Sign in to follow this  
HKFlash

[SP] Woods Sweep

WOODS SWEEP

By HKFlash and cobra4v320

v0.97a (BETA)

3_copy.jpg

Download it here! Or at Woods Sweep [ALPHA] v0.91"]Armaholic[/url]!

Announcement:

I'm now looking for voice actors to fill the mission conversations with sound! Private Message me for details.

General Info:

Enemy Special Forces have infiltrated Stratis and are hiding in the woods. Its time to intercept them and eliminate them! (Inspired by Bohemia Interactive's Village Sweep missions from OFP)

Warning: CBA will duplicate the tasks hints.

Features:

• Overview
  • Briefing
  • Tasks
  • Non linear
  • Multiple endings
  • Debriefing
  • Conversations
  • Voice acting

Author's notes:

HKFlash: I've been playing this series since 2001's Operation Flashpoint but never made a mission myself. Me and Cobra invested a great deal of time on this mission and tried to make it as professionally as we possibly could. I hope this is the first of many. Please take a moment to leave constructive feedback.

Changelog:

v0.9a (Hotfix)

• [FIXED]: Second ending
  • [iMPROVED]: Briefing

v0.91

• [ADDED]: Music track
  • [FIXED]: Sector markers were not deleted after being cleared

v0.92

• [ADDED]: Several Blue NPC at Kamino Firing Range
  • [ADDED]: Civilian NPC at Checkpoint Bravo

v0.93

• [ADDED]: Several Blue NPC and Objects to Kamino Firing Range
  • [iMPROVED]: Overall mission coding
  • [CHANGED]: Fog will now increase in intensity as the mission progresses (takes about 8 minutes)
  • [CHANGED]: Conversation with Blue NPC near the crates
  • [FIXED]: Mission should now be listed as done in the scenarios list when the player successfully completes it

v0.95

• [ADDED]: music track
  • [ADDED]: MX SW magazines added to the ammo crate
  • [ADDED]: identity to the player character and to the private near the crate
  • [ADDED]: player character is now voiced (by SavedByGrace)
  • [iMPROVED]: music tracks at sectors Alpha and Bravo will fire under slightly different conditions
  • [iMPROVED]: mission will now be completed when the player's fireteam is 200 meters or less from Kamino
  • [iMPROVED]: removed SideChat coding, mission now uses the conversation system introduced in ARMA II
  • [CHANGED]: fog parameters reverted to 0.92 due to the new fog coding
  • [FIXED]: mortars are now locked

v0.96

• [FIXED]: 7.62x51mm Magazines classname
  • [ADDED]: targets to the firing range
  • [ADDED]: new task
  • [ADDED]: InfoText intro

v0.97

• [REMOVED]: Mortar (Blue) placed at the Heavy Weapons Range
  • [CHANGED]: Second task no longer requires the player to pick up magazines
  • [REMOVED]: Color smoke hand grenades
  • [REMOVED]: Color smoke grenades
  • [ADDED]: Delay to the sector clearing tasks completion
  • [iMPROVED]: Tasks description
  • [ADDED]: Two aditional spawn points for each enemy group
  • [ADDED]: TOC radio operator is now voiced (by Chortles)

v0.97a

• [FIXED]: Mission is now compatible with ARMA 3 BETA

Voice acting:

Note: You are free to DePBO this mission for editing learning purposes.

Special Thanks to MadDogX and Varanon.

Enjoy!

Edited by HKFlash
Fixed some typos

Changelog:

v0.91

Added: new music track

Fixed: sector markers were not deleted after being cleared

Improved: briefing

Please take a moment to leave constructive feedback.

Nice one guys, enjoyed playing it.

As you asked for "constructive feedback" here's my intial sixpence worth.

Why spent so long choosing your equipment at the start? Give me one box. No need for 4 just to draw out starting the misson.

The journey between the start base and the objective is a bit weak. Surely a helo insertion would be quicker. (and less boring.) Why not take me on a tour, show me an island that's alive and inhabited. Or at least show me moving infantry armour helos etc. After all it a war, or at least a side that's preparing for war.

However, you could keep the long drive in to the objective. Have me pass trafffic etc. Use the check points you have. (Which are now just idle). Why not stop the player, force him to get out and report to an officer to be cleared to move on. Require a pass you receive from the first base. then get the second from the first checkpoint etc. Breaks the tedious drive, and gives the mission immersion. And if the player deviates off the main path on the way to the first objective, give him some random enemy encounters. Give me a reason to replay.

I'm a great believer in mortars and arty strikes. No modern army would go into battle with out their backup. So give me a 1 off strike to take out much superior enemy numbers.

Any mission should always do the following:-

Impress me, surprise me, scare me, reward me.

In the meantime, keep up the great work.

----- Added Later -----

On my second playthrough, I just noticed the service crew on the Hunters... SoWheat!!!

Edited by Beerkan

I just came to post about the gear selection, as well. I think you could give the fire team leader his default gear and let the player choose if he wants to switch that out for something else. I also like the idea of just having one crate.

Please take a moment to leave constructive feedback.

Nice one guys, enjoyed playing it.

As you asked for "constructive feedback" here's my intial sixpence worth.

Hi Beerkan, thanks for your feedback.

Why spent so long choosing your equipment at the start? Give me one box. No need for 4 just to draw out starting the misson.

The reason you have four boxes is to add authenticity to the mission. In real life you dont have all the gear stacked in one box, although from a gameplay perspective it does make sense to have it so. Ideally the player would choose the gear at the briefing screen (team tab -> gear) but as far as i know its not possible implement this feature in the current version of the game. We hope to implement this as soon as it becomes available.

