24 minutes ago, reyhard said:

that allows you to cross obstacles without breaking tires and I think that is more important for offroad vehicle.

Hells to the yeah, don't fuck with that. 

Think the shooting position's textures could be updated?

tKJv0R4.jpg

Way too bright currently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, oukej said:

Most probably we won't have enough time for it but if you point us to individual vehicles we might be able to fix the most obvious ones

Regarding individual vehicle behaviour. Some vehicles have a strange behaviour if you release the forward button or forward axis....they barely slow down at all. Most noticeable on HEMMT and Prowler both litteraly go on for a mile without any input and tend to even accelerate on their own at slight downslopes. Both are also hard to stop without [X] Handbrake. The best and most natural driving behaviour so far is found on the ZAMAK.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the Prowler stops quite well if you have some turn on, but because it flips over at the slightest provocation, it can be a nerve wracking manoeuvre

So some thoughts related to Tanks...

1. The 125mm shell used by the T-100 has the same config as the 120mm shell used by the others. Will this be changed for Tanks?

2. Could the Virtual Garage description for vehicles provide more detailed stats in the lower right? Especially for armour values. For example, if this:

OIUIPCZ.png

could be turned into something more like this...

jc0mxZn.png

then that would be really useful for mission makers and players alike. Of course, would be great to see the other stats of speed, fuel and the weapons as well, but dunno if you have that kind of time. Such an  "AP power" graph for AT weapons in general (both infantry or vehicles) would be good too.

(second image is from Wargame: Red Dragon)

• Like 5

Rather short changelog for a 600mb update. :turn:

• Like 1

I finally got the chance to check out the new sound configuration and all of it sounds really good! Only thing I noticed is some sounds such as tank treads or the wheels squeaking are missing. Were they removed or just temporarily?

Since Phabricator Captcha does not work I can't report a bug there, so I have to ask here:

Does anyone else have a problem with the last mission of Bootcamp - "Damage control". For me, yesterday, in DEV, the game had a constant CTD at the start of the mission after the radio line "Just marking their territory, as per usual". It's not nice to break the official Campaign :(

I have since returned to RC so I do not know the exact DEV version.

Can someone confirm this problem? It only takes a few seconds, the CTD is fairly soon into the mission as described above.

16 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Yes, the Prowler stops quite well if you have some turn on, but because it flips over at the slightest provocation, it can be a nerve wracking manoeuvre

That's not the point. The point is that a 4WD vehicle with fat all terrain tires on a dirt road will have enough friction and resistance to slow it down significantly when you go off the throtle. Some vehicles in ArmA simply do not. HEMMT and Prowlers are just most prominent to have neither weight nor friction nor gear resistance. They simply go on like an elecric driven ultra light vehicle.

9 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

then that would be really useful for mission makers and players alike. Of course, would be great to see the other stats of speed, fuel and the weapons as well, but dunno if you have that kind of time. Such an  "AP power" graph for AT weapons in general (both infantry or vehicles) would be good too.

It would be most usefull for making AI more capable to decide if to engage enemy or not.

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

ad simply go on like a elecric driven ultra light vehicle.

hover cars :)  Part of the problem is also related to offroad ground not providing any limits to speed or increase of rolling resistance

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, x3kj said:

It would be most usefull for making AI more capable to decide if to engage enemy or not.

hover cars :)  Part of the problem is also related to offroad ground not providing any limits to speed or increase of rolling resistance

The same is happening in roads. It's even worse there.

I would love to see BI implement some "simulated roughness" to the offroad terrain. When going offroad, small bumps (not visual, only simulated) will impact the suspension, causing some very gentle movement to the vehicle suspension. 

This, coupled with a mild speed reduction would make driving, aiming and shooting a bit tougher when choosing offroad.

Right now it feels like it somehow got overlooked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strike_NOR said:

I would love to see BI implement some "simulated roughness" to the offroad terrain. When going offroad, small bumps (not visual, only simulated) will impact the suspension, causing some very gentle movement to the vehicle suspension. 

