Sign in to follow this  
iratus

New nakedeye zoom level and its effects on gameplay

One of the changes from Arma 2 to Arma 3 is that the nakedeye zoom does not zoom in as much as it used to in Arma 2. I have to admit, I had some trouble hitting enemies that where further away at the beginning. First I thought it's just me not being used to the new graphics and controls, but then I did a comparison (via screenshots) to be sure:

Vergleich.jpg

Both pictures are taken at a distance of 200m while using the maximum nakedeye zoom aviable, needless to say without a scope. I've then enlarged the pixels via photosoftware to make the effect more visible.

This makes it more difficult to see/spot units at great distance and it reduces the range at wich unscoped weapons can be used effecively. (Indirectly it also "boosts" the usefulnes of scopes).

Personally, I like the change, because it makes it harder to spot enemy troops in the distance. Also in Arma 2 it sometimes felt a little bit too easy to hit enemies at distances of 400+ meters just using a aimpoint (for example with the M14 AIM). On the other hand it feels just a little bit overdone to me. Now it's really hard to hit a standing, well visible enemy at 300m using Ironsights, aiming at a target that's maybe 2 pixels wide does not work. And 300m should be possible IMO. So maybe the zoom should be increased a little bit to somewhere between what Arma 2 had and what we have now.

What do you think about this?

Edited by Iratus

Yes..it was unrealistically easy to hit targets without the need of proper optics in ARMA2...and also beyond reality was the "ease" which the player could clearly see/distinct various details (..again without proper equipment..) beyond 200m

I really like new FOV

I'd say practice more. I'm using the 'Proving grounds' mission:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149086-Proving-Ground-for-ArmA-3

Features like hit detection and bulletcam are great tools for improving aim.

What i find with iron-sights, they tend to shoot high. I'll zero 100m for targets past the 300m range and only sight to 300m. beyond 400m targets.

Even then, i'm aiming low on the target.

On a side note, the EBR ironsight is still borked. Up-vote my ticket here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=7111

Yeah Arma 2 was too easy. If you want to got more at distances with sights, use single shot and preferably if you are going to try hitting at +400m with iron sights, have a spotter to help you identify hits. And don't forget to stable stance. Joseph

On a side note, the EBR ironsight is still borked.

Well that explains why I did not hit a thing wth that rife :rolleyes: Using the Katiba I can reliably hit enemies at 350m using iron sights, so the zoom level seems to be fairly okay.

I would hazard to guess that they reduced it slightly because the average size of monitors is bigger than when they first decided on what the 'un-zoomed' zoom level should be. Apparently you're not really zooming in so much as you are un-zooming out.

I would hazard to guess that they reduced it slightly because the average size of monitors is bigger than when they first decided on what the 'un-zoomed' zoom level should be. Apparently you're not really zooming in so much as you are un-zooming out.

Dude don't break my brain... un-zooming out?

The ArmA 2 "zoomed in " view was actually the real 1:1 view, well if I recall correctly that's what the devs said in a previous thread where people were complaining that zooming wasn't realistic.

So if you look through a box of the size of your monitor, your FOV will be similar to what it was in A2 when "zoomed in".

Edited by Macadam Cow

Yeah. At least formerly, the zoom function was part of the simulation. The zoomed in view is about what you would see if you had a window into the world the size of your monitor screen, at the same distance from your face as the monitor. This view is very restrictive, so you have the zoomed out view to help you navigate in the game world. Essentially you have a zoomed out view to simulate your nominal visual acuity, and a zoomed in view to make up for the shortcomings of that view.

Now maybe they figure the size of monitors is larger, or maybe they reduced the zoom for game play purposes.

sounds good. however then zoom toggle key would be great.

Makes me wonder which one is closer to actual vision -- ARMA 2 or 3. Personally I have pretty bad eyesight so I don't really know how clearly I can discern people at a distance.

Makes me wonder which one is closer to actual vision -- ARMA 2 or 3. Personally I have pretty bad eyesight so I don't really know how clearly I can discern people at a distance.

This changes with both screen size and resolution. They just have to find a good all around middle ground.

very good change for the reasons the OP noted