For anyone that has managed to get in game and test out these vehicle variants.  Does the NYX AA variant with SAAMI missiles have Active Radar or only Passive?  Or are the SAAMI missiles IR seekers?
I noticed that the Recon variant has active radar.  Does this vehicle need to be used to pass targeting data on to the AA variants?

I checked Szepy's post history. All he's done is whine about what BIS has not done instead of recognizing even for a moment that over the past several months they have introduced:

-A completely redesigned fire control system with realistic rangefinders and proper movement compensation, as opposed to the previous target-based system that required no skill

-Completely new tracked vehicles handling, they now handle like actual vehicles and require actual skill and training to use properly

-Massive improvements to AT missile flight dynamics

-Substantial improvements to the vehicle damage model

-An official, performance-inexpensive way to do reactive armor

-Interiors for every single armored fighting vehicle, and very high quality ones at that

-Some new antitank launchers filling some gaps in representation (Good ol' Carl has returned :D)

-New flavor components such as camouflage, pioneer tools, etc for all existing AFVs

-New variants of existing vehicles to further fill some gaps, including tank destroyer versions of the Jeeps and the Pickup and a missile launcher version of the Zamak

AND WE'RE GETTING ALL OF THAT SHIT FOR FREE

And we're also getting a new showcase and a mini-campaign this DLC that is also in the premium bundle

*Stands on soapbox*

When Arma 3 launched, we didn't have weapon resting, fire from vehicles, sling loading, vehicle-in-vehicle transport, advanced heli flight model, the current radar and sensor system, targeting pods, extended damage models for helis, jets, and now tanks, VTOLs, true-to-life submunitions with UXO, the carrier, Malden, Tanoa, or any fixed wing aircraft except the Buzzard and Greyhawk

More significantly, we didn't have Zeus, Eden, decent tutorials, virtual arsenal, the perfect flat, 1.0 bar, windless scientists' heaven that is the VR terrain, or even a fucking campaign. And they only released the campaign in bits! All of that was added after Arma 3's release. And all of what I just listed, except the Apex related stuff was 100% free for all owners of Arma 3.

It's easy to focus on the relatively light premium content and forget all of the platform updates around it. When we started Arma 3, it was little more than a reskin of Arma 2 with prettier visuals and some modest UI and playability improvements. Anybody who wants to talk shit about BIS best remember all of the things they have given us for paying them the price of one video game without charging $0.01 more, and you BETTER remember how far we've come since Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, because you forget where we came from.

You also forget that BIS, while it may be bigger and made of different people since the olden times of 2001, has not gone down the easy road of half-baked overpriced premium poo. This is not some free to play pay to win bullshit game, this is motherfucking Arma, and I for one am sick and tired of hearing little shits whine and bitch about a totally unique game with some of the most dedicated developers in the industry, who have made it their life's goal to find the perfect balance between realism, authenticity, and good gameplay. No, they are not perfect, you're nuts if you genuinely believe anyone is, but they are a shining fucking beacon of light in a gaming industry overtaken by microtransactions, trends, bandwagons, and hype based marketing. BIS actually tries to build a good game, and I for one think they've done a damn fine job of it. Sure, Tanks is a bit thin on the ground in terms of premium content this time (though to be fair all of the other DLCs Apex excluded were about the same), but there is a lot more that goes into this stuff than the premium shit you can buy. They've put, what, ten years of development into this game? The LEAST we can do is pitch in our money to support all of their effort into making Arma what it is. 

Besides, there's a legitimate argument against adding Active Protection Systems to the sandbox, as it would widen an already massive power gap between Tanks and everything else, and it doesn't really create engaging gameplay.

No APS: We were under attack by a tank. I took my Titan missile launcher, and destroyed the tank, saving our bacon

APS: We were under attack by a tank. I took my Titan missile launcher, and it ate all four of my missiles. I called in air support, it ate all of its missiles. I called in a friendly tank. It ate all of its AP ammo and destroyed it. We failed the mission not because of a lack of effort or skill on our part, but because of f***ing APS

Realism for good gameplay's sake, not realism for realism's sake :grinning:

That soapbox rant is going in my sig, just in case anyone else wants to conveniently forget.

