1 hour ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

I tested this repro mission and found only the Black Wasp II, Shirka and Gryphon crashed into the terrain.

The ground attack aircraft (Wipeout/Neophron/Buzzard) did not.

I can only presume this is related to relative aircraft speed as the air sup jets would be traveling faster on average.  It could possibly also be something to do with their cannons being mainly for A-A use.

• Like 1

I never got good results with strafing using those cannons. IRL, they use SAPHEI (Semi-Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary) rounds for AA uses, which can be effective against ground targets (softskins and exposed infantry, mostly), but in ArmA, they get AP rounds which are only good on direct hit. They may be able to damage light armor, but considering the speeds at which the DLC jets move, the guns' spread and their low ammo capacity, getting a good number of direct hits in is very difficult.

On 2018/3/17 at 1:41 AM, Strike_NOR said:

Well... rumor has it that the Titan will be balanced either by new damage mechanics or general damage tweaks.

On 2018/3/17 at 6:51 AM, Imperator[TFD] said:

Top down attack isn't going to be some god almighty powerful ability.

Let's wait and see how new weapon balancing works...

Right now I care more about MAAWS Mod 1 scope — again, I have to say its reticle is not that ergonomic IMO. Even changing its " ^ " to simple rangefinding " — " will make it better when engaging targets in-between 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 meters.

— Or maybe I just need to get more accustomed to SVD... maybe...

855px-Reticles_vector.svg.png

23 hours ago, R3vo said:

Additionally, would any dev comment on why for tanks by default the MG is selected instead of the main cannon?  Interestingly that's not the case for the Rhino!

Are you testing with empty vehicles that haven't been touched by any AI crews? AI gunner will usually switch the operating weapon to machine gun.

23 minutes ago, Markle said:

Are you testing with empty vehicles that haven't been touched by any AI crews? AI gunner will usually switch the operating weapon to machine gun.

Interesting, you are right. AI seems to instantly change to MG.

4 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

I tested this repro mission and found only the Black Wasp II, Shirka and Gryphon crashed into the terrain.

The ground attack aircraft (Wipeout/Neophron/Buzzard) did not.

I can only presume this is related to relative aircraft speed as the air sup jets would be traveling faster on average.  It could possibly also be something to do with their cannons being mainly for A-A use.

shall i find similar place (hill) with trees on it? The CAS birds didnt crash but they came close that I'd say they using the same AI routine.

6E8628A0C1B348FAF812E7B684C11D36CCF95289

A5B57BBA1B9A2156BA9AD8A19FBB6E1E1782A7CE

when their approach is putting them below the target, I'd say thats a problem.

I can only imagine they are using the targets position at sea level as reference

5fnI36M.png

then again even with a sea-level target they are just diving straight down until they hit their terrain-avoidance routine

8A7B4D72737FA32F176BB7F5A33EC26DEB6BB396

these are not the behaviors of jets, more like helicopter strafe

at the beginning there is an altitude climb so they are aware of what they are about to do (gain altitude for the attack path), but its just very low and shallow. With luck it is just tweaking a few numbers. climb to 500 and and fire on target until 300 then pull up

@oukej are there any configs i can tweak with regard to this stuff?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Markle said:

Right now I care more about MAAWS Mod 1 scope — again, I have to say its reticle is not that ergonomic IMO. Even changing its " ^ " to simple rangefinding " — " will make it better when engaging targets in-between 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 meters.

Yeah I brought this up a week or two ago as well - hitting in-between targets was mostly guesswork. Not so in Mod 0, which is pretty nice to use.

20 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

Yeah I brought this up a week or two ago as well - hitting in-between targets was mostly guesswork. Not so in Mod 0, which is pretty nice to use.

I wonder if that scope has any actual real-world reference — or if BI has consistent design guidelines... That Mod 1 scope is probably differed from all others in game...

Added: Tanks DLC Music 

I can't test any soundtracks...:down:

Fixed: Invisible fire modes on Blackfish 105mm cannon

Thank......... Tanks!

Added: Tanks DLC music tracks

Great joke. Ha ha.

Just. Who stole these added music tracks from DLC Tanks. I do not have them. I wonder what else has gone missing. If they do not find themselves in the next 24 hours. I will be forced to call for help from this man.

Spoiler

• Like 2

Well so far I liked both showcase and mini campaign. But what found is, that AMV marshall tends to kill of crew of T-140 easily, front armor speaking. I am more afraid of marhsall then tanks. We don't know for sure how tick frontal armor of T-14(0) is but, if 40mm can kill of crew easily then it's a generaly a bad tank. Of course that T-140 must not be OP, but at least it should be OP frontal armor against 40mm armor piercing rounds.

I love the new tweaks to vehicles' weaponry and ammunition. A few suggestions however, and some things I noticed:

The Cheetah / Tigris should have a maximum of 500 rounds.

The Kuma should carry a maximum of 42 rounds.

The AT Nyx has less MG ammo than the AA Nyx.

The Slammer UP still has a slightly smaller cannon than the default Slammer.

Also, do (most) tanks actually carry several 200 round belts instead of one big belt for the coaxial MG? If so, the Angara still has 1000 round belts.

