Added: A "Breakwater" user animation to Gorgon

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jone_kone said:

:D holy sh*t, one can only wish that they keep squashing these really old bugs. Next the GPS (zoom, and shift click line).

Speaking of which, please could you enable us to customise keybinding for the "shift+click" map way-point. At the moment, anytime I set shift+click waypoint while in a fixed-wing or VTOL aircraft, my throttle unintentionally increases. I'm sure many players have "increase throttle" key-bound to left shift like me. Same goes for map line drawing.

• Like 4

What has changed in this problem? Or when it's planned to fix it ?

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T82570

Or go back to this ticket and open it.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120265

Make it possible to fully use UAV Darter.
- According to the scenario, UAV Darter can not monitor the object of observation without autonomous mode.
- Not in accordance with the scenario, UAV Darter can not monitor the object of observation in the offline mode, as it is not able to make an even flight or stop at the destination.

The loss of control over the behavior of Darter is not possible to get around, it always happens suddenly. The Darter camera loses the object of observation, due to constant uncontrolled rotation. Stop the rotation of Darter is not possible, or takes a long time, after trying to create a successful control point, in which Darter stops.

• Like 2

Tweaked: Van door actions were adjusted so it's now possible to use them also when remotely controlling a unit (i.e. via Zeus) 

Any more info? I know there are animations but i did not know there are vanilla door actions

3 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Any more info? I know there are animations but i did not know there are vanilla door actions

FFV seats passengersare able to open/close doors  (or helicopter ramps) which restricts their ability to shot from inside - it's nothing new and only compatibility with Zeus controlled vehicles was added.

• Like 2

Someone can explain to me ?

« Added: "Maddog" LOAL capability for the AMRAAM and R77 missiles »

From Development Branch Changelog, 13-06-2018 post.

What was the reason for PCML submun not triggering correctly?

59 minutes ago, x3kj said:

What was the reason for PCML submun not triggering correctly?

It used to be triggered only by proximity to the target. Now it also triggers on impact (like standard HEAT). We also don't have different submunition behavior based on the firemode to make the PCML representation a bit more accurate, so this was a necessary safety measure.

• Like 1

What was the decision behind a maddog fire mode instead of a data link enabled mode? And how do AI handle it? If I or the AI ripple off a few amraams and start killing friendlies won't it get real messy real quick? With the introduction of dedicated Sam sites data linking would be a better option, check out the USN SM-6 for example. Can be fired at targets from a ship and be targeted at anything that an E-2D or F-35 can see. The latest version of the amraam is also being fitted with this ability to so the F-35 and F-22 can be mini awacs for 4th gen fighters so they can standoff and shoot and not electronically reveal their presence. Besides no air force in the world would tell its pilots just shoot in that general direction you'll hit something, it maybe enemy it might be friendly but fuck it shoot towards it anyway. 

I was wondering if you could slip in a new firing solution for certain weapons that doesn't take terrain blocking the target into account. I have semi working AI artillery ( no scripts just data link) and it will engage way way out(20km+)  if the target isn't blocked by terrain. 

15 minutes ago, snoops_213 said:

What was the decision behind a maddog fire mode instead of a data link enabled mode?

All those missiles have datalink as well.

15 minutes ago, snoops_213 said:

And how do AI handle it?

AI can't utilize autoSeek :/

3 hours ago, snoops_213 said:

With the introduction of dedicated Sam sites data linking would be a better option, check out the USN SM-6 for example. Can be fired at targets from a ship and be targeted at anything that an E-2D or F-35 can see. The latest version of the amraam is also being fitted with this ability to so the F-35 and F-22 can be mini awacs for 4th gen fighters so they can standoff and shoot and not electronically reveal their presence.

Check out the Roadmap, you will be able to do exactly that as well (radar site). In the current dev build you can already shoot missiles using the data link, without using your own sensors (e.g relying on other aircraft or AA tanks sensors).

