Well, none of the mods are configged for this as of right now - since this feature is hardly a day old.

It is there for modders to start actually implementing it before it goes to main via one of the big updates in some time.

https://twitter.com/ondrejkuzel/status/685062681125097473

Oundrej did (internal testing probably) :D

CYHU4L1VAAElV6s.jpg

Added: Geometric occluder technology (https://community.bi...etric_Occluders)

Is this already configured for all buildings? What was the reason it was added, can we expect better performce in cities now? Sorry for being nosy.

Is this already configured for all buildings? What was the reason it was added, can we expect better performce in cities now? Sorry for being nosy.

I can't see any changes in building data today, so my guess is they only added the tech.

I wonder how big of a performance improvement this will be on top of the current occlusion culling? With pre-defined occluders Is it just supporting the old system, so it doesn't have to do so much dynamic calculations?

Probably not enabled by default yet, however, I believe it will bring better performance. My best guess? Remember when there was talk of wether buildings should be enter able and have no furniture or have furniture with limited access to certain parts of a building? This could be the "in between" solution for that. Having the ability to completely hide, or rather, not render an object in a building as if it were never there, would mean it would be like not having furniture at all... Until you see it when you enter the room or building or something of that nature. This could also mean being in a town that's got a lot of tall buildings, you can't see anything around corners or on the other side of town, so this could also not render those until they go past the render limit in which point the engine renders that object again. Of course, this is just my guess, and I would assume that would improve performance in congested areas, dense forest, dense Urban scape, industrial, etc.

I guess it's too much to hope that it could be something to do with the new lighting tech? Possibly to block external light from interior areas and vice versa?

I guess it's too much to hope that it could be something to do with the new lighting tech? Possibly to block external light from interior areas and vice versa?

Don't think so, there is no mention about lighting on the wiki page. However, I really hope that the new lighning tech will improve something along those lines.

It's nice to see that these kind of engine improvements carry on both of the engines.

• Like 1

I just want to ask  something to clarify part of the occluders method written on the biki here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders

The method says

When box is not suitable, use convex polygons. Keep number of edges low. The best would be 4 edges, up to 6 as maximum. The best example of such building is warehouse, where there are huge opened doors.

Now, in terms of 3d modelling software my understanding of the word "edge" has always been that it it is the line between two vertex/points, or the boundary where two polygonal surfaces meet. So a closed cuboid/box actually has 12 "edges" when modelled in quads, or 18 if its triangulated - which would be more than the proposed maximum written in the documentation.

maya1.jpg

^this quad plane has 4 edges^

Is the intended meaning that the occluder_# has to be convex with around 8 points/vertices (uniform would be a cuboid - 4 vertical edges and sides) up to 12 points/verts (uniform would be a hexagonal prism - 6 vertical edges and sides)? Or do you mean we're supposed to use non-closed polygon planes?

Nice feature, i hope it will boost some fps. I'm wondering what happen if the object get damaged? Probably would ignore it, wouldn't it?

BI: Will you modify all the objects in the Altis and Stratis or the big/common ones only? What's the plan if i may ask it? :)

Same poor performance as always, no changes for me despite the latest dev branch update.

Same poor performance as always, no changes for me despite the latest dev branch update.

Building files didn't change, so I think it would be a real surprise if you felt any performance boost.

Kamysh has some issues with the model itself, it would require some more time to do the hatches properly :icon_evil:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how high is the chance of this ever getting fixed up? :>

Question: There are the "canocclude" and "canbeoccluded" named properties for models for quite a while (Geometry LOD)

What was or is their use? I always thought that the occlusion (like we get now with "geometric occluders") was already a technology that was implemented long ago? Or is this new method used on top of the old method to reduce necessary occlusion checks?

I would like to note that while adding TankX to the Amphibious Engine was technically a milestone, that the Amphibious Engine itself is in a serious need of tweaking, this is ever since Alpha. While the performance of vehicles depend on configuration, there seems to be a serious problem with turning in Amphibious vehicles in general. You can take the Strider, Marid, Marshall, and Gorgon for example. Not only are they all locked to slow speeds 10kph and below, but they all suffer from a serious water sliding issue. What do I mean?

Get in any vehicle, and drive into the water. Go straight for a little bit.

Then turn and notice that it's not a proper turn, but a very horrific looking and unrealistically performing slide to one side, almost seeming around a circle.

Then continue straight.

May I suggest that the Amphibious Engine be either tweaked or updated, and if need be, a separate thread be created spefically on the matter of Amphibious Vehicles.

I just want to ask  something to clarify part of the occluders method written on the biki here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders

The method says

Now, in terms of 3d modelling software my understanding of the word "edge" has always been that it it is the line between two vertex/points, or the boundary where two polygonal surfaces meet. So a closed cuboid/box actually has 12 "edges" when modelled in quads, or 18 if its triangulated - which would be more than the proposed maximum written in the documentation.

Is the intended meaning that the occluder_# has to be convex with around 8 points/vertices (uniform would be a cuboid - 4 vertical edges and sides) up to 12 points/verts (uniform would be a hexagonal prism - 6 vertical edges and sides)? Or do you mean we're supposed to use non-closed polygon planes?

I think your missing the point of "Use a box" OR when not suitable "Use a polygon/s".

A box can have its occlusion easily calculate via its bounds.

