27 minutes ago, Sgt. Strongest Military Ever said:

I think we'll be seeing something new this week:

Now, only February ends, and DLC promised at the end of 1Q

Tanks DLC on the way, we have yet to complete our current roadmap (Tanks DLC is on track to be released towards the end of Q1 2018).

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00209

Yup. Also:

Over the course of the next few weeks, we plan to introduce more interior-supported vehicles to Dev-Branch

Which hasn't happened yet, nearly 6 weeks later.

So...this has been a problem for us for a long time. Vehicle gunners have this tendency to know about enemies that should be outside their vision cone, abruptly and suddenly turn and snipe them with one burst and then snap back to the original direction they were facing. It's really annoying when playing against them, and really jarring when inside vics with the new interiors (since this sudden motion is really noticeable). They also seem to be really good at turning and focusing on targets while in motion. As a player this is really difficult unless the target is far away. I think the main turret gunner behaves too much like the commander turret in general. Needs to be slower and more deliberate.

As a player in a vehicle your awareness is quite limited (even with the new interiors), and I think the AI should better reflect that. Maybe some (slow) scanning behaviour needs to be incorporated too, so that players know the AI is going to turn towards them.

(this is less of a problem with open turrets, but with CROWS...)

I noticed the FV-720 Mora has some new sounds, specifically for wheels and tracks. So squeaky! It makes me genuinely happy coupled with the bouncy suspension. :P

Speaking of the Mora, would it ever be possible to combine the detail proxy into the model?

wJBvpiZ.jpg

It ruins perfectly good retextures. :(

• Like 1

Sounds about right.

I hope we get to see some cfgarmorsimulation snacks soon :D

Edit:

Regarding today's devbranch update. What could possibly be the difference between " " and ' '   :)

Maybe an indication of how serious these logistical issues are?

I have yet to witness a case of '''logistical issues''' . I've been told those are a nightmare.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

Sounds about right.

I hope we get to see some cfgarmorsimulation snacks soon :D

Edit:

Regarding today's devbranch update. What could possibly be the difference between " " and ' '   :)

Maybe an indication of how serious these logistical issues are?

I have yet to witness a case of '''logistical issues''' . I've been told those are a nightmare.

them logistical issues must be top secret classified logistical issues

• Like 1

Hmmm, I think BIS should probably state what the logistical issues are, in case the community starts building it up to be something it's not.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, bis_iceman said:

Sometimes we indeed are preparing some package to hit the Dev-Branch, but most of the time it’s an issue caused by internal circumstances. For example, yesterday our data packing server woke up to a not so splendid morning and decided to pack vehicle data without any collisions applied. Due to this, QA spent the day testing a fix deployed by our mastering heroes, but unfortunately still found some cases of corrupted data. QA applied a red flag on the build and we did not release it.

Pure example of technical issues, without quotation marks. :elfbash:

I'm sure there'll be a big update tomorrow or a day after that. Both would distract me from at least one important exam. :)

• Like 2

Remember the team is quite small now, so I wouldn't expect huge changelogs anymore to begin with.

There's at least one "huge changelog" (in terms of importance, not length) coming when they drop new tanks and assorted art on the devbranch. I suspect that's what is coming next. Remaining vehicle interior will also be a major devbranch update.

Remember the team is quite small now

and the last days they where propably all playing kingdom co... i mean doing game research :P

• Haha 5

no problem today we will know everything in the SITREP

• Like 1

15 hours ago, x3kj said:

and the last days they where propably all playing kingdom co... i mean doing game research :P

IKR - my video editing work has been extremely slow due to pla... hands-on research on medieval peasantry :e:

Dev. Branch v. 1.81.144316

Marid.

The gunner and commander's slot is broken.
In no menu you can choose the gunner slot. Choosing a commander's slot makes you become ... a gunner. Being a gunner you can use smoke screen.

PCML.

You need about three PCML rockets to destroy an Orca helicopter that floats in the air.

Marid only has two crew members. It's lightly armed for an APC, with just an RCWS turret. As such, it has no need for a separate gunner.

PCML is not an AA missile. Its HEAT charges are designed to fire forward and down. Depending on where it hits, it could very well result in very little overall damage (though I suppose the explosion should bring it down, at least).

The Marid change is intentional. The commander is the gunner.

/edit: Seems I was a second too slow.

44 minutes ago, grzegorz said:

PCML.

You need about three PCML rockets to destroy an Orca helicopter that floats in the air.

If the PCML is supposed to mimic the Saab NLAW, here is some info on it:

• Modes of operation

The soldier selects top attack mode to engage tanks and armoured vehicles in order to strike the least armoured area on the vehicle’s roof. In the overfly top attack (OTA) mode, the missile flies at about 1m above the line of sight. The missile’s sensor initiates the warhead above the roof of the target.

