On 6/28/2018 at 12:34 AM, dragon01 said:

My suggestion was specifically to give the destroyer (and carrier, too) some sort of "master radar" object that could be targeted by ARMs and killing which would effectively disable missile-based defenses on the ship unless datalink is available from somewhere else. Also, there's no good place to put a Spartan on the ship. There are two obvious CIWS mounts, and the one "danger" ring aft of the bridge is too large for a Spartan (looks good with a Centurion, though it's a bit big for that one, too). 

The position above the flight deck is intended for a Spartan. You can see it in this screenshot from the announcement post.

When you say it's too large for a Spartan, I think you may be underestimating missile backblast ;)

• Like 1

@nodunit

Dunno if this has been reported, but after playing around with your SAM systems yesterday I was repeatedly able to reproduce what I assume is a bug:

Place blufor Black Wasp armed with Anti-Radiation missiles in air about 3 km away from a move waypoint.

Place CSAT Radar and launcher at the move waypoint (make sure radar is facing black wasp, and there is a line of sight to the black wasp).

Spawn as civilian spectator or whatever nearby the sam site.

What happened to me:

Black wasp fires Anti Radiation missile first, but radar detects black wasp. (You can see that the launcher is preparing to fire at the black wasp).

The Anti-Radiation missile hits the radar module and destroys it. After that, the launch unit starts firing at the black wasp, firing up to its entire 4 missiles, even though the radar (datalink transmitter) is dead.

So knowing arma, targets have a "history" (seen when things move behind cover etc) that remains for a while after line of sight is lost. Does this mean that the datalinked target will remain "in history" for a while after the radar is destroyed? So that it is still available for lock by the launch unit?

It seems like if line of sight to the black wasp is lost, then after a short while the launcher looses interest in anything and returns to being harmless. It does not resume attacking the black wasp even if it comes back into line of sight.

It may be a known game limitation, but just wanted to let you know.

• Like 3

The launcher  and missile have their own narrow radar. So it can shoot at a detected target alone but doesn't spot it again when not facing it.

20 minutes ago, heavygunner said:

The launcher  and missile have their own narrow radar. So it can shoot at a detected target alone but doesn't spot it again when not facing it.

If that's the case then I suppose it checks out.

I've just never seen the launchers fire at anything by themselves, even when they are obviously tracking the target.

• Like 1

As noted, the standalone radar is a search radar, a powerful radar intended to find and identify aircraft as  targets and then skew the launcher onto them. Once given a target by the search radar, the launcher feeds this information to the missiles, the individual missiles are ARH (Active Radar Homing) they have the target data already and use their own less powerful radar to lock onto the target. The moment the target info has been relayed from the search radar, the launcher/missiles need no further information from it.

While the missiles, and sometimes the launchers have their own narrow targeting radars, they aren't constantly emitting, they are only switched on when they are actually given a target, this keeps them hidden from view of any Radar Warning Receivers and safe from ARM (Active Radiation Missiles).

• Thanks 3

Regarding the flight preparation for medium transport Helicopters a.k.a Ghosthawak for the flight deck:

The best Solution would be to have 2 stowed Ghosthawks with folded Rotors in the hangar and spawn them on the deck one after the other. Funktionality woudl be the same as the boad wreck.

RL helos are prepared for take of the way, towed onto the landing deck and prepared for flight there. It takes around 15 minutes RL.

Taxiing a helo with runnign engine out of such a hangar is a absolute no go.

• Like 2

@nodunit I just made a very simple boarding scenario, I placed Blufor troops inside of the corridors and an opfor play outside the ship in the water. He's placed directly at the ladder in the back, no visual to any enemies.

I started the mission and I instantly heared shots fired at me, seems like the Blufor troops inside are shooting from everywhere at me, even tho they can't hit me, they see me trhough the entire ship including corridor walls and outer ship walls.

I'm not sure what LOD is needed for this, I'd assume it's the ViewGeo LOD that is missing or doesn't work properly.

1 hour ago, GBee2 said:

the individual missiles are ARH (Active Radar Homing) they have the target data already and use their own less powerful radar to lock onto the target.

As far as I've been able to figure out, ARH missiles only take over from the main tracking radar in the terminal phase (unless very close, in the case of a "maddog" launch, for example). For Arma's purposes, "very close" should probably mean 1km or so.

From wikipedia:

Because the missile is totally autonomous during the terminal phase, the launch platform does not need to have its radar enabled at all during this phase...

and

Active radar homing is rarely employed as the only guidance method of a missile. It is most often used during the terminal phase of the engagement, mainly because since the radar transceiver has to be small enough to fit inside a missile and has to be powered from batteries, therefore having a relatively low ERP, its range is limited.[2] To overcome this, most such missiles use a combination of command guidance with an inertial navigation system (INS) in order to fly from the launch point until the target is close enough to be detected and tracked by the missile. The missile therefore requires guidance updates via a datalink from the launching platform up until this point, in case the target is maneuvering, otherwise the missile may get to the projected interception point and find that the target is not there. Sometimes the launching platform (especially if it is an aircraft) may be in danger while continuing to guide the missile in this way until it 'goes active'; In this case it may turn around and leave it to luck that the target ends up in the projected "acquisition basket" when the missile goes active. It is possible for a system other than the launching platform to provide guidance to the missile before it switches its radar on; This may be other, similar fighter aircraft or perhaps an AWACS.