Where as a polys occlusion (plane) is most likely calculated via a frustum from camera position using the polys vertices, hence the limit on edges as it could get expensive.

Think of it in terms of the example of the warehouse on the wiki.

If you placed a large box occluder in there anyone viewing through the large open door would not see stuff inside.

Using a poly aligned with the wall you can extrapolate using the player camera position what is hidden behind it.

Maybe not 100% correct but this is how i interpret the article.

Two questions..

Does the winding of polygon occluder matter? I would presume so. Although that would not make sense for the heap of rock example, so maybe not, which leads me to..

What do these occlude exactly? Seeing as there is the inclusion of proxy occluders does this mean they only occlude parts of the model they are incorporated in?

As in if you place a table in the editor inside a house that has a box occluder, it would not be occluded. Otherwise i dont see why there is the need for the proxy occluders because the proxy would get caught by the occluder of the model its in. In which case they are useless for improving performance when filling buildings with objects in the editor, they just reduce poly counts for the objects themselves. As in they are not world render portals but local only to their model.

:blink:

You can take the Strider, Marid, Marshall, and Gorgon for example. Not only are they all locked to slow speeds 10kph and below

For on the Marshall (Patria AMV/KTO Rosomak-based), the Gorgon (Pandur II-based), and the Marid (Otokar Arma) that's realistic. :P The Strider (Fennek-based) on the other hand... I don't see propellers or waterjets modeled on the Strider, but it's amphibious in-game anyway so that's more water speed than it might have in real life! (The real-life Fennek can ford up to one meter in depth.)
  • Like 1

A box can have its occlusion easily calculate via its bounds.

Where as a polys occlusion (plane) is most likely calculated via a frustum from camera position using the polys vertices, hence the limit on edges as it could get expensive.

Think of it in terms of the example of the warehouse on the wiki.

If you placed a large box occluder in there anyone viewing through the large open door would not see stuff inside.

Using a poly aligned with the wall you can extrapolate using the player camera position what is hidden behind it.

Yeah, that was what I was considering as the alternative.

Really I wanted "convex polygon" it to be clarified. Mostly because up to now, Geometry/viewGeometry LODs for the game have always had to be made only with components that have a closed convex hull so using polyplanes in one is something new..

As you say, the example of using a poly-plane as an occluder on a building that might have one or more aspect where where occlusion from a cuboid would cause visual problems makes a lot of sense.

However, the example that's given for using a "convex polygon" instead of a cuboid is on occluders for a "heap of rocks" - that's not an object that I would think would have a particular aspect where it should stop occluding. I would think you would want the rock heap to be able to occlude from whatever direction you observed it from.

As such, I'm not sure which way to interpret the wiki information

The entry specifically mentions furniture/ proxies inside the occluder, same as players inside the house and inside the occluder. There would be no inside for a poly plane. I think what he means with "edges" is actually corners on the base of the "cube" projected onto the ground

The entry specifically mentions furniture/ proxies inside the occluder, same as players inside the house and inside the occluder.

There is also another feature for occluding interior proxy objects, that is called proxy-occluder. They can be represented only by box and they should cover only interior objects, so window frames (often represented by proxies) are not occluded as it would look bad when they'll disappear.

He is specifically talking about proxy occluders there which can only be represented by a box and hes saying make sure the box only covers the interior objects so as your proxied window frames dont disappear.

On rereading the article (several times :/ ) ,a quick message back and forth to da12thMonkey and reading the dayz threads ive come to the conclusion that occlusion must happen for editor placed objects, else it would not be much of an improvement, and the proxy occluder is likely needed due to the way proxies are handle/loaded as part of the parent object.

I wonder if this means they will reconsider their stance on reducing the number of open buildings for the expansion terrain now that they have this technology in place?

Hello,
I have a question concerning the " End Game Spectator ".
Is it possible to disable the HUD as with Zeus. Or as normal viewer with L , J and H.
I did not find a solution on the net.

Thank you in advance for your answer .

onEachFrame seems broken.

Ok so putting this at the top of mission init file sorted it:

BIS_stackedEventHandlers_onEachFrame = [];
onEachFrame {};

I was aware oef carries on after mission finish but it seems it's bleeding into the next mission (or maybe something is corrupted somewhere).  Anyway, all sorted now.

Ok so putting this at the top of mission init file sorted it:

BIS_stackedEventHandlers_onEachFrame = [];
onEachFrame {};

I was aware oef carries on after mission finish but it seems it's bleeding into the next mission (or maybe something is corrupted somewhere).  Anyway, all sorted now.

Maybe someone broke it while adding a engine command for BIS_stackedEventHandlers *wish*

Maybe someone broke it while adding a engine command for BIS_stackedEventHandlers *wish*

AFAIK onEachFrame after mission execution was sorted awhile ago. If it is still possible then it needs to be reported.

Removed: Stencil shadows disabled in the Video Options (lowest shadow setting replaced with lower quality shadow buffer shadows)

This is great. There are many people that put shadows on low thinking that it will improve performance, when in reality stencil shadows actually make everything worse.

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to the grafical enhancements with the upcoming update, but is there any chance that this http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=27330

gets improved? There are also alot of issues, where objects and shadows disappear even though there are still visible for the player. I'll try do catch those glitches on camera too.

• Like 2