Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British Infantry

could u make regiments, like under groups ya got welsh, english, scotish, irish regements?

Possibly, will certainly have groups, as for what I end up naming them I'll have to see!

Is this going to be part of the UKAF pack by RKSL? Or is that arma 2 only...

As ROadKi11 said, I'm independent of RKSL with regards to the actual addon making but hopefully (and if nothing changes for ARMA3) it'll all come under the same UK faction so as to keep it all tidy in the editor.

EDIT: As for a little update on the addon, I haven't had much spare time to do anything on them since the last time I posted pictures. Although I'll need to fix a few things the last ARMA3 patch broke (backpack stuff mainly) before continuing on. Have done a tiny bit more work on the shadow LODs but nothing major really.

Edited by STALKERGB

As ROadKi11 said, I'm independent of RKSL with regards to the actual addon making but hopefully (and if nothing changes for ARMA3) it'll all come under the same UK faction so as to keep it all tidy in the editor.

Despite the fact i keep hinting/subtly trying to recruit him :)

RE UKAF - Nothing changes its still go for ArmA3 as far as i am concerned.

Will any units be gloved? Bare hands give me nightmares...

Will hopefully have a gloved character seeing as it's not too much extra work.

Despite the fact i keep hinting/subtly trying to recruit him

RE UKAF - Nothing changes its still go for ArmA3 as far as i am concerned.

Just not enough cookies on offer :P Good to hear the faction should carry over!

Anyways...

As for releases, seeing as ARMA3 comes out on the 12th I'm tentatively giving myself the same date as a deadline. That said, I am still a long way from what I'd consider complete, as things stand I have a Squad Leader, Rifleman and Grenadier working fine in game (minus the thermal textures and wounds IIRC).

With that in mind, would people rather I release something containing maybe, 5 or 6 different soldier classes that *should* be largely complete, or delay until I have more of the whole thing finished. Things like aircrew/tank crew would be stuff that I'd add later with more time as well as obviously more infantry classes and groups etc.

I think as long as you have the basics (squad leader, rifleman,grenadier, medic, autorifleman, and probably a JTAC with UAV access) that would be perfectly fine to release. I know I would be happy with just the three you have now. So if you need a tester.... ;-)

Bit of an internal changelog to show what I've been working on prior to getting these out the door.

-Fixed all wound textures, now functioning on every unit.

-Added thermal maps for each texture (although a knock off job tbh, will re-do when I have time)

-Added gloved uniform model (placeholder gloves though)

-Added rolled up sleeves uniform model

-Added MG/AR body armour setup

-Reworked scrimmed helmet (was changed after a BIS update as I reference their texture for it, still has no RVMAT yet though)

-Added second scrimmed helmet for some variation

-Moved HMNVS from left to right eye, no real real, just "feels" better I think.

-Modelled a Motherlode(ish) rucksack. Still have some other rucksacks I'd want to do.

-Instituted properly functioning faction class (so it will use the UK Armed Forces faction shared by a few different addon makers)

-Other little bits of tidying work on the models/textures/rvmats/configs/modelcfgs etc.

-Configured unit to take advantage of the UAV stuff.

So, currently I have a Squad Leader, Rifleman, UAV Operator, Radio Operator, Automatic Rifleman and Grenadier. Issues with that being that the Grenadier doesn't actually have an underslung on his SA80 (using Kiory's addon). I think there is an issue with his SA80s too, I get an error about a missing ti_ map, might be something I'm doing though.

Anyway, I'm sure pictures are more interesting than text lol.

brita3c.jpg

Larger

brita3ar1.jpg

Larger

brita3ar.jpg

Larger

brita3.jpg

Larger

Looks awesome cant wait for these - dont know if you have it planned but are you putting any tags/patches like so...http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/17/article-2218653-1587E240000005DC-864_964x640.jpg

The plan would be to have clan tags working but I dunno when I'll get that one, I still need to do the blanking plate that covers the velcro on the arm pocket but I'm pretty limited on the time I have to work on them so it'll be done when it's done

Those look really nice. Can't wait to do a Joint Op with a brit unit to see Multicam and MTP on the same field. :)

will there be a bikey as we only put addons on the server with a bikey and we are looking forward to using your addon

will there be a bikey as we only put addons on the server with a bikey and we are looking forward to using your addon

Yep, the addon will be signed :)

God these look great! Is the L85 (Kiorys?) coming with it or is it just for show?

