Cargo positions, Cargo views, and all associated config entries are hard-coded for a specific vehicle. You can use attachTo for attaching these pods, but that will cause a few weird issues, like, you will not be able to "just" point at a chopper and command your AI to enter, you will have to "hit" the pods.

Has anyone played around with attachTo and the new rotorlib AFM? I'm wondering if the attached object has an impact via weight or if physX is disabled during attachTo which I vaguely recall reading in some patch notes a few versions back.

It may well be possible to use scripting to implement a carry/release setup for the Taru but there's not much point if using attachTo makes the AFM behave funky.

Then ..To the argument about having to decouple hydraulics and hours of detaching, health and safety procedures forms being filled out, being a possible factor In the decision making at bis. Yeah I really don'tsee what this has to do with a game feature. you completely lost me.

What I was trying to say is that I feel about instant-changing pods (and, to Alwarren's point, fuelling and repairing) like a lot of people feel about the instant-heal First Aid Kits: they're much quicker and easier than the real activity would be. Which is why I'm not bothered that instant-changing pods aren't available. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if they added it - it just isn't an issue for me if it's "missing".

If that is the case, then the only connection between the pod and the aircraft would a twistlock, and TBH, there's a nicely modelled one on the aircraft.

Fair enough. I'm pretty open to the idea that they could be designed as quick-change units. It's only that I think the reason we don't have any comparable aircraft around now (that I know of) isn't because of a lack of technology (quick-release couplings have been around for decades) but because the weight/cost/complexity/reliability/tactical flexibilty tradeoffs don't favour it - and likely won't in the near future either. I'm ok with seeing boring engineering cost-benefit analysis take a backseat to gameplay awesomeness though.

If anyone were interested in scripting a solution, my approach wouldn't be to use attachTo. Instead I'd spawn a heli of the appropriate variant, switch the crew from one to the other, spawn/remove the separate pod, delete the original heli and put the new one in the original's position. Ensures you have the appropriate Flight Model effects of the right variant and hopefully no wackiness from a confused engine.

Has it been discussed anywhere about the sensitivity the helis are to bullets? I think this will be a BIG problem in game play. Testing it while flying past some AI shooting at me with regular rifles and after a few hits heli goes down... Is this to be expected from the community? Just wondering...

IRL I know of Black Hawks that continued flying with 500+ 7.62 bullet holes. Black Hawks can also get RPG hits on the nacelle without sustaining critical damage, provided it doesn't hit the tail rotor area.

Yay!

also that depends where the enemy fire hits - if it hits some weak parts of the helo then it surely goes down

also that depends where the enemy fire hits - if it hits some weak parts of the helo then it surely goes down

True. I havn't had any issues with the new helo's vs small arms fire, but one time, I did get nabbed twice or 4 times by 6.5. Thing is, they my engine every time, and I was flying the Huron. I went down, but that's kinda expected... Stealth gets rid of a lot of armor based defense when it comes to aircraft.

Those who complain about helicopters being to weak against small arms fire are mostly just experiencing things from the pilots seat. Try being on the other end. Place a AI helicopter flying circles around you and try to shoot it down with something like 5.56 or 6.5mm. It's not as easy as you might think :)

Sometimes you can get lucky and score a critical hit though.

I was making a mission earlier where the player is harassed by an Orca. I must have emptied 18-20 magazines into it as well as all of my ai team firing at it before giving up and then checking to see if I had made it invulnerable or not ( I hadn't ).

Those who complain about helicopters being to weak against small arms fire are mostly just experiencing things from the pilots seat. Try being on the other end. Place a AI helicopter flying circles around you and try to shoot it down with something like 5.56 or 6.5mm. It's not as easy as you might think :)

Sometimes you can get lucky and score a critical hit though.

Sorry i should have been more specific. I was seeing this with the Huron. I'll have to try this out to test it more. Thanks

Okay! The new choppers might not be fine tuned properly yet, so that's a good thing to test.

