OK, since the helos are being looked at, I'd like to bring one issue to attention: Blackfoot's gun. Blackfish shares most of the issues with it, BTW. 

1. Accuracy. The real M197 cannon's range is about four kilometers. Here, on the other hand, at one kilometer it's next to impossible to reliably hit a truck-sized target with it. From a burst, only a handful of rounds will be on target, the rest will be just about everywhere around it. Infantry is completely impossible to hit reliably. Since one kilometer is about the range the gun would be typically fired at, it should be reasonably effective from that distance, but excessive dispersion prevents that.
2. Firepower. The real thing uses the same rounds as the Vulcan, which has no trouble taking down MRAPs. Blackfoot takes a better part of the magazine to blow up a Zamak, and Tempest appears to be completely immune except from the wheels. OK, those are HE rounds (nevermind that real helos usually use a mix), but still. Perhaps it would be rectified if they could hit reliably, though.

3. Sounds. I understand that ArmA has limitations, but the sound of the gun on Blackfoot (Blackfish is somewhat better about it) not only doesn't sound like a gatling, but rate of fire is low enough that it's ridiculously fake. The number of rounds that it shoots, compared to the number you hear, is massively off. That said, in-game ROF is about 1200rpm (similar, even a bit higher, than the M197), so just giving it one "gunshot" per shot should make it sound more or less right.

On 02.03.2018 at 2:39 PM, Imperator[TFD] said:

On another note, I'm on dev currently and was just shooting things randomly in the VA when I noticed that ballistic vests currently offer 0 protection. 

And still not fixed :evil:

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

OK, since the helos are being looked at, I'd like to bring one issue to attention: Blackfoot's gun. Blackfish shares most of the issues with it, BTW. 

1. Accuracy. The real M197 cannon's range is about four kilometers. Here, on the other hand, at one kilometer it's next to impossible to reliably hit a truck-sized target with it. From a burst, only a handful of rounds will be on target, the rest will be just about everywhere around it. Infantry is completely impossible to hit reliably. Since one kilometer is about the range the gun would be typically fired at, it should be reasonably effective from that distance, but excessive dispersion prevents that.
2. Firepower. The real thing uses the same rounds as the Vulcan, which has no trouble taking down MRAPs. Blackfoot takes a better part of the magazine to blow up a Zamak, and Tempest appears to be completely immune except from the wheels. OK, those are HE rounds (nevermind that real helos usually use a mix), but still. Perhaps it would be rectified if they could hit reliably, though.

3. Sounds. I understand that ArmA has limitations, but the sound of the gun on Blackfoot (Blackfish is somewhat better about it) not only doesn't sound like a gatling, but rate of fire is low enough that it's ridiculously fake. The number of rounds that it shoots, compared to the number you hear, is massively off. That said, in-game ROF is about 1200rpm (similar, even a bit higher, than the M197), so just giving it one "gunshot" per shot should make it sound more or less right.

Yeah I thought the accuracy was off as well, turns it, it's actually true to real life, found some documents and sites saying 8 mils off accuracy is what you can expect from M61 and M197 cannons... Was quite surprised
The damage I think should indeed be increased as it's near useless currently, not to the point of 30mm GAU8, but still higher.

I think a big issue that aggrevates the situation is some helis and jets take a LOT of ammo to kill, especially with recent accuracy changes (pretty much all of which are accurate to my surprise).

Interesting. It seems that it's indeed realistic, but the M61s currently in the game seem to lack a realistic ROF, though it'd be hard to achieve in the engine. It seems Blackfoot's performance in that regard is surprisingly close to reality, though.

That said, I just found some info on the damage. It turns out 20mm HEI rounds used on the Vulcan have a two meter lethal radius, and "fragmentation hazard" up to twenty. If the vanilla 20mm cannons did that, I'd have no complaints about accuracy... In fact, a Blackfish or Blackfoot could simply carpet an area with 20mm rounds from one kilometer off and have a reasonable expectation that everyone within that area not in some serious cover or behind armor is going down.

