I'm as excited for the new content as anyone. I already pre-ordered.

But I just don't see (if this is true) how anyone could be ok with this.

Arma 3 has been out for 3 years and content for the game is going back what, 6 years thanks to ports? It doesn't make sense to me how a change like this that could break an enormous amount of currently usable content can be standard practice.

I get other people will disagree with me for the sake of the new content but honestly, I don't find it worth it TO ME if this is in fact what's going to happen.

I don't think you need to worry about that... 

Im on 1.61 Dev and Resh looks fine... Diyala had a black skybox too but Metals fix worked for me.

I'm sure most things will be able to be fixed at some point

• Like 2

Thanks Metal craze... that fix helped me get Diyala looking right again...

Good news. Would you care to share how you did it? Did you make a small pbo or edit the maps config directly? Many thanks to metalcraze for offering a ray of hope!

Easy: because CUP's not dead. :D

Let me give you an example why maps relying on new lighting change can be a good thing.

Many of us know of two great maps made by McNools - Aliabad and Hazar-kot.

McNools made them inherit their lighting configs from Takistan

As a result with upcoming CUP (which they rely on anyway in A3) they got lighting changes fully, without a single issue and without the need to write any special config for them. And they haven't been updated since ArmA2.

Same now can be done with maps reliant on CAWorld class. Correct me if I'm wrong but it should be easier and more correct/future proof to inherit some standard config and if a map author doesn't like some TimeOfDay settings - then it's easier to just overwrite (or add) some of those in map's own config (class LightingNew) then redo everything (which may also lead to conflicts like we see with missing clouds in 1.60RC now). It should also keep config size down.

Could you add Reshmaan and Isola Di Capria to the list?

It appears that both Reshmaan and Isola Di Capraia get new lighting with upcoming CUP (which now has its "CAWorld" cleaned up) without any config change needed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info metalcraze. Out of interest, what is the minimum config one would need to write?

For Diyala I tried this super minimal one with no luck. I thought it would inherit enough stuff to work but the skybox is still monochrome.

class CfgPatches
{
class TPW_LIGHTING_FIX
{
units[]={};
weapons[]={};
requiredVersion=0.1;
requiredAddons[]=
{
"CUP_Worlds"
};
};
};

class CfgWorlds
{
class DefaultLighting;
class DefaultWorld;
class CAWorld;
class DYA: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
}; };

1) load order might not be sufficient (delete has to be last)

2) subclasses inherit from it (cant delete on sth with active dep)

3) use config viewer/dumpConfig to confirm delete working or not

• Like 1

I would like to point out one very old bug. Since some aircrafts have in and out animation. Bug occurs when you select either in or out option, you can still shoot, start engines, basicly all operations like you are sitting in pilot sit while exiting or entering aircraft. Simple produce of the problem is, go to e.g. AAF Wildcat, sit on pilot seat then select option to exit and while the exit animation is occuring at the same time you can shoot, start engine and so on. I think this can be fixed with delay time code. Like you can not use weapon while switching from one to another, you have to wait until weapon is ready in your hands, this should be easy to apply here.

How much time does it take for enter or exit animation to finish, then add delay time code which disable all input commands (something like that) with same duration time as animation.

• Like 1

So just for clarification after reading today's SITREP. Does the 1.60 lighting overhaul definitively render AiA broken at this point in time? I know that CUP team is working on a fix as mentioned above but AiA will officially have issues the new lighting from now on I take it?

CUP terrains works fine with 1.60, I checked myself, for AIA the project has been abandoned for a very long time, you're using it at your own risk.

Edit: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelp newest update to the rc branch broke it.

Thanks for the info metalcraze. Out of interest, what is the minimum config one would need to write?

For Diyala I tried this super minimal one with no luck. I thought it would inherit enough stuff to work but the skybox is still monochrome.

