Then you've just negated AMD's main advantage, (price) since now you have to buy 2 GFX cards. Also, does that actually work???

You buy a good amd card and a 100 to 200 dollar nvidia card and then download the modded drivers to make them work together, with the nvidia dedicated for physx.

I think they trying to load "free" GPU time (and unload CPU). I think in this case buying the good nvidia card is better idea than "few cards".

It remains to find out what you are discussing here.

or just make it possible for PHYSX to be turned off, like borderlands 2

The whole Physx argument has been done so many times on this forum, don't think it needs to be thrown into the dev branch discussion..

I would like to add to it while its hear though, PhysX in it's current state is a complete sham. The only reason it gives a benefit over AMD cards is because it's entirely closed source to run off very specific proprietary hardware. NVidia purposely keeps it closed source to ensure a false advantage in "features". It is essentially used to lock out features from their competition, to me it just feels wrong and hurts the gaming world overall.

AMD's approach to physics, has been to develop and keep all their physics open source allowing easy creation/modification and cross hardware compatibility.

Personally I refuse to support PhysX games until one of two things happen.

One, they go open source to allow AMD or other future GPU manufacturers the ability to convert the PhysX code to their own equivalent hardware.

Two, they market and sell dedicated PhysX cards. At this time, Dedicated physx cards are not a viable option. They not supported and patches roll out to block them happen with every driver update. Meaning at any moment they could be locked out for good. It's a constant struggle for hybrid physx solutions. If an amd card is detected in your system, GPU PhysX gets DISABLED entirely. I would gladly buy an official dedicated PhysX card if one was available and supported.

Nvidia also requires some pretty hefty contracts in order to implement PhysX into games. No one knows the details for it to be used in Arma 3, however I wouldn't doubt somewhere in the fine print it forbids allowing the use of PhysX and an AMD equivalent solution to be used allowing a complete feature set across all compatible hardware.

Why not choose AMD GPU physics, TressFX, OpenCL, DirectCompute, Bullet, for particles and keep nvidia physx for current ragdoll, and vehicles? Those are open source allowing Nvidia cards to run them as well. Unlike the current situation with PhysX and AMD.

The whole argument is not about one brand of cards being better or having an advantage over the other. It's about accessibility of technology/features. Developing content that can only be used by one hardware manufacturer is alienating half of your community. This is very apparent when there are possibly not as advanced, but equally adequate methods of particles physics which can be used by all instead.

In other notes, I still find the AI is a little too slow in close quarter combat. The ability to run near them without being shot due to their turn and tracking speed is still present. I saw the update to adjust shots at large distances, hopefully we'll soon see their ability to turn and aim at the enemy with more accuracy at 10 feet away.

the PhysX in Arma 3 is CPU based ... so no point turn this in to NVIDIA vs rest (AMD, INTEL) GPU argument

and yes, it would be great if NVIDIA opens PhysX to run via OpenCL on any GPU platform ...

the PhysX in Arma 3 is CPU based ... so no point turn this in to NVIDIA vs rest (AMD, INTEL) GPU argument

and yes, it would be great if NVIDIA opens PhysX to run via OpenCL on any GPU platform ...

and its CPU based in Borderlands 2, and turning it off offers insane increases in FPS when anything related to PHYSX would occur.

i do remain nervous using games made with support from nvidai after the crysis 2 debarcale, where crossfire stopped working, until you renamed the .exe, and all indications was that it was directly linked to nvida

The basic physics of the game and additional particles and fluids - two big differences. The second one simply scaled on the CPU without required GPU.

I think we will not see Gilly suit with Nvidia Fur simulation. :)

Edited by Anachoretes

I found an interesting bug: If your character is doing an animation and you die (explosion, bullets...) the animation will keep going and your character will drop dead after the animation is finished. That looks pretty stupid and should be fixed

I found an interesting bug: If your character is doing an animation and you die (explosion, bullets...) the animation will keep going and your character will drop dead after the animation is finished. That looks pretty stupid and should be fixed

Welcome to Arma.

Any repro for this? Because this should be fixed ages ago for A3 :icon_twisted:

Any repro for this? Because this should be fixed ages ago for A3 :icon_twisted:

I just tested this today in the A3 editor. I put C4's around me, started vaulting, detonated the bombs in the middle of the animation, and my character didn't die until the vaulting finished.

It also happened to me a few days ago when I was playing COOP: AI shoot me while I was healing myself, and I could still see my character doing the healing animation on my death screen!

Im pretty sure you can kill people while they are healing. You just have to wait for their animation to finish before they flop to the ground. :)

Im pretty sure you can kill people while they are healing. You just have to wait for their animation to finish before they flop to the ground. :)

That's basically it. Certain animations cannot currently be interrupted and will always play to the end, even if the person performing them is dead.

So far it seems that vaulting and healing animations are affected.

Do we receive micro updates to DEV build through steam that don't show as a download?

I ask this as last night while I was working on my sound mod, the "closure" sounds worked so i began my work on them, this morning no closure sounds again like the have been turned off or something. This has happened through the Alpha specifically with the closure sound class, No downloaded update show at all.

Do we receive micro updates to DEV build through steam that don't show as a download?

I ask this as last night while I was working on my sound mod, the "closure" sounds worked so i began my work on them, this morning no closure sounds again like the have been turned off or something. This has happened through the Alpha specifically with the closure sound class, No downloaded update show at all.

all trafic though steam should show up as downloaded, another project i'm on does 4.7kb (for eample) updates if the a text file gets changed

Sometimes we do also update the 'packaging' of the game, such as the Steam application properties - but I don't believe that shows as a download. All other real updates are announced, unless someone forgot to tell me, meaning I need to hunt them down :292:

Has there been any talk about biopods/resting weapons or such by Bi lately? I heard Jay Crowe mention it, but he din't say much about it.

Type: Public Alpha

Branch: Development

Version: 0.61.106546

Speaker Male01_F not found in CfgVoiceTypes

I current dev build, all radio sound is gone. Play infantry showcase; no radio comms can be heard between squad members at beginning. You can hear voice sounds that the player makes, tho.

I haven't tried deleting my profile to see if that fixes the issue...

@DNA

On DEV build "closure" sound class worked yesterday night, now its stop working. maybe this is a bug rather than a micro update then?

@Nimrod123 even if its below a certain size?

That's basically it. Certain animations cannot currently be interrupted and will always play to the end, even if the person performing them is dead.

So far it seems that vaulting and healing animations are affected.

Thanks a lot, gentlesir, we are going to investigate that :icon_twisted:

The issues with the radio protocol are likely an EXE versus data desync - and should hopefully be gone once we stage Beta.

LODs are really bad since yesterday (i have not played on the weekend). Did you guys change anything like that?

I only changed the nvidia driver back to 314.22 because the new driver (320.18) is not stable in my system. To many crashes. i will upload an video later.

Yep, LODs are bad (flickering), lots of black textures.