Sign in to follow this  
Kemeros

Changing stance fluidly instead of by steps

It would be even more efficient to use something like CTRL+MOUSEWHEEL to control our stance. This way we could have a fluid change of stance even more precise than the steps.

The steps usually fall too high or too low. Using something like the mouse wheel would enable very precise movements.

I sadly couldn't find a video or image to illustrate my thoughts. I hope i explained it well enough.

I posted the same thing in the feedback tracker(#0007122). Vote if this sounds like something you'd want/like.

You guys have a good weekend!

Edited by Kemeros

Basically what I said in the other thread: personally I don't want it on the mouse wheel but more fluid steps would be great if they could do it without having to make big changes to the animation engine etc.

3 stances to 7 + adjusting left right so I guess there's about 11 stances total and one lying on your back so at least 12 is a great step above the usual 3 though so I'm pretty happy the way it already is.

just remap the keys?

Can't be done in-game. Can it be done using the txts?

Can't be done in-game. Can it be done using the txts?

Don't know any ways to do this yet. :/

Basically what I said in the other thread: personally I don't want it on the mouse wheel but more fluid steps would be great if they could do it without having to make big changes to the animation engine etc.

3 stances to 7 + adjusting left right so I guess there's about 11 stances total and one lying on your back so at least 12 is a great step above the usual 3 though so I'm pretty happy the way it already is.

Agreed that it would be great if it didn't need a big change in animations. I just think there is room for improvement still. The idea to add step was awesome but if you make it so you can adjust it completely... well the feature becomes completes imo.

Edited by Kemeros

Yeah, the absolute zenith of this feature, as has already been mentioned several times in animation threads, would be an implementation similar to Raven Shield, in which you are able to fluidly adjust your stance through the full range of movement, as well as leaning, by holding down a modifier key and moving the mouse. To be clear, for anyone who hasn't played it - that means you can adjust your posture to any height you wish between crouched and standing, in one fluid movement, essentially by bending or straightening at the knee.

But the current animation system is probably incapable of something like this. I know nothing about animations or how they are implemented, so someone tell me if what I'm about to suggest is dumb, but is there some way ragdoll could be used for this? If ragdoll can make limbs bend in a somewhat realistic fashion when a body drops, could it not be used somehow to raise and lower a character's stance using the same principle of bending at joints? I'm presuming that is how it is possible in RvS.

Modifier plus mouse sounds even better than using the wheel. :)

I don't know much animation myself so i can't answer that. I'll update my feedback page though with your suggestion. :)

Edited by Kemeros

if they can unlock stance up/down and left/right from the WASD keys and allow us to rebind it to any key, i would be happy with that. it is a pain in the ass having to stop, shift stance, then continue moving.. it's literally a killer feature the way it is set up now.

Added the same tag as yours. Hopefully, we can get some interest on this topic. :)

Edited by Kemeros

I support this, current process is an immersion killer. I thought about the mouse wheel but then where to remap the ingame menu scrolling.

I support this, current process is an immersion killer. I thought about the mouse wheel but then where to remap the ingame menu scrolling.

Not if you have to hold CTRL while you scroll with the mousewheel. Alternatively: Press a button to activate the Mousewheel menu and keep it for stance adjust while the key is not pressed.

Hmmm.. i like the idea of a button to enable to scroll menu. I often open the menu by mistake.

Edited by Kemeros

Modifier plus mouse sounds even better than using the wheel. :)

I don't know much animation myself so i can't answer that. I'll update my feedback page though with your suggestion.

it would be terrible with just mouse. see raven shield.

should be combined with mouse wheel because lateral mouse adjustments would have less impact on where you're aiming, as having more axis than that to control the stance would lead to unintuitive dragginess when you want to aim and change stance at the same time or simply want to adjust your aim immediately after a stance change.

mouse wheel would adjust up and down, while moving mouse from side to side will adjust lean values.

I think RvS was just fine.

