Per the latest dev branch update, skill shouldn't be based on rank. A soldier's ability to shoot well isn't dependent on his rank. It should be randomized within a certain range, if possible.

It has been in the game before. We've reduced the influence by narrowing the range.

Removing the skill distribution based on the rank in Groups completely was also an option, but then we wanted to retain some diversity inside the groups regarding the leader as the most skilled one (not necessarily reflecting the reality)

I know it´s OT but I just wanted to tell you guys that your Idea with the Modding contest is great!

Not only will it encourage the modders we have, but it might also draw in lot´s of new ones. The potential ammount of new high quality mods that might come out of this excites me. The cooperation with the red cross will help to spread this news.

I see it as a very generous gift to the community and I´m very thankfull for that. Nice job guys.

And by the way, kuma´s armor is very weak.

Depends where you hit. Kuma has thickest front armor of all MBTs ingame.

It has been in the game before. We've reduced the influence by narrowing the range.

Removing the skill distribution based on the rank in Groups completely was also an option, but then we wanted to retain some diversity inside the groups regarding the leader as the most skilled one (not necessarily reflecting the reality)

I mean, I know it's been there, just saying what it should be, and the mention of it provided a perfect opportunity to mention it. But does it influence more than just shooting accuracy?

Will the fatigue change make it into the next stable branch update?

No, this effort is currently waiting on programming attention to solve a few issues before we can properly tweak it further.

Unlikely, they're not even on current Dev Branch.

Too bad. I really liked where it was heading together with the new gear material based penetration/damage system. I hope to see it again soon, but at this rate it won't be until after the next chapter release.

Ninja'ed by dev.

*Scalpels and GBUs should be able to lock IR Grenades.

Does this mean I can have a player throw a IR grenade to a target and from the cockpit I'll see a red target box to lock onto, designated by the IR grenade and drop either a scalpel or GBU right on the nades poisition!?

:yay:

Why does it say "should" it either works or doesnt? :confused:

Does this mean I can have a player throw a IR grenade to a target and from the cockpit I'll see a red target box to lock onto, designated by the IR grenade and drop either a scalpel or GBU right on the nades poisition!?

Yes, that's what it means.

It should work now as it didn't before, so in case it's still broken, let them know via Feedback Tracker.

It works fine in our testing environment, but that doesn't mean it is 100 % bulletproof - as Sniperwolf said, let us, please, know in case of any issues :icon_twisted:

Started working on the commo rose, so wanted to give you guys a screenshot

FemXPl7.jpg

its fully working as of now. Its controlled by holding LCTRL + mousewheel up or down.

Will start adding actions into it soon.

This is how I'd like these to be in Arma 3.

ACTION

Self interaction key that opens a menu.

- Interact with yourself. Change for tracer mags, examine your wounds and heal yourself, change NVG brightness and community can fill this up with much more. You go through this with mouse clicking.

Interaction key that opens a menu.

- Interact with bombs and mines, other people for example healing, drag/load etc. objects in a truck and community can fill this menu also. You go through this with mouse clicking

Action key and it's related to a scroll or some kind of a action menu. Same menu what we've now.

- The menu only have more options if you're getting in a vehicle, in a vehicle changing seats and probably some other things. The default action is always the one that you're watching so if you're near and watching a driver seat you go in that seat pressing only the action key. If you want in another seat you can scroll or just run to the point.

One big thing is that we need a system that Sakura is making and Dsy has made the famous video about it. What you watch is what you interact.

COMMANDING

Selecting troops with F keys like now and of course one button to select all the troops.

- F keys also opens the quick command menu where are hold fire etc. So no changes here.

Command key that opens up the main category menu 1. Move, 2. Target, 3. Engage etc., etc.

- This way you don't have to remember what is number 8 because you can see in the category menu that it's Formation.

- You go through the menus with number keys just like now.

- When the command menu is open you don't do anything that has been assigned for number keys. So you won't change to your rifle if you hit 2 for example.

- I'm not going to say how those menus could be more clean and what commands are/aren't necessary.

So commanding changed only that we need one more key to open a menu but in the same time made it already more accessible for newcomers.

Now we have 1234567890 keys left for free. We could change weapons without action menu or weird key combinations like in many other games and there are some keys of course left for anything you like.

This is how BIS could've come bit forward :P The next thing is what I call coming in this century.

EVEN FURTHER

This can be developed even further if we could equip throw items and explosives. This would very likely need some new animations. This would also ease the interaction menus that I described earlier. Like this:

1. pistol

2. rifle

3. launcher

4. grenade launcher

5. throw items frag

6. throw items smoke

7. other throw items like chemlights

8. mines

9. explosives that you can set off

0. ? medic stuff?

When you just tab your number key you select or take that in your hand. When you hold you can change for different rounds, GL grenades, rockets, explosives, throw items with scroll and equip it when you release the number key. Or ctrl+number key we could cycle through those things. Probably bit easier to do but the first one is the ideal.

