Is it just me, or is the in-game "Restart" button erasing all custom loadout info, and starting the mission with mission's default weapons? This seemed to happen multiple times in the campaign, when I died before the first checkpoint (or custom save). If I load checkpoints or savegames, this doesn't happen.

So right now the only way to avoid this is to exit to main menu as soon you die, and then start the mission again from campaign list. That way you get to keep you customized gear loadout. OR one can simply save manually as soon as the mission starts (enabling infinite save files helps a lot :P).

Could someone else confirm this? :j:

The current firemode-switching-sound is broken:

The soundsource stays where you spawn. If you move left, you will hear the sound to your right. If you are far enough away you cannot hear it anymore. Instead of that it should be attached to your weapon.

How can anything be ambient in Arma? if you not supposed to go near it the BIS should have made the module better, just making a boat float up in the air and being invisible is stupid.

The module needs to just spawn the ammo and be silent or have a new weapon class created specifically for it so we can map new sounds to it rather than have to fake the audio like was done on their zeus trailer.

The current firemode-switching-sound is broken:

The soundsource stays where you spawn. If you move left, you will hear the sound to your right. If you are far enough away you cannot hear it anymore. Instead of that it should be attached to your weapon.

Confirmed. I actually just posted it in the devbranch audio thread before coming here and reading.

Confirmed indeed, it shall be looked at - cheers.

Good catch, I'll adjust that one, makes sense :icon_twisted:

That's going to be used for adding different item by scripting? It seems pretty easy to me to just remove the weapon from holder and place another instead, or is there any other point I am missing? :icon_twisted:

Great addition to todays dev branch, thanks :). One thing though is that you can add pretty much everything to the new empty weapon holder except "items" like vest, uniforms, headgear, medkits etc etc. Could we also get an empty item holder added into the editor or a generic empty weapon holder that will accept all types of gear?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

How can anything be ambient in Arma? if you not supposed to go near it the BIS should have made the module better, just making a boat float up in the air and being invisible is stupid.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that this was probably the intention, i.e. just create the illusion of combat going on beyond the current area of operation.

The module needs to just spawn the ammo and be silent or have a new weapon class created specifically for it so we can map new sounds to it rather than have to fake the audio like was done on their zeus trailer.

Agreed. The current tracer module is "the easy way out": It probably did what the devs intended for it to do.

I think such bug is absolutely on the low priority list, just like the holo sight right excursion, which though has been reported from the the early Alpha.....

With regards to the latest OPREP: Refacturing Anims, while you are at it, could you have a look at this ticket? This is about the movement/animation of magazines when reloading a weapon.

Right now, the way to model a magazine is clunky at best.

1. Magazines can only be moved in a straight line, or must be animated with a lot of entries in model.cfg to obtain anything but a natural looking reload that matches up with the hand movement.
  2. Reload of the weapon is tied to the weapon, not the muzzle or the reload gesture used in the specific case. This has a number of additional negative implications, like

1. The magazine going out of the weapon is always animated, even if a different muzzle like the grenade launcher is reloaded.
    2. Standing and prone animations must line up 100 percent or one of them will not look correct.

[*]Movement must be very carefully synchronized with the RTM

[*]The weapon needs to be still while the magazine is moving or the extra movement of the detached magazine will look very weird.

Therefore, I proposed two possible alternatives in the ticket:

Option 1: Make it possible to use an RTM/skeleton to animate reload and other aspects of gun movement.

Option 2: Add appropriate bones to OFP2_ManSkeleton

For option 1, it would be great to be able to give different animations for different muzzles (which would, in turn, mean that the grenade launcher breech could be opened/closed and a real grenade inserted in the anim). It would also be great if things like switching fire mode or switching to grenade launcher could have appropriate anims as well, so that the solider actually moves his hand to the fire selector and/or flips up the grenade launcher sight for GL's like the M203 and M320.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention these since you are working on the animation system. Things like that would IMO go a long way of adding polish to the game. Just compare how reloading in other games look (I don't want to call a certain Mr. Doody here for reference ;))

the news that you are Refacturing Animations is great to read. be goodto see arma3 get a lot more modern in that respect. hopefully that'd eventually include a more infantry animaitons and more advanced weapon handling (horz recoil, bipod deploy, lmg carry position, etc). respect to take on that task.

Hotfixed: Disappearing of large objects at certain camera angles
Thank you ! I tested it, no disappearing buildings and rocks anymore , a glimmer of hope :D

I hope the Refacturing Anims will bring eventually those missing animations too - like the bolt action , GL reloads , pump action etc

I hope the Refacturing Anims will bring eventually those missing animations too - like the bolt action , GL reloads , pump action etc

Switching weapons on the move, anyone? ;)

From what I remember, they said that wouldn't be possible without a major revamp of the animation system. This could be that revamp.

Switching weapons on the move, anyone? ;)

From what I remember, they said that wouldn't be possible without a major revamp of the animation system. This could be that revamp.

I'm not sure, but I certainly hope so. The tone of OPREP does not quite strike me as adding the necessary things for it that Smookie mentioned a while back. I really hope it also assumes making anim blending/layering a first class citizen, but that they just haven't mentioned it.