Minimum required and to inherit future lighting changes/config changes etc is:

class CfgPatches
{
	class PRA3_Kz
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Data_F","A3_Roads_F","A3_Structures_F","A3_Map_Data","A3_Map_Stratis","PRA3_Kz_Scenes","PRA3_Roads","PRA3_Plants","PRA3_Structures","PRA3_Misc","PRA3_Tunnels"};
	};
};

#include "cfgSurfaces.h"
#include "cfgVehicles.h"

class CfgWorlds
{
	class DefaultLighting;
	class DefaultWorld
	{
		cutscenes[] = {"Kunduz_intro1"};
	};
	class CAWorld : DefaultWorld{};
	class Stratis : CAWorld
	{
		class DefaultClutter;
		class Sea;
		class Underwater;
		class SeaWaterShaderPars;
		class WaterExPars;
		class HDRNewPars;
		class Lighting : DefaultLighting{};
		class DayLightingBrightAlmost;
		class DayLightingRainy;
		class Weather;
		class SimulWeather;
		class EnvMaps;
		class OutsideTerrain;
		class Grid
		{
			class Zoom1;
			class Zoom2;
			class Zoom3;
		};
		class Sounds;
		class Animation;
		class Subdivision;
	};
	class Kunduz : Stratis
	{
		class Sea : Sea{};
		class Underwater : Underwater{};
		class SeaWaterShaderPars : SeaWaterShaderPars{};
		class WaterExPars : WaterExPars{};
		class HDRNewPars : HDRNewPars{};
		class Lighting : DefaultLighting{};
		class DayLightingBrightAlmost : DayLightingBrightAlmost{};
		class DayLightingRainy : DayLightingRainy{};
		class Weather : Weather{};
		class SimulWeather : SimulWeather{};
		cutscenes[]				= {"Kunduz_intro1"};
		icon					= "";
		worldName				= "\pra3\pra3_kz\kunduz.wrp";
		pictureMap				= "\pra3\pra3_kz\data\icons\pictureMap_ca.paa";
		pictureShot				= "\pra3\pra3_kz\data\icons\ui_kunduz_ca.paa";
		plateFormat				= "AS$-####";
		plateLetters			= "ABCDEGHIKLMNOPRSTVXZ";
		author					= "$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_AUTHOR";
		description				= "$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_DESCRIPTION";
		newRoadsShape			= "\pra3\pra3_kz\data\roads\roads.shp";
		startTime				= "07:30";
		startDate				= "6/7/2009";
		midDetailTexture		= "A3\Map_Data\middle_mco.paa";
		access					= 3;
		worldId					= 1;
		mapSize					= 5120;
		mapZone					= 42;
		longitude				= 68.873;
		latitude				= -36.712;
		elevationOffset			= 0;
		clutterGrid				= 1.5;
		clutterDist				= 125;
		noDetailDist			= 65;
		fullDetailDist			= 20;
		minTreesInForestSquare	= 2;
		minRocksInRockSquare	= 2;
		safePositionAnchor[]	= {1024,1024};
		safePositionRadius		= 1024;
		centerPosition[]		= {2048,2048,2048};
		seagullPos[]			= {1024,1024,1024};
		ilsPosition[]			= {0,0};
		ilsDirection[]			= {0,0,0};
		ilsTaxiOff[]			= {};
		ilsTaxiIn[]			= {};
		loadingTexts[]			= {"$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_LOADINGTEXT1","$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_LOADINGTEXT2","$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_LOADINGTEXT3","$STR_PRA3_CFGWORLDS_KUNDUZ_LOADINGTEXT4"};
		class EnvMaps : EnvMaps{};
		class OutsideTerrain
		{
			satellite = "pra3\pra3_kz\data\outsideterrain\s_satout_co.paa";
			enableTerrainSynth = 0;
			class Layers
			{
				class Layer0
				{
					nopx = "pra3\pra3_kz\data\kz_sanddesert_nopx.paa";
					texture = "pra3\pra3_kz\data\kz_sanddesert_co.paa";
				};
			};
			colorOutside[] = {0.8549,0.7019,0.3764,1};
		};
		class Grid : Grid
		{
			offsetX = 0;
			offsetY = 5120;
			class Zoom1 : Zoom1{};
			class Zoom2 : Zoom2{};
			class Zoom3 : Zoom3{};
		};
		class Sounds :  Sounds{};
		class Animation : Animation{};
		class Subdivision : Subdivision{};
		class AmbientA3
		{
			#include "cfgAmbience.h"
		};
		class Names
		{
			#include "cfgNames.h"
		};
	};
	initWorld = "Kunduz";
	demoWorld = "Kunduz";
};
class CfgWorldList
{
	class Kunduz{};
};
class CfgLensFlare{};
  • Like 1

Yep... and fixes are possible so 

Cup_zpsftornxeq.jpg

edit.. thanks James... will try On Kunduz... love Alive insurgency on your Map... Cheers Man!!!