This, coupled with a mild speed reduction would make driving, aiming and shooting a bit tougher when choosing offroad.

Right now it feels like it somehow got overlooked.

Good idea!

Make offroad bumpy again!

Cheers

• Haha 2

actually... ;)
dampersBumpCoef (Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidelines#Basic_parameters) together with surface rough

vehicle terrainCoef together with surface maxSpeedCoef

vehicle frictionVsSlipGraph (Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidelines#Wheel_simulation_parameters) together with surface surfaceFriction

• Like 6

@oukej Well I'll be damned.

Have these been available since A3 launch? 

If so, maybe the bumpiness of vanilla vehicles is just a tad too little. Somehow I feel that, even on greek islands, running offroad in 60/70 km/h should wreck your hatchback/pickup quite fast.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for that 100% realistic approach, where it is impossible to drive a normal car offroad. But civilian vehicles, or light vehicles should technically be penalized quite hard for attempting high-speed offroad driving.

I'm just thinking what would happen to my poor VW if I drove it off the road onto a nearby cornfield in 70 km/h. The slight bumps in the field would probably cause mayhem to my suspension and wreck the vehicle.

So here is my point. I found a great video that shows the difference between two trucks at two different speeds ~110km/h vs ~50km/h. One truck with an advanced suspension system, the other with "stock" suspension. It makes a HUGE difference.

The terrain type seems similar to what we can expect the ArmA 3 greek terrain to be like. 

But even so, the modified vehicle in the video still bounces a lot at these speeds, way more than vehicles currently do in ArmA 3 :) I was just thinking, that All Terrain Vehicles, tanks and such should have a significant advantage when moving offroad, while regular cars, trucks and smaller vehicles suffer from a little more violent bouncing.

I was thinking the newly overhauled physX suspension could compensate for more "terrain roughness".

It may be a far cry to ask for adjustment at this point though :) 

EDIT:

1 hour ago, oukej said:

dampersBumpCoef

"Defines how much dampers react to random little bumps on surface. It's only visual effect, doesn't influence drive simulation, only taken into account when calculating damper animation."

Aah, I see. My wording was a little bit bad. What I meant was that the bumps are not visual on the terrain mesh, but DO influence drive simulation. I would like to see them cause vehicle bounce, but only have a severe impact when going fast (like 40-50 km/h). If you are driving say, the hatchback, offroad at 40 km/h, you are going to have a bad time :) That's what I meant to say.

Edit edit: And thanks for taking the time to look up these things and answer :) I know you must be extra busy this friday, with Super Miller Land being released and all :D

1 hour ago, oukej said:

actually... ;)
dampersBumpCoef (Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidelines#Basic_parameters) together with surface rough

vehicle terrainCoef together with surface maxSpeedCoef

vehicle frictionVsSlipGraph (Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidelines#Wheel_simulation_parameters) together with surface surfaceFriction

Yes indeed, in theory some improvement is possible by changing configuration. The current configuration does not produce any noticeable effects. The dampersBumpCoef, as the page says, only affects visual animation, not simulation - > the simulation part however is what matters for gameplay. If a car doesn't oscillate/shake and it's just the wheels going up and down, then it wont matter for a player if he drives across a "simulated boulder field" with 30kph or 100kph. At 100kph it would look like it would have destructive effect on the suspension, but it doesn't.

Have these been available since A3 launch? 

They are available since A2 or even earlier if i'm not wrong. But as your reaction proves - the way they are set up in A3 does not lead to any noticeable effect. Also, up until recently maxspeed was totally useless parameter for tracked vehicles for example - they could easily go above it when driving downhill, or if their physx parameters where capable of much more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Related to this, would it be possible to stabilise the players view when in a vehicle?

It always strikes me as unnatural and immersion breaking that your view is locked to the vehicle  since real life is nothing like that.

Ideally the rotation of the vehicle would be damped to about half and delayed by 2 or 3 seconds. 