@ski2060 Nope, it's IR. No need for radar, think Humvee Avenger. A three or four vic platoon with a recon variant for spotting would undoubtedly be more effective, though

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Hvymtal said:

@ski2060 Nope, it's IR. No need for radar, think Humvee Avenger. A three or four vic platoon with a recon variant for spotting would undoubtedly be more effective, though

NOooooooooo..... I was sooo hoping for an Active radar mobile SAM vehicle for Vanilla.  Who do we have to sacrifice to this late in the game to ask for an Active Radar variant with Radar Directed SAMs.  Or even just HARMs for directing against Radiating aircraft.

Alternate ammo/radar config mod in 3....2....1....

• Haha 1

Hey, we do have the Centurion, and honestly it's more relevant to the kind of active radar AA most militaries use. The SAM infrastructure of Arma 3 vanilla isn't really evolved enough to warrant anti-radiation missiles anyhow :/

Haven't tested it yet.

All I can say so far is this:

I like the design of the new MBT.

The rhino looks quite old IMHO - like armored vehicle of the 60s.

I really fins the Nyx ugly.

Still, this is just about the design.

Also, as some of you already said, I somehow expected 1 more MBT - maybe something base on the AMX Leclerc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hvymtal said:

Hey, we do have the Centurion, and honestly it's more relevant to the kind of active radar AA most militaries use. The SAM infrastructure of Arma 3 vanilla isn't really evolved enough to warrant anti-radiation missiles anyhow :/

Well, I play in a unit that uses a LOT of mods.  I've just been wishing for an Active Radar SAM system other than the Carrier based stuff as the launchers are rather large.

Custom mini-mod it is!

2 minutes ago, ski2060 said:

Custom mini-mod it is!

firewill has recently introduced active homing air-to-air missiles in his air weapon system mod. Maybe he can give you a rundown of how he did it

There's also HCpookie's SAM pack, which interfaces excellently with Firewill's aircraft. 

It is glorious, but the long range stuff is really only suitable for enormous jets terrains

Workshop, PW6, and manual download from onedrive or Armaholic

@runy888 ? Active radar homing AAMs have been present since at least Arma 2, probably earlier. It's the only way radar-guided missiles seem to work properly currently (though I haven't tried breaking lock with Firewill's AIM-7) I think he was referring to surface to air missiles

4 minutes ago, runy888 said:

firewill has recently introduced active homing air-to-air missiles in his air weapon system mod. Maybe he can give you a rundown of how he did it

We use Firewill's AWS and several airframes so I am familiar with what he's been doing regarding HARM and SARH missiles.
The standard Sensors defined with JETS DLC can do what I want to do right now.  It will just take someone making the config mod for the Nyx to make it reality.
You can add active radar to any vehicle, you just have to define a location, range, and cone for it. 
Missile ammo can have defined sensor heads also, so it just takes making a config for Active Radar missiles and swapping them out for the IR missiles.
I'm just not terribly well versed in actually doing the code for it.

@Hvymtal   Oh yeah, I know all about Pooks.  My unit won't use it because of package size issues though.  Too much other stuff.  A custom, small config mod should do the trick for me with the Nyx.

Hope it works out for ya bud. I'd recommend holding off on the config until April 11, though. On dev branch, EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :tounge_o:

• Like 1

Yes...  hoping a Dev sees this and is like BAM! Radar Sensors!

1 hour ago, Hvymtal said:

Oh yeah, can we celebrate that NATO FINALLY has an unguided launcher similar in purpose to the RPG-42? I mean holy moly it's only been 5 years XD

I'm very pleased about this. I hate not having an unguided launcher, since PCML and Titan are virtually useless at closer ranges, e.g. in urban fighting.

I had hoped that maybe FIA or Syndikat would get an old T62 or something, but as others have said, you can't sniff at the existing content for the price of the DLC.

(still BIS, please please give us that static SPG-9 :p)

• Like 1

You can have the static SPG when I get my Judge Dredd helmet!

2 hours ago, Hvymtal said:

I'm sorry, I was talking about the actual model itself, not the actual graphical user interface

This is more what I'm proposing

Reveal hidden contents

From this

0C718EB68A66B421718A0935A02FD2A79223F182

To this

40kMkSA.jpg

Besides, this could help pad the content list a bit and make the DLC an easier sell. Plus, you'll look like fucking Judge Dredd. Nothing wrong with that

So cute, lil boy here wants a cuddle :eyeheart:

YJ4kL1s.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hvymtal said:

*Epic beacon of Holy Grail BI White Knight Wall of Text

:don14:

Hey man I appreciate your passion. Im a general disgruntled rabble rouser but also appreciate all the many things you've listed that BI HAVE delivered over the years.