The soldier can select the direct attack (DA) mode to engage light vehicles, buildings and bunkers. In direct attack mode the missile flies directly along the line of sight towards the target. The missile fuse system is disconnected and the warhead detonates upon impact, after a short delay.

• Warhead characteristics

The missile has an active magnetic and optical sensor activated proximity fuse. The sensor data is analysed to match the known relevant target criteria before warhead initiation. The missile warhead is activated even against aluminium targets and partially concealed targets.

In conventional overflight missiles a keyhole effect resulting in reduced penetration into the target is caused by a shaped charge jet which develops during the missile flight. The MBT LAW warhead, similar to the BILL 2 missile warhead, incorporates a dynamically compensated shaped and copper lined charge to retain the penetration characteristics. The charge is 102mm in diameter.

So to summarize:

OTA (Overfly Top Attack) mode is used against armored targets. DA (Direct attack) is used against anything else.

I can't find out exactly what "Dynamically compensated shaped charge" means in relation to the specific weapon system, but these warheads are typically mounted at a 90 degree angle, as to hit directly from above the armored target. The top armor is usually among the thinnest on the entire vehicle, and therefore much easier to penetrate. 

The interesting thing here (highlighted in blue) is that during direct attack, the sensor suite is deactivated and it simply relies on direct impact fuze with a short delay. This essentially means that it's designed to punch through unarmored stuff using the missile's kinetic energy, then detonating inside the vehicle. The explosives used in the warhead shaped charge will serve as a pure HE munition in this mode (no front-facing armor penetration value).

In your helicopter scenario, it would probably be most destructive and accurate in direct-attack mode, but like @dragon01 already explained, it is not designed for AA capabilities. Just like the RPG-7 is not an Anti-Air weapon, even though somalians patented that.

The effect of shaped charge munitions on lightly armored vehicles is less significant, since something called "overpenetration" occurs. Effectively, the armor is so thin, that the projectile (or in the case of HEAT, the "jet") simply cuts through without dissipating its energy into the target. This is very easy to imagine in a comparable situation:

Imagine stringing up a cardboard target and shooting it with a pistol. The cardboard is so weak, the bullet just zips through without really causing the cardboard to move. If the target was made out of plywood, which is stronger, the bullet spends more energy to pass through, and transfers that energy to the plywood. This causes more damage to the area around the impact and pushes the plywood backwards.

Anyways, the PCML missile in DA mode should damage the helicopter severely with just one hit, since it probably would perforate the aluminium skin and detonate inside the cabin.

Cheers

Do note that in ArmA, the "penetrate skin then detonate inside" behavior is not modeled. So it's straight impact detonation, with the HEAT charge "penetrator" getting launched mostly downward (actually down and forward, again this is done because of how ArmA models hit detection). This, along with the fact that the actual explosion of the PCML isn't all that big, is likely what causes the helo to take less damage than it should. 

• Like 1

Oops. I rarely play on the red side and the Marid vehicle (I do not like him) I avoid as a fire so I even forgot that his crew consists of two people.

I do not speak English so I will make a movie (as I will find some time) because PCML vs various helicopters is a very interesting phenomenon. Hellcat has a very badly placed closing point (lock). The durability and resistance of various helicopters on PCML is also very surprising.

21-02-2018 

EXE rev. 144332 (game) 

EXE rev. 144332 (launcher) 

Size: ~895 MB 

DATA 

Added: Vehicle Customization to the M2A1 Slammer, M2A4 Slammer UP, M4 Scorcher, M5 Sandstorm MLRS, IFV-6a Cheetah, CRV-6e Bobcat, IFV-6c Panther, AMV-7 Marshall, T-100 Varsuk, 2S9 Sochor, BTR-K Kamysh, ZSU-39 Tigris, MSE-3 Marid, MBT-52 Kuma, FV-720 Mora, and AFV-4 Gorgon vehicles 

Added: Fully modelled 3D interiors to the M2A1 Slammer, M2A4 Slammer UP, M4 Scorcher, M5 Sandstorm MLRS, IFV-6a Cheetah, CRV-6e Bobcat, IFV-6c Panther, T-100 Varsuk, 2S9 Sochor, BTR-K Kamysh, ZSU-39 Tigris, MBT-52 Kuma, and FV-720 Mora vehicles 

ENGINE 

Added: Extended Damage Model applied to the M2A1 Slammer, M2A4 Slammer UP, M4 Scorcher, M5 Sandstorm MLRS, IFV-6a Cheetah, CRV-6e Bobcat, IFV-6c Panther, AMV-7 Marshall, T-100 Varsuk, 2S9 Sochor, BTR-K Kamysh, ZSU-39 Tigris, MSE-3 Marid, MBT-52 Kuma, FV-720 Mora, and AFV-4 Gorgon vehicles 

Woow can't wait for my download to finnish to try these ! Thank you Bohemia!

• Like 3

Shit looks awesome.

Still have a complaint, though: No turn out for Kamysh. :/

• Like 2