Drawing the scope and gun in 3D as opposed to just a 2D image with a hole might cause a slight performance decrease. I can't see it being significant, though, and the trade off is more than worth it!

Iron sights make your FPS drop?

If anything it should go up since you have a narrow FOV.

Iron sights make your FPS drop?

If anything it should go up since you have a narrow FOV.

Well, I meant compared to the lack of gun drawing whatsoever currently whilst looking through a scope. But yeah, it shouldn't impact compared to not aiming down the sights at all. As to the FOV, good point, though again I can't see there being much of a difference.

doubt there will be a noticeable performance decrese (~1FPS), since then it would happen to all scopes such as aimpoints and holographic ones just as well.

doubt there will be a noticeable performance decrese (~1FPS), since then it would happen to all scopes such as aimpoints and holographic ones just as well.

True. For some reason, I was thinking of the new scopes as being fundamentally different from the aimpoints and such. With that in mind, I wonder what stopped BI from implementing 3D scopes earlier, like back in A2.

True. For some reason, I was thinking of the new scopes as being fundamentally different from the aimpoints and such. With that in mind, I wonder what stopped BI from implementing 3D scopes earlier, like back in A2.

Unsure, probably time and the feature itself while nice wasn't extremely important. Maybe they saw DM's M4 pack addon with the acog's that work in a similar fashion and decided to go with it?

The same "tech" that was used to make proper working aimpoints now (instead of a texture on the scope glass, like previous titles) have to do with that. Dunno how it works or why it was so hard to include them, but I'm glad their are in.

Now to another point: AA "mask"\interface. It's a placeholder for sure but the 2D "lock box" shouldn't exist it looks bad and out of place, instead use a more in-game representation for it. On a strech, the same is valid for every other weapon\vehicle that uses that. Eyecandy for sure, but will you blame me for saying that?

Drawing the scope and gun in 3D as opposed to just a 2D image with a hole might cause a slight performance decrease. I can't see it being significant, though, and the trade off is more than worth it!

id happily give a few fps for 3d optics to be honest i will just turn AA off completely..

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

can someone also give me a link to the hints and tips for the settings menu on arma 3 to get the best possible quality and performance?

i cant seem to find any thing.

This sounds silly, but I'd like to see changing fire modes to be more fleshed out. As it currently stands I can hold alt and look down at my weapon and see what fire mode I'm set to. Unfortunately this doesn't actually ever change. It would be incredible for immersion, and help out with the more hardcore game settings where you have no HUD and have no way of actually telling what fire mode your weapon is set to. Also I know you don't 'have to' stare at your weapon when toggling states, but it would be nice if there was a slight animation on the weapon when flicking the switch to a different fire mode. Either way, it's something that doesn't need to be implemented but if BI could find the time to do so, it would be incredible.

Animations for that (hands or for the weapon), don't see it happening. A *click* sound for it could do it. Same for range adjustment on scopes.

This sounds silly, but I'd like to see changing fire modes to be more fleshed out. As it currently stands I can hold alt and look down at my weapon and see what fire mode I'm set to. Unfortunately this doesn't actually ever change. It would be incredible for immersion, and help out with the more hardcore game settings where you have no HUD and have no way of actually telling what fire mode your weapon is set to. Also I know you don't 'have to' stare at your weapon when toggling states, but it would be nice if there was a slight animation on the weapon when flicking the switch to a different fire mode. Either way, it's something that doesn't need to be implemented but if BI could find the time to do so, it would be incredible.

With the weapons I had the chance to use, I could always feel the switch with my finger and know the mode it's in, much like pressing F here to bring up the hud thingy

Admittedly I prefer "minimal HUD" to "no HUD", simply because a HUD can be used to stand in for things that you would be tangibly feeling (i.e. your stance or, if like with Ceh always feeling the selector switch position).

Mind you, there are Arma 3 weapon mods where there were "visibly changing" selector switches and/or even iron sights whose position changed according to the zero distance, and we see some of the latter with the underbarrel grenade launcher... it's just that changing either fire mode and/or zero distance are instantaneous in-game and therefore instead of "actual" animation it's just an instantaneous visual change. Still, with selector switches that is enough to accomplish what DaRkL3AD3R was calling for in the sense of "look down and see fire mode". :) Even if we don't see this brought to the official weapons... at least this capability exists at all (for use by weapon addons) in the engine already. :D

Oh, switches and dials that would turn/respond would be magnificent :) In that case, I might even make a point to look at it while switching :)

Just note that such "turn/respond" is instantaneous, i.e. the visual model going from one position to another without any interim animation (of moving from one position to another) since the gameplay change is instantaneous as well.

