Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Movement speed tweaking

Deadzone is indeed broken, it's not working as it should.

It's also have been 3 months and they do not fix it.

Who use this deadzone at max? Few people? Not hot. I hope to see this feature in toggle mode like freelook. Its more "plastic", isnt it?

Edited by Anachoretes

Few use it because now its broken and in previous titles it was... annoying? And those that used had a little disadvantage.

In RO it is different.

RO ALL different. Why this arcade thing always swim up? Broken for now. I ask again - why this compact team must focused on this small aspect?

I used 'Aim deadzone' in ARMA2 at about 1/3

It does take some getting used to like anything different but it really is great [when it works]

I can't understand why its not fixed yet. Its just the mouse sensitivity is messed up.

I guess its more difficult that we/I think or BIS just have so much other stuff to do/fix.

But they said they were concentrating on the infantry aspect at the moment and thats quite a big part of it.

Wait, what doesn't work well? Deadzone? I think I tried it out and didn't notice anything.

If it's broken make a ticket, how else do you expect BIS to know it's broken?

Do you made the ticket about that?

He not broken!! but work not correctly when mouse transition "deadzone to livingzone". Point must move similar in all pixel field. I think.

Edited by Anachoretes

Deadzone is indeed broken, it's not working as it should.

It's also have been 3 months and they do not fix it.

This is why I responded as I did to Smurf... if the current aiming deadzone implementation is what we can expect (read: if the devs don't get around to "fixing" aiming deadzone) then I don't believe that "a free-aim zone" (seemingly even if 'regular' aiming deadzone is disabled) would help at all, and it might be simply compounding the problem. Edited by Chortles

Before the update of OP:

As for sprinting, I was planning on testing out: limiting the rotating speed + disabling 45 degree sprinting in favour of 22,5 degree (to indicate the player is moving fast).

Where did you get with this Smookie? These changes sounded like a step in the right direction but we have yet to see them implemented.

I'm definitely in favour of making the sprint limited to 22.5 degree, 45 degree doesn't seem right (Try doing it IRL..). In fact I'd suggest maybe limiting the degree even more, then maybe you could justify upping the sprint speed again.

I don't really like the idea of limiting turn speed, because you simply have much freer control of the weapon than you do in a turret. If someone is holding a relatively heavy weapon and they need to fire behind themselves, they wouldn't hold the weapon out from their body as when aiming and slowly swing it in an arc around themselves, they would more likely point it up and bring the centre of gravity as close to their body as they could, turn around and lower it.

Now this would be hard to really do in the game, so the facing of the camera is generally best left as the intended direction rather than true direction, and other things let handle the fact that you are jostling a big weapon around.

I would give all weapons a base accuracy (how easy it is to keep it stable in one direction), a penalty for movement (how much its weight and inertia make it want to keep going after fast movement, and the strain of countering forces on it), and a recovery time (how fast you can regain a stable and accurate aim). The last two probably overlap enough that you could just merge them.

A pistol is smaller and lighter than a rifle, and has good "pointability", so while it lacks the base accuracy to be very useful at range, you can turn around and fire accurately within a very short time. It lacks in weight though, so the recoil would affect the aim drastically, but the fast recovery means it is only a big issue when firing very fast.

An assault rifle has an advantage when it comes to base accuracy, as you lever it around your shoulder giving you smaller changes in direction for the same amount of hand movement and removing some of the inaccuracy from the triple lever points of your shoulder, elbow and wrist. It is also heavier, and should therefore be just a little bit more stable in its direction. This is also the part that gives it a detrimental effect when moving quickly, since it's going to take more force to return it to a proper position and direction. Recoil would affect aim less drastically at the very least because it is braced against your shoulder (unless some of the stances do otherwise, I can't recall them all right now), but since it lacks some of the freedom a pistol has it will take longer to recover and be prone to a buildup effect.

Long rifles would mostly be the same changes as for an assault rifle, but greater yet again, and possibly some changes due to the center of gravity being further out from the body.

It probably needs a lot of refinement, but I thought I would at least check if anyone agreed before thinking further.

Another issue I noticed the other day related to animations and aiming:

If I sprint and right click to bring up the sights, nothing happens. But when I stop sprinting it brings up the sights. Starting a sprint from sights also brings up the sights afterwards.

The first part I do not like. It is an input having an at the time completely invisible effect that only appears afterwards. If sprinting, right clicking should do nothing and you should have to right click again when moving normally, I think.

The second I am less sure about. Personally, I would like to see sprinting taking you out of sights mode entirely so you have to bring them back up after, but others might disagree with that, since things like crouching and standing feel entirely logical to look through the sights afterwards as well. This could probably be one of those things related to the "feel" of sprinting and the disagreements about what it should be. I think it is an abandonment of all other concerns for speed so it fits that you end up out of sights.

Hello,

I've noticed that the last few updates have made the unarmed slow walking speed turn into a really awkward looking FAST walking speed. It is not while aiming down a sight and then transitioned to no-weapons... I liked how the unarmed walking speed was before it looked like a natural walk.... a relaxed walking... now it looks like the guy has a problem in his pants and has to walk fast....

Is there something wrong? Thanks!

I agree, civilians especially walk like something out of the Benny Hill show.