Sign in to follow this  
WalkerDown

Users are falling down badly?

610 people not enough for you to play MP? I usually play with 10-20. None of people I play with has stopped playing ArmA3. They just don't do it 24/7.

Honestly? Nope, it's nowhere enough, neither in alpha *IF* you want to have some fun.. considering that in the moment i were typing, those 610 users were spreaded on 200 servers (do your counts), so the servers were you really had a chance to play and get some fun were in fact four, and all of them with a ping too high for me (AUS/US). So it's really affecting the playing atm... i dunno if in a month from now we still have those 600 plrs online, if we won't have more contents, less cheaters, and better performance.

Honestly? Nope, it's nowhere enough, neither in alpha *IF* you want to have some fun.. considering that in the moment i were typing, those 610 users were spreaded on 200 servers (do your counts), so the servers were you really had a chance to play and get some fun were in fact four, and all of them with a ping too high for me (AUS/US). So it's really affecting the playing atm... i dunno if in a month from now we still have those 600 plrs online, if we won't have more contents, less cheaters, and better performance.

"...it's nowhere enough, neither in alpha *IF* you want to have some fun..."

I think you misunderstand the point of an ALPHA. It's not meant for you to have fun. It's meant for you to alpha TEST the game. Another thing, I know you're relatively new here (sure, you maybe have played previous titles, but doubt it judging by your comments), but the core focus of the Arma series isn't multiplayer. That said, you cannot judge the success of Arma 3 or the longevity of Arma 3 by how many players are playing multiplayer. You judge that by how many are playing the game period. If your sole focus is on having fun, then I think you don't need to be participating in the Alpha. That's harsh, but the point of an Alpha test or a Beta test is to find bugs and test, not to have a "chance to play and get some fun".

"...it's nowhere enough, neither in alpha *IF* you want to have some fun..."

I think you misunderstand the point of an ALPHA. It's not meant for you to have fun. It's meant for you to alpha TEST the game. Another thing, I know you're relatively new here (sure, you maybe have played previous titles, but doubt it judging by your comments), but the core focus of the Arma series isn't multiplayer. That said, you cannot judge the success of Arma 3 or the longevity of Arma 3 by how many players are playing multiplayer. You judge that by how many are playing the game period. If your sole focus is on having fun, then I think you don't need to be participating in the Alpha. That's harsh, but the point of an Alpha test or a Beta test is to find bugs and test, not to have a "chance to play and get some fun".

Right.. if only we was in a studio to QA our game, unfortunately (luckily) the game was on Steam, that is something different, but i won't discuss about this now.

Ever consider that so many people bought the alpha just to lock in the price? I'll admit that I'm one of those who spends most of my Arma time in the Editor.

Ever consider that so many people bought the alpha just to lock in the price? I'll admit that I'm one of those who spends most of my Arma time in the Editor.

Same here, also bought it because I know my laptop has marginal performance so at least I can make missions whilst I wait to get a new pc.

You really don't get it

You really don't get it

Eventually none of who have spent the money on it have got it... except you and other 610 ppl. ;)

Eventually none of who have spent the money on it have got it... except you and other 610 ppl. ;)

2,272 people, you mean.

Still not getting it, do you? Let me spell it for you:

You have paid for a game that is not released yet. By pre-ordering it at a discounted price, you have been granted access to the alpha build. Reason for such a move from bi part is to have aditional feedback and enlarge the test bet. If you have fun by haunting bugs, then so be it, but it is far from their scope. They were't looking for hype, nor for "amused" players.

The fact that you can't grasp what has been previously said regarding the scope and the "on purpose" lack of content (so that players can stay focused on testing features rather than get lost through content), beats me.

As far as i am concerned, i have played less than 20h so far. Reason is lack of time, or rarely when i have free time, i prefer spending it preparing my own content for a3. I do agree with you on performance issues, but i wouldn'tgo as far as saying it is a real show-stopper, but rather a sour let-down especially considering the fact that bi has not officially aknoledged the issue.

Oh, and i really couldn't care less about the size of the public mp scene.

Might aswell give up explaining to Walker mate.

This has turned into the exact same discussion he has in another thread.

He doesnt understand its an Alpha, he believes by getting early acces through steam you have bought the alpha and not the full game.

Several have tryed and given up, he cant see it.

Edited by Byrgesen

Not to mention public gaming has never been huge in arma to begin with (Arma not dayZ so don't even start)

Not to mention public gaming has never been huge in arma to begin with (Arma not dayZ so don't even start)

Very true, im with a group of 40 people playing 4-5 times a week on our own server and we could not have a better place to test things and to have fun at the same time.

Thats what its all about tbh, private well managed servers.

I've had to stop because a lot of my classes are having last-minute exams and finals week is coming up. Also, just think of all the communities that play Arma 2 switching over to Arma 3. This situation of a lack of "ppl" has many factors that all contribute.

I think the pattern may be: people who are intending to purchase the game anyway are taking advantage of the current offer, played for a while to see the state of things, and have now gone off to do other things until more content/finished gameplay is apparent.

