11 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

Who's laser will the bomb hit?

For my own education, did they change the range finder action again?  I thought the vanilla designator would range without firing the laser.  But to be honest, I've probably played with the RHS version for so long I'm getting it confused.

Obviously in reality you'd range with the rangefinder and designate with the designator.  I thought BIS made it like that now, but it sounds like I'm mistaken.

1 hour ago, Strike_NOR said:

This method (CCRP) is the no 1 method to deliver bombs in asymmetric warfare, because you are always well above anti-air threats and enemies have a hard time visually spotting or hearing you.

True, but I found that you can actually use CCIP quite well for that purpose. Simply fly high, level off, line up with your target and go into TGP. Don't lock it, just center the CCIP cross in it. Once it passes over the target, drop the bombs. That's a somewhat WWII-era approach to bombing, but it works well enough. In ArmA, you won't normally reach an altitude from which CCRP is typically used, anyway.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gatordev said:

For my own education, did they change the range finder action again?  I thought the vanilla designator would range without firing the laser

Yeah you now have to fire the laser to get a range, but that said, it lasts for only a second or less.

23 minutes ago, SuicideKing said:

Yeah you now have to fire the laser to get a range, but that said, it lasts for only a second or less.

The rangefinder laser doesn't actually "exist" in the game's world. It doesn't create a laserTarget entity that you could lock on. Laser designator uses different mechanics.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gatordev said:

For my own education, did they change the range finder action again?

I didn't make myself clear enough perhaps. The sniper team I was using as an example, picked a Laserdesignator as rangefinder device (as popularly seen in online CTI scenarios etc). In other words, it's an accidental ignorant choice by the snipers, who should be using a laser-rangefinder such as the Vector Nite, which can not designate targets for guided munitions in any way.

@oukej has reassured that the number you read in the games rangefinder, is actually a "cheat" way to do it to save performance. Instead of "pinging" an area with a simulated laser, you just have the game engine draw a line and measure the length of it and feed it directly into the rangefinder. To make the rangefinder appear less cheaty, the refresh rate of the rangefinder should be slower (once per second perhaps) or triggered by button. 

They would still have to "fire" the Laser designator in order to create laserTarget on the position which they are pointing at. Although it may still be accidental, it is clearly indicated in the LD.

47 minutes ago, Strike_NOR said:

refresh rate of the rangefinder should be slower (once per second perhaps) or triggered by button.

That is already the case (lase range with [T] key)

• Thanks 1

Yeah, ranging is a separate kind of laser, both IRL and in ArmA. For a sniper team to have the laser lit (knowing there's CAS flying around the area) while ranging targets would be very irresponsible of them. IRL, someone would be having their heads on a platter back at the base.

Fixed: Script errors in the Avenging Furies scenario of the Beyond Hope operation (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127633) 

Thanks, now I can finally finish that operation.

• Like 1

As jets has been mentioned here and bombs currently being worked on. How about activating rockets and mk82:s for the black wasp, gryphon, buzzard and shikra (well shikra could only use rockets as no opfor iron bomb model exists i belive)? Wouldn't need to do anything new. Just activate current available rocket pods and bombs for the jets.

• Like 1

Buzzard can carry rockets. I don't know about iron bombs, but check the innermost pylons. They're the only ones that can carry large ordnance such as bombs.

Sooeh. 

You got any of them devbranch updates?

Working overtime maybe? Or huge upload file :) 

Was getting hopeful about seeing tweaks to them missile profiles and such :)

Either way, have a great well-earned weekend!

1 minute ago, Strike_NOR said:

Sooeh. 

You got any of them devbranch updates?

Working overtime maybe? Or huge upload file :) 

Was getting hopeful about seeing tweaks to them missile profiles and such :)

Either way, have a great well-earned weekend!

inb4 logistical issues

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Night515 said:

inb4 logistical issues

You missed the quotation marks.

Which brings me to another point, I can't be the only one noticing this?

06-12-2017 No update due to "logistical issues"

18-01-2018  No update today due to 'logistical issues'

@bis_iceman started using single quotation marks.

What's going on? Secret message? Female civilians confirmed? Illuminati?

Cheers

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

yeah at this point they could he honest and say Not logistical issues haha. I wonder what is the reason for this funny remarks though.