I have done some simple tests and the results of these can see them in the video. This video does not try to prove anything about the damage to the helicopters as this video recorded on a development version of the game and may or may not be a problem. The end of the video shows the damage taken by the mrap Hunter = 0% Damage:raisebrow: Watch the video by clicking the spoiler :popup:

I have done some simple tests and the results of these can see them in the video. This video does not try to prove anything about the damage to the helicopters as this video recorded on a development version of the game and may or may not be a problem. The end of the video shows the damage taken by the mrap Hunter = 0% Damage:raisebrow: Watch the video by clicking the spoiler :popup:

Well... my thoughts, your ramming helicopters (which in real life, are made of... light materials), with Mine Resistant Ambush Proof vehicle... That's like hitting a tin can with an steel hammer.

Well... my thoughts, your ramming helicopters (which in real life, are made of... light materials), with Mine Resistant Ambush Proof vehicle... That's like hitting a tin can with an steel hammer.

I agree. That's how it should go.

Working as intended, most people don't realise how weak helicopters are. (less true with military helicopters but still, you can only put so much armor on a giant flying fan before it can't fly anymore) And how strong those MRAPS are...

Edited by arziben

I'm sorry but I disagree on your reasoning for helicopters that conducted the test are much more resistant materials. If it were the case of a civilian helicopter X9 M900 or if the damage is understandable because their construction is more fragile. :nono:

I'm sorry but I disagree on your reasoning for helicopters that conducted the test are much more resistant materials. If it were the case of a civilian helicopter X9 M900 or if the damage is understandable because their construction is more fragile. :nono:

Well, unless your ramming Hind sure, maybe it'd do less damage. But anything with stealth features won't be that strong. Not only that, but ram a standard Chinook at that speed in real life, i can almost guarantee it won't be flying again, until after repairs. I mean seriously, the Ghost Hawk lost it's tail by just nudging it on a concrete wall during it's only mission. That shows you how fragile they are.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

You need one 6.5 bullet to give Taru's main rotor a red status. 3 is enough for the engine to turn orange.

I'm sure those are very sensitive parts in a helicopter IRL, but in the game I don't think I want to be in an aircraft that's as fragile as a hang glider.

I know they are support vehicles and meant to be kept away from bullets, but how often that's even remotely possible in Arma?

Edited by Greenfist

Helicopters trunk is quite durable. This heli drops with 30 miles/h ~50km/h.

Hunter aka M-ATV weights 12,5 tons so wonder why it did take any damage , that thing is really that strong

just for a comparison - Humvee weights only 2 600kg

Edited by RobertHammer

You need one 6.5 bullet to give Taru's main rotor a red status. 3 is enough for the engine to turn orange.

I'm sure those are very sensitive parts in a helicopter IRL, but in the game I don't think I want to be in an aircraft that's as fragile as a hang glider.

I know they are support vehicles and meant to be kept away from bullets, but how often that's even remotely possible in Arma?

In that case, yes, it's wrong. Even though the rotor IS very very very fragile but one 6.5 would probably won't be enough to destroy it, and one can assume the Taru has some kind of armor.

Helicopters trunk is quite durable. This heli drops with 30 miles/h ~50km/h.

That has nothing to do with how they resist shots... cars are also very durable in crashs till 50kph, and they are not exactly known for beeing bullet stoppers.

In that case, yes, it's wrong. Even though the rotor IS very very very fragile but one 6.5 would probably won't be enough to destroy it, and one can assume the Taru has some kind of armor.

Shouldn't be rotor taken out only by .50 cal or higher?

When I said main rotor I meant this part here, by the way:

l0wnR2a.jpg

Not a very big target but still very likely to get hit by a spraying rifleman.

Well the 6.5 could damage it but not with one shot , more like with 100

one shot should be only with .50cal

Edited by RobertHammer