Sign in to follow this  
Helice

Helocast with boats script

Hi,

After many fights with scripting, and learning SQF, i'm happy to release my first script. I read some people interested in Helocast ingame. It's part of a mission i will release soon but you can enjoy the script today if like it. And sorry, basic english here.

WHAT THE SCRIPT DOES?

This script simulates a helocast (divers jumping into sea) while the chopper keep moving slowly. This method avoid people get hurt if somebody fall down over a mate. The helicopter will drop an Assault Boat if you wish. A second boat will fall down if there are more than 5 units in the cargo. The units will be ejected once the speed and altitud are right.

SCREENSHOTS

HOW TO USE IT

1.- Copy helocast.sqf to your mission folder .

2.- Call the script from trigger or menu action (WIP).

Example: Put an area trigger activated with the chopper presence once. Paste the next line in "On activation" trigger textbox.

nul= [heliname,true] execVM "helocast.sqf"	

Where heliname is the helicopter object.

true if need chopper drop boat/s. False if not.

TIPS

- If you call the script over ground none will happends. (just the message "We aren't over water").

- Call it with area trigger to have control of the helocast position.

- Call it with radio trigger or menu action (WIP) to choose the moment when helocast start.

- If you are the pilot, once the script is activated you must fly under 10 meters altitude and speed less than 22 km/h to have GREEN LIGHT. Maintain to avoid soldiers get hurt and boats don't sink.

VERSION

0.1 Initial release. Tested Arma 3 Alpha 0.54

DOWNLOAD

Helocast with boats .1

Edited by Helice

This sounds exellent :)

We'll try it out and report back with feedback

Thanks! feedbak would be fantastic to fix o improve anythink.

I'm happy you like it :)

Great little script for Single player missions, I would love to include this in a Domination esque mission but I am having issues with locality in MP. Have tried calling the script as an addaction specific to the pilot of our choppers. Using: this addAction ["Helocasting","helocast.sqf",[1],0,false,true,""," driver _target == _this"]; added to the vehicles innit, works great in the editor all the units in chopper get pooped out (no boats tho) but fails in MP. Also tried adding it as a radio trigger, again works great in the editor but fails in MP. Any advice would be awesome.

Edited by WinstonSmith

Hello thanks for feedback and interest about add it to your mission. The script should works fine in multiplayer. Before its release, i tested with my friends in a non-dedicated server enviroment. Its you server a dedicated one???

I'll make some test with ADDACTION in multiplayer and i will try to reproduce the issue to fix it.

--

One question @Windowtonsmith:

this addAction ["Helocasting","helocast.sqf",[1],    ....    

Is that [1] the parameters you pass the script? Helicopter_Objectname is needed for helocast.

Yes we use a dedicated server, like I said in previous post the script works in the editor just fine but as soon as it is on the dedicated server nothing... As I understand it the addaction works locally but does not broadcast to all the other clients.

The code I quoted is put into the choppers innit. In the editor if I call the action when over land I get "We aren't over water". When I call the action when at the correct altitude and speed over water I get "Green light" and the troops are dropped out of the chopper. The launch parameters given with the script worked if I added it to a radio trigger but I didn't test it fully to see if it would drop the boats.

I think the [1] in the parameters refers to who is able to see the addaction but I'm sure.

I will try some different variations to call the boats in the editor and report back.

Edited by WinstonSmith

After revise addaction i understand somethinks are happening.

First script code line (line 18) there is:

if (!isServer) exitWith {};

Then the scripts just abort because the pilot is not the server. When you are testing in editor you are "the server" and helocast will be executed coz isServer returns true.

In your case, as the script is link to the chopper you dont need this line to avoid all clients try execute (with simple trigger area happends).

By the other hand, about addaction use. I'm sorry was a guess it works. The problem is in the pass parameters. Inside my script _WANTBOAT is not receiving the "true" for the boat drop. I keep my test and i'll say some. Temporal solution could be edit line 44:

// You called script with boat with a true 
if (_wantboat) then {

change by:

// You called script with boat with a true 
if (true) then {

With this change the boat will work at the moment. (but you can't choose dropboat yes or not)

Thanks for your help on this Helice, I have put in the recommended changes and we now have boats when I call the script via the "addaction" option, but players are not ejecting from the chopper.

@Imutep your welcome and thanks to you. While i release a future version you should delete the words "works with an addaction" :) At the moment works well with radio/area triggers.

---

@WinstonSmith. I keep worried about the [1] inside your addaction call. I did more test.

this addAction ["Helocasting","helocast.sqf",[1],  

//With your [1], the script is not receiving well the chopper object.

In my test i used:

this addAction ["Helocasting","helocast.sqf",[bh1,true]  

//bh1 is heli object in my example. Inside the script the object is well passed and it works. I still have the problem to catch the "true".

If the script don't have vehicle name object, it doesn't knows wich vehicle INCARGO soldiers "eject". The point is i can't understand why works in single player with this [1].

Just a last note. You should know script will not eject a player inside the co-pilot position. We need modify the code to add the co-pilot if he is not a Pilot Class.

Edited by Helice

Test script with " this addaction [heli1] etc" but no joy on dedicated server with live players :(