Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

Bullet-Wind Interaction System

I think it would be a good feature because not every soldier would be able to say "oh yea, the wind is traveling 30 knots is this direction," this would bring the need for a dedicated unit to be able to tell the rest of the team what the wind is doing, and I personally like the idea of having advanced roles other than basic "Machinegunner" and "Rifleman". Theres sure to be plenty of people around the forums who would gladly help, unfortunately, I am not skilled in models or anything of the sort. Loving it so far though, cant wait to see what you will do in the future!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

I seem to be having an issue with the script, all the .sqf's are in the right place, the init lines are correct, but the wind just doesnt seem to be taken into account when a shot is made. I load into a mission, it says "Bullet wind interaction system initialized ...

Wind: South" but when I shoot, no change is made to the bullets trajectory. Am I missing something very simple here?

EDIT: I found my issue, it just doesnt seem to work with the standard Stanag tracer belts. Ive tested this with the standard 30 mag tracer rounds and it works, but not with 100rnd stanag belts..... Just reporting it.

Hmm, I will look into it. I don't see why it wouldn't allow Stanag Tracer belts - maybe they are fired at a higher velocity causing wind not to affect it much? Will report back on this issue soon!

EDIT - Found the issue, fixed! Thanks for reporting it :)

Edited by zooloo75

Added possible wind synchronization for multiplayer. Server sends its own wind and windDir variables over the network which is then used by the clients.

How fast is the wind direction changing?

I was having a discussion about this and we came to the conclusion that in general the wind takes longer to change its course.

Looking at ACE 2 it seemed very unnatural to have a wind that was changing its direction every 2 seconds.

So I am curious on how it works now.

Greetings!

How fast is the wind direction changing?

I was having a discussion about this and we came to the conclusion that in general the wind takes longer to change its course.

Looking at ACE 2 it seemed very unnatural to have a wind that was changing its direction every 2 seconds.

So I am curious on how it works now.

Greetings!

During the testing I've done, wind variation depends on the settings defined in the mission. It can easily be set via scripting too.

Update 4/27/2013

Created AWIS (Aerial-Wind Interaction System)

Adds wind simulation to aerial vehicles.

Sharp changes in velocity will shake screen.

*Currently WiP*

Hi, this sounds great; what we all wanted to see since the OFP:R. That the Sniper and Adv. Marksman role on the squad be at the height of the rank, marking the difference between "The Good, The Bad & The Uggly". This script/addon sounds to me as A Must Have and a good step on the good direction, the reality; my only complain about it is that is an addon and not part of the game 'per se', so it would be hard to see it working on public servers, letting away the lone players and those who're not part of a klan; that's my only complain about it, that this something that the game Should Have. Let's C ya

Hi, this sounds great; what we all wanted to see since the OFP:R. That the Sniper and Adv. Marksman role on the squad be at the height of the rank, marking the difference between "The Good, The Bad & The Uggly". This script/addon sounds to me as A Must Have and a good step on the good direction, the reality; my only complain about it is that is an addon and not part of the game 'per se', so it would be hard to see it working on public servers, letting away the lone players and those who're not part of a klan; that's my only complain about it, that this something that the game Should Have. Let's C ya

The good thing is that mission developers can integrate these scripts into their own works. This will ensure that anyone that plays their mission will use this system without the need for additional addons :)

Instead of showing the wind direction all the time , is it possible to Keybind it so it will only show when needed?

Of course! Anything is possible in ArmA :)

Freaking Love It! This is a MUST in every Map/Mission I do. Seems to work perfect.

Q's:

1. Played around with your numbers. Do you know by some slim chance what THE

exact value is to be realistic? Or are you just guessing? I tried the range from

10-30. Right now I think I just settled on 20 for now until further testing when

I get more time. Will have to do some homework with a known Rifle/Cartridge,

known Distance, and known Wind Strength (?) to get close to published data to find

the closest variable to use in your script.

[Will also need something to measure the drift of projectile from scope crosshair;

so add known width of Target]

2. Also was thinking about working on my first script for a Kestrel/Sniper System

to use in concert with your script. Any thoughts on this? I would be doing a

script to somehow pullup the "Quest Sniper Buddy" (or whatever) and it would

show on the graphical display the details you would need to calculate that

long-range shot. My main question is do you know what range the (windStr)

Wind Strength is?

If I cant find the exact data, I would have to display something vague like

nil,light,fair,strong,etc wind readout. What is the max Wind Strength

when at 100%? You (or anyone) know?

Great Script! Thanks!!

Edited by Goblin
bored

This is a cool idea to bad it doesn't work and no instruction. I tried to install the demo mission but they won't load because of missing object

Mike

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2013 at 4:48 PM, zooloo75 said:

Any feedback?

Hey cool script man was wondering where i should place the code/script for checking wind direction