icewindo

Post Apocalyptic Units

Hey,

here's the first release of my post-apocalyptic units for A3.

This package contains the Seeker Faction. I created these units for A2 some time ago but never finished/released them. These people have spent alot of time in the wastes and use simple hand-crafted weapons like bows and improvised weapons made of old, pre-war equipment.

Due the hazardous environment, their physiology has changed abit (red eyes) and they're covered in dust.

ii3hqusi.jpg

m5pqknyh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Download

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20275

Thanks for the mirror :)

Videos

s0Y947CS4TQ

And this one for an unfair battle:

Credits/License

No Commercial use allowed. If you'd like to cannabilize this for dayz/wasteland/...sandbox, please ask me first.

Icewindo - Some new models and stuff

BIS - ArmA1/ArmA3 Models and documentation on A3 porting

Thanks to Toadball for his A3 weapon example - I used it to align the sights properly

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151659-M16A4-Example

Various sound files from the FreeSound Project:

http://www.freesound.org/people/knufds/sounds/78776/

http://www.freesound.org/people/Erdie/sounds/65733/

Known Problems

- Arrow directly reloaded an Magazine reload and not after reload (different in my A2 config, I had to change the source from isEmpty to HasMagazine as isEmpty doesn't seem to work)

- also modelSpecial doesn't seem to be implemented in A3 ("handler not implemented" so I can't use it either (this would attach the arrow like a rifle grenade in OFP)

- Arrow not seen in flight (The way I did in A2, doesn't work anymore - although I added in a physx lod the arrows won't do any damage and bounce off - load "ice123_bowmagFail" to see for yourself)

- wound rvmats dont work yet (although they're there and configured... tsk)

- some weighting may need improvement, especially the lower robe model (partly done on male model)

- female units don't have any female sounds (didn't spot female voice data yet :p )

- shadow refinement needed (I used the shadow lod of the a3 example files and adjusted it slightly)

- rifle has no shadow yet

Edited by Icewindo

Good to see these in A3 Mr. Windo. Thanks for the release!

Awesome work icewindo - original and very well thought out nice work.

Thanks, yep at the moment it's abit unfair letting these dudes fight against normal forces, you need like 3 times the numbers for them to win lol.

But that was my intention - give them really "crappy" and improvised weaponary as expected in a post-apocalyptic environment long time after factories stopped working.

Woow, jsut.. wow. Loved the "Commoners" back in A2 already. Any chance these "Seekers" will be backward ported into ArmA 2, and the Commoners forward to 3? Would love to use these new units in A2 as we still play it for now. Especially the Bow & Arrows is amazing, and all of these selfmade looking guns.

Excellent Icewindo..!

Can I ask how you got that dusty particle effect in the first vid please?

are people just going to bestow praise on any and all user created content? there are some serious problems with this model. the square shoulder area for example. it looks he's wearing a cardboard box underneath the robe. wish people would provide actual feedback instead of just glancing over things and screaming "omg best mod evar". you think you're helping modders improve their craft that way?

back on topic:

there is a lack of slack on the lower back area, unless there's a belt, it shouldn't be that tight. the shoulder bag straps look like it's floating, it should be more flush against the shoulder area. at the bottom of the robe, you might want to add some weigh to the shin so it doesn't jab out like that and looks more natural draped down over the knee. overall, add more undulations to the general shape of the robe. right now there's a lot of straight edges and lines.

are people just going to bestow praise on any and all user created content? there are some serious problems with this model. the square shoulder area for example. it looks he's wearing a cardboard box underneath the robe. wish people would provide actual feedback instead of just glancing over things and screaming "omg best mod evar". you think you're helping modders improve their craft that way?

I really think you should be more concerned with your own behaviour. Coming into a mod maker's thread and bashing people who like the addon certainly is doing Icewindo no favours. If you think there is more value in an honest and detailed critique, by all means, go ahead. Icewindo will decide whether or not he agrees. Continue to bash other members and I promise you it will only end poorly for you, and who will give addon makers the feedback they need then?

@Foxhound

Thanks for the mirror, added it :) .