• Like 1

Glad at least some of us are on the same page. People forget how #blessed we are that we have good companies like BIS who will support their games with free updates for years instead of focusing on sequel sequel sequel; and they start to assume that everyone and everything is scummy microtransaction hype train vulture capitalism, and it really gets on my nerves. Not that anyone could tell :rofl:

You don't have to be satisfied with the world, but at least recognize that it's not completely gone to s*** yet

EDIT: Whoever reported the T-140's smoke launchers, I made a ticket

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127871

EDIT 2: I just realized, I haven't actually provided any real feedback, I've just had a white knight soapbox rant and requested a Judge Dredd crew helmet..

From this

To this

40kMkSA.jpg

(Cmon BIS, it's too good to pass up...)

So, here's some real feedback

T-140 Angara: Excellent work, very faithful recreation of stronk Russian tenk. A bit obvious, but a nice divergent design. I do question the wisdom of creating something that may effectively replace an already existing asset and the possibility that this sets a precedent, btu fair enough it is the tanks dlc. A little bit hard to control at higher speeds, though this can be interpreted as a bug or a feature both ways depending on how you guys wanted to balance it

AWC Nyx: Very out-of-the-box choice, I like it! Not only adds a couple of new vehicle types to fill out the gaps in the AAF Roster, but also gives armored reconnaissance some real love! I like the fact that it is almost suicidally nimble, though perhaps you guys did go a bit over the top with the handling config; the skill floor for this little guy seems to be pretty high.

Rhino MGS: Another sort of out-of-the-box choice. I do like the different track of thinking; you didn't just go for a 1:1 renamed reproduction of a Challenger, Abrams, etc but instead you tried something different. I'm not as enamored with it as I am with the Nyx or Angara, though that probably has more to do with its mobility than anything else. I ran a lap around the Stratis test track and from Marina to Kamino. Short version: it needs more power or it will not be competitive whatsoever. I'd recommend placing it slower than the AMV but not so much that it will fall behind in hilly terrain. Right now it will barely do 15 up a hill the AMV has no trouble doing 25, and it nearly failed the steep crest at the Stratis test track. There also seems to be issues with rocks; it gets halted up against fairly modest obstacles that an AMV would have no problem gliding over, and I'm not referring to the low ground clearance. It could also use a slightly deeper wheel well cut or rear wheel steering as its turning circle is atrocious; at least 2-3m farther than every other wheeled vehicle. Times here, along with some other vehicles for reference

• Thanks 1

Really digging what this update brings, however one major issue in my books, something so easily fixed.... There is no Tanoan skins for the Hunter and the HEMTT...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dragon01 said:

As for the vehicles, I like them. T-140 could use a tube-launched missile

My_Angara addMagazine "4Rnd_125mm_cannon_missiles"

2 hours ago, ski2060 said:

I've just been wishing for an Active Radar SAM system other than the Carrier based stuff as the launchers are rather large.

My_Cheetah_or_Tigris addMagazine "4Rnd_GAA_missiles" (This is a legacy 4x Zephyr magazine. For backwards compat. It doesn't look like it should fit the msl container...but it's there and can be used :))

haf fun

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

not to ruin the hype train, but did anyone else notice that today's update broke body armor? It does nothing to protect you right now.

• Like 2

I think body armor has been broken for several builds

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127872

As for you oukej, I demand an answer as to where my judge dredd helmet is! :tounge_o: (JK it's not a big deal, though it does get on my nerves whenever I see the NATO crewman helmet since it's a "can't unsee" thing for me)

From this

To this

40kMkSA.jpg

I really like the new tanks (especially the T-14), the new AT weapons and the new vehicle variants.

Is this one new as well? I hav never noticed him before:

eIYczsk.png

• Like 4

Yeah he showed up today, wasn't mentioned in the sitrep or the changelog. Only appears for AAF in eden, though with an init line it could be repurposed for CSAT easily. As far as I can tell, it's functionally identical to the M5 Sandstorm

EDIT: Hey, here's another simple headgear idea: Black beret with headset. Stylish yet still looks the part!

15 minutes ago, blackpixxel said:

I really like the new tanks (especially the T-14), the new AT weapons and the new vehicle variants.

Is this one new as well? I hav never noticed him before:

Not going to lie, that looks pretty fuckin hot.