probably wrong thread but i just wanted to say thx for finally "refixing" the player controller. it was driving me beyond mad how the player's root was moving when turning with a weapon in your hands resulting in falling down from an edge when turning in place or glitching into walls among other things. long overdue but a change with great impact.

Yep. Now just hopefully they could fix the remaining clipping issues were you get stuck and I believe still some falling through some balcony can still happen. Things still happen with the refix but it's still better than with the "fix" I rather like to be stuck restricted than die because of those issues.

Awesome job with those Updates #ggarma

I already knew that it's kinda impossible to destroy a Strider with grenades and a Rifle..but now it can handle more than 200 12.7mm shots + 25 RGOs..A Hatchback at least cant handle the HMG but can take up to 3 grenades and 240 6.5mm bullets..respect on this

it will be inoperable way sooner then that (unless you shoot non-vulnerable parts)... just because something didnt explode doesnt mean it's not effectively dead

Anyone else having problem with calling for support?  I didn't have any issues with 1.52 but now when I'm about to call for support nothing happens? No options to choose support for my units... THis is getting better and better... :angry:

Just reverted to 1.52 and fire support is working correctly.
Also fire looks different, not looking good anymore as 1.52..

If you put empty vehicles on the map they are barely visible, but it looks fine on 1.52.

Just wonder why you change things nobody complains about.. Seriously do you want to lose players BIS?

• Like 1

Anyone else having problem with calling for support?  I didn't have any issues with 1.52 but now when I'm about to call for support nothing happens? No options to choose support for my units... THis is getting better and better... :angry:

If you put empty vehicles on the map they are barely visible, but it looks fine on 1.52.

Just wonder why you change things nobody complains about.. Seriously do you want to lose players BIS?

EXACTLY!!! Boggles my mind.
  • Like 1

Yep. Now just hopefully they could fix the remaining clipping issues were you get stuck and I believe still some falling through some balcony can still happen. Things still happen with the refix but it's still better than with the "fix" I rather like to be stuck restricted than die because of those issues.

The rotation point issue is not fixed at all, maybe improved but that's it. I still constantly fall from balconies or get stuck in objectes. Also, turning while in a door frame is impossible.

With regards to the support, I believe it may be due to the report that using support was causing crashes. Guess bis failed in fixing the crash and somehow support was instead broke.

EXACTLY!!! Boggles my mind.

Remember dev telling you that there are alot of moving parts and alot of hard work involved trying to push a new patch.

Bare this in mind when asking Devs is it ready yet, I'm so ready for this, whens it coming.... maybe you'll be now saying take your time Devs don't rush, get it right.

• Like 1

i'm really loving the new stamina commands. gives such interesting possibilities. one small request. would it be possible to get some holding breath related commands too? would be great to be able to mod that more easily too without having to disable it and replacing it entirely.

This is more a feedback about dev branch.

The new stamina was a big feature. You only need to look at the passionate debate that ensued on dev branch when it was first introduced. yeah it was kinda a big deal, game changing (not always for the better not here to argue that point).

My own opinion is it was rushed out. Which was a mistake considering as said above it was obviously an important feature change. I don't understand why.

It could have been adopted by a large number from the get go, had it been refined given more time and applied feedback .

This is the important part...

It wasn't refined. alot of positive feedback ignored . now it's out. And the general consensus is. how do I turn it off, how do I change it, this is shit. It didn't need to be like that. using the great feedback about sway being not right when prone compared to kneeling. about it's harness on weapons with bi pods and others about fatigue itself the balancing . All this seems to just have been ignored. Or no time to tweak due to keeping with the schedule. So I ask,what was the point. The point in spending all that development time, the the point of the feedback.

I realise it can be tweaked with time. But wouldn't it have been better getting essentials tweaked now and release next month. After the xmass sale period?? instead of introducing it now and having it in disarray over the holiday season. This isn't ment as a rant, maybe looking for insight from Devs into the possible oversight.

• Like 1

It could have been adopted by a large number from the get go, had it been refined given more time and applied feedback .

Considering how tightly wedded the switch to stamina was to the public presentation of Nexus I'm not sure that they would have omitted stamina without continuing to delay Nexus as a whole, though you'd have to ask them why they decided that now was the time. As a personal observation, I believe part of the reason for the reaction elsewhere is that this change occurred soon after the Steam Autumn Sale, thus being an unforeseen gameplay change for people who just got Arma 3... but it sounds like pushing Nexus back to next month would have just subjected Steam Holiday Sale players to the same unwelcome surprise instead/in addition.