• Like 2

whats this new “disablemapindicators” command?

Pretty neat

disableMapIndicators [bool disableFriendly, bool disableEnemy, bool disableMines, bool disablePing];

Need a getter too :)

• Like 1

Small thing: Debris of destructed fruits (Orange, Pumpkin) don't have correct hit material but dirt.

EDIT: Also, they are too tough against explosions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, POLPOX said:

Small thing: Debris of destructed fruits don't have correct hit material but dirt.

Juicy bug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, dragon01 said:

Interesting. It seems that it's indeed realistic, but the M61s currently in the game seem to lack a realistic ROF, though it'd be hard to achieve in the engine. It seems Blackfoot's performance in that regard is surprisingly close to reality, though.

That said, I just found some info on the damage. It turns out 20mm HEI rounds used on the Vulcan have a two meter lethal radius, and "fragmentation hazard" up to twenty. If the vanilla 20mm cannons did that, I'd have no complaints about accuracy... In fact, a Blackfish or Blackfoot could simply carpet an area with 20mm rounds from one kilometer off and have a reasonable expectation that everyone within that area not in some serious cover or behind armor is going down.

Iirc There was a time on Dec branch in last few months that the team discussed the dispersion being too unrealistically accurate for rockets and perhaps guns on the helos. 

Definitely agree the damage is wayy wayy off. I have witnessed in game veteran accuracy shots dropping pretty much all over enemy and them walking away from it. Like the rounds have been ridiculously nerfed. Would be nice to see a proper real world tweak here.

On 2018/1/4 at 10:28 PM, POLPOX said:

Does anybody notice the incorrect blur on Simple Object of Blackfish?

https://imgur.com/a/jccde

Any news about this?

We can hide the blur with this hideSelection ["rotors_blur",true] anyways.

• Like 1

Somewhat off topic:

Not complaining or anything, but I've always wondered: why are some seemingly small updates still a few hundred MBs? Does it really take quite a bit of reworking to do it? If so, thanks for the hard work for even the small things.

DLC files are encrypted, which means that even a small change to a DLC file will end up changing the entire file. That means that every time they touch a DLC file you have to redownload the entire thing, even if it's a tiny one line change.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, darkChozo said:

DLC files are encrypted, which means that even a small change to a DLC file will end up changing the entire file. That means that every time they touch a DLC file you have to redownload the entire thing, even if it's a tiny one line change.

Depends on the DLC though. Everything pre-Jets DLC is decrypted.

9 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Iirc There was a time on Dec branch in last few months that the team discussed the dispersion being too unrealistically accurate for rockets and perhaps guns on the helos. 

Definitely agree the damage is wayy wayy off. I have witnessed in game veteran accuracy shots dropping pretty much all over enemy and them walking away from it. Like the rounds have been ridiculously nerfed. Would be nice to see a proper real world tweak here.

I missed the time guns were discussed. I don't deny the increased gun dispersion looks spectacular and, after checking the sources, is quite realistic, too. However, the magnitude of the effect is too low. Those are big rounds, not quite hand grenade-sized, but close. 

Current Panther Commander's optics mode looks like this:

BA68090E7C8AFB93747BCAA894FCC6A09B96070B

It's missing azimuth and elevation.

While a lowly static .50cal machine gun displays a lot more information:

C1F3ACD0868C86ACA054F2755117D87E969BB096

Having azimuth and elevation for commanders optics modes in armed vehicles is a must as it allows far better communication between crew.  At the moment a commander might spot a target but has no way of relaying what bearing it is on.  I'd be happy to do a quick review of all commander slots to let you guys know which ones would need the update?

Edit: would also be nice for the new pilot cameras for the 2 attack helicopters.

• Like 1

Big fan. Stuff looks great.

The CSAT tank looks great, the NATO vehicle looks so-so, the AAF vehicle looks like, well...it's not my cup of tea. 

I think it's cool that they are including a mini-campaign. 

The top secret AAF vehicle/weapon that wasn't in the changelog or SITREP video, is a nice addition too :rthumb:

• Like 3