The journey between the start base and the objective is a bit weak. Surely a helo insertion would be quicker. (and less boring.) Why not take me on a tour, show me an island that's alive and inhabited. Or at least show me moving infantry armour helos etc. After all it a war, or at least a side that's preparing for war.

The journey is indeed the weakest part of the mission. However, we don't have plans to introduce an helo insertion mainly because the helicopter avaiable in the current version of the game is used by Special Operations Forces (in this mission you play as Infantry).

However, you could keep the long drive in to the objective. Have me pass trafffic etc. Use the check points you have. (Which are now just idle). Why not stop the player, force him to get out and report to an officer to be cleared to move on. Require a pass you receive from the first base. then get the second from the first checkpoint etc. Breaks the tedious drive, and gives the mission immersion. And if the player deviates off the main path on the way to the first objective, give him some random enemy encounters. Give me a reason to replay.

We have several plans to enhance the experience during the long drive, however we would rather wait for performance feedback. I.e. we want to know if players are experiencing low frames per second before starting to add more units into the scenario. We also plan to add a music track.

I'm a great believer in mortars and arty strikes. No modern army would go into battle with out their backup. So give me a 1 off strike to take out much superior enemy numbers.

The enemy numbers are not that much superior to yours. Adding a mortar strike can create a serious imbalance to the mission. Its not completely out of the equation but theres an higher probability that the fireteam will increase in seize. We will have to wait for further feedback.

Best,

Flash

Just finished this and enjoyed it.

My 2 cents:

-Intro and Outro are not fun to do but brings a lot to a mission, so now is a chance to get some practice doing it, or better yet, get one started and reach out to the community for help on them.

-About the weapons crates and distance to the mission objectives:

You could place some crates at one of your check points closer to the AO on the roads and put that staff sergeant there next to the vehicles and giving his speech like you did at the base.

How about this, you have those guys doing animations at the trucks at base, right? So maybe you could move that whole scene with the sergeant and the crates at the first Check point on the road side, make it known to the player that the truck broke down while going to do the mission, and Sarg wants you and your men to go down that valley and kill those no good bastards, while he stays behind to cover the truck and those two dudes fixing the trucks like they were doing at the base.

(It was good you put in the animations, it means a lot to a missions "realism". Actually, yours was the first I've seen in A3 so far!).

After clearing Sectors Alpha and Beta, have the team move down to a "possible" bay where the no-good-bastards inserted and either take the stand-by team as hostages or kill them off completely or something like that. Surely one or two dudes were left behind to watch over the insertion boat/vehicles?

Changelog:

v0.92

Added: Several BLUFOR NPC at Kamino Firing Range

Added: Civilian NPC at Checkpoint Bravo

Note: this should be the first of several updates to make the mission more immersive.

0.92 can't be downloaded, please fix it.

Nice mission. The fog was somehow annoying at the beginning in the base but it makes the mission much more interesting. Maybe you could start with less fog which gets denser when leaving the base or something like that.

Spotting the OpFors was quite a hard job and not to die even more (my character told the positions via radio, i saw the, dead.. many many times. :D).

However, all messages and hints where shown twice.

0.92 can't be downloaded, please fix it.

Link fixed. I forgot to validate my account at mediafire. :rolleyes:

However, all messages and hints where shown twice.

Disable CBA. Ill update the first post with this information.

@HKFlash

Dude, you didn't even reply to anything I wrote. What's the point if you don't acknowledge it?

@HKFlash

Dude, you didn't even reply to anything I wrote. What's the point if you don't acknowledge it?

I replied with a new version of the mission that contains some of your suggestions. The moving of the starting position for the player is a no-go. I'm also awaiting for more feedback before starting to individually answer every new post that pops up.

Changelog:

v0.93

Added: New music track

Added: Several BLUFOR NPC and Objects to Kamino Firing Range

Improved: Briefing

Changed: Fog will now increase in intensity as the mission progresses (takes about 8 minutes)

Changed: Conversation with BLUFOR NPC near the crates

Improved: Overall mission coding

Fixed: Mission should now be listed as done in the scenarios list when the player successfully completes it

Announcement:

I'm now looking for voice actors to fill the mission conversations with sound!

Edited by HKFlash

Nice mission. Had to restart a couple of times. My team mates did everything though, I could even not see a dead body :j:

Just curious, why this behaviour with CBA on?

Don't ask me!

Changelog:

Improved: music tracks at sectors Alpha and Bravo will fire under slightly different conditions

Improved: mission will now be completed when the player's fireteam is 200 meters or less from Kamino

Changed: fog parameters reverted to 0.92 due to the new fog coding

Fixed: mortars are now locked

Added: MX SW magazines added to the ammo crate

Improved: removed SideChat coding, mission now uses the conversation system introduced in ARMA II

Added: identity to the player character and to the private near the crate

Added: player character is now voiced (by SavedByGrace)

I'll send you my voice stuff tonight!

Roger that! :)

Nice looking mission!

Let me know if you need some voice work done! I have a deep voice and a very good mic.

Nice looking mission!

Let me know if you need some voice work done! I have a deep voice and a very good mic.

That's affirmative. You will receive a PM soon.

Sent you five .wma files by e-mail, unfortunately I didn't have an OGG converter immediately available so they were recorded with the Sound Recorder in Windows 8.

The mortar strike can be purely cosmetic, for reasons of realism and atmosphere. That is, a strike that utterly fails to do any damage to its elusive target, like most real-world artillery does. Heck, maybe have a few shells go off target and assign the player to investigate the collateral damage.

Define "investigate the collateral damage"?

"Oh shit, we swapped our coordinates and may have blown up a hen house. Go check the area after the mission and tell us how badly we screwed up."

Then give the player the option to walk into an area trigger. You could even get all Harvest Red-y with it and give them a choice of what to report.