I personally love the new lighting. It somehow makes everything seem more present, and physical. Also, those who don't like the new lighting, there is an option in video settings under Lighting, that allow you to alter certain features of said new lighting.

Can anyone confirm, that the brightness of the scene depends on the direction one is looking? It seems to very quickly change from bright, to the darkest night. That also seems to happen if one watches though a LR scope.

Yes, that's HDR in action. The effect is nowhere near as bad as it was in Arma 1 and 2 though.

Not on dev branch myself, so not quite clear what the extent of the graphics update is. I run https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/181183-real-light-v5-reshade-preset/

(ReShade) by Solano and I have very nice colours already on stable branch. Is this just a way to add ReShade-like features to the vanilla game or are there more features than that ?

Cheers,

OP

Yes, that's HDR in action. The effect is nowhere near as bad as it was in Arma 1 and 2 though.

Really? It's unplayable on my end

We all love BI and we love the game, and that's exactly why we are on devbranch, testing and reporting the issues we come across. Don't tell me to be "patient", or "this is devbranch, expect issues". Yes, this is devbranch, and that's exactly why we make an effort to test and report any issues that we come across. If you are one of those handful of people trying to sabotage that effort, just stop.

I'd like to clarify one thing related to the performance issue I'm having. Some people here seem to be testing static scenes (like main menu, or just standing still staring at something). That's wrong, you won't see any issues there. When my camera or avatar is not moving, everything is fine as usual. It's when things start moving that I get much more stuttering than usual, and as I said, it seems to be related to objects being loaded/unloaded, because it gets worse in areas with a lot of objects. It can be something as simple as turning my ingame head 90 degrees to the side, and I get mega-stuttering while doing it. It is so bad it often makes the game unplayable. If an enemy soldier happens to be standing there and I need to engage him, I turn towards him, get a mega-stutter, and at the time my monitor starts receiving new frames again, I'm already dead. That makes it a critical issue in my opinion. It's the sort of thing that causes rage-quits, as it doesn't feel like the game is being fair towards you.

***Got a warning for this post and had it removed by a mod the first time. Since I only had good intentions, and believe I'm not breaking any rules, I'm now posting it again, slightly edited. Thanks so much for removing my feedback and my expression for how much I love the game. Great work mods***

FPS issues on current dev build

Stable test at Kavala - same settings

Looking out to sea: 100fps (on the dot!)

Looking at the city: 75fps

DEV branch:

Looking out to sea: 98fps

Looking at the city: 27fps.

PC details in sig

The issue is only when looking at object rich environments. FPS tanks, hard.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm, that the brightness of the scene depends on the direction one is looking? It seems to very quickly change from bright, to the darkest night. That also seems to happen if one watches though a LR scope.

I can't confirm that. Maybe you had clouds that were positioned just right way in front of the moon.

digging the new lighting, look and feel. is there any roadmap showing the plans still to be developed? such a good difference so far.

• Like 1

I personally love the new lighting. It somehow makes everything seem more present, and physical. Also, those who don't like the new lighting, there is an option in video settings under Lighting, that allow you to alter certain features of said new lighting.

Great way to put it -exactly my feel on it as well.

• Like 2

I wish they could disable this bright-dark efects dependable where you look. It was destroying immersion while playing A2.

Feedback for devs :

--------

in AA&PP setting menu, it's impossible to set postprocess colour correction by ourself, by writing it in the integer field. The new value is written, but not applied.

--------

When going underwater (without diving goggles), with your head just under the water level (i.e. when you walk into water from a beach), there is a picture reflected on the surface which should not be here. It look like a loading crane.

http://image.noelsha...409182507-1.jpg

http://image.noelsha...409182510-1.jpg

Note that I'm looking at 2 different directions on these pictures.

It happen at different places on Altis and Stratis.

what you are seeing is not a crane but possibly your guys reflection on the water surface it can be seen by walking in shallow water and crouching look around at surface.

I have to say like the new visuals. I loaded up marksman and instantly noticed the gun. shit popped. water reflections make me thirsty .

regards performance on dev

system

windows 7 

1440p

gpu gtx 970 driver 361.91.

cpu I7 8 gig ram arma on ssd.

tested on editor no mods.

Kavala 5 ai squads 2 armored divisions.

stable no hugh drops stutters(but using g sync so might be reason for not noticing as much). 30 fps lowest -55.fps noted using shadowplay fps counter.

errors .got some errors when placing vehicle ( mg with sighted private). and had to launch arma without battleye as it was causing problems. 

revo I couldn't get that light problem reproduced. any more info

digging the new lighting, look and feel. is there any roadmap showing the plans still to be developed? such a good difference so far.

Does an upcoming OPREP count?

New lighting looking good for the most part.

I believe the night time lighting is definitely due some tweakage though:

Night Showcase, is currently... not so night.

rsYGFkiy.jpg ZZAHl2Lw.jpg

Actually, it's set in June, at around 19:45 ? At that time, it should be nearly daylight still.

