1 hour ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

From an earlier changelog (the one before today's):

"Tweaked: 3DEN custom compositions now get placed into their own layer (like pre-configured compositions)"

Could this be rolled back? 

I find it a bit annoying when using many small compositions that they are all in their own layer.

I find it to be easier to create a new layer for a larger composition right after placing it and still have it all selected, if needed.

Or maybe add a checkbox when creating those compositions? 

It was added because of inconsistency, the config/basegame compositions already created a layer when you place them, but the custom compositions did not.

We'll reevaluate

Edit: We'll remove it for now, and maybe add it back later with a 3DEN option to enable/disable the feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all these lovely new script commands being added, has anyone thought about going through the UI and adding commands for all the things that cannot be changed outside of the config?

I was, a while back, working on an updated GUI editor but there are so many things that cannot be changed outside of the config, so I abandoned it. It would have been ridiculous in the amount of config classes needed to account for all the different settings. Especially since the addition of ctrlCreate, it seems such a waste not to be able to script the different configurations.

Just a thought, I know its likely not an easy task.

15 minutes ago, Larrow said:

...adding commands for all the things that cannot be changed outside of the config?

I don't understand? What do you mean, please? Any example?

I'm thinking something like.. _ctrl ctrlSet ["string", value]

So like for the recent thing we added for listboxes that's currently config only, you could then

_ctrl ctrlSet ["selectWithRMB", true];

and then we just have one big enum for the control types of all their properties.

Think that could work?

I won't do it tho without FT ticket explaining whats needed in detail.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dedmen said:

Think that could work?

I won't do it tho without FT ticket explaining whats needed in detail.

Sounds good, if that can work internally. I'll try and sit down next week and go through each control type and pull out all the properties for each type that cannot currently be changed via script. Think I still have a lot of them written down in my old project.

15 hours ago, Larrow said:

Sounds good, if that can work internally. I'll try and sit down next week and go through each control type and pull out all the properties for each type that cannot currently be changed via script. Think I still have a lot of them written down in my old project.

@7erra Created a page on the biki with all properties used in all controls. Thought this might be helpful https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/User:7erra/Sandbox2

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, Larrow said:

... adding commands for all the things that cannot be changed outside of the config ...

I've long looked for a way to execute code in the moment before the lobby. Primarily to execute code to create the players units. I'm not sure why it seems to be impossible. The commands to set the min max player count or game mode type are not there for example. Suppose some that info is required for display in the server browser so we know what we are joining. But being able to script the creation of players would be really useful for me at least.

Is there, or could a, linux 64bit dev build be built? I'd like to test the fixes on my server. If there already is one, how does one install it?

On 7/19/2020 at 1:15 AM, LymeM said:

Is there, or could a, linux 64bit dev build be built? I'd like to test the fixes on my server. If there already is one, how does one install it?

Do we even have a linux dev-branch? I thought we didn't 🤔

Currently x64 is in perf/prof branch only experimental testing, so far it looks like we'll release it with next update though, if you can confirm me that we have a linux server dev branch at all I'll check that we get x64 added to that.

Edit: Okey I asked, we don't have dev-branch for Arma 3 Server at all, and as Linux is server only we don't have any Linux dev branch (Windows client dev branch also includes windows server binaries).

If you have some very special and important need, you can try catching me on a day with lots of free time (basically doesn't exist :upside:) and i can give you a build (I personally run dev-branch x64 linux for my unit anyway, but would need to make a seperate build for public which takes about 30 minutes and as I said I usually don't have the free time soooooo)

13 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Do we even have a linux dev-branch? I thought we didn't 🤔

Currently x64 is in perf/prof branch only experimental testing, so far it looks like we'll release it with next update though, if you can confirm me that we have a linux server dev branch at all I'll check that we get x64 added to that.

Edit: Okey I asked, we don't have dev-branch for Arma 3 Server at all, and as Linux is server only we don't have any Linux dev branch (Windows client dev branch also includes windows server binaries).

