I have this question that bothers me. Dogs are broken in Arma 3, were always broken since I remember. But dogs are included in Arma 3. Shotguns are also (allegedly) broken, but not included in Arma 3. So what makes broken dogs better than broken shotguns?

I have this question that bothers me. Dogs are broken in Arma 3, were always broken since I remember. But dogs are included in Arma 3. Shotguns are also (allegedly) broken, but not included in Arma 3. So what makes broken dogs better than broken shotguns?

Dogs are cute! *jk*

As I remember correctly they had been removed from modules for a while during the Alpha, are they back now?

Using the animal module, only two animals will move. The rest will stand frozen. Sometimes the frozen ones turn to face another direction, and sometimes they slide along the ground, but they play no animation at all.
Also Dogs and Snakes had the issue in 1.46, even rabbits had strange recursive animation issues, would check all animals not just goats/chicken/sheep.
It gives me a disproportionate amount of pleasure to see the return of properly functioning sheep, goats and chickens. Thank you devs!

As noted above, dogs still stay rooted to the spot (although at least animating some of the time), and snakes are totally paralysed.

And I might just make mention of the rabbit plague too!

Hello, please note that I will completely review all animal animations and rework the configs to provide better feel of animal behavior (there is also possibility of little enrichment of animal animations as well). This is planned for 1.50 update because we want to be sure everything is polished and will not cause any other issues. Thanks for your feedback and patience.

Hello, please note that I will completely review all animal animations and rework the configs to provide better feel of animal behavior (there is also possibility of little enrichment of animal animations as well). This is planned for 1.50 update because we want to be sure everything is polished and will not cause any other issues. Thanks for your feedback and patience.

I have enough patience, seems you are putting some love into this. fair play. I will love starting up arma on 1.50 in the midst of battle see a dog or sheep in a glorious stride, then adjust my scope for the range.....

Why, because I just felt like destroying something beautiful. :D

I have enough patience, seems you are putting some love into this. fair play. I will love starting up arma on 1.50 in the midst of battle see a dog or sheep in a glorious stride, then adjust my scope for the range.....

Why, because I just felt like destroying something beautiful. :D

There is a special place in hell for people like you ;P

---------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to report a small bug I noticed:

When you call BIS_fnc_codePerformance from the debug console, and reopen the debug console afterwards, the console displays the last entry before the call of bis_fnc_codePerformance.

That's kinda annoying because you clipboard gets also overwritte with the time from the function. So you always have to paste the code into an external sqf file. Very tedious.

Edited by R3vo

Regarding pistols in the holster, can we perhaps have a key bind option added in controls for holstering the weapon? Say if i only have a pistol, i can set a key to holster that pistol, and have my hands free.

that's great to hear! it might seem not important for a military game but i'm really glad there is a focus on these side things still. i was kind of afraid animals would be one of those things that get abandoned and eventually kind of disappear.

i'm really curious about the species we get for Tanoa tbh. not expecting anything crazy like tigers or something but after the cows, sheep, goats, dogs in arma 2 i was kind underwhelmed to only see snakes in addition while overall species count decreased in arma 3.

is there any chance we'll get four leg terrain IK or even just a engine side setvector solution for when bigger (..than rabbit basically) animals stand on steep slopes? would be great to see some minor state of the art tech additions. the engine is kind of behind there.

Regarding pistols in the holster, can we perhaps have a key bind option added in controls for holstering the weapon? Say if i only have a pistol, i can set a key to holster that pistol, and have my hands free.
This is tricky... at last check the slots themselves are considered "equipping", meaning that the only way to go hands-free is to have container space for a pistol and backpack space for a SMG or assault rifle/MXM/MX SW. (Vanilla backpacks do not support any other longer-range rifle or machine gun.)

As with several things... VBS2/VBS3 covers this. (It specifies "Weapon on back" but the corresponding function mentions holstering as well as shouldering.)

This is tricky... at last check the slots themselves are considered "equipping", meaning that the only way to go hands-free is to have container space for a pistol and backpack space for a SMG or assault rifle/MXM/MX SW. (Vanilla backpacks do not support any other longer-range rifle or machine gun.)

As with several things... VBS2/VBS3 covers this. (It specifies "Weapon on back" but the corresponding function mentions holstering as well as shouldering.)

I thought we could do this back in OFP, but it was a feature that just kinda got lost somewhere along the way. (IIRC ArmA2, maybe missing animations or transitions or something)

I thought we could do this back in OFP, but it was a feature that just kinda got lost somewhere along the way. (IIRC ArmA2, maybe missing animations or transitions or something)

Yeah, it worked in Flashpoint, but I think it was lost in Arma 1 already. At least lowering your pistol now works, but yeah, holstering would be nice.

The zoomed in/out FOVs have had some drastic changes, but surprisingly I haven't seen any player feedback on them.

Is everyone just ok with them? Because, in my opinion, especially the new naked eye zoom in is a bit too much. It's like x2.5 zoom, compared to the old x1.8 something.

