Sign in to follow this  
toiletguy

GPU usage while firing

I found out by surprises with my FRAPS on that if i fired my gun, my FPS would drop down around 15 FPS. I've tested it by looking up to the sky and i had around 80 FPS. While firing my MX in the full auto mode then FPS would drop to 70'ish FPS. Why would the projectile calculating uses the GPU? Anyone else notice this symptom as well?

Are you sure it's projectile calculation? It could be the muzzle flash or the exhaust smoke effects eating away the fps.

If you're shooting tracer I think that would contribute to it as well. When I was using my GTX 590 and buzzing around in the helo I noticed that when I fired the miniguns, and took return fire, the tracers going both ways made a noticeable drop, especially when firing down into forested areas. I've honestly never looked at myself in 3rd person to see if it's modeling the brass ejecting (which would eat a few fps), but I can hear them falling when I'm on a steel structure. I've changed my cards since then with no troubles at all.

Aight, bad call. It was a muzzle flash and smokes eating a huge FPS away. FPS won't drop in third person though but eating away 15 FPS in first person is huge difference while i'm trying to focus my fire on the enemy.

Why do you think that fps drop is in connection with GPU?

I have the same problem. Firing weapons, especially on full auto, is an FPS killer while the weapon is firing. You should post the issue on the feedback tracker. For some reason I've never been able to login to it :(

I think the smoke is an issue here (exhaust smoke in this case). Every time I use smoke grenade - my FPS almost cuts in half. I hope they can optimize this by release..

I have noticed this as well, but last dev patch seems to suffer more from it.