If you have some very special and important need, you can try catching me on a day with lots of free time (basically doesn't exist :upside:) and i can give you a build (I personally run dev-branch x64 linux for my unit anyway, but would need to make a seperate build for public which takes about 30 minutes and as I said I usually don't have the free time soooooo)

Thanks for the explanation, have you / team considered setting up a CI/CD pipeline for windows/linux? (I somewhat expect you have one for windows already).

The reason I was asking is that I've started hosting a private arma 3 server on linux (Ubuntu 64 server, latest build, Ryzen 7 2700x, 32Gib Ram, etc) and have been running into a small but significant number of issues hosting mods(combinations with missions)/mpmissions. I had enough of a challenge with some mods(combinations with missions)/mpmissions that for fun I spun up my Windows 10 VM on the same box and setup arma 3 on it. Disappointingly (from a software developer point of view), the windows 64bit build of arma 3 was happy with almost everything I threw at it. If you had a linux dev branch, I would have been happy to document the issues.

As an example: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181348198&searchtext=malden+defense does not work on the linux server either as a pbo or extracted. I think that one would crash the server when someone connected to the game. (batteye off, signature verification 0, etc, as it is a private server.)

Thanks.

10 hours ago, LymeM said:

Thanks for the explanation, have you / team considered setting up a CI/CD pipeline for windows/linux?

We have all that.

If you had a linux dev branch, I would have been happy to document the issues.

What prevents you from reporting them otherwise? we'll still fix it even if we don't publish a dev branch for it.
The closest you get to dev-branch is the performance/profiling branch, we are regularly testing stuff on there.

does not work on the linux server either as a pbo or extracted.

Did you think about the fact that pbo filenames need to be lowercase?

11 hours ago, Dedmen said:

What prevents you from reporting them otherwise? we'll still fix it even if we don't publish a dev branch for it.
The closest you get to dev-branch is the performance/profiling branch, we are regularly testing stuff on there.

Did you think about the fact that pbo filenames need to be lowercase?

It wasn't/isn't a lowercase filename issue. I'll start reporting the issues in the appropriate place.

future-compatible with non-missile equipment such as fuel tanks, pylon mounted HMG, electronics equipment,...

This is from the biki on loadouts and I know gun pods work but do fuel tanks or EW equipment work? If not possible to do this now, could we get a script command to disable turret cameras including pilotview camera that way we could at least simulate flir/targeting pods. 

On 7/21/2020 at 1:29 AM, Dedmen said:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T153093

8 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Not a Linux server specific issue, I fixed that weeks ago on dev branch.

It was introduced with 3DEN and I wanted to fix that for years.

Dedmen,

It still counts as a Linux bug until you release an updated linux server binary.

Thanks.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:01 AM, LymeM said:

Dedmen,

It still counts as a Linux bug until you release an updated linux server binary.

Thanks.

What I am saying is, its not a linux specific bug it affects windows too. And we already fixed it.

A bug is still fixed even if you can't get the fix yet.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:57 AM, Dedmen said:

What I am saying is, its not a linux specific bug it affects windows too. And we already fixed it.

A bug is still fixed even if you can't get the fix yet.

Ahh, Schrodinger's bug. It is both fixed and not fixed.

Sarcasm aside, the fix has not been released. The release schedule is 'when it is ready'?

Thanks.

• Haha 2

Arma III   2.0 

Spoiler

(because after 1.98... what else?)

• Like 2

Shrodingers bug is neither alive or dead until you observe it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Arma III   2.0 

Hide contents

(because after 1.98... what else?)

Flashpoint went to 1.99 then 1.99A, 1.99B and finally  iirc, 1.99C

• Haha 1

The linux server receives no bohemia love 😞

59 minutes ago, LymeM said:

The linux server receives no bohemia love 😞

Are you some kind of troll?

On 8/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, killzone_kid said:

Are you some kind of troll?

If by troll, you mean someone who is attempting to get Bohemia to produce and release regular development releases for linux servers like they do for windows, yes. It has been established further up that Bohemia already has the toolchain in place for building and deploying regular builds automatically.

Trust me, I do understand that they are all very busy over there. However, as the phrase goes: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

For starters Linux server is built with every change in code together with win version. Also if releasing 64-bit Linux server is not showing love towards Linux server, then I dont know what is. Hence, are you a troll?