Nevermind, just read the other post, doh!

Edited by TomClothier

God these look great! Is the L85 (Kiorys?) coming with it or is it just for show?

Nevermind, just read the other post, doh!

Haha yeah to clarify, kiory's sa80 won't be included with my download but will be required for the add-on, as mentioned above there appears to be an error with the add-on giving a message about a missing thermal map and AFAIK it wasn't fixed with any updated version of his rifle. I believe some other sa80s are being worked on and I'll probably switch to using them when they get finished.

scrim and helmet foliage is good, but not enough volume.

Yeah there's not too much I can do about adding extra volume unfortunately.

scrim.jpg

The way it's built is using "flat" pieces of geometry, so a lot of 2D triangles and squares. I assume the BIS scrimmed helmet was done in a similar (if tidier) manner. I could create 3D quares/pyramids but that would only lead to an already high poly count increasing. It's something I'd look at if I get more time.

By volume I assume you mean you'd expect it to look more like this: http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/jssmitty96/B27FA335-B30C-410E-B44D-D67C3EF8395A-35617-000007404FADC445_zpsb2117983.jpg

That said, there are some examples of less volumetric scrim setups or at least something I can say I based mine on :P

Just fantastic work!

Really looking forward to the release. Have to say, with more excitement than the actual game release :)

Looking good stalker.

I have only two critiques thou.

1) The pouches on the Osperay cummerbund obstruct the guys ability to get to his mag pouches and kind of looks a bit "AmericanGasho". :)

2) And finally rolled up sleeves? big no no. ( preventative measure for Flash Burns, Malaria risk reduction, Camo and concealment and most importantly.. to stop us scuffing our elbows :)

But I love the textures and the trousers, any chance of making a PCS Lightweight Jacket or Smock? :)

Edited by Cross888

Looking good stalker.

I have only two critiques thou.

1) The pouches on the Osperay cummerbund obstruct the guys ability to get to his mag pouches and kind of looks a bit "AmericanGasho". :)

2) And finally rolled up sleeves? big no no. ( preventative measure for Flash Burns, Malaria risk reduction, Camo and concealment and most importantly.. to stop us scuffing our elbows :)

But I love the textures and the trousers, any chance of making a PCS Lightweight Jacket or Smock? :)

Could you explain the first point in a bit more detail? (being a bit slow today lol), all my body armour models have mag pouches on the left hand side of the armour (at least, for the primary weapon) so I assume you mean in getting to the magazines on the "battle-belt"?

As for the rolled up sleeves, although it might be a big no no, there's a fair few pictures of soldiers with rolled up sleeves, admittedly not all are in a combat situation and they are at least below the elbow in some of those, half of those are the lightweight jacket too. For the sake of variation it'll probably get left in.

Speaking of the jacket/smock, it'll possibly get done at some point, like everything it depends on how much time I get lol

HERO SLEEVES! :D

Really liking the way these are looking... are there any plans for the ability to 'setObjectTexture' to put on Unit flashes and badges? E.g. Royal Irish DZ flash and 16AA Flash (I wonder where those ideas are from :P) I don't know how that would work in Arma 3 (I havn't spent a lot of time mucking about with it yet) but in Arma 2 things like that were used in the Unsung Vietnam mod to bring a bit more 'character' into the models, and It looked really good where you could play a specific Division. I was wondering if anything similar was planned for your Arma 3 models?

Also how many Load-Carrying variations have you got planned? One thing that I'm excited about in Arma 3 is the modular system of choosing your load-carrying solution, so that to a certain degree you have some freedom over what you look like in-game. Having this ability with the British Troops would be pretty nice, maybe 3-4 variations of Rifleman/LMG armor, then a Section Commanders assault vest or something (perhaps with a Corporal slide somewhere on it as well?) then a Plt Sgt's vest with maybe a CLR attached (possibly a Sergeants slide as well?) then perhaps one for Officers as well with maybe a Lieutenant's slide. Just a suggestion, I know it would be a hell of a lot of work to get that much variation into it but it would be something very cool to have.

Cheers,

Also how many Load-Carrying variations have you got planned?