Actually, a big part of the problem here, I think, is that ArmA doesn't simulate suspension damage. IRL, you can get a normal car (especially one with a stick shift) to drive on dirt or sand... for a while. The suspension won't like this, and it will fail if you push it too hard, but it's possible. You need to apply a lot more power than in normal driving, because of much greater rolling resistance, as well as another thing ArmA doesn't simulate, namely bumps scraping the bottom of the chassis. Sand, at least, feels a bit like driving in snow (from my brief experience with that).

1. AI the driver doesn't keep the Tank position. For AI there is no dumping of the appointed traveling point. This problem wasn't, before release of version 1.80. This creates a problem in further maneuvers. When you are already in other location tasks, any change of role within the crew produces the task for the driver's AI to follow the last waypoint.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127626

AI the driver will begin the movement of the tank to the last earlier appointed traveling point. This is reproduced for all vehicles.
diag_toggle "AIDriving"; shows - the point of a way for AI remains always, it is activated when AI becomes the driver.

2. It is necessary to change a way of breakage of a canopy.

It is a lot of damage to cars and health, from:

Land_cargo_addon02_V1-F
Land_cargo_addon02_V2-F
Land_cargo_addon01_V1_F
Land_cargo_addon01_V2_F

Other types of canopies do not produce this effect.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120795

3. For a system in a column of tanks, any form of a column, change the provision of the main trunk of tanks. To change the direction of a trunk of the shooter:
- the first tank in a column - directly in the direction of the movement,
- the third tank in a column - to the left side from the direction of the movement,

The picture of a system in a spoiler

Spoiler

2a6g3T0.jpg

4. After creating the script and recording the video for the first "1." item, exit from the arma3diag - completes its work with an error.

If you do not disable the execution of diag_toggle "aidriving"; , before the game closes, I get an error.

myokplX.jpg

5. UAV

Problem exiting support mode for UAV

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120280

Travel points-do not provide reliable piloting UAV.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T82570

Low class equipment UAV

6. The "Report target" command does not reproduce the AI arrow action.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127656

• Like 3

Thread cleaned up, please keep the memes out of this thread. Any further off topic posts will incur forum infractions. 

5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles.

Spam will be fined with post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

feedback on 1.81.144193:  I don't know how It is still missing from this game, but when a tank fires, at least some bushes around should be affected. Not even grass on ground, or trees nor bushes seem to have "any" impact from a tank firing next to them and this looks plain cheap. You should add some kind of a "blast wave" simulation.

Just like the "wiggle" effect we have now when a helicopter is hovering next to trees or bushes. A firing tank should have something more than 0.8second smoke puffing from it's barrel Imho.

The sound "loop" according to surface while vehicle is travelling (wheeled ones) really sounds detailed and improved over that old loop but it still sounds like an obvious "loop". And Ifrit's feel like it has no weight, thing just flies when you are speeding, like there is no gravity at all and this is some sort of a new bladeless helicopter prototype.

I agree with beagle, zamak seems to have the most believable simulation atm.

edit on zamak: but it needs to "stop" when you suddenly drive it to a steep hill. It has to "stop" providing torque to wheels before continuing to climb the hill.

Edited by goko--
zamak
  • Like 2

The latest update to the Dev Branch is a small one, but one that puts a smile on my face...................

31-01-2018 

EXE rev. 144203 (game) 

EXE rev. 144203 (launcher) 

Size: ~234 MB 

DATA 

Tweaked: The vehicle number on the nose and fins of the Blackfish VTOL can now be re-textured 

ENGINE 

No EXE changes

Finally we can get rid of the vehicle number on the Blackfish! Well, when it makes its way to the main branch :)

Thank you BI!

• Like 3

On that note, would be nice to be able to replace the CSAT/NATO/AAF insignia on aircraft, too. (and the USS Freedom...) (heck i'd love it if flags could be replaced on uniforms too :P )

• Like 3

Meta.  These small changelogs have me holding my breath for each update. 

-k 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2