A comparison image to illustrate:

ciOQfFzm.jpg

Stable v1.46 vs. v1.48RC. 16:10 screen, default fov values in the config. Click for a bigger image.

Although I suck at trigonometry, I believe the degrees are correct.

The zoomed in/out FOVs have had some drastic changes, but surprisingly I haven't seen any player feedback on them.

Is everyone just ok with them? Because, in my opinion, especially the new naked eye zoom in is a bit too much. It's like x2.5 zoom, compared to the old x1.8 something.

http://i.imgur.com/ciOQfFzm.jpg

Stable v1.46 vs. v1.48RC. 16:10 screen, default fov values in the config. Click for a bigger image.

I think I'm okay with them. Now I won't have to resort to custom values in order to have a tiny bit higher FOV.

Because, in my opinion, especially the new naked eye zoom in is a bit too much. It's like x2.5 zoom, compared to the old x1.8 something.

All of the scope magnification values for vehicles and weapon sights alike are now based on the new naked eye FOV value when "zoomed in" (e.g. a 10x scope is 10x the "zoomed in" naked eye), so I don't feel it's too much compared to other optics in the game.

And I think it's fine in terms of visual acuity for 1x eyesight.

Well for a naked eye (no optics) it would be fine ,but why they changed zoom values on all scopes? that was unnecessary since it was fine before

Good , now i hope this fix will change that random car explosion

Now try to fix helicopters :P

another bites the dust

Edited by RobertHammer

Good , now i hope this fix will change that random car explosion

Now try to fix helicopters :P

MP collisions of static non-local helicopters / airplanes.

MP collisions of static non-local helicopters / airplanes.

Hopefully I can stop telling my players the enemy AI have been sabotaging helicopters/ :)

i'm really curious about the species we get for Tanoa tbh.

Human species desperatly needs some women. :D

You've raised an interesting point. The new zoomed view is 3x magnification of normal view, old was 2x. The angles in your screenshot are just a degree or two off what I get. Horizontal FOV (in radians) = 2 * atan (configFov * Arma3ProfileFovLeft), making the zoomed in view on a 16/10 display 33.4°.

According to this wikipedia article to achieve normal human visual acuity (20/20 vision) "the critical gap that needs to be resolved is 1 arc minute". If this is interpreted as meaning 1 pixel per arc minute, and you are using a 1920x1200 display, then the new zoomed in view is actually pretty close to the real abilities of a normal human eye (as 33.4° = 33.4 x 60 = 2004 arc minutes ≈ 1920 pixels).

As for the gameplay, I think the increase zoom generally brings the player and AI closer together in ironsights shooting accuracy. One negative point is the AI's lack of ability at spotting distant targets is now even more obvious.

Well for a naked eye (no optics) it would be fine ,but why they changed zoom values on all scopes? that was unnecessary since it was fine before

The scopes didn't change, just the naked eye ironsights and collimators (actually the night sight did also get better, but it was hopeless before anyway)

The increased FOV is a welcomed change, compared to the A2 zoom FOV A3 was previously off by a noticeable amount making it hard to engage at range without optics or just spot things while running around. Glad to see this make it in.

Loving all these little bits that are appearing recently, rounding off a lot of stuff nicely.

old was 2x.

1.9x according to this

Just tested again

0.9x normal as before

2.8x new zoom in

0.6x zoom out, same as before

Edited by Killzone_Kid

You've raised an interesting point. The new zoomed view is 3x magnification of normal view, old was 2x. The angles in your screenshot are just a degree or two off what I get. Horizontal FOV (in radians) = 2 * atan (configFov * Arma3ProfileFovLeft), making the zoomed in view on a 16/10 display 33.4°.

According to this wikipedia article to achieve normal human visual acuity (20/20 vision) "the critical gap that needs to be resolved is 1 arc minute". If this is interpreted as meaning 1 pixel per arc minute, and you are using a 1920x1200 display, then the new zoomed in view is actually pretty close to the real abilities of a normal human eye (as 33.4° = 33.4 x 60 = 2004 arc minutes ≈ 1920 pixels).

Thanks for the math, ceeeb. :)

My accurate value for the zoomed was also exactly 33.4.

My resolution is only 1680x1050, so I can't achieve the 1 arc minute acuity. But then again, my eyesight isn't 20/20 either, so I guess it's realistic for me. :)

Still, it just feels unnatural in a game. Realistic maybe, but unnatural. Needs some getting used to at least.

0.9x normal as before

2.8x new zoom in

0.6x zoom out, same as before

Zoomed out definitely isn't the same in 1.46 and 1.48.

Zoom in is 34 degrees :butbut:, no wonder it felt bit too much. Btw DayZ dev team calculated or something that 45 degrees is realistic http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/226553-status-report-30-jun-2015/ so actually the older zoom was pretty close. Actually that 45 is likely what I'd prefer the most because it's bit more than before but not too much.

Yeah I'm still trying to get used to that zoom in.

Zoomed out definitely isn't the same in 1.46 and 1.48.

Unless it has been changed in between the video and 1.46, it is still the same. Also I don't remember seeing changelog mention about zoom out values change.