There is only one in-line citation here so this could well be outdated or inaccurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_radar_homing

EDIT:

Actually, what I would propose is (cc: @nodunit @oukej ) -

1. Let the ARH missiles have relatively short sensor ranges (1-3km maybe, based on how advanced the missile is, and compared to the total range of the primary platform it's fired from)
  2. IIRC they already have datalink support. Let them use datalink to acquire and follow targets. This could be either from the side (e.g. any radar on BLUFOR with an uplink enabled) or just the launch vehicle (if this is even possible). Whether the datalink is from the side or vehicle could be dependent on how advanced the missile is (e.g. AMRAAM C need a feed from its vehicle, AMRAAM D can use any radar on the same side).
  3. Once the missiles have closed in to their own seeker's range, they can go autonomous. If the guiding radar feed is cut off before this point, then they should continue on the same path in LOAL mode (if their intended tech level in the game is supposed to support that, of course).

This should, IMO, be the general mechanism for missiles in Arma (whether ARH or not), but one may of course disagree. :P

@GBee2 Thanks for the reply. Where is this info "noted" ? Couldn't find anything official on it.

AFAIK, most contemporary SAM sites utilize one or multiple search/track radar and/or fire control radar that relays information to the launch units (launchers).

As you state, this is done in order to "hide" the launch units completely from Anti Radiation missiles, but some of the point is lost if the launchers themselves are equipped with radars that emit energy.

I would figure that the missile could be configured to fire in "maddog" mode, where it is launched and immediately activates it's onboard radar to chase the juiciest target in front of it.

However, based on my experience with them in ArmA, they seem to be unable to fire when the radar is either A: Missing, or B: destroyed, which corresponds to most RL systems. However, in case B, there seems to be a "grace period" where the missile can somehow launch after all. After this period, it behaves just like in case A again, just looks for the target but never fires (even if it is directly aiming at it).

Also, I forgot to mention:

There seems to be no proximity fuze on the new SAM missiles. At least the CSAT variant missed a Wipeout by <2 meters and didn't explode on several occasions (head on vs the missile).

• Like 1

- Here's a fun one: the back of the Mk45 Hammer has "WEIGHT CLEARENCE" labels on it. "Clearence" should, of course, be spelled "clearance" :P

- When a RHIB is loaded into the Boat Rack, it floats above it. Other boat types are fine.

- The only vehicles that can't be loaded into the Boat Rack are aircraft. While this is hilarious and probably not worth fixing, some of them don't align properly - for example the Rhino MGS is too far back.

- The default displayed hull number on the Liberty is 001. However, in the attributes options the fields all default to 0, and the third number can't actually be set to 0 unless you change it to something else first.

Also, it would be nice if all the flags available as map markers were available for the Liberty flag. This would also make them available for other flag-related textures, which would be fantastic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinkie1997 said:

@NikkoJT it think you can create your own textures for flags

You can, but matching the fabric texture to the existing ones is a pain, and then you have to include the texture in the mission file. Plus, it'd just be generally neat to have the list of flag markers and the list of flag textures match up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NikkoJT said:

You can, but matching the fabric texture to the existing ones is a pain, and then you have to include the texture in the mission file. Plus, it'd just be generally neat to have the list of flag markers and the list of flag textures match up.

use the rvmat in gimp

7 hours ago, KokaKolaA3 said:

@nodunit I just made a very simple boarding scenario, I placed Blufor troops inside of the corridors and an opfor play outside the ship in the water. He's placed directly at the ladder in the back, no visual to any enemies.

I started the mission and I instantly heared shots fired at me, seems like the Blufor troops inside are shooting from everywhere at me, even tho they can't hit me, they see me trhough the entire ship including corridor walls and outer ship walls.

I'm not sure what LOD is needed for this, I'd assume it's the ViewGeo LOD that is missing or doesn't work properly.

I will take a look at the view geo's.

5 hours ago, Pinkie1997 said:

@nodunit, have you seen my testing results from yesterday?

I believe so, the one where you mention only the VLS appears to have this issue and not the SAMS or MLRS? If so then yes and thank you for your patience and willingness to help us isolate this,  I've taken note of this and will pass it along.

3 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

@GBee2

There seems to be no proximity fuze on the new SAM missiles. At least the CSAT variant missed a Wipeout by <2 meters and didn't explode on several occasions (head on vs the missile).

There is a proxy fuse but please keep in mind that sensors + weaponry is WIP as Oukej stated.

3 hours ago, D_Donskoy said:

To BI and B01, can we get NAVY skin to helicopters?

Not likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any idea why no weapons spawn on the USS Freedom or Destroyers no VLS or CWIS or Cannon on any of the ships?

3 minutes ago, sargken said:

Any idea why no weapons spawn on the USS Freedom or Destroyers no VLS or CWIS or Cannon on any of the ships?

