Personally my impression back when the displays were extended was that the OPFOR SOF decided that the right display got in the way of their cheek weld (whereas non-SOF OPFOR may have been okay with it or stuck with it) but liked the left display enough to keep that on their helmets.#1: What are you talking about?

#2: "Oh well, guess I'm a minority and have to live with it. Whatever." Joking: Welcome to the post-DayZ era. :lol: Not-so-joking: People have been saying this since 2011 about Arma 3's 2035 setting, so I'm not sympathetic...

Guess helmets are fine, Spec Ops look more tacticool with one side only.

Was talking about the always on NVG.

Guess helmets are fine, Spec Ops look more tacticool with one side only.
Coincidentally, I found a Reddit comment on the change that actually paralleled my impression of "Assassin Helmet vs. Protector (HEX) Helmet":
In reality, that helmet looks like it would be a pain in the ass to aim with. It would obstruct the cheek to stock weld. When I wore a CVC helmet in the back of my Stryker, the damn ear piece would block the stock of my weapon. So I'd have to push it back or lift up that side. It was a bit easier to aim while wearing a Peltor headset, which is made to fit under the ACH/MICH. But this one in the game, looks like a pain. And then there's the whole idea of covering the ears. Regardless if there is microphones or not. Unobstructed hearing is important during patrols and reconnaissance missions where you want to hear something as far out as possible, and figure out what you're hearing, and how many you are hearing.
Right now it seems the difference is purely aesthetic... but then again, someone on the dev team probably figured out/realized that people really care about "visual customizability" (read: "dress up") way more than they might ever admit to. :lol: Edited by Chortles

and mainly the previous one is realistic - i wonder why they trying to change good animations and not trying to fix the bugged ones

You are right. The current one is just false since there is no bolt hold open on F2000 which is the base of mk20. Why this change BI?

come on, isn't it just stupid that you dont have nvg on your helmet, and then all of a sudden it appears? ofc we care about the visual aspect, i wanna see if i didnt forget to pack nvg in the first place, if they did some animations of mounting it each time it's necessary then no one would complain, but having it appear out of thin air is stupid and ugly

They could try to hide the NVGs while in vehicles to prevent that clipping bug (like they did with weapons)

I haven't noticed this before, but digging through animations I ran into some new ones that looked like falling animations. And sure enough, now when the player falls from a larger height, but not high enough to trigger freefall, there's a small animation playing instead of it just being a stiff standing animation.

KSGW3E8l.jpg

I haven't noticed this before, but digging through animations I ran into some new ones that looked like falling animations. And sure enough, now when the player falls from a larger height, but not high enough to trigger freefall, there's a small animation playing instead of it just being a stiff standing animation.

http://i.imgur.com/KSGW3E8l.jpg

Well that is damn cool in my book!!!

a buddy also discovered, jump over smaller objects animation. So we don't have to stop, in order to get over something, and get 10 bullets in our butts meanwhile.

http://i.imgur.com/KSGW3E8l.jpg

That isn't the "from chopper to sea" drop animation?

love the falling animation - I did notice the big splash now when a character falls into the ocean from the docks (maybe old news but looked great) :)

That isn't the "from chopper to sea" drop animation?

Nope. Jump off a building ingame and you'll see, it's already working in the game. There's more of them for different stances and weapons.

Nope. Jump off a building ingame and you'll see, it's already working in the game. There's more of them for different stances and weapons.

Indeed, very nice. The final part of the animation isn't that good (yet?) but... its-something.jpg

Would it be to hard to have opfor helmet HMD go down if you have no other eye wear on and go up if you do? Opfor was one of the few things that looked right in a 2035 setting. I mean why have them at all if you are not going to use them?

Edited by Zacho

simulation fever, i guess. if the opfors would have hud active on the helmet, people would demand functional hud-elements in first-person. some kind of augmented reality or something.

it is a good compromise now. still has that future-vibe to it.

But we do, we have ammo counter, GPS that pops up on screen, waypoints markers. Simulation fever seems to being used as a crutch a lot lately.

And yeah the Mk20 is odd. I mean they can change it and all. But the fire selector is way in the back instead of under the trigger. And the reload looks really odd.

Edited by Zacho

Come on "HUD Hipsters", the new functionality of F key is actually logical, it is in design with most User Interface guidelines ("do not make controls with dofferent action depending on their state"), and is perfect. BTW, you can still keybind whatever you want to Show extended hud in the options.

But we do, we have ammo counter, GPS that pops up on screen, waypoints markers. Simulation fever seems to being used as a crutch a lot lately.

i think that is an important discussion. i would agree, that the GPS pop-up is "wrong" from a GUI perspective. it is, like the compass, an item that the player has in it's inventory, so it should show up as an item somehow. in modern vehicles with MFDs the GPS should show up on the MFDs, becuase then it is not an item, but a function of the vehicles.

Waypoints, ammo count for infantry, stance indicator etc. are gameplay aids. they are not tied to the gameworld, but are a feature of the simulation to communicate feedback that would be hard to communicate in other ways.

Re tha falling animation, has there been any news on enabling script ragdolling player for mods to use? I still see that as one of the most important additions (script initiated player ragdoll) for most mods (ACE,...). It would just open so much possibilities with any more advancded mediacal/physical system ACE and similar are probably gonna use...

I actually can't believe BIS implemented the fire selector switch - so awesome!!! Such a small detail but so nice.

Also, I noticed the 6.5mm supressed sound is more chunky and loud now and not so Hollywood pew pew ... anyone else hear this? Sadly its the exact same sound for the Katiba and MX further cementing the case that they are the same weapon in a different skin for each side.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Katiba missing fire selector switch and the Vermin appears to have two switches - the one by the thumb doesn't move...

Also has anyone noticed the increased reverb on gun shots? Sounds good although also triggers indoors.

I am fine with GPS popup and I use 2xF to show GPS and feel it simulates a unit on my wrist that I then bring up to view.I also have Rshift as GPS toggle on for vehicles.

And something I have been thinking of lately is TI for infantry.I think BI had plans for this as the opfor suits look to have some sort of kooling unit on upper back and the way the whole suit looks material wise and how it goes far up the neck.And the helmet looks to be cooled also with the tubes going in and out.A part of me hates it but a part of me says that this is how it will be in future as technology increases.What are your thoughts on this?

Katiba missing fire selector switch

It's there, you're not looking hard enough. ;)

It's there, you're not looking hard enough. ;)

LOL!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the selector switch is on the stock???

So the idea is you reach back with your L hand and flick the selector while somehow managing some semblance of weapon stability with your trigger hand? Geez that's bad design.