To add some extra info to your statement, fatigue is also linked to weapon sway.

Best,

RiE

will this mean the AI are effected with fatigue too?

Sorry, I should have made that more clear, there is no new rain system, just some analysis done in spare time that outlines the cool future potential of the feature area (I spent six years in Glasgow, I have to like rain).

The actual work that is going into it now is about updating what we can, like sounds/textures, which we hope can help in some way.

... something like this?

Wawn daay... (on DEV branch) it stawted wrainin!! an it din quit fo fow mownths!

But in all seriousness, re: the future of rain; syncing up the weather across clients in multiplayer seemed to be a real trial for ARMA2, so I would guess there is a lot more to the task than mere visual fidelity and updated effects.

Either way I'm looking forward to rain coming from all directions.

E

When crawling with the rangefinder out (also when lowered), the walking sound instead of the crawling sound is played.

Also, is the Zafir sound considered final? It's a super awesome looking gun but the sound should be improved!

Also, is the Zafir sound considered final? It's a super awesome looking gun but the sound should be improved!

Yep, my favorite LMG, but the sound sucks.

So I log into steam and it begins updating 900mb. I was like wtf? A patch at this time? WOW. I ask around and no one has it. I check my options and apparently steam decided to opt me out of the dev build and back to stable...

I cant stop it. I cant do anything but watch it and wait. Then Fin switch it to dev then wait some more..

is this correct that the suspention of the marshall goes up when you gaining speed

and lowering teh suspention when getting slower ?

anybody can confirm this ?

is this correct that the suspention of the marshall goes up when you gaining speed

It does raise to the highest point when you move in reverse, but it compresses when you move forward.

Yes, that's accurate. Rain is being worked on at the moment. We're trying to make some improvements from the data side, given the absence of program time.

It looks like any improvements we can afford to make now will be rather modest, but I hope it'll be better than the state we first saw at the launch of the Alpha.

My analysis for a full rain overhaul scares the programmers, and its implementation is rather lower priority than other features that need some love.

Best,

RiE

Take your time with the rain and make it the best it can be!

Still looking for the new parallax ground textures..I think I can see a subtle difference in grassy and dirty moundy areas but it's kind of creepy because of the limited range around the player in which the occlusion effect is rendered, and constant motion of the character makes the ground appear as though it were breathing.

Edited by NodUnit

Also the suspense of waiting for those Unmanned vehicles is killing me!

Any hints when we might see them?

as though it were breathing.

You mean "waves"? Parallax mapping in motion. His good for smooth or flat surfaces. But in a complex surface we got this. We need some vertex shaders - displacing. But it cost alot more.

Hint. Use flashlight or other direct light(or even multiple lights) to check parallax. I'm not sure but looks like height was increased. And maps less blurry.

Can someone test this. When the night has come, and the land is dark, and the street lamp is the only light we'll see. Than use your flashlight in addition to lamp and notice the height difference in the new spot. You think it's noticeable? Or reasonable?

Edited by Anachoretes

You mean "waves"? Parallax mapping in motion. His good for smooth or flat surfaces. But in a complex surface we got this. We need some vertex shaders - displacing. But it cost alot more.

It's not so much the displacement as much as the range of displacement. You can see this especially clearly on the diving showcase if you hug the sea floor and look for the green plants painted into the ground, you have to virtually be right over it to see the effect come to life. Whereas in comparison these photos the render distance is relatively far enough that by the time it blends into the scene it doesn't appear warpy.

http://www.abload.de/img/neu-mitpomzwr5.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2010-03-2318-09-i52a.png

NodUnit

I'm not sure that is POM. I think it's approximation. Because of very small heights.

But screenshots from Cryengine2 that you show have POM.

It's not so much the displacement as much as the range of displacement. You can see this especially clearly on the diving showcase if you hug the sea floor and look for the green plants painted into the ground, you have to virtually be right over it to see the effect come to life. Whereas in comparison these photos the render distance is relatively far enough that by the time it blends into the scene it doesn't appear warpy.

http://www.abload.de/img/neu-mitpomzwr5.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2010-03-2318-09-i52a.png

I think that's because there's no "LOD" for the displacements, instead of off->approx->approx2->Full resolution displacement they just go off(flat)->on at about 1.5m away, looks quite odd.

I'd love to see larger scale normal/displacement mapping for things like tyre tracks on busy roads etc, something you can see from 10m+ away.

I think that's because there's no "LOD" for the displacements, instead of off->approx->approx2->Full resolution displacement they just go off(flat)->on at about 1.5m away, looks quite odd.

I'd love to see larger scale normal/displacement mapping for things like tyre tracks on busy roads etc, something you can see from 10m+ away.

A linear decrease instead of a sudden cutoff would be much better.

Finnish version of the AMV has a suspension adjustment system that allows the driver to raise or lower the vehicle as desired, high in the rough terrain and low on-road, don't know if other versions have some automatic systems, but raising the vehicle at higher speeds sounds stupid, dangerous even.

141 mb downloading now..... seems too small to be anything significant content-wise....

Maybe a side effect of stiffening the suspension at higher speeds and causes it to raise while doing so.

Perhaps suspension travel limitations need altered to keep the maximum height equal at all settings.

Why do I see so many complaints about AI. The AI in this game are so much better than any previous versions, yet I can't go a page or two without seeing complaints. If I just went by reading these threads I would think this game was terrible. The AI does so many things they never had before but you would never know it.

Maybe a side effect of stiffening the suspension at higher speeds and causes it to raise while doing so.

Perhaps suspension travel limitations need altered to keep the maximum height equal at all settings.

IRL AMV is rather horrible to drive on-road at higher speeds when the suspension is raised high, it's stiff sure, but wheel alignment and steering geometry is then altered in a bad way, not to forget roll center being too high to safely take corners.

I'd actually like to see a "stance adjustment" for the Marshall in game, but knowing the ultra tight deadlines and very limited manpower BIS currently has, I know I'm not gonna have it.

+1, and too much fiddling can make you go blind :)

By that i ment i do think that with all this up this down malarky we are in danger of fighting completely dumb AI and that to me isnt what we are trying to promote. I hear the spinning shooting thing in one shot as a bug, but im unhappy with the single shot ethic i sometimes hear whilst playing or see in here. Unless we are playing with Basic soldiers with short to mid range rifles, then surely we should expect to get shot once if there's snipers on the map? Its almost like we expect to be better than the AI and its not acceptable for them to own us. Alot of the faults called by others can also be to bad mission setup with regards to the values set in the AI.

Im sure we have fairly good values, but again the tweaking of them can make it hard to get a happy balance between tottally dumb and uber.

I have worked extensively in getting the convoys to work within our mission and thanks to the recent changes to the drivers and their skills, they seem to have a 90/95% success rate, which is pretty good... hats off BIS

Basically im getting at please dont end up in some kind of nerfing exercise to end up with nothing of any use.

I do think the AI get a hard time and dont always deserve it either :)

Without getting shot, take a little time and observe before you knck :)

Doesn't look like the .exe has changed today. Haven't noticed anything else in the limited testing I've done.

Noticed the animations for the laser designator dont match the binos and Rangefinder, its drawn straight to the eye and hasn't got the look over like the other two have? Is this intentional?