Currently have 4 variations in game:

vestss.jpg

Larger

I plan on having some more but won't be part of the initial release due to time limits etc.

are there any plans for the ability to 'setObjectTexture' to put on Unit flashes and badges?

Have been talking to vade101 about working on different flashes/badges for different units, again won't be part of the initial release and it's something that needs to be implemented without being too complicated as far as I'm concerned. I imagine something like it could be implemented in a few different ways so it'll be working out what works best.

If I get some time before release (still probably the 12th, maybe the 11th) I'm going to get to work on adding the blanking plate to cover the velcro on the arm pockets, I might ad the clan tag selection in the mean time to it so there is at least that functionality.

Just what I was hoping would be the case! :) Nice to know the planned release date is the game release date, brings the transfer date a bit closer for us haha! Good luck with the rest of the Project I'll definitely keep tabs on it as it looks really good so far, If you need testers don't hesitate to get in touch.

Currently have 4 variations in game:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/vestss.jpg

Larger

I plan on having some more but won't be part of the initial release due to time limits etc.

Have been talking to vade101 about working on different flashes/badges for different units, again won't be part of the initial release and it's something that needs to be implemented without being too complicated as far as I'm concerned. I imagine something like it could be implemented in a few different ways so it'll be working out what works best.

If I get some time before release (still probably the 12th, maybe the 11th) I'm going to get to work on adding the blanking plate to cover the velcro on the arm pockets, I might ad the clan tag selection in the mean time to it so there is at least that functionality.

That looks good that man.

The ballistic underware looks alley too haha.

Yeah basically the webbing if worn is there for ammo and extra crap like weapons cleaning kits 24 hours rations etc. where as having it on your osperay for mounted ops means the waggon is carrying your rations and essintial survival gear (Rations water) etc so your basically just carrying 6 mags and maybe a grenade, basically self defence whilst your vehichel burns and your waiting for another call-sign to rescue you. Where as the webbing you have 24 hours of gear to fight and survive with.

But yes to clarify what i ment by number 1 is:

The problem with having ammo pouches that high up is that you just can't get in to them.

Imagine having to pull an magazine from the ammo pouch under you're armpit whilst in the prone position, you just wouldn't be able to get your mag out, never mind standing.

british-troops-in-afghanistan.jpg

Obviously that's the old Osperay MK1/2 but the same principle applied put something on your armor above those pouches and you're not getting in there.

Picture is of 3 Para in Kandahar 2008.

PD54697472_16x-201_2247437b.jpg

As you can see there that young Jock has his pouch barely on his osperay due to the fact that if it was fastened on the armor it would be to high up for him to get to with his right arm, And that's an important one that's his personal med kit.

On his left you will note the ammo pouch is not on the front of his armor but it almost is because having it that high up under your arm makes it near impossible to get too.

Sleaves are always down for Ops only time there up is barrack dress, you make see guys with them slightly rolled up but never further then the elbow because all thou they might think they look alley the stonking crowbags after going prone a few times they remember there elbows are just skin and bone and cover em up :)

Really the only time you will see guys with ammo on there osperay is when there on mounted operations IE M-WMIK (Jackals) or Foxhound etc etc.

Whilst trying to adhere to the clear plate policy that UK troops have. But then that comes down to personal preference but i believe that's being stamped out now by all the angry RSM's now that the UK has returned to General warfare role (Syria Iran).

But you are right with the ammo situation Magazines for the IW (L85's) would be on the left and Grenades are situated on the right side. I like how you've made the webbing actually on his hips too most people who make modes put the pouches on the front which is a NO NO for obvious reasons.

LMG gunners or GPMG Gunners usually carry ammo on both sides of there webbing left and right for Link and spare in the top of there day sacks.

For example I used to carry 400 rounds in my Webbing 3/200+ in my daysack with the spare barrel and either 100 or 200 on the gun, or if I was on GPMG the same but with a 50 round starter belt wrapped round the gun.

Purposed solution.

Now here's were i get necky and cheeky.

I don't want to tell you how to make your mod as its you're train set. But have you considered making two sets of armor?

One with pouches just on the osperay lower down and and slightly rounded to the front but still maintain the clear plate policy for mounted op's

And one with the webbing belt gear for dismounted general warfare dutys?

Because its unpractical to wear your kit with some on the osperay and some on the webbing with exception to admin panels and Personal role radios?