No, it's the other way around. Now you can take attachments from a weