bangabob

Enemy occupation system (eos)

This version of EOS is not stable for MP. I use the old one and no error seems to appear. The game run better. More FPS.

This versio seems to spawn twice the unit.

This error should be fixed in latest patch. v1.972

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

About the "Warn: ###.## ms spent, NMT=###"-error. If you find out whats wrong, may you tell me too what's causing it after I get the same error. Thanks

Never seen this before. Send me your mission and i will into it

Hi Banga,

Don"t waste your time with the "Warn .." this a function forgotten by bis in the last patch.

This version of EOS is not stable for MP. I use the old one and no error seems to appear. The game run better. More FPS.

This versio seems to spawn twice the unit.

Hi Katane

Please can you send me the version ?

darmag@gmx.de

THX

Hi Banga,

Don"t waste your time with the "Warn .." this a function forgotten by bis in the last patch.

How sure are you with that. Any evidence?

I mean it would save banga some time, bit if the script do cause the error.....I mean its a nasty and annoying error! xD

Finally rolled up my sleeves and have begun experimenting with EOS for ambush type locations in conjunction with alive. The one thing I'd like to know is is there some sort of variable that could be used to apply a little randomness to whether or not a zone is populated? I'd like to make my mission a little more uncertain for replay value and it's hard to do if the player knows to expect an enemy patrol in a particular part of the map. The work around I'm trying now is just to make the zones bigger so even if players pass through them there is still a chance they won't encounter any of the patrols in the area but this is less than ideal, especially for smaller choke points where an ambush in a fairly specific location would be the most desirable.

I didn't read the entire thread (yet), sorry if any of the above has already been answered. Plan to read and re-read it as time allows :)

Hi Banga,

How sure are you with that. Any evidence?

I mean it would save banga some time, bit if the script do cause the error.....I mean its a nasty and annoying error! xD

Alright, now I saw it appearing on missions not using EOS. ^^

Tips please!

I'm working on a mission for dedi using ALiVE as the core and EOS to spawn "random" patrols between towns and villages, a sort of insurgent ambush on the country road sort of thing. This works PERFECTLY (Alive really needs a module that will do this! Or not... if you use EOS ;) )

To make the insurgency feel "complete" I'm also using on of the popular random IED scripts... in fact I'm using the same markers for both. This too works quite well. What I would like to do is figure out how to sync the two together, if possible. In other words if a marker area is spawning insurgents, there is chance of an IED also being present (planted). Once an EOS zone is clear of opfor it seems unlikely that any more IEDs would be placed later in that same zone. I've asked on the IED thread about there perhaps being some way to check the status of an EOS zone to achieve this and thought it only fair that I ask here too... Any quick tips on how to check the status of an EOS zone from another script?

Is there any other suggestions on how to get IEDs to occasionally spawn in an active, opfor occupied EOS zone?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

OH! There was one more: I'm using either/or Drongo's Irregulars or the CAF Aggressors as my insurgents. I haven't found a way to get either of these two to use a vanilla A3 technical yet when assigned to EOS as a "custom faction". Is there a trick to getting them to spawn with vehicles?

Can anyone please tell me where the fly over height variable is now? I tried my mission with a little bird and flew over all the zones (in the dark) and even hovered about 250m above the ground. Never took a single shot vs. mostly infantry, although some were carrying AA...

I just wanted to say that your script works unbelievably well. Using it in my missions have been a blast. I have 2 quick questions

1) Like Oktyabr said, is there a way for a zone to have a possibility to not be populated. I suppose I can put a probability of presence around the marker but that may cause some errors.

2) Is it possible to have all units spawned in house to maintain standing position. It less then ideal when an Opfor is at a window and decides to prone. I really don't think it's even possible

Once again thanks for this amazing script

I just wanted to say that your script works unbelievably well. Using it in my missions have been a blast. I have 2 quick questions

1) Like Oktyabr said, is there a way for a zone to have a possibility to not be populated. I suppose I can put a probability of presence around the marker but that may cause some errors.

2) Is it possible to have all units spawned in house to maintain standing position. It less then ideal when an Opfor is at a window and decides to prone. I really don't think it's even possible

setUnitPos "UP";

Once again thanks for this amazing script

bold..

A nice juicy update for you all

changelog 1.98

- Vehicles are crewed manually using unitpools "_crew" and "_helicrew". Increase flexibility for custom units.

- Removed functions;EOS_LightVeh,EOS_Armour,EOS_spawnStatic,EOS_Chopper. Replaced with EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle.

- EOS Unit eventhandlers function created. Named: eos_fnc_grouphandlers. (functions\setskill.sqf)

- Safe positions for vehicles handled by: EOS_fnc_findSafePos . (functions\findsafepos.sqf)

- Cargo fill function adapted for EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle

- New unit pools created for EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle function. Define _crewPool and _helicrew in (eos\unitPools.sqf)

- Optional probability parameter added for each type of unit spawned (yes that's right)

- Optional height limit and debug parameters added

Please note: Bugs may be present since i am yet to receive feedback for the new features. There will be iterative updates to this version to fix some bugs/errors that i have missed in this main update. However, i will do my best to ensure future updates are optional.

Edited by BangaBob

A nice juicy update for you all

changelog 1.98

- Vehicles are crewed manually using unitpools "_crew" and "_helicrew". Increase flexibility for custom units.

- Removed functions;EOS_LightVeh,EOS_Armour,EOS_spawnStatic,EOS_Chopper. Replaced with EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle.

- EOS Unit eventhandlers function created. Named: eos_fnc_grouphandlers. (functions\setskill.sqf)

- Safe positions for vehicles handled by: EOS_fnc_findSafePos . (functions\findsafepos.sqf)

- Cargo fill function adapted for EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle

- New unit pools created for EOS_fnc_spawnvehicle function. Define _crewPool and _helicrew in (eos\unitPools.sqf)

- Optional probability parameter added for each type of unit spawned (yes that's right)

- Optional height limit and debug parameters added

Please note: Bugs may be present since i am yet to receive feedback for the new features. There will be iterative updates to this version to fix some bugs/errors that i have missed in this main update. However, i will do my best to ensure future updates are optional.

Thanks for the update BangaBob! While I am new to your system I'm learning to enjoy it's use immensely. My current mission would not be complete without it!

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

What IS the height limit for aircraft to trigger a zone? What would be really nice is a way to keep zones from spawning just because an aircraft flew past/over it but would still activate so aircraft could be used for CAS missions on a particular zone, etc. I would suggest a speed check + altitude check, to keep aircraft from triggering zones just by flying over them, but then jets couldn't be used for CAS. Hmmm....

What if a vehicle crew pool is not assigned? By default it would be nice if it just drew upon the main faction unitpool, if left empty. Easy to copy and paste a clone of that pool though to get it up and running.

Any hopes for a pool of the actual vehicles they might use too, as an option (again, left empty to use default would be nice)? :D I realize that you can put vehicles that come with drivers in the motorpool, etc. but does this system work with any vehicle you can place in the editor? I'd love to have units of one mod manning vehicles I found in another?

And thanks for the debug on the units! I just downloaded it and haven't had a chance to test it yet but if it works the way I think it will it will make my job as a mission maker much simpler!

Last but not least should 1.98 break any missions made with 1.972?

Edited by Oktyabr

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===============================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the update BangaBob! While I am new to your system I'm learning to enjoy it's use immensely. My current mission would not be complete without it!

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

What IS the height limit for aircraft to trigger a zone? What would be really nice is a way to keep zones from spawning just because an aircraft flew past/over it but would still activate so aircraft could be used for CAS missions on a particular zone, etc. I would suggest a speed check, to keep aircraft from triggering zones just by flying over them, but then jets couldn't be used for CAS. Hmmm....

What if a vehicle crew pool is not assigned? By default it would be nice if it just drew upon the main faction unitpool, if left empty. Easy to copy and paste a clone of that pool though to get it up and running.

Any hopes for a pool of the actual vehicles they might use too, as an option (again, left empty to use default would be nice)? :D I realize that you can put vehicles that come with drivers in the motorpool, etc. but does this system work with any vehicle you can place in the editor? I'd love to have units of one mod manning vehicles I found in another?

And thanks for the debug on the units! I just downloaded it and haven't had a chance to test it yet but if it works the way I think it will it will make my job as a mission maker much simpler!

Last but not least should 1.98 break any missions made with 1.972?

Will 1.98 break previous EOS missions? Simple answer yes. EOS is called in a new format. Therefore you will need to update your 1.972 calls to fit the 1.98 version.

What if a vehicle crew pool is not assigned? Vanilla ArmA 3 factions have crew and helicrew pools assigned by default. Non-vanilla factions will need to be added into the crew pools (All infantry can fill the crew pool)

What IS the height limit for aircraft to trigger a zone? By default 5m.

I'd love to have units of one mod manning vehicles I found in another.

This is possible through creating a custom faction. Fill the crew pool with some infantry and place vehicles into motorpool and EOS will do the rest.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===============================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks a lot

What IS the height limit for aircraft to trigger a zone? By default 5m.

Thanks for the reply! It will be very nice to get my insurgents cruising around in a mixture of vehicles now. :)

I imagine you must have considered an integer variable instead of a boolean for each zone (or array of zones), for fly height triggers?

I find it much more cumbersome to use.

The height of 5m limit default is ineffective. Most of the houses are populated on the rooftops.

The calculations of probabilities consume more processor resources. If I use this script is to populate.

We need a larger set of global variables to simplify use.

I propose:

Global variable for height.

Global variable to populate.

---------- Post added at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

The documentation is incomplete and inaccurate.

It took me a while to understand the use of the array.

The image which you have set in the manual does not match the current size of the array.

We do not have nearly documentation and makes it difficult to properly understand the functioning of the script.

I find it much more cumbersome to use.

The height of 5m limit default is ineffective. Most of the houses are populated on the rooftops.

The calculations of probabilities consume more processor resources. If I use this script is to populate.

We need a larger set of global variables to simplify use.

I propose:

Global variable for height.

Global variable to populate.

All the new Probabilty values are all completely optional. Therefore the script can't be more cumbersome to use?

The processing power EOS saves far out strips the extra cpu power a few random commands use.

I don't understand how global variables would help anything

Also propose a set of pre-loaded configurations attached to keywords to simplify the usage of the script.

---------- Post added at 02:19 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

"I don't understand how global variables would help anything"

You have asked for feedback and that's what I do, but I get the impression that you take it as a personal attack.

The script is like this now complex to use for someone who does not know.

The documentation is poor and you have not updated. The videos either.

I understand that you do not have very much time but the is complex to use.

Nor have you mentioned what height you've incorrectly configured. With the script 5m recharge again and again.

If you employ a few global variables for example you can save lots of time developers.

Considering that you take this personally but I will not argue with you.

Edited by djotacon

The documentation is poor and you have not updated. The videos either.

I don't know about the videos but he DID update the guides that are included with the download. I'm no scripting wizard and I figured it out. :)

I do agree that a variable for aircraft trigger height would be nice, on a per zone (or array of zones) though. That way if I have EOS manning a FOB that I'm flying a helicopter to they could be made to spawn in at a greater distance so I can see them as I'm landing. And yet my larger zones, full of opfor patrols, could be set pretty low so I'm not triggering them as I fly over on the way to that base. Hell, make it two variables, one for helicopters and one for fixed wing?

Anyway, I'm happy to report that 1.98 seems to work very well, even with ALiVE and a few other scripts in play too. The debugging works as expected and it's very nice to get a feel for how often my wandering patrols might cross the path of the players (usually the roads) in a given zone. It actually seems like 1.98 might be actually more efficient than 1.972 although I'm not sure why that might be.

Nice work BangaBob!

@djotacon Using global variables for no reason impacts performance and is counter to what Bob is doing here. If you dont understand how to use this very simple to use script then why would you think you understand enough to tell Bob how to script? Never mind don't answer that I don't care.

@Banga Bob

Hey Bob. I am testing your newest version and I noticed that cached units are not coming back. When you initially enter a zone the units are spawned as normal but if you leave the zone and come back the units do not return. Just thought I would give you a heads up on that. Cheers still <3 eos + ALiVE

@Banga Bob

Hey Bob. I am testing your newest version and I noticed that cached units are not coming back. When you initially enter a zone the units are spawned as normal but if you leave the zone and come back the units do not return. Just thought I would give you a heads up on that. Cheers still <3 eos + ALiVE

Hi redfield, I checked this as soon as i read it.

Units are cached correctly and no issues at my end.

I'm not having that problem either here either. Also <3 eos + ALiVE! :D

@BangaBob I love the new debugging features! This feature alone has cut my time spent adjusting zone size and position into a mere fraction of what it was without it. On my really large zones I used to spawn in at night with a thermal scope so I could get an idea of where all the patrols were and how they were moving. Even that method could take quite awhile on a 1800m x 600m zone in wooded mountains!

Oh, and in case you weren't fully aware of this yet I think EOS is also currently the top pick for a civilian spawn system that 1) is map independent 2) MP/DED/JIP compatible and 3) caches! No other method I've seen (yet) hits all three of those points. Add to that that I can finetune what units I want, what vehicles I want, and who I want to drive them and we might as well just tie a big red ribbon on top and call it Christmas. :)

Edited by Oktyabr

I'm not having that problem either here either. Also <3 eos + ALiVE! :D

@BangaBob I love the new debugging features! This feature alone has cut my time spent adjusting zone size and position into a mere fraction of what it was without it. On my really large zones I used to spawn in at night with a thermal scope so I could get an idea of where all the patrols were and how they were moving. Even that method could take quite awhile on a 1800m x 600m zone in wooded mountains!

Oh, and in case you weren't fully aware of this yet I think EOS is also currently the top pick for a civilian spawn system that 1) is map independent 2) MP/DED/JIP compatible and 3) caches! No other method I've seen (yet) hits all three of those points. Add to that that I can finetune what units I want, what vehicles I want, and who I want to drive them and we might as well just tie a big red ribbon on top and call it Christmas. :)

Thanks. I didn't realise that EOS worked that well with civilians since they are given the same patrol paths as military units.

What is this alive i keep hearing about?