Lastly, authentically the Marshall should have a 30 mm while the Mora has a 40 mm.

53 minutes ago, Night515 said:

I love the new tweaks to vehicles' weaponry and ammunition. A few suggestions however, and some things I noticed:

The Cheetah / Tigris should have a maximum of 500 rounds.

The Kuma should carry a maximum of 42 rounds.

The AT Nyx has less MG ammo than the AA Nyx.

The Slammer UP still has a slightly smaller cannon than the default Slammer.

Also, do (most) tanks actually carry several 200 round belts instead of one big belt for the coaxial MG? If so, the Angara still has 1000 round belts.

Lastly, authentically the Marshall should have a 30 mm while the Mora has a 40 mm.

The T-140 features a remote, unmanned turret. Noone can change the boxes in there.

The 40mm in the Marshal is a good compromise considering that no NATO IFV has any AT Missile capability.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Beagle said:

The T-140 features a remote, unmanned turret. Noone can change the boxes in there.

Yeah, forgot about that haha.

3 minutes ago, Beagle said:

The 40mm in the Marshal is a good compromise considering that no NATO IFV has any AT Missile capability.

I suppose so. Hopefully we'll get a Panther with an RCWS-30 post-Tanks DLC release... :(

• Tweaked: Balancing of armor and penetration across multiple vehicles 
  • Tweaked: Armor in config files and fire geometries as well as hit points in the models

This is still an issue: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127889

The Hunter is able to withstand 7.62 mm caliber and protect the crew, but the Ifrit and Strider especially are like paper against it.

3 hours ago, Night515 said:

I suppose so. Hopefully we'll get a Panther with an RCWS-30 post-Tanks DLC release... :(

This would be great, and I wouldn't think it would be much work for BI... but I wouldn't think a Green Skinn for MRAPs an HEMMTs would be too much work either, yet we seem to be missing them. So I'm a bit disappointed. I like what we got, but I still wanted more.

They gave us entirely new models and skins, but skipped over easy changes like this that would have added a lot to the game.

As far as the 30 vs 40. The Mora should be a 40 as well, since it has no ATGMs. I don't see a problem with a fictional AMV derivative in 2035 using a 40mm cannon using cased telescopic ammunition to fit it in the same turret.

On 18.3.2018 at 2:51 PM, fn_Quiksilver said:

*lots of correct statements by Quiksilver*....

at the beginning there is an altitude climb so they are aware of what they are about to do (gain altitude for the attack path), but its just very low and shallow. With luck it is just tweaking a few numbers. climb to 500 and and fire on target until 300 then pull up

@oukej are there any configs i can tweak with regard to this stuff?

+1 @oukej : The routines and attack patterns of AIs steering planes are non-sense since they do not consider safe distance, they rather try to get as close as possible to the target. Same for tanks.

Will we see finally reworked attack patterns/routines for all vehicles? The do not match at all with high-tech distance weaponary.

• Like 2

I am wondering if the new CSAT launcher is firing guided or unguided missiles? 

1 hour ago, The Man Without Qualities said:

they rather try to get as close as possible to the target. Same for tanks.

yeah i noticed this on stable branch a while ago. still the same in dev?

BTW the video in your signature is over a month old, do tanks still behave like that on dev branch?

19 minutes ago, Bobrus said:

I am wondering if the new CSAT launcher is firing guided or unguided missiles? 

it's manual guidance, not fire and forget.

7 hours ago, Night515 said:

But why? I don't know if the game needs even more autocannons... :p

• Like 2

AI can't provide support from Blackfish...?

Place an AI Armed Blackfish along to a town with OPFOR vehicles/units and place a LOITER waypoint, and it can't kill anybody even skills are maximized.

Mission (Development Branch needed)

What do you think with this?

• Like 1

To be honest, I was never able to make the Blackfish engage a ground target without looking stupid while doing so.

38 minutes ago, lexx said:

To be honest, I was never able to make the Blackfish engage a ground target without looking stupid while doing so.

Basically every AI aircraft dives head into their targets as close as 50m(!), no matter if they have CCRP systems or tv guided bombs or their weapons aren't even on the front of the aircraft.

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

You can get them to engage with a loiter waypoint, 1000m altitude and 1500m radius seems to work well. They only use the 40mm, though; they don't seem to be able to use the 105 or the gattling. I've gotten them to destroy trucks and kill infantry, though they don't seem able to spot infantry from the air without assistance.

Is it just me or have tanks become weaker in general? I mean with all the new AT weapons and their top down attack modes it seems like tanks are in desperate need of countermeasures. I understand that the smoke launcher are there for that but they work like 1 out of 9 times for me and there are only 2 rounds available. Seems silly.

5 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Is it just me or have tanks become weaker in general? I mean with all the new AT weapons and their top down attack modes it seems like tanks are in desperate need of countermeasures. I understand that the smoke launcher are there for that but they work like 1 out of 9 times for me and there are only 2 rounds available. Seems silly.

Well, you're one of the few people that seems to think this way, other people are complaining about tanks being rolling bunkers... so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do have to point out that while I agree with tanks being quite squishy on stable, the new damage modelling and the warning sensors will most definitely help the MBTs significantly.

It's a shame we likely won't see APS', apart from missile warning, implemented.