• Like 1

I'm as excited for the new content as anyone. I already pre-ordered.

Arma 3 has been out for 3 years and content for the game is going back what, 6 years thanks to ports? It doesn't make sense to me how a change like this that could break an enormous amount of currently usable content can be standard practice.

I get other people will disagree with me for the sake of the new content but honestly, I don't find it worth it TO ME if this is in fact what's going to happen.

Think about it this way. The content was available for years since release. By now most of it would be played to death anyway, and BI need income, so it can't hurt to break the lighting for some maps temporarily. In short, that can always be fixed anyways, and in the end, said old maps will end up with even better lighting because of it. I mean look at Altis and Stratis now! They look stunning.

• Like 1

Yep... and fixes are possible so

Not really sure what the previously deleted messages that prompted the CUP image were. I wasn't trying to debate the merits of any pack. I was more or less ineloquently asking if the technical nature of the light changes would universally break the skybox on all maps that weren't given a manual configurations.

I'll assume the answer is yes and thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

A placement radius which includes water - I heard ArmA did already check for land vehicles/player not spawning in water - but with Eden it allows for player spawning in water.

Is that intended? Random whole map player spawn, I don't know how to achieve this via just the editor.

what happened to the Aircraft and Helicopter HMD's ? They are all blobby now and hard to read / imprecise

20160525182358_1fnkcr.jpg

Other HMD's are the same. Note the difference between the font "flaps" and "20mm Twin Cannon"

Not really sure what the previously deleted messages that prompted the CUP image were. I wasn't trying to debate the merits of any pack. I was more or less ineloquently asking if the technical nature of the light changes would universally break the skybox on all maps that weren't given a manual configurations.

I'll assume the answer is yes and thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

No worries... that was my attempt to say I'm sure the CUP guys will take care of some of that given time...

Reshmaan still has that funny black spider in the clouds for me but the clouds are normal and even colored again in the light pink in the morning.... Looks purdy

• Like 1

Steam achievements issue successfully fixed :)

any chance those items ported from dayZ (rice and other small items) could be turned into actual inventory items?

it's really minimal effort to do this and would open up a lot of possibilities for mission makers. so frustrating to have to use tiny addons to make this happen.

i know it's kind of a specific personal request but considering the mentioned small effort i thought i'd bring it up.

EDIT: basically this. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29941

pretty please?

• Like 2

This ^ 

Also specific tools, if were added as inventory items would add hell out of immersion for repairs.

I'd very much like to see those small objects as inventory items as well, but at the very least, the ones we had in Arma 2; intel documents, photographs, the cash, etc. 

• Tweaked: Damage source handling improvements (extended Event Handlers, optimizing damage handling functions) (WIP)

So I noticed that all my scripts that relied on a hit eventhandler to report damage, no longer work.  Damage used to be _this select 2, now it's _this select 3.

Can we have a little clarification what these changes involve? Why can't the new variables go after the damage instead of before it?

Not trying to pointlessly complain, but this is the sort of change that will break all sorts of scripts. 

• Like 1

Anyone wanna guess what this is for

Added: A new BIS_fnc_isThrowable function (determining if the magazine of a given class name is throwable)

• Tweaked: Damage source handling improvements (extended Event Handlers, optimizing damage handling functions) (WIP)

So I noticed that all my scripts that relied on a hit eventhandler to report damage, no longer work.  Damage used to be _this select 2, now it's _this select 3.

Can we have a little clarification what these changes involve? Why can't the new variables go after the damage instead of before it?

Not trying to pointlessly complain, but this is the sort of change that will break all sorts of scripts. 

The plan is indeed to have this new returned value at the end of the array because of backward compatibility, it will be changed soon. Thanks for the report :292:

• Like 6

Any chance the name of the hosted session in the Host Session dialogue could be saved as a variable to the profileNamespace? I don't like it to contain my computer name and I like it even less to change the name every single time.