Jump to content
bangabob

Enemy occupation system (eos)

Recommended Posts

Dear all, I am in dire need of some help.

I love this script, been using it for a couple of years now and is all around the best way to spawn units.

 

Said that, I am experiencing an issue with it, on which several of the spawned groups receive a "MOVE" waypoint to one of the corners of the map, and eventually leave the area of operations towards that point.

This happens randomly, with different factions, in different maps, with RHS units, with Vanilla units, Project OPFOR units, and I cannot seem to find anything on google about it, and my scripting knowledge is limited so I could not figure it out myself by examinig the different files that build EOS.

Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas where should I start looking towards avoiding this problem?

Any guidance will be very much appreciated.
 

Spoiler

107410-20190830141726-1.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pato.marin

 

I have seen the same thing when playing around with EOS.
I was starting to think it was something I modified that didn't agree with EOS.

 

Just to confirm, it is happening with all groups and not just helicopters, right?

 

What seems to be happening is that a returned position can't be found (or isn't valid) and the default coordinates [0,0,0] are being returned.

I suspect shk_pos but I can't be sure until I dive in some more.

 

I'll keep you posted.

 

 

Out of curiosity, what sort of radius and group count are you working with?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Maff said:

@pato.marin

 

I have seen the same thing when playing around with EOS.
I was starting to think it was something I modified that didn't agree with EOS.

 

Just to confirm, it is happening with all groups and not just helicopters, right?

 

What seems to be happening is that a returned position can't be found (or isn't valid) and the default coordinates [0,0,0] are being returned.

I suspect shk_pos but I can't be sure until I dive in some more.

 

I'll keep you posted.

 

 

Out of curiosity, what sort of radius and group count are you working with?

 

 

 

 

Hi Maff, thanks for the response. I do not use helicopters with EOS, I only use it with infantry, motorized and armored units.

Regarding the radius and group count, varies from mission to mission. Generally I use multiple small area markers no bigger than 300 meter radius each. For groups, an average of 3 patrol groups size 2, and 2 House groups size 1.

I was also looking into shk_pos, and thought it might be related to the surfaceIsWater part of it, but that script is beyond me.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pato.marin said:

I do not use helicopters with EOS, I only use it with infantry, motorized and armored units.

Cool.

I only asked because the helicopters, if they have passengers, drop them off and then move to [0,0,0] to be deleted.

I couldn't tell 100% from your screenshot.

 

 

1 hour ago, pato.marin said:

Generally I use multiple small area markers no bigger than 300 meter radius each.

For groups, an average of 3 patrol groups size 2, and 2 House groups size 1.

I tested with similar numbers but use 500m ellipse markers.

 

 

1 hour ago, pato.marin said:

I was also looking into shk_pos, and thought it might be related to the surfaceIsWater part of it, but that script is beyond me.

Looking inside shk_pos scares me, as does shk_buildingPos.

 

The surfaceIsWater is kind of smart I thought.

I haven't tested it, but it could be faster than isKindOf or typeOf.

EDIT: Talking about inside shk_patrol.

 

I replaced shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos and run 20 tests with patrols only;

I didn't see any waypoints going anywhere near [0,0,0].

 

Still need to test shk_buildingPos though.

There are now better quicker methods of setting units in building.

No disrespect to Shuko!

 

If you need help to replace shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos, let me know.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Maff
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maff said:

If you need help to replace shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos, let me know

 I would really appreciate some guidance for sure.

 

Thanks again for looking into this with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of instructing you to replace this line with this line in this script, it is easier for me to upload my work.

 

I've been on the beer... So any issues, reply back and I'll have another look at it.

 

eos_update

Not tested, just edited.

 

eos_update_ii

Tested, but shk_patrol edit not tested.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Maff said:

Cool.

I only asked because the helicopters, if they have passengers, drop them off and then move to [0,0,0] to be deleted.

I couldn't tell 100% from your screenshot.

 

 

 

Is it just the helicopter that flies to [0,0,0]? If so, I'm getting the same behaviour. The helicopter takes the troops in and the troops start patrolling while the helicopter flies off to what looks like [0,0,0] direction. I've haven't followed it the entire way but assuming that is where it is going.

 

The troops patrol as they should though. But I was kind of hoping we can get the helicopter to patrol and then only drop the troops off if enemy detected or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know a way to get the groups spawned via EOS? I'd like to send some commands to them like one would via a group init in the editor. I'm guessing no easy way to get the spawned groups and I'd have to modify EOS to pass another parameter or function call that would then get called via their init or after they are spawned.

 

I don't want the exact same init for any EOS spawn but per EOS spawn they could be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 11:52 AM, pato.marin said:

Thank you @Maff will test and let you know.

 

@Maff I switched to the files you povided, on the very same mission I was working on with the issue, and the same thing keeps happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, pato.marin said:

@Maff I switched to the files you povided, on the very same mission I was working on with the issue, and the same thing keeps happening.

 

Are you using additional addons or scripts?

 

4 hours ago, delta99 said:

 

Is it just the helicopter that flies to [0,0,0]?

 

I've only spent a little time inside EOS.

I believe helicopters with passengers, once dropped off, move to [0,0,0] to be deleted.

Edited by Maff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Maff said:

If you need help to replace shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos, let me know.

 

I remember getting rid of BIS_fnc_randomPos years ago and replacing with shk_pos in some of my missions because shk_pos worked way better than the BIS function. Not sure if that is still true today but I would think it probably is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, delta99 said:

 

I remember getting rid of BIS_fnc_randomPos years ago and replacing with shk_pos in some of my missions because shk_pos worked way better than the BIS function. Not sure if that is still true today but I would think it probably is.

 

AFAIK Shk_pos hasn't been updated in quite some time.

The version in EOS is from ArmA 2.