With the weapons I had the chance to use, I could always feel the switch with my finger and know the mode it's in, much like pressing F here to bring up the hud thingy

Having used an AR-15 on the range more than a few times I can agree yes you can tell what fire mode you're in when using a weapon you're familiar with, all without looking at the selector. However in a game all about realism and authenticity, having a weapons fire mode selector indicate full auto when it's really on Semi, well it breaks it a bit for me. Makes me not want to hold alt and look down to appreciate that gorgeous modeling. I realize animations for toggling the states specifically would be a lot of work, but maybe perhaps something like what Battlefield 3 does where you hear a click and see the gun move slightly as the soldier changes the switch?

Just notice the way the weapon does a slight twitch and you can hear an audible change as you toggle states. This makes you feel grounded in the game world and feel connected with your weapon. The way it is in Arma is a very flat, soundless and robotic change with no indication other than your HUD changing.

The thing about the BF3 solution is that it only indicates fire mode switching, not what you've switched to. Of course, BF3 doesn't have free-look with which you can visually check... but seriously, DaRkL3AD3R, support for what you originally asked for exists already in RV4. ;) At least, if I interpreted correctly as simply "the selector switch position changes at all".

I find the new profile works fine but the old profile still has the issue even when deleting the new profile and switching back to the old one.

I have the same issue. The new profile Stance Indicator looks fine. The old profile's Stance Indicator does not appear no matter what I do with a new profile.

You guys moved the GPS out of the way! I WANT TO HUG YOU ALL!

Hey guys... played some today.

Combat pace then going into crouch makes your walk crouch and walking and then going into crouch makes you combat pace crouch... any ticket for this yet?

Also not being able to freelook when aiming is annoying. It is possible to nudge your view somewhat... but when you let go it only resets horizontally! Also nuts and obviously bugged.

My biggest problem is still this though:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6755

Not being able to bind all buttons to any command really sucks.

Not to mention the extreme shakes you get whenever you are in an adjusted stance -- any ticket yet?

Ofcourse there is because I was nice and made one:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8545

Edited by Sneakson

The thing about the BF3 solution is that it only indicates fire mode switching, not what you've switched to. Of course, BF3 doesn't have free-look with which you can visually check... but seriously, DaRkL3AD3R, support for what you originally asked for exists already in RV4. ;) At least, if I interpreted correctly as simply "the selector switch position changes at all".

What is RV4? I know that BF3 doesn't let you look at the switch so it's a slightly different league, but still you can't deny that the way we toggle fire modes right now is very disconnected from the actual weapon. It's extremely obvious that there's nothing happening besides a number changing in code, that's it. You lose the sense of holding the weapon, and physically doing something to it. I am not saying we need to see the finger slide the selector specifically to a certain state, just put in some animation and sound to indicate you have changed fire modes is all. If we can make modded weapons that actually show the current state for fire mode, even better. But would love it even more if BI did it officially on their weapons.

I am not saying we need to see the finger slide the selector specifically to a certain state, just put in some animation and sound to indicate you have changed fire modes is all. If we can make modded weapons that actually show the current state for fire mode, even better.
And that is indeed what I'm saying, that the engine ("RV4") supports this, the underbarrel grenade launchers show this when changing zero distance, and I have already seen modded weapons that have selector switches change position (albeit instantaneously without a thumb animation) when changing fire mode, so it already exists... I just see a miniscule chance of the devs ever doing this with to the BI weapons.

BIS will have to animate soldier moving the switch on every single weapon in the game, I doubt BIS will do it.

This isn't just a pair of bodyless hands flying in the air like BF3 - in ArmA to you it will look like you've shaken your weapon and the switch changed position which if anything will look like it's time to replace that switch.

What BIS needs to do is add a sound effect, some kind of click and it will be enough for starters.

BIS will have to animate soldier moving the switch on every single weapon in the game, I doubt BIS will do it.

This isn't just a pair of bodyless hands flying in the air like BF3 - in ArmA to you it will look like you've shaken your weapon and the switch changed position which if anything will look like it's time to replace that switch.

What BIS needs to do is add a sound effect, some kind of click and it will be enough for starters.

Did you know, that BF3 does it by having the weapon shake. What's so hard about animating a small weapon shake and having a click sound play? That's how the leading technology giant DICE does it.

I’ve not played BF3 so wouldn’t know how they do it. But it’s a little like driving, lots of tasks become second nature without the need to look at what your doing, so its not a big deal if an animation for switching fire modes is not included, for me anyway..

DaRkL3AD3R posted it on the prior page, but

's a video demonstrating what BF3 does, although I believe what DaRkL3AD3R was calling for was not so much an animation like this as for the weapon model's selector switches to show the current fire mode when you free-look down to where they would be.

@chortles - Isn't this already done by the fhq m4 mod?