Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

Comparisons of middle distance ground texture?

I haven't seen any comments yet about the new official improved mid-range ground texture, so if people could post examples and compare the new/old ones that would be neat.

I dont know what they did but it really looks better and more fluid. Less LOD flickering also the textures look more natural. Walking around the green island really gives an epic feeling.

They might have added that little rockyness but I'm not sure was it there before.

It still is really underwhelming for a 2013 non-indie release. I know they can do better, as mods are doing better already. I really hope to see some serious improvements in that regard as right now the textures are rather poor.

It still is really underwhelming for a 2013 non-indie release. I know they can do better, as mods are doing better already. I really hope to see some serious improvements in that regard as right now the textures are rather poor.

The ground textures are brilliant, the problem does not lie them.

Note that this is about midrange textures, not the textures around you when you are on the ground.

I really hope that BI sees this as a complete package:

1)

Replace midrange textures with something that does not look barren/featureless for ALL terrain types. That would require the Nordkindchen approach (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149905-Sophisticated-considerations-on-how-to-get-rid-of-the-blurry-mid-range-textures)

2)

Remove the "soldier sinking into the ground at distance", which is a workaround for 1). That has been demonstrated here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148861-Rendering-grass-at-long-distances-My-thoughts-about-it

Note that this is about midrange textures, not the textures around you when you are on the ground.

I really hope that BI sees this as a complete package:

1)

Replace midrange textures with something that does not look barren/featureless for ALL terrain types. That would require the Nordkindchen approach (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149905-Sophisticated-considerations-on-how-to-get-rid-of-the-blurry-mid-range-textures)

2)

Remove the "soldier sinking into the ground at distance", which is a workaround for 1). That has been demonstrated here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148861-Rendering-grass-at-long-distances-My-thoughts-about-it

I feel like that they should not think like this: "It MIGHT not work, so lets not even try".

Just have an attempt at it, Bohemia. I mean, if you could make it work, even in a limited way, it would pay off in so many ways maybe not even be able to appreciate yet.

These things affect every-single-gameplay mechanic there is, in a super profound way. I do not think I can stress it enough.

Of course, I fully support both approaches that Old_Painless has brought up. These are two very doable solutions that need to be attempted. The old "sinking soldiers" is such a 90s solution, and that NK logic map thing would just make the game's true graphical highlight (massive, gorgeous terrains with huge viewdistances) all the better.

Focus on your strong points and try to fix up your weakest ones, I say.

Personally i see no difference in the main branch. Is it like fog? Was there a communication problem and it's only in the dev branch or not in at all?

As a showcase of what solving both problem 1 and 2 could achieve: A very convincing example of improved midrange texture and NO sinking into the ground - the camouflage of the soldiers outfit is sufficient, just like it should be:

(0:13s into the video, my jaw hit the floor!)

Thanks to Kuskov for the video, posted in the Bad Benson mod thread (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150645-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement&p=2354642&viewfull=1#post2354642)

Start voting, people: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4635

Edited by Old_Painless
Added feedback ticket

As a showcase of what solving both problem 1 and 2 could achieve: A very convincing example of improved midrange texture and NO sinking into the ground - the camouflage of the soldiers outfit is sufficient, just like it should be:

(0:13s into the video, my jaw hit the floor!)

Thanks to Kuskov for the video, posted in the Bad Benson mod thread (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150645-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement&p=2354642&viewfull=1#post2354642)

What's stopping them from implementing this? I mean really it looks phenomenal next to what the current official implementation is and like we all said, it not only solves the low quality mid range texture problem but ALSO resolved the whole drawing of grass at distance thing. You no longer need to sink into the ground as with such high fidelity and noise maps in the distance it LOOKS like there's grass that far away. This completely negates the need to sink players into the ground... come on guys, get this going!

I'm a huge fan of the LOGIC MAP. Bis should totally implement the LOGIC MAP.

Appreciate a little resolution raising and everything, but what you really need is multiple medium distance textures that would be defined by Nord's LOGIC MAP.

So logic map, I like the logic map. Logic map, guys. Hey bis, logic map.

Whatever they did was a great improvement and good start. The mid-range ground textures really add to the immersion and help to break up the emptiness feeling. The tree shading is excellent as well, trees no longer look fake to me. I've not played in about the last month due so seeing the patch and these changes was excellent. Game is starting to come together, maybe it's already together you guys know better than I, but I'm impressed with the texture changes so much so I uninstalled ARMA OA just now.

You'll be reinstalling it for All In Arma soon ;)

@rss334: I am on the stable branch only, and I have a hard time spotting any changes in midrange textures in the latest stable version, despite the change log claiming improvements.

Still bald hills all around me, nothing that even approaches the video I linked to above.

Logic Map :)

I played the heck out of ArmA III early alpha, haven't really played it since. I just hopped on and I can't see any major or decent changes since the start of the alpha. Can we have some major update packages, not small ones? Something like the model that of Outerra's would be nice to see.

For OP, don't bother getting screenshots of the new texture, it's almost entirely the same as the old one (just a few rock shaped things).

Either the midrange texture was only changed for the development branch or I cant see any difference...

Anyway: Want to try and spot the difference?

Pre_Patch

Post_Patch

I'm on dev branch and it looks the same. There's a new terrain texture, like close-mid terrain texture, that comes in slightly closer than that.