 

I replaced shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos as it fit my needs and I haven't had the issue where [0,0,0] was returned.

 

Whatever works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Maff said:

 

AFAIK Shk_pos hasn't been updated in quite some time.

The version in EOS is from ArmA 2.

 

I replaced shk_pos with BIS_fnc_randomPos as it fit my needs and I haven't had the issue where [0,0,0] was returned.

 

Whatever works.

 

Agreed but I think we are talking bananas and oranges. I never get [0,0,0] either and no units are moving there. Pato said he tried your changes to BIS_fnc_randomPos and still has the same thing. But I think it is just with the transport helo that goes off map as it is probably designed to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 8/31/2019 at 5:31 AM, Maff said:

Just to confirm, it is happening with all groups and not just helicopters, right?

 

On 9/1/2019 at 12:26 AM, pato.marin said:

I do not use helicopters with EOS, I only use it with infantry, motorized and armored units.

 

8 hours ago, delta99 said:

But I think it is just with the transport helo that goes off map as it is probably designed to do.

 

On 8/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, pato.marin said:
  Hide contents

107410-20190830141726-1.png

 

 

Pato said he doesn't use helicopters with EOS.

It's impossible to tell from the screenshot what unit(s) are moving to [0,0,0].

 

I'm thinking maybe another script is causing the issue. Maybe VCOM?

If not, then I'm out of ideas.

 

It would be cool to get a repro mission, @pato.marin.

Do you get the same issue on other terrains?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I used to rely on EOS in the past for mission making, but now I'm kinda rusty on it. What I want to achieve is this:

-get an enemy area/marker to spawn units/vehicles and change color based on the PERCENTAGE OF KILLED UNITS. So, for example, you kill/destroy 90% of enemy assets, marker change color.

 

It's that doable? Since I'm developing an AIR campaign, it will next to impossible for a plane to seek out and kill EVERY unit hidden on the ground.

 

Thank you.

 

EDIT: I got the solution HERE for a trigger condition based on % of the killed enemy. It should be fairly easy to get EOS to spawn friendly units in the trigger area and change color of marker, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Maff said:

 

 

 

 

 

Pato said he doesn't use helicopters with EOS.

It's impossible to tell from the screenshot what unit(s) are moving to [0,0,0].

 

I'm thinking maybe another script is causing the issue. Maybe VCOM?

If not, then I'm out of ideas.

 

It would be cool to get a repro mission, @pato.marin.

Do you get the same issue on other terrains?

 

 

 

My mistake. Yeah, I would think some other mod / script causing a conflict or something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 9:07 PM, Maff said:

 

 

 

 

 

Pato said he doesn't use helicopters with EOS.

It's impossible to tell from the screenshot what unit(s) are moving to [0,0,0].

 

I'm thinking maybe another script is causing the issue. Maybe VCOM?

If not, then I'm out of ideas.

 

It would be cool to get a repro mission, @pato.marin.

Do you get the same issue on other terrains?

 

 

Hi @Maff Thanks. You are correct,I do not use helicopters.

These strange waypoints generally are set to infantry/civilians, rarely affect ground vehicles, but it has happened.

I got this same behaviour in other terrains, including Altis and Stratis. Will create a vanilla mission and share it with you guys.

Thanks everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

 

any way to have EOS spawn BOATS only in some marker area?

Even further, about AIR units, any way to spawn JETS?

 

Basically, I'm creating a mission where the player is a jet/heli pilot tasked to clear sectors of the map from hostiles (mostly vehicles and few foot patrols). I would like to have him engage surface targets, like boats. Plus would be nice if sometimes random JETS will CAP the markers.

 

Is possible?

Cheers, Zagor.

 

EDIT: nevermind... some small test run cleared that for me:

In the unit pools, insert Jet classnames together with or instead of helis, and jets will spawn.

Also, IfSurfaceisWater will take care of boats....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi sorry for this dumb question but:
Is there a way to let the EOS to spawn the units without that those units despawn?

For a better understanding, what I am trying to do is to let the script to spawn random units in a zone,  without the despawning system that EOS has when a player move far away fron the zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with eos units spawn when player is within a set distance and despawn when not within that distance. define that distance so the player is always "close enough" and the units will not despawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 8/12/2019 at 4:45 AM, sabot10.5mm said:

i don't have a server to test if it fully works. only thing i could test is artificialy increasing _Pcnt which seemed to work. And you are welcome. I'm ou-:thud:

 

Will you post a short mission with your updates please?

 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:41 AM, Maff said:

/*
	\eos\functions\setSkill.sqf
	Below "ADD CUSTOM SCRIPTS TO UNIT HERE"
	Place the following;
*/

_unit unlinkItem (hmd _unit);

 

 

Could you post a short mission with your updates please and may be a script that is inserted in the code you posted here for example on how to? thanks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can anyone post a working version of this script?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, 

 

I have to say I enjoy this script as its lite and does not depend on mods unless you want to add them. 

 

I am trying to update some outdated functions with zenophon functions. (findgroundposition) and fn bis patrol and defend.

 

 

I am currently trying to solve a few bugs and I added a few things as well.

 

If anyone is interested in helping me I would greatly appreciate it. Bug fixing is certainly not my strong suit.

 

The simple example is atlas map with 3 zones and player as opfor to trigger areas. no mods.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4e4vx8oxg498xz8/AADZ1bwlSnCOr3gZNDv4I1M1a?dl=0

 

thanks and please pm if needed.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

Thxs Bangabob for a simple awesome script

Love this old, easy, functional script. I wanted to make this Headless Client compatible. I am a noob when it comes to writing a lengthy scripts.  My goal is when one or more HCs are available, EOS will spawn on the available HCs and share the load with others HCs. Can anyone here help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×