Maddog launch works quite well. Can be powerfull if you use it well (e.g on clear weather). Sneaking up to enemies :shoot: and they wont know whats hitting them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yoshi_E said:

Maddog launch works quite well. Can be powerfull if you use it well (e.g on clear weather). Sneaking up to enemies :shoot: and they wont know whats hitting them.

LOAL for missiles does sound potentially a bit "OP" though, especially given it seems that it's going to be available for ARMs as well. This is a new thing for me though - so I may be wrong, but going by web sources it seems that ARH missiles need at least initial guidance from the launch platform (you mentioned this in the other thread too). I really hope this is not going to work BVR and only for kills within visual range, with a reasonably high failure rate. Maybe the acquisition cone should be narrower too? Right now it's a massive 100 degrees on the BIM-120D. There's an old discussion on the DCS forums about how the AMRAAM having this capability with a wide cone was detrimental to gameplay. Information from  wikipedia suggests this should only really work in moderately close range, since the missile's seeker isn't that powerful. Dumbfired missiles should probably be more susceptible to chaff too.

I don't know if planned but SAMs should probably not have this, imo. Still feel that they should use SARH anyway - would let people dodge missiles by hiding behind terrain, thus breaking radar lock from the base station.

This would be quite useful for IR missiles though, especially for the CAS planes. Seems like the real world ASRAAM has this capability - albeit only at close range.

What an encore...

Cant wait to try out the new radars and SAMs. :) Its actually now the final piece of the battlefield puzzle. The new assets will probably have a bigger impact on the whole arma battlefield than just being a new threat for us flyboys. Now defending a sam site or radar station actually has a purpose. Also SF strikes deep behind enemy lines become more relevant.

New ship is finally the amphibious launch platform that was never implemented in the carriers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jone_kone said:

What an encore...

Cant wait to try out the new radars and SAMs. :) Its actually now the final piece of the battlefield puzzle. The new assets will probably have a bigger impact on the whole arma battlefield than just being a new threat for us flyboys. Now defending a sam site or radar station actually has a purpose. Also SF strikes deep behind enemy lines become more relevant.

New ship is finally the amphibious launch platform that was never implemented in the carriers. 

New threat?

SAM sites have been important and incredibly powerful since their introduction with jets DLC, if properly set up.

With a wee bit of initial set up you can make AA missile platforms fire over 10km+.

Transmitting information from a radar scouting vehicle to a dedicated SAM system or site (all seem to be limited to 16km receiving range) you can easily build a network to cover all airspace.

Fortunately for all pilots no MP missions are utilizing this:

Imagine having something like this on KotH.

Cheers

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

LOAL for missiles does sound potentially a bit "OP" though, especially given it seems that it's going to be available for ARMs as well. This is a new thing for me though - so I may be wrong, but going by web sources it seems that ARH missiles need at least initial guidance from the launch platform (you mentioned this in the other thread too). I really hope this is not going to work BVR and only for kills within visual range, with a reasonably high failure rate. Maybe the acquisition cone should be narrower too? Right now it's a massive 100 degrees on the BIM-120D. There's an old discussion on the DCS forums about how the AMRAAM having this capability with a wide cone was detrimental to gameplay. Information from  wikipedia suggests this should only really work in moderately close range, since the missile's seeker isn't that powerful. Dumbfired missiles should probably be more susceptible to chaff too.

For AMRAAM, at close range you can launch without a radar lock (called a "maddog"), the missile will track the first target it comes across, so you need to be careful if you do that. It works as long as the intended target is within the missile seeker's range, or close enough that you can count on missile acquiring it soon after launch. It doesn't work for BVR for the simple reason that you can't see what you're shooting at. :) You can try hitting a datalinked target that way, but if it's not moving directly towards or away from you, there's a good chance it won't be anywhere near the missile when it gets there.