And this is how I would feel that Arma has stepped out from the 90's and this is how you make the game more accessible :cool:

Edited by St. Jimmy

I keep taking rotor damage in the wildcat if I am on the ground. I landed safely to let a group in and a few seconds later my rotors stopped spinning and ROT turned red. Same thing when starting the game on the ground. If I start spinning the rotors and stay on the ground too long I take damage. And they both lift off within seconds. Even while blades are slow.

Also I can't use my map. As tank crew and heli pilot (the only ones I tested so far) When I push "M" all I get is message saying "cannot connect to positioning system." that is in and out of vehicle. And I do have map in my inventory.

Edited by Victim9l3

Also I can't use my map. As tank crew and heli pilot (the only ones I tested so far) When I push "M" all I get is message saying "cannot connect to positioning system." that is in and out of vehicle. And I do have map in my inventory.

What mission were you playing?

• Scalpels and GBUs should be able to lock IR Grenades

Curiously I've got to ask why this was considered? The laser designator at the moment provides a better laser guidance system considering the IR Grenades do not stick to vehicles or other objects unless thrown atop of them. It's also slightly unrealistic considering that IR that is visible under NV is operating on a different frequency to the type that is used in aircraft munition guidance, which also looks for laser designators on a specific frequency that a pilot must input. This is typically supplied during brief or when receiving a 9-line from a JTAC/FAC. (This also ignores how the munition or aircraft sensor must be able to "see" the point, as demo'd best by Nou's implementation of IR Guidance in Arma 2 ACE.)

My only concern is that the IR Grenade is best served for visual marking due to the excellent draw distance it has over normal smoke or chemlight marking techniques. (This was tested by myself and others when the recent Dev branch came out, chemlights typically draw out to 600m whereas we found that IR Grenades draw out past 3k.) My only concern is that due to the tab-lock nature of Arma's guided weapons and the lack of ability to visually identify locked targets by extended means (by targeting pod), does mean that there is a chance for friendly fire if IR Grenades are used to mark targets, in the same space that a nearby friendly group may mark themselves or a possibly older position with an IR Grenade without a JTAC/FAC being aware when directing the aircraft in.

I would ask that this feature be reverted, the IR Grenade can still provide an excellent tool for visual guidance with its excellent draw distance. The added "lock-on" just appears to be unnecessary and open to causing incidents due to the tab-lock nature of Arma and the lack of CCIP for aircraft munitions.

You will simply need good communication with the pilot to avoid accident. Also, you can tell him to do a pass from a certain direction to make the bombing more secure.

Love the new editor objects, the posters and graffiti in particular. It would still be really cool though if alot of the Objects (Small) could be made into inventory items. I know it's not a quick job because they'd all need icons and would have to be configured for weight/capacity, but hopefully it will be done eventually. You could have some interesting gameplay possibilities if it was possible to carry all those things.

Friendly TAG - Difficulty default: On - I use this as a close range friendly identification as it's not easy to know who is who as in real life. I don't like that it works for larger distances, and would rather I had the option to only show close range friendly TAGs,

Errr, yeah. I'd like to second that. Like a 1000 times :). Is there a ticket yet?

Thank you for that!

Seconded. This was really frustrating.

Also, I don't remember the main menu doing the sub-item animating. While it looks really neat, in some cases you're just forced to wait after a click. Like if you open up the configure menu, then want to go into a sub item of play, it animates the Configure closing then Play opening.

If I might suggest altering the mechanic so that the open still animates, but close is instant or that the close happens at the same time as the open.

I slapped together a demo of what I'm trying to say.

Has anyone noticed ? Can't reload rpg alamut when there is a few rpg missiles in backpack.

Seconded. This was really frustrating.

Also, I don't remember the main menu doing the sub-item animating. While it looks really neat, in some cases you're just forced to wait after a click. Like if you open up the configure menu, then want to go into a sub item of play, it animates the Configure closing then Play opening.

If I might suggest altering the mechanic so that the open still animates, but close is instant or that the close happens at the same time as the open.

I slapped together a demo of what I'm trying to say.

Nice one :) Voting for option number two, #1 feels a little bit jerky.

Anyone notice a few hangers are now missing from the north west portion of the central airfield?

Has anyone noticed ? Can't reload rpg alamut when there is a few rpg missiles in backpack.
Yeah, but it applies for EVERYTHING. Mags, rockets and all that can't be reloaded from the backpack, and when you take some out of your pack one of the mags just disappears.

since i can't post in terrain improvement section, regarding latest nordkindchen screens, they look really awesome, just like comparing a game from 1996 with 2013! But, there is also a negative thing about that, you made some of desert terrain, look green, which imo isn't right. Still i'm glad your back to work!

Anyone notice a few hangers are now missing from the north west portion of the central airfield?

No. Counted 6 hangars in both dev and stable build.