I have a feeling the a vaulting/climbing feature would certainly piss someone off to the point of demanding a revamp from programmers of the interactions between anims and controls system as it would involve many more "regular" animations, states and the need for connecting it to all the things.

I can't even imagine the pain of whoever had to deal with the inclusion of tactical pace and adjustable stances.

I recently watched some videos on Unity's Mecanim, and the way it deals with animations seems out of this world. I really hope that the devs might be getting something akin to that.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I'm not sure, but I certainly hope so. The tone of OPREP does not quite strike me as adding the necessary things for it that Smookie mentioned a while back. I really hope it also assumes making anim blending/layering a first class citizen, but that they just haven't mentioned it.

I have a feeling the a vaulting/climbing feature would certainly piss someone off to the point of demanding a revamp from programmers of the interactions between anims and controls system as it would involve many more "regular" animations, states and the need for connecting it to all the things.

I can't even imagine the pain of whoever had to deal with the inclusion of tactical pace and adjustable stances.

I recently watched some videos on Unity's Mecanim, and the way it deals with animations seems out of this world. I really hope that the devs might be getting something akin to that.

Ehh tactical pace already kinda existed it just never had it's own dedicated 'button' to activate it. Hop into Arma 2 and raise your iron sights, notice how you're moving slightly faster than walk, you can compare this easily by holding and letting go of walk and the difference is obvious.

Ehh tactical pace already kinda existed it just never had it's own dedicated 'button' to activate it. Hop into Arma 2 and raise your iron sights, notice how you're moving slightly faster than walk, you can compare this easily by holding and letting go of walk and the difference is obvious.

I'm aware of that, but that's like saying adjustable stances kinda existed because when you pointed your weapon down you could hide more of your body behind walls.

•Added: Gear commands for getting names of slot items - hmd, binocular (see http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11199)

I want to say thanks for this - should prove useful.

Could you also please revisit the ticket Killzone Kid put in the tracker asking for the gearSlotData commands to be fixed? They were broken as of Alpha and would be invaluable for inventory management.

There was a comment put on the ticket saying they were low priority but I hoped as you have added these bino-slot commands, you could now look at the rest of the inventory?

(I can't link the ticket as FT is banned from my work PC).

the campaign missions in Gori are broken for me in the current dev branch. after I go through the briefing with Stavrou, it brings me to the 'weapons tables', but I'm stuck in letterbox, and can't move, take weapons, etc

the campaign missions in Gori are broken for me in the current dev branch. after I go through the briefing with Stavrou, it brings me to the 'weapons tables', but I'm stuck in letterbox, and can't move, take weapons, etc

The same has happened to me in the first episode, Survive- after the briefings, I appear at the weapons table, unable to move, and must wait for the mission time to tick down to continue.

I want to say thanks for this - should prove useful.

Could you also please revisit the ticket Killzone Kid put in the tracker asking for the gearSlotData commands to be fixed? They were broken as of Alpha and would be invaluable for inventory management.

There was a comment put on the ticket saying they were low priority but I hoped as you have added these bino-slot commands, you could now look at the rest of the inventory?

(I can't link the ticket as FT is banned from my work PC).

You mean this one http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8421 ?

With regards to the latest OPREP: Refacturing Anims, while you are at it, could you have a look at this ticket? This is about the movement/animation of magazines when reloading a weapon.

Right now, the way to model a magazine is clunky at best.

1. Magazines can only be moved in a straight line, or must be animated with a lot of entries in model.cfg to obtain anything but a natural looking reload that matches up with the hand movement.
  2. Reload of the weapon is tied to the weapon, not the muzzle or the reload gesture used in the specific case. This has a number of additional negative implications, like

1. The magazine going out of the weapon is always animated, even if a different muzzle like the grenade launcher is reloaded.
    2. Standing and prone animations must line up 100 percent or one of them will not look correct.

[*]Movement must be very carefully synchronized with the RTM

[*]The weapon needs to be still while the magazine is moving or the extra movement of the detached magazine will look very weird.

Therefore, I proposed two possible alternatives in the ticket:

Option 1: Make it possible to use an RTM/skeleton to animate reload and other aspects of gun movement.

Option 2: Add appropriate bones to OFP2_ManSkeleton

For option 1, it would be great to be able to give different animations for different muzzles (which would, in turn, mean that the grenade launcher breech could be opened/closed and a real grenade inserted in the anim). It would also be great if things like switching fire mode or switching to grenade launcher could have appropriate anims as well, so that the solider actually moves his hand to the fire selector and/or flips up the grenade launcher sight for GL's like the M203 and M320.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention these since you are working on the animation system. Things like that would IMO go a long way of adding polish to the game. Just compare how reloading in other games look (I don't want to call a certain Mr. Doody here for reference ;))

upvoted & QFT

The same has happened to me in the first episode, Survive- after the briefings, I appear at the weapons table, unable to move, and must wait for the mission time to tick down to continue.

There's a ticket and discussion here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167405-Campaign-Episode-1-SURVIVE-Feedback-thread-**-SPOILER-WARNING!-**&p=2626158&viewfull=1#post2626158

Please vote it up,

OP