As for the bit about "alot of positive feedback ignored"... considering how much of it was fundamentally against the idea of a stamina system, the actual specifics aside, and how dev elaboration on their own thinking didn't help sell the idea at all, I'm not sure that a mutually agreeable solution wanted was actually possible without having both mechanics simultaneously and in parallel (as one person noted, the simulating of both aerobic and anaerobic respiration). I don't recall seeing any dev state why they didn't go the same route as AFM.

I think one problem is that the new system is again ( like fatigue system) not properly explained. The only information you get is that hint at game start which links one to the biwiki. No new player will read or understand that. That's why I suggested to add a stamina showcase mission. A bit of running, crawling and shooting with the addition of some advanced hints would have done the job way better. And please don't tell me there is the boot camp campaign. No new player will play a campaign to understand a stamina system either.

I think one problem is that the new system is again ( like fatigue system) not properly explained. The only information you get is that hint at game start which links one to the biwiki. No new player will read or understand that. That's why I suggested to add a stamina showcase mission. A bit of running, crawling and shooting with the addition of some advanced hints would have done the job way better. And please don't tell me there is the boot camp campaign. No new player will play a campaign to understand a stamina system either.

Come to think of it, the first (or was it second?) mission of the Bootcamp campaign where Adams explains to the AAF, so smugly, how the old fatigue works is now absolutely pointless and teaches absolutely nothing. Poor guy. :D

• Like 6

How you like them apples Adams.

A good idea Revo. I agree about new players unlikely to click that link and go oooo ahhhhh interesting. A showcase be good. Or if not a link to the showcase trailer. hell even a dyslecxi YouTube one.( not sure how psyched he be promoting the new stamina).

I myself did the training with Adams to see how it was. And found it a decent set up for newbies but agree alot wouldn't bother doing a whole campaign for it. Not that the bootcamp campaign was bad. But a showcase be ideal.

Yep, a good tutorial video would help until you get a flood of 10,000 "1 posters" who state their business relations with BI are halted until they 'Cease and Desist all fatigue,tiredness, lack of sprinti-ness and all other lethargic inducing behaviours'.

then of course, a new rewrite of code will appear with the need for yet another video.

Same reason there are really no official AI guides...

Yep, a good tutorial video would help until you get a flood of 10,000 "1 posters" who state their business relations with BI are halted until they 'Cease and Desist all fatigue,tiredness, lack of sprinti-ness and all other lethargic inducing behaviours'.

then of course, a new rewrite of code will appear with the need for yet another video.

Same reason there are really no official AI guides...

I almost 100% certain that they won't rewrite the stamina system, therefore a showcase/video would need to be created once.

How you like them apples Adams.

Pretty much what I thought of him... evidently we think quite differently than quite a few people on these forums in that respect.

You could say that he literally walked right into his fate, but I definitely say that he was figuratively walking into it too. From watching Drawdown and the Bootcamp missions, I thought that the AAF had been trying to kill him specifically and things just spiraled out of control.

When the roadmap was released a few weeks ago, I was disappointed that DX12 was not mentioned anywhere.

Is the integration of DX12 completely scrapped of the roadmap, or is it something you are still working on?

The integration was mentioned here:

https://youtu.be/1VN1DOIl1bc?t=4m47s

The crosshair may not always purrfectly represent the actual aimpoint.

AI is not affected by camera shake at all, but there are are other systems that make the AIs aim go fubar after taking damage.

So been messin around with aimingAccuracy and seems AI's does not lower one bit while taking damage at all. Your saying some "other system" but why not just drastically lower their aA while they are injured as well as I think most would agree the AI stay a pretty lethal killing machine until they are put down regardles of injuries. Some of this is also due to the split second twitch they do when taking a bullet which happens so fast it barely registers and does not really disrupt them at all. Couple this with CSAT's armor and its no wonder people cry foul at fighting cyborgs rather than seemingly human AI that 'care for their respective 0 and 1 asses. Im still totally surprised and ecstatic really that AI subSkills are pliable in-mission as I thought they were set at mission start and thats it. Why not use them far more for all kinds of circumstances such as raising/lowering the combat values for various battle situations?

