the ppEffect WetDistortion is broken in latest dev-branch version

code:

_ppGrain = ppEffectCreate ["WetDistortion", 305];

_ppGrain ppEffectAdjust [1, [0,1], [1,2,5,2], [1,1,1,3], [2,2,5,6]];

_ppGrain ppEffectEnable true;

in main-branch the effect is visible 360° around the player, in dev-branch it is only visible 180° around the player. If the player look to east the effect is visible, but if he turn to west the effect stops.

edit: fixed today

Edited by CJoke

All the talk about frame rates. Do people actually think the fps given in the video section of the configuration option is the in-game fps? The fps in that video section has no reflection of in game frame rates. It only shows the fps of what you are looking at at the time. In-game is considerably less and it constantly changes. I'll agree with fraps for the best way to monitor. I think a lot of the fps improvements in the dev build isn't so much about making fps better than yesterday, but better for higher settings. It seems like dropping to lower quality settings don't make my fps better. Most of my settings have better fps with high qualities.

With the sun directly in your face, it should be very hard to make out shapes. As it is now, it's better than in the stable but still not blinding enough. It's a real shame, I liked the effect as it was in the first implementation, at least it should go some middle ground here. Sun in your face means you have to squint.

Could it be due to settings/hardware? The sun was a very prominent for me when looking directly into it with yesterdays dev build...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

It seems like dropping to lower quality settings don't make my fps better. Most of my settings have better fps with high qualities.

Oddly, I also found this to be true yesterday. While struggling with sudden poor performance, I reduced rendering res to 50%, and FPS did not increase. But then I increased res back to 100% (1920 x 1200), did a alt+tab to desktop and back to game, and performance was good again. Sometimes I have to fiddle around to get back to good performance. A good way to know if the game is out of whack is to look straight down at ground or straight up to sky. If FPS does not increase up to max (60 for me with vsync on), then you know it's borked, and you have to restart game, do alt+tab, or something (reboot or log off/on). This is odd, and I don't have this issue with A2. But my SLI card (GTX 295) is old and does not support DX11, only DX10. So maybe that has something to do with the issue?

All the talk about frame rates. Do people actually think the fps given in the video section of the configuration option is the in-game fps? The fps in that video section has no reflection of in game frame rates. It only shows the fps of what you are looking at at the time. In-game is considerably less and it constantly changes. I'll agree with fraps for the best way to monitor. I think a lot of the fps improvements in the dev build isn't so much about making fps better than yesterday, but better for higher settings. It seems like dropping to lower quality settings don't make my fps better. Most of my settings have better fps with high qualities.

yep, as someone that monitors my fps externally (rivatuner), that number in the menu is not you ingame FPS. it goes up the moment you pause, and then usually goes up a little more after that

it is helpful in that it goes up and down when you adjust (some) settings. but it is not a representation of your ingame FPS

True as I play with 3 monitors and I get the same FPS whether I use one monitor (1920x1080) or three (5760x1080).

Oddly, I also found this to be true yesterday. While struggling with sudden poor performance, I reduced rendering res to 50%, and FPS did not increase. But then I increased res back to 100% (1920 x 1200), did a alt+tab to desktop and back to game, and performance was good again. Sometimes I have to fiddle around to get back to good performance. A good way to know if the game is out of whack is to look straight down at ground or straight up to sky. If FPS does not increase up to max (60 for me with vsync on), then you know it's borked, and you have to restart game, do alt+tab, or something (reboot or log off/on). This is odd, and I don't have this issue with A2. But my SLI card (GTX 295) is old and does not support DX11, only DX10. So maybe that has something to do with the issue?

yep, the first thing I do when I start up the game is alt-tab out and back in. if I don't do that, vsync does that thing where it's constantly dragging my framerate down to 30fps

that is using the ingame vsync. before I was forcing it with the nvidia control panel, and what I noticed was it was very inconsistent as far as if it would work on start-up. it was obvious because I start-up to the 'empty' world (water), and if vsync wasn't working, I would be getting like 140fps (v-sync should have brought it down to 60). alt-tab would fix that as well

^ ^ Don't forget to use the new in-game triple buffering! It seems to work quite well. :)

Added: New type muzzle flash for tanks (applied on T-100)

I don´t see any real change on the muzzle flash...

But since we are at it: I really like that there is smoke coming out of the barrel after the shot but the Flash looks kind of ugly and small.

So please take this as inspiration

(note that this happens during a split second, the current Flash is visible for too long I think)

The Flash in Arma 2 was quite good btw.

Edited by Tonci87

With the new DEV-version, now the game dont crash in MP, but server.exe still does. Before both crashed, now suddent just server.exe crashed and lost connection to it in game (both in same machine).

Found another one without slow motion so that you can see how long the flash is visible

Found another one without slow motion so that you can see how long the flash is visible

I wish the cannon smoking feature can be seen in the game.

"Improved: Damage handling on wheeled APCs"

I tested all the wheeled APCs just last night and can't bring myself to do it again. Any word on what was improved?

I wish the cannon smoking feature can be seen in the game.

I assume you mean the white smoke pouring out after shot? That's already ingame, though not as spectacular... honestly it looks more like a proof of concept.

About the video, seeing that video, with the crew beside their tank, I just realized the tank in ARMA3 is too small/too low. The hull of the tank in the video shows that it's almost the same height as the crew, maybe neck level. But in ARMA3, it seems like it's waist length. Btw, I'm talking about T100

"Improved: Damage handling on wheeled APCs"

I tested all the wheeled APCs just last night and can't bring myself to do it again. Any word on what was improved?

Handling internal penetration, similarly to tracked vehicles improvements in this field.

in dev-branch, i only notice yesterday after updating my nvidia driver to the last beta one (GeForce 331.40 Beta): in the same place (in an empty map i placed a unit and saved as FPStest.altis and another one FPStest.stratis since arma 3 alpha to test fps performance) i was getting 174 in altis now i am only getting 130, and only in altis, in stratis i still get the same FPS as before. I know it does not make any difference when playing but i am just saying so you guys know something is different. And last week was good! Today i switch to stable branch and boom fps back to 174. Then back again to DEV and 130.

I did re-install the older nvidia driver and tested, so is not the driver.

:(

in dev-branch, i only notice yesterday after updating my nvidia driver to the last beta one (GeForce 331.40 Beta): in the same place (in an empty map i placed a unit and saved as FPStest.altis and another one FPStest.stratis since arma 3 alpha to test fps performance) i was getting 174 in altis now i am only getting 130, and only in altis, in stratis i still get the same FPS as before. I know it does not make any difference when playing but i am just saying so you guys know something is different. And last week was good! Today i switch to stable branch and boom fps back to 174. Then back again to DEV and 130.

I did re-install the older nvidia driver and tested, so is not the driver.

:(

Lightshafts were added so that might have little impact but dunno...

New muzzle flash effect, T-100:

Nice, but larger, spherical effect does not always occur. The whole thing could be a little bigger, dramatic, and flashier, as per the real T-90 vids shown above. But it does the job... Particle quality is standard.

The effect is nice but that "blob of fire" is what kills me on explosions, firings, hits and more. Tell me is just a placeholder from A2....

Handling internal penetration, similarly to tracked vehicles improvements in this field.

So in what sorts of situations should I see a difference? Penetrating the sides and rear of wheeled APCs with HMG and autocannon to kill the crew proxies? I like to go test all the damage model changes.

I'd prefer to see more discussion on what people are finding with regards to the hotfix, since this is the most critical fix for Arma 3 ATM.

I'd prefer to see more discussion on what people are finding with regards to the hotfix, since this is the most critical fix for Arma 3 ATM.

Haven't had a crash after the patch, testing has been a bit less than extensive tho

Could it be due to settings/hardware? The sun was a very prominent for me when looking directly into it with yesterdays dev build...

/KC

Don't think so. I didn't change settings, the sun was definitely toned down quite a bit.

I found my way into the dev branch but there is only one compatible server running the dev branch, Domination and it has 3 players. I'm not sure this is going to help test the physX issue. We need a well populated server and possible p vs p not p vs ai.