to fix by then.

This thread has no sense. It's a freakin Alpha. 4 showcase missions, few weapons, few vehicles, small map. What exactly is supposed to keep people playing for over a month? I'm actually surprised how many people are playing the Alpha!

hmm walker.

1) They are working on it, but its a combination of a lot of things, not easy to resolve tbh. + we need Nvidia and AMD to do driver optimization aswell, BI cant do anything about that.

2) Will NEVER happen, there will alwasy be cheaters and hackers, but we can hope it will get better down the road. But dont expect BI to win that battle tbh.

And i believe Harzach is basing the "assumption" on years of arma experience, aswell as a good amount of knowledge about how BI works and what they priorities.

But he is right, there really isnt any problems. We can test the game just fine at this stage and thats what matters.

Another thing is, if you make a proper mission, it will have good performance. Many of the "bad performance" missions are bad because they are poorly made tbh, including some of my own work.

Ive tryed about 50-70 different missions by now and its very clear to see one of the biggest performance issues are poorly made missions and servers with a "crappy" setup and settings.

+ the fact that HC isnt working proberly, that in it self is also a place we can get major performance increase, when it works the way it should. Another thing they are working on.

I still dont believe the amount of players at this very time, reflects the amount of players that actually wants to play the game on release.

We are testing atm, not playing.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=107410q33930&from=1246370400000&to=End+Time

See how A2 OA still has many players? Whilst the novelty of the alpha has died down massively it's still almost rivaling A2 CO and Dayz currently. I know for a fact that of the Aussie clans only one has made the switch to A3 as their main game (AAF). The others are still sticking to ACE + A2. With full release (and ACE, oh my god I need ACE so badly) the number of players will be much larger.

You are absolutly right, because we player are official alpha testers.

If you are not happy with this, uninstall ArmA3 Alpha and wait for the full release. Actually you just preordered ArmA3 via Steam and BIS allows(!!!) you to play an early alpha. Nothing more!

This iteration of the RV engine is one of the most advanced engines out there. Why you are calling it old? Because it's not newly created from scratch? Because it has no fancy new name and just a new number?

Most of todays engines has been in development over years and in many iterations without complete redesign (e.g. Elders scrolls).

I think a mod should close this thread, as we move in circles here.

sorry but i have to correct you on that point, an "advanced" engine takes full advantage of available hardware ....and not make the minimum requirement a 6 year "old" video card..... and a part of being "development" means evolving your engine in parallel with advances in hardware.

Edited by ric

This assumption is based on what? We can only hope they:

1) Will resolve the performance issue by the game launch;

2) There will be no more cheaters/hackers by the game launch;

These, plus the lack of contents are the main reason of why today the users are dropping. So you say: "when the game is released...", we should wait that day to eventually discover that we was wrong? There won't be time to fix by then.

Stop being crazy. When the game hits beta and retail we'll have more content, more people, more modding, improved gameplay and stability and anti-cheating systems.

sorry but i have to correct you on that point, an "advanced" engine takes full advantage of available hardware ....and not make the minimum requirement a 6 year "old" video card..... and a part of being "development" means evolving your your engine in parallel with advances in hardware.

People want better looking visuals, but they don't want to upgrade their dinosaur machines.

There will always be people out there that demand unrealistic things.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=107410q33930&from=1246370400000&to=End+Time

See how A2 OA still has many players? Whilst the novelty of the alpha has died down massively it's still almost rivaling A2 CO and Dayz currently. I know for a fact that of the Aussie clans only one has made the switch to A3 as their main game (AAF). The others are still sticking to ACE + A2. With full release (and ACE, oh my god I need ACE so badly) the number of players will be much larger.

you do realize, that arma 3 is still alpha version? You do compare it against final version with lots of addons/dlcs. As for alpha version, it's still impressive, since it's very close to final prequel. http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=107410q33930&from=1365868478

This thread has no sense. It's a freakin Alpha. 4 showcase missions, few weapons, few vehicles, small map. What exactly is supposed to keep people playing for over a month? I'm actually surprised how many people are playing the Alpha!

They could concentrate to fix issues that most ppl are asking for, or at least by giving much more detailed information of what they are doing. At the moment I only see generic reports (most of them are written in a pure marketing language) with very little details.

They could keep the interest high by providing (even little) more contents, making the whole experience a little exciting every week.

They could speed-up certain additions: like RCON and BE to give to the admins better control of their servers and starting implementing an anti-cheat.

There's many thing they could do to keep players "busy" while the game progresses.. but I only see minor bug fixes to be honest, while the major issues are still there untouched.

Did you see any FPS improvement from the day1 in example? I did not.

They could concentrate to fix issues that most ppl are asking for, or at least by giving much more detailed information of what they are doing. At the moment I only see generic reports (most of them are written in a pure marketing language) with very little details.

They could keep the interest high by providing (even little) more contents, making the whole experience a little exciting every week.

They could speed-up certain additions: like RCON and BE to give to the admins better control of their servers and starting implementing an anti-cheat.

There's many thing they could do to keep players "busy" while the game progresses.. but I only see minor bug fixes to be honest, while the major issues are still there untouched.

Here's your solution --> UNINSTALL --> come back and give it a try when it hit beta stage.

Obviously alpha testing is not your thing.

ArmA 2 runs great on my system, ArmA 3 alpha runs REALLY great.

They have a development roadmap. Everything has a schedule. They aren't going to rush anything through because you really really want it right now.

Here's your solution --> UNINSTALL --> come back and give it a try when it hit beta stage.

Obviously alpha testing is not your thing.

ArmA 2 runs great on my system, ArmA 3 alpha runs REALLY great.

I sure hope you are not implying that Alpha testing is your thing simply because Arma 2 and Arma 3 run great on your system... Once again, for all these "Arma 3 runz amazing" posters, you are helping nothing by bragging about how well the game runs on your system. Besides, there's already a performance thread. And this thread is pointless so it should be closed.