But yeah, it's suddenly a not-Night Showcase

OK I figured out how to port this to new islands. It's all in map_stratis.pbo, config.bin

The most influential tweaks are stored under class HDRNewPars (and it seems to be the setting used when you use Standard HDR setting in video options) and class simulWeather (this adds back nicer clouds from ArmA3's alpha version that are now used once again on Stratis and Altis)

In fact it's curious how BIS has to use tonemapMethod = 1 to get ANY effect. It seems to be the same method used under low HDR options setting which causes that overbright contrast.

Meaning it's mostly enough to set tonemapMethod to 2 to completely remove the new "color space" and bring back old colors.

Old Utes

ABzh5br.jpg

New Utes

sft2lLl.jpg

• Like 5

Hi this code used to work in dev branch for me and now it doesnt work.

Can anyone tell me if its the game with the issue or isnt the code. Thanks in advance :].

This code was placed in the init of Arrow (Large, Green) 

myplant = createObject ["a3\plants_f\Tree\t_OleaE1s_F.p3d", AGLtoASL (this getRelPos [0, 0])];  myplant attachTo [this,[-0,0,0]];  this hideObjectGlobal true;

rsYGFkiy.jpg ZZAHl2Lw.jpg

Hello fellow internauts.
To me looks perfectly fine, in fact it looks better than fine, just looks superb.
I apologise for the "bit laggy footage" but I am recording this with a Intel Celeron at 3.0 Ghz and with a ATI 5870 having 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, with all maxed, 5000 VD except textures because with 1 GB of VRAM the max I am allowed (by game settings ) is Very High, also recording with Lagarith Lossless. for obvious reasons I can't have stable 60 FPS.
Still It's a dam nice job , keep it up dear developers.

Hi this code used to work in dev branch for me and now it doesnt work.

Can anyone tell me if its the game with the issue or isnt the code. Thanks in advance :].

This code was placed in the init of Arrow (Large, Green) 

myplant = createObject ["a3\plants_f\Tree\t_OleaE1s_F.p3d", AGLtoASL (this getRelPos [0, 0])];  myplant attachTo [this,[-0,0,0]];  this hideObjectGlobal true;

The command was renamed, see https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createSimpleObject

DEV branch:

PC details in sig

Your post appears to have no signature so no-one can see your PC details

I notice that when rotational blur is turned on in video settings, the effect can be applied to some frames but not others when the player's view rotates.

For frames where the blur effect is applied, foreground objects such as grass, wire fence and bushes appear to be darker overall than when it is not applied.

The result is a strobe like effect when rotating the players view which looks really bad. This is especially noticeable in low light situations, such as a full moon night without NV googles.

Workaround - disable rotational blur.

first i am excited about these new features especially "Switching weapons while moving", new shaders (water reflections *minute of silence for Kegetys Direct X Hack) and so on.

but, unfortunately the midrange textures issue is still present. 

Hello fellow internauts.
To me looks perfectly fine, in fact it looks better than fine, just looks superb.
I apologise for the "bit laggy footage" but I am recording this with a Intel Celeron at 3.0 Ghz and with a ATI 5870 having 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, with all maxed, 5000 VD except textures because with 1 GB of VRAM the max I am allowed (by game settings ) is Very High, also recording with Lagarith Lossless. for obvious reasons I can't have stable 60 FPS.
Still It's a dam nice job , keep it up dear developers.

If you wouldn't mind posting some screens of your graphics settings it would be useful for me to work out why mine is so much lighter.

Thanks

E

first i am excited about these new features especially "Switching weapons while moving", new shaders (water reflections *minute of silence for Kegetys Direct X Hack) and so on.
but, unfortunately the midrange textures issue is still present. 

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/141095-terrain-improvement-dev-branch/?p=2922025

DEV branch:

PC details in sig

My sig isn't displaying, in the meantime:

PC specs: 

i5 3570k @ 4.1Ghz OC 

GTX 780 stock

8gb DDR3 Ram (will check speeds, but I recall they're on the high end)

Installed on an SSD 

Windows 10 x64 Ultimate

Latest Nvidia drivers.

TO BE CHECKED:

Rollback to previous Nvidia drivers, disable page files and ensure all performance is on the SSD not HDD. Failing that move pagefiles on to the SSD/HDD alone and find out if that's an issue (as this seems to behave like a draw call problem, CPU or disk speed to blame)

Check HDD performance in case it's better than SSD for some reason.  

Disconnect all external devices, disable TIR5/Rift background runtimes (Rift was powered off but the back processes may interfere)

Notes:

The issue occurs on all graphics settings from low to ultra, however objects (draw distance) and terrain (draw distance) causes the biggest drops. The issue is noticeable when the game is paused (open video settings) not just when in

If anyone else is encountering this particular problem (lower than expected FPS in heavy object scenes) please post a performance difference between dev and stable, and post your specs to see if it's hardware specific. 

Further Testing

Can anyone recommend a way to log and make a spreadsheet of frametimes?