Next thing Ive noticed is that having any of the combat values but especially aimingAccuracy anywhere near '1' is just way too much -especially in Urban as it feels utterly unreal. Dropping AI values down into the hundreths ie .009 for basic infantry and .2 to .4 for elite makes them far more fun to play against in urban though surely sometimes they are a little too dumb. Doubling these for mid to long range firefights and countryside also brings it closer to a realistic shootout with many casings spilling before death. Another situation a normally 100% successful assault from NATO on irregulars tables are turned when armor shows up due to fear and morale drop -via lowering aA (this without armor even firing 1 shot).

Been using a 'reward system' for successful kills and squads in that their pathetically low aA gets raised after every battle so that when you actually have an 'Elite' AI in your squad -you really protect and utilize him -great fun.

Just my findings on messing around :P

So been messin around with aimingAccuracy and seems AI's does not lower one bit while taking damage at all.

It doesn't. The AI sub-skills don't change over the course of a mission. In this case the aimingAccuracy governs how quickly the AI will recover from the hit and whether it will still be able to steady aim after the injury.

So e.g.

AI w/ skill 0.2, prone stance, is able to steady its aim after a hit in ~4 seconds. If the damage is higher than ~0.15 it will never be able to steady the aim completely again.

AI w/ skill 1.0, prone stance, is able to steady its aim after a hit in less than a second. It will never be able to steady the aim completely only if it has taken more than ~0.5 damage.

And this is how injured AI looks when aiming. (AI's otherwise fully rested)

g2bDNjO.gif

• Like 2

So i dont know where to post this but oh well.

ARMA 3 needs a touch of ARMA 2. I started a while ago playing arma 3 never having tried arma 2. Today I downloaded arma 2 and played in the editor.... OMG.

Ospreys, BlackHawks, Hueys. amazing helicopters and airplanes. Arma 3 needs the vehicles arma 2 has.

Just saying.... its amazing.

• Like 1

So i dont know where to post this but oh well.

ARMA 3 needs a touch of ARMA 2. I started a while ago playing arma 3 never having tried arma 2. Today I downloaded arma 2 and played in the editor.... OMG.

Ospreys, BlackHawks, Hueys. amazing helicopters and airplanes. Arma 3 needs the vehicles arma 2 has.

Just saying.... its amazing.

There isn't a place to post that... given BI have already released Arma 2/TKOH files for modders to take over and port themselves, (which has already be done), try the Mod section.

Just found the reason for some weird ground texture flickering where the game can't decide between water and ground texture. Not sure is it called z-fighting or just some flickering but here you go:

So if you've some object near your view it starts. That example video is taken far away from the ground. You can see the same happen if you watch for example behind you with the gunner view in UAV and there's maybe an edge of the UAV close to the gunner view. That edge doesn't need to be shown in the view but having it close enough already makes that kind of an effect. I before have been thought that it just happens because the ground is far away but by an accident I just realized the real cause of it. I guess this also has effect on building flickering/z-fighting? When you're watching through a scope the scope is near your view and has probably the same effect?

I guess this is already a known thing (and likely not fixable) for some but posting just in case.

Depends on background or on night missions, you don't know where the stamina bar ends.
This would be a simple solution.

8sl6ZlT.png

• Like 1

Interesting find, but there is unfortunately no fix for that.

Just found the reason for some weird ground texture flickering where the game can't decide between water and ground texture. Not sure is it called z-fighting or just some flickering but here you go:

So if you've some object near your view it starts. That example video is taken far away from the ground. You can see the same happen if you watch for example behind you with the gunner view in UAV and there's maybe an edge of the UAV close to the gunner view. That edge doesn't need to be shown in the view but having it close enough already makes that kind of an effect. I before have been thought that it just happens because the ground is far away but by an accident I just realized the real cause of it. I guess this also has effect on building flickering/z-fighting? When you're watching through a scope the scope is near your view and has probably the same effect?

I guess this is already a known thing (and likely not fixable) for some but posting just in case.

Yeah, that's what I tried to (poorly) explain earlier in this thread.

z-buffer's precision is not enough to tell the ground and sea beneath it apart when there's also some object near the camera. The buffer's range is dynamic and its precision limited, so it fails when it tries to put all polygons from 1m to 2000m in order, because their distance from camera is rounded to same value. But when there's stuff only at 1000-2000m away, the ground and sea have appropriately different values.

The near object doesn't have to be actually visible, only really close to be taken in account in the calculation.

Back in Arma 2 (I think) the issue was even bigger at one point, but devs somehow made the object culling near the edges more aggressive to alleviate the flickering.

But it's not really fixable as far as I know.