Generally, at ArmA ranges ARH is the way to go with AMRAAM, SARH only comes to play at extreme ranges which are not usually a factor in Arma, although it can also be used to supplement the active seeker for a higher hit probability.

And yeah, the wide view cone does make for though gameplay, but we're going for realism here. :) This is more likely to come up in dogfights rather than BVR, though. This is what boresight mode is really for - getting a quick shot off in a tight situation when you're out of Sidewinders and too far for guns.

4 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

New threat?

SAM sites have been important and incredibly powerful since their introduction with jets DLC, if properly set up.

With a wee bit of initial set up you can make AA missile platforms fire over 10km+.

Transmitting information from a radar scouting vehicle to a dedicated SAM system or site (all seem to be limited to 16km receiving range) you can easily build a network to cover all airspace.

Imagine having something like this on KotH.

Cheers

while back in OFP someone linked up assets by scripts so that addons like DKM-Tungushkas were fed by radar sites. When the network was up, no plane could even start cus the available islands were pretty small at that time.

New roadmap. Very nice. 

I hope in 2018 we will get Arma 3 warfare mode and module.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Receiving range of data link doesn't seem to be the problem. From all my testing it seems that its the locking range is limited to 16km for missiles even if the missile is set up for 16km+. Its weird because AI artillery rounds will engage well beyond 16km but missiles won't.

@oukej will shorad missiles in current AA vehicles be getting a slight increase in their effective range? I know Sam sites are coming but they still struggle to defend themselves let alone the area they are supposed to defend. And with the introduction of ARMs coming will turning off the radar and moving defeat the missile? 

On 6/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, dragon01 said:

For AMRAAM, at close range you can launch without a radar lock (called a "maddog"), the missile will track the first target it comes across, so you need to be careful if you do that. It works as long as the intended target is within the missile seeker's range, or close enough that you can count on missile acquiring it soon after launch.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, dragon01 said:

And yeah, the wide view cone does make for though gameplay, but we're going for realism here. :)

My fear is that an approximated system coupled with Arma distances pretty much means there's little need to bother with locking in most engagements. Platoon level or even company level operations will usually have 1 to 5 friendly aircraft in the air at a time (including helicopters), so there's no real need to be careful most of the time. This only feels like it's relevant in public servers.

More specifically regarding the BIM-120D (aka ammo_Missile_AMRAAM_D) - the missile has a sensor and lock range of 13km. Sensor has a 100 degree cone, lock cone is 140 degrees. So to me it seems like in a lot of cases, simply firing the missile at where the enemy is/most likely to be will be enough, unless the missiles are tweaked further to reflect this new change (e.g. AMRAAM's own sensor should have a much lower range, maybe?). I don't know where this ranks on the "realism" scale.

Anyway, I'd also argue that we're going for deeper and more interesting gameplay - realism may or may not fit in well there (especially given that so much has to be simplified or approximated because of "engine limitations" or just dev time).

11 hours ago, snoops_213 said:

And with the introduction of ARMs coming will turning off the radar and moving defeat the missile? 

This is something I would like to know as well...

16 hours ago, snoops_213 said:

with the introduction of ARMs coming will turning off the radar and moving defeat the missile?

I made a Mod for ARMs a couple of months ago using the already implemented anti-radiation sensors.

It works there perfectly fine so I assume it will work with their ones as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMasterofBlubb said:

@SuicideKing  Would be interesting if the missiles get Anti Radiation sensors for long range and from like 1km it switches to IR/Vis.

In the real world you use different weapons, ARM to stop the usage of Radar and ATGM or bombs for the rest. Since most russian SAMs still can fire without Radar or use IR anyway.

In fact in most modern engagements since the Balkans War the use of ARM was all wahat happened, follow up attacks on functional armed forces are way to risky.

@Beagle i mean to fight the same target. IR is just more reliable. as it aproaches the Radartarget is checks if it can switch to IR so even if the radar is switched of in the last sec it doesnot save you. I can imagine that such systems exist