There's an 8 lines long log with known problems in the first post. I think that gives a hint that these units are not in a final stage. I've allready adjusted the cardbox stuff abit compared the original model - the model I'm using goes back to my first knights experiments in 2008 and it's all done in O2 (as are all of my models) . Will have a look to make it more organic.

back on topic:

there is a lack of slack on the lower back area, unless there's a belt, it shouldn't be that tight. the shoulder bag straps look like it's floating, it should be more flush against the shoulder area. at the bottom of the robe, you might want to add some weigh to the shin so it doesn't jab out like that and looks more natural draped down over the knee. overall, add more undulations to the general shape of the robe. right now there's a lot of straight edges and lines.

It's pretty hard to weight a robe properly so it works right when you kneel and run (only ArmA2 units that wear a longer skirt was the old grandma model or the takistani woman afaik and they don't get past walking speed). The I44 Mod also had this problem.

You can see some of the improvements allready on the male model - while the block area under the robe get's visible, I've allready noticed that. I plan to move that area up the waist at some point and in proper legs again (I've recycled this model from my old stargate mod work).

Woow, jsut.. wow. Loved the "Commoners" back in A2 already. Any chance these "Seekers" will be backward ported into ArmA 2, and the Commoners forward to 3? Would love to use these new units in A2 as we still play it for now. Especially the Bow & Arrows is amazing, and all of these selfmade looking guns.

Thanks, yep I'd like to have the other units ingame too though, will have a look at mid may if I can do something on them. Backwards port should be less work as it all can be fitted onto one model.

Excellent Icewindo..!

Can I ask how you got that dusty particle effect in the first vid please?

Yep sure, it's the ash/fog effect from the A2 EW campaign. It might even be in the A3 functions, but I didn't check them yet.

http://pastebin.com/KWhpzd9T (particle paths replaced for it to work in A3)

Also see this post for the original a2 script:

http://www.kylania.com/ex/?p=128

Add that to a "effects.sqf" file and then execute it in the init.sqf :

if (not isdedicated) then {

execvm "effects.sqf"

};

Edited by Icewindo

Thanks, yep I'd like to have the other units ingame too though, will have a look at mid may if I can do something on them. Backwards port should be less work as it all can be fitted onto one model.

Great to hear. Hope to see both, the Seeker units and their weapons in ArmA 2 soon then. I've already played hours and hours - with the Commoners - against Russians and Zombies in Namalsk, and they go perfectly with your Hazamat Units (You know, high-tech Scientist seeking help from the locals / inhabitants of the 'zone' while a strict military pushes everyone around, that works great together). The Seekers would perform great as a group of elite survival loners which can basically construct anything of their own and are totally indipendent of any social or civil structure. Addons like this can really get you creative.

Hey icewindo, love this addon.

I'm making a mission for my friends with it ;)

Are you still working on it btw ?

It'd be interesting if they had improvised carts or hillbilly armored cars made from the wrecks from the war. Just a thought.

Still a nice looking mod, of course. Is it still going, though?

Edited by Kilroy the Nerd

I tested today, it's nice unit, do you want new sound for gun?

Hi,

This looks a great mod. Many thanks.

However, I am having trouble accessing the units:

I have the mod set up in my directory like this:

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\ice_apo_seekers.pbo

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\ice_apo_seekers.pbo.ice123.bisign

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\ice123.bikey

& I have also tried files installed as:

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\addons

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\addons\ice_apo_seekers.pbo

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\addons\ice_apo_seekers.pbo.ice123.bisign

c:\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Arma 3\@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13\addons\ice123.bikey

i have my arma 3 startup string as:

-mod=@CBA_A3;@DM-Ligths;@JumpMF;@PUSH_KILL-FEINT -mod=@CBA_A3;@DM-Ligths;@JumpMF;@PUSH_KILL-FEINT_V_2;@Raabans_Editor_Sddons;@norrn_rflOcc_v05;@supportcalla3;@VTS_Weaponresting_v03;@ice_apo_seekers-04-17-13

i have activates the extension in game, options, extensions - all ticked ok

however, it doesnt seem to make any difference, i still cant see the Post Apocalypticists anywhere under game, edit, - under BLUEFOR or anywhere else

(though other mods of this type of have installed before - eg: ...;@CIA_SADv02;@Ghillie - all work fine..

please could someone suggest why its not working for me?

many thanks

Oh. My. God. Can't wait for it!

I cant usem them in the current beta is that normal and is there a bufix?!?!

Looks it really cool !

Hiya, are the arrows currently retrievable?

Any plans for other older weaponry, like crossbows or slingshots?