Go to Eden editor NATO > Turrets and then you manually place them on ship object. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, M. Glade said:

Go to Eden editor NATO > Turrets and then you manually place them on ship object. 

Wondering about intended layout for those weapon systems, looks like the positions of hammer and VLS are clear, maybe the spartan too, that leaves 2 slots for the praetorian I assume?

In front of the hammer there's also some markings, any idea what could possibly go in front of the cannon, if anything at all?

https://imgur.com/y2M10km

Any ideas/suggestions or other unmarked weapon placement spots I missed?

Cheers

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NikkoJT said:

Also, it would be nice if all the flags available as map markers were available for the Liberty flag. This would also make them available for other flag-related textures, which would be fantastic.

Here you go:

here are the available Country flag textures from the markers section in vanilla arma (in the Editor F6 - flags). You can use these

-with the USS Liberty by copying this path to the custom flag texture field in attributes

or with

this force flagtexture "copyfrombelow"

to Units, flagpoles or most vehicles

(note that CUP and other mods add additional flag  textures):

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\belgium_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\canada_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\croatia_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\csat_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\ctrg_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\czechrepublic_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\denmark_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\eu_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\france_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\tanoagendarmerie_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\georgia_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\germany_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\greece_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\hungary_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\iceland_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\idapca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\italy_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\luxembourg_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\nato_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\netherlands_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\norway_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\poland_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\portugal_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\slovakia_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\slovenia_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\spain_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\syndikat_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\tanoa_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\uk_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\un_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\usa_ca.paa

a3\Ui_f\data\Map\Markers\Flags\viper_ca.paa

as the Resolution is not very good you should use flag textures whenever possible

a3\data_f\flags\flag_us_co.paa

a3\data_f\flags\flag_uk_co.paa

or similar

nato

uno

altis

altiscolonial

aaf

etc. 

the following custom ship names can be selected at the moment

a3\boat_f_destroyer\destroyer_01\data\destroyer_01_tag_01_co.paa

liberty 

a3\boat_f_destroyer\destroyer_01\data\destroyer_01_tag_02_co.paa

virtuous e.g. for british ships

constitution

Valor e.g. for british ships

glory e.g. for british ships

democracy e.g. for Greek ship 

micdonals

you can also use flag or other textures instead of names. It would be great to use sign textures like the City names.

Have Fun

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

@GBee2 Thanks for the reply. Where is this info "noted" ? Couldn't find anything official on it.

No, I confess that it's largely based on a simplification my understanding from various sources of how the real life systems work (e.g. Patriot PAC-3*), especially at the relatively short ranges seen in Arma and the various accounts of observed behaviour with the in-game system fitting this understanding. 

Note that sources seem to disagree whether the PAC-3 engages it's radar just after launching or only in terminal phase ... however, this may be more or less the exact same thing for the PAC-3 in reality since it reaches Mach 5 in just 3 seconds (1.7Km/s), meaning at ranges of 16Km, it's going to reach the target in less than 15 seconds. Even at the real life engagement max range of 64km, that's one minute to target - battery life on the seeker isn't going to be a huge concern. There don't seem to be any public stats on the Boeing seeker's range/battery life, perhaps understandably as this is still a current generation defense system.

57 minutes ago, wolf359 said:

Here you go:

here are the available Country flag textures from the markers section in vanilla arma (in the Editor F6 - flags). You can use these

-with the USS Liberty by copying this path to the custom flag texture field in attributes

or with

this force flagtexture "copyfrombelow"

to Units, flagpoles or most vehicles

(note that CUP and other mods add additional flag  textures):

I'm well aware of how to use the flag and name fields in the Liberty attributes. It's what prompted the question to begin with.

I actually tried using the marker textures directly, but when I applied them using the attributes flag field, they resulted in a completely invisible flag. If you've tried it and it worked for you, I guess I'll try again later, but them not working was why I was asking for them to be made available in the first place.

They also don't have the flag ripple and cloth effects.

(Generally, I initially said "it would be nice if these flags were also available as standard flag textures", not "I have literally no idea how a custom texture selection works".)

Edit:

Valor e.g. for british ships

It's spelled "valour" in British English, so...unlikely.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Wondering about intended layout for those weapon systems, looks like the positions of hammer and VLS are clear, maybe the spartan too, that leaves 2 slots for the praetorian I assume?

In front of the hammer there's also some markings, any idea what could possibly go in front of the cannon, if anything at all?

Cheers

That layout is correct based on the screenshots posted in the announcement post. The purpose of the square forward of the Mk45 isn't totally clear - there's some speculation that it's an elevator for taking on supplies. Personally I've found it fits an MH-9 suspiciously well, but that's just a suspicion. It's definitely not a weapon position, though.

• Like 1

A feature request for the Eden editor relating to the SAM and Radar systems, maybe for a follow up update - Please can we get an overlay cone in the editor map (and Zeus?) when placing the radar and static AA weapon systems showing their range and coverage? This will make it much easier to place systems ensuring they provide coverage of the required map zones?

Also, will the SAM/radar units come with camouflage options like those added with the Tanks DLC?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Cheers

I think thats the correct format according to the photo, I'm not sure if that forward painted box is intended to store turrets. @nodunit Should know, I think.