Thats what I'm doing

Dan;2376292']Same here' date=' also bought it because I know my laptop has marginal performance so at least I can make missions whilst I wait to get a new pc.[/quote']Pretty much; the point is there's plenty of reasons for Arma's "appearing online" player base to wax and wane as time goes on, and heck, sometimes it really is a case of "we bought because it was a hyped release at only $33 but which we heard was going to cost more if we bought later"...

What, some of you actually thought that a BI would somehow be "above" using the same "steep discount" impulse buying technique that Valve is infamous for? :p And notice how we don't have "Arma 2 alpha" numbers to compare against? ;)

I'll agree though that the limited alpha content may well be a factor, but no way could people who were paying attention before the release not have seen that coming.

Right.. if only we was in a studio to QA our game, unfortunately (luckily) the game was on Steam, that is something different, but i won't discuss about this now.

If I go to ArmA3 Alpha in steamshop, there is this gamedescription:

Be one of the first to play Arma 3 and contribute to its development by providing feedback

Having an alpha in steam is NOT something different since steam is now offering their "Eearly Access"-program. You buy an Alpha for helping the developer tracing bugs and getting feedback. Nothing more. You got what you bought.

... guys, guys, guys! You are the QA :icon_twisted:

NeoArmageddon is correct though re: the purpose of the alpha and re: the existence of the "early access" program -- though it's more of "you buy a game during admitted/declared alpha with the promise of free/at-no-extra-charge updates as time goes on", which is what's going on with Arma 3.

though it's more of "you buy a game during admitted/declared alpha with the promise of free/at-no-extra-charge updates as time goes on", which is what's going on with Arma 3.

Exact.. since the developers have more other ways of beta testing a product, when you decide to go public you cannot simply say: "it's alpha, you cannot complain".. coz ppl will ask you why the hell you decided to go on Steam if you recognize that the game isn't ready to hit the mass. :)

Ppl we have aboard aren't beta-testers.. but they (we) are beta-testing while PLAYING, and to play you need to get fun.. coz we're not being paied, but the opposite!

Plus what "contribution" you're talking about? Ppl are: bored of no contents, bored of a old engine that gives very bad performance, bored of cheaters... can you explain me what's exactly the "contribution" we should give? The only contribution i see is ppl abandoning the game because they see no progress.

Exact.. since the developers have more other ways of beta testing a product, when you decide to go public you cannot simply say: "it's alpha, you cannot complain".. coz ppl will ask you why the hell you decided to go on Steam if you recognize that the game isn't ready to hit the mass. :)

Ppl we have aboard aren't beta-testers.. but they (we) are beta-testing while PLAYING, and to play you need to get fun.. coz we're not being paied, but the opposite!

Plus what "contribution" you're talking about? Ppl are: bored of no contents, bored of a old engine that gives very bad performance, bored of cheaters... can you explain me what's exactly the "contribution" we should give? The only contribution i see is ppl abandoning the game because they see no progress.

"contribution" was already described and even bolded, to "contribute to its development by providing feedback".

Ppl we have aboard aren't beta-testers...

You are absolutly right, because we player are official alpha testers.

If you are not happy with this, uninstall ArmA3 Alpha and wait for the full release. Actually you just preordered ArmA3 via Steam and BIS allows(!!!) you to play an early alpha. Nothing more!

bored of a old engine

This iteration of the RV engine is one of the most advanced engines out there. Why you are calling it old? Because it's not newly created from scratch? Because it has no fancy new name and just a new number?

Most of todays engines has been in development over years and in many iterations without complete redesign (e.g. Elders scrolls).

I think a mod should close this thread, as we move in circles here.

Ppl are: bored of no contents, bored of a old engine that gives very bad performance, bored of cheaters...

If you hate the game this much, why are you still here?

Could you not do us all a favour and take your negative attitude elsewhere?

If you hate the game this much, why are you still here?

Exactly because i do NOT hate this game, i'm here... together with other thousand arma fans that have eyes and a working brain to figure out that something is not not working. Me (we) don't want to wait the last minute (when the game will be released) to discover that it suffers the same problems of today (that are the same problem we discovered years ago witn ArmA2), instead we are here to ask the developers to fix the issues.

Could you not do us all a favour and take your negative attitude elsewhere?

I'm actually do you a favour remaining, since few ppl are so blinded by the "fanboysm" to not figure the issues. You should thank me instead, without ppl like us you'll be playing CoD today. ;)

Wow, just wow....

The arrogance is incredible.

Theres a huge difference between being "blinded by fanboyism" and being a realist tbh.

And you arent asking about anything, you are demanding to your left and right all day long mate. Also a big difference.

Nope, it's nowhere enough, neither in alpha *IF* you want to have some fun..

I have fun.

considering that in the moment i were typing, those 610 users were spreaded on 200 servers (do your counts)

So what? Random public multiplayer is the worst experience you can have in this game, a lot of people play it organized and they won't be online 24/7 especially in an alpha with its lack of content at present.

Edited by metalcraze