I just imagined pushing a stance-mod-button with a finger of the left hand, right indexfinger ready for shooting, right middlefinger on the weel to pop up behind a cover, ring finger ready to go into optics. After 30 mins I'm done by repetitive strain syndrom... I don't know anybody who uses the wheel with the middlefinger..so those will suffer aswell :-D

I think, the devs should just let us map the keys as we want and make the animation more fluid without robotic and fixed positions.

Not if you have to hold CTRL while you scroll with the mousewheel. Alternatively: Press a button to activate the Mousewheel menu and keep it for stance adjust while the key is not pressed.

The mousewheel is the best choice because it is intuitive for up and down.

A modifier-button like CTRL is a must.

You could continue to use the mouse wheel for the standard menu (without Ctrl).

I also like the idea to use a modifier-key and moving the mouse (but not the wheel).

I could even think about a combination of these two: One could use a 2nd modifier key (ALT), for the purpose of leaning.

With that I could find the proper height first, and then leaning around corners with a key + mouse movement.

+1 for controlling stance hight via mouse wheel. i freaking hate the scroll wheel action menu.. any touch of the mouse wheel and the damn action menu opens up.. and every time i gotta reach over and hit backspace to close it.. urgh.. have a key assigned to open the action menu. hold to keep open, scroll to desired action and click middle mouse button or press the USE key to perform the action. on release of the action menu key, the menu closes(simple and prevents accidental selection of an action.. like detonating a satchel instead of climbing into the back of a heli.. and thereby killing everyone in it) .

expanding on the scroll wheel's use, while holding the "adjust" modifier key, we could transition through all the stances from standing tall to low crouch. using the scroll wheel alone could change you movement speed, from a slow creep, to balls out sprinting(as an addition to the default keys). and of course once the action menu key is pressed, control of the action menu. the "step out L/R" stances could be done by pressing the "adjust" modifier key + lean keys (what ever they may be bound to), and would also double to get into the "urban" prone positions while in prone (just pressing lean while prone should be the tactical roll).

this is just to reduce the control cluttering and conflicting actions. having to come to a stop to adjust my stance hight is really ridiculous. all movement actions/changes to stance hight should be dynamic and capable of being done while on the move.

Edited by [FHA]Dynamo

You know that's a good idea but with a slight tweak. Given the importance of stance shifting versus menu, perhaps it works better to make stance the default and Ctrl+mouse wheel for the menu?!

You know that's a good idea but with a slight tweak. Given the importance of stance shifting versus menu, perhaps it works better to make stance the default and Ctrl+mouse wheel for the menu?!

That´s exactly what I was triying to say^^

This could work too. The best would be to be able to map it the way you like. This way people can have it the way they want. Better gameplay.

Also changing stances while running is necessary, because otherwise its pretty useless. But BI developers are probably very aware of how limited the stance system currently is. Least we also need is dedicated stance up/down key bindings.

Also changing stances while running is necessary, because otherwise its pretty useless. But BI developers are probably very aware of how limited the stance system currently is. Least we also need is dedicated stance up/down key bindings.

I have recognised in ArmA3 that it is more important to have a possibility to take cover in a proper height, where you can see the enemy and didn't get hit.

I becomes often more killed because it is still unconvenient to set the right height but not because I am walking in the wrong speed.

This is not just cosmetic, but affects the function of the game.

I am exact opposite here.I am disliking that you can press adjust and go from prone all the way up to full standing.Its annoying when I run at a rock and press crouch and then use stance adjust to pop up for a few shots but the adjustments are so quick I leave crouch and start entering standing stances.Would rather see stance adjust only work in the chosen position.

And a kool thing I found last night is if you press prone/crouch or stand you reset the side to side stance.It was bothering me that when you side stepped it stayed with you until you pressed side step the other way and just slightly as its so fast it would snap completely to other side.:D Now I do my shooting and when I fallback I just press the stance I am in and it resets the side to side.Great stuff!!

Doesn't TrackIR offer analog lean? (not the same thing but along the same lines)

In one of dyslexi's videos he maps his rudder pedals to lean. I told my friend this and he loves it. Says it's very intuitive. Leaning via track ir is a PITA