I just noticed my error log spouting stuff like "..... showcamonethull - unknown animation source showcamonethull" regarding the Marshall.

it is about showcamonethull, showcamonetturret and showcamonetcannon ... never seen this stuff before. Was that always there?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 9:42 AM, Strike_NOR said:

I didn't make myself clear enough perhaps. The sniper team I was using as an example, picked a Laserdesignator as rangefinder device (as popularly seen in online CTI scenarios etc). In other words, it's an accidental ignorant choice by the snipers, who should be using a laser-rangefinder such as the Vector Nite, which can not designate targets for guided munitions in any way.

Guys, I understand the difference between the two in real life.  But the original scenario that Strike_NOR stated (and restated above) was that it was a designator (ie, the "additem" was BIS_laserdesignator_whatever_it's_called).  My question (and one I haven't had time to answer in game) was does the vanilla designator only range when you activate the designator?  The RHS one doesn't work that way (I'm pretty sure), and I thought BIS made their work in a similar way.

Sounds like the RHS version and the vanilla version aren't the same...was just trying to confirm that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lexx said:

I just noticed my error log spouting stuff like "..... showcamonethull - unknown animation source showcamonethull" regarding the Marshall.

it is about showcamonethull, showcamonetturret and showcamonetcannon ... never seen this stuff before. Was that always there?

Where'd you get this information! Who told you this! Who are you! You know too much!

I suspect some black vans and the ABC men will be arriving at your location anytime now. 

giphy.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, gatordev said:

My question (and one I haven't had time to answer in game) was does the vanilla designator only range when you activate the designator? 

No, it doesn't. The two functions are completely independent.

12 hours ago, gatordev said:

Guys, I understand the difference between the two in real life.  But the original scenario that Strike_NOR stated (and restated above) was that it was a designator (ie, the "additem" was BIS_laserdesignator_whatever_it's_called).  My question (and one I haven't had time to answer in game) was does the vanilla designator only range when you activate the designator?  The RHS one doesn't work that way (I'm pretty sure), and I thought BIS made their work in a similar way.

Sounds like the RHS version and the vanilla version aren't the same...was just trying to confirm that.

If one is trying to give every system another functionalty one wil run out usable keys ona keyboard. A lot of fuction are simply on [T] now and it would not help the game to add another 5 unconvenent key combsos when RL there is only one button to press.

16 hours ago, en3x said:

yeah at this point they could he honest and say Not logistical issues haha. I wonder what is the reason for this funny remarks though.

Sometimes we indeed are preparing some package to hit the Dev-Branch, but most of the time it’s an issue caused by internal circumstances. For example, yesterday our data packing server woke up to a not so splendid morning and decided to pack vehicle data without any collisions applied. Due to this, QA spent the day testing a fix deployed by our mastering heroes, but unfortunately still found some cases of corrupted data. QA applied a red flag on the build and we did not release it.

Pure example of technical issues, without quotation marks. :elfbash:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, bis_iceman said:

Sometimes we indeed are preparing some package to hit the Dev-Branch, but most of the time it’s an issue caused by internal circumstances. For example, yesterday our data packing server woke up to a not so splendid morning and decided to pack vehicle data without any collisions applied. Due to this, QA spent the day testing a fix deployed by our mastering heroes, but unfortunately still found some cases of corrupted data. QA applied a red flag on the build and we did not release it.

Pure example of technical issues, without quotation marks. :elfbash:

I had no idea before explanation. Curiosity comes out because we have been experiencing this logistical comments more then ever before. I'm sure that won't be the case for a long time thought after DLC 2.0 Enfusion *wink* wink*

33 minutes ago, bis_iceman said:

pack vehicle data without any collisions applied

uu9pmDP.gif

• Haha 3

@bis_iceman Thanks for the insight and transparent attitude :)

These things are nice to know, makes you appreciate that there are more cogs in the machinery that all come together before something is uploaded to the devbranch!

Looking forward to monday.

Have a great weekend!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dragon01 said:

No, it doesn't. The two functions are completely independent.

11 hours ago, Beagle said:

If one is trying to give every system another functionalty one wil run out usable keys ona keyboard. A lot of fuction are simply on [T] now and it would not help the game to add another 5 unconvenent key combsos when RL there is only one button to press.

So I'm confused...dragon01 is saying they're independent.  You're saying it should just be one button push.  Keep in mind, my intent wasn't to force a path forward one way or the other, just asking what the current vanilla system is.

FWIW, the system I work with in real life has two different button pushes, one for ranging and one for designating (albeit on the same "button"), so it's not an unfair question.  But I fear we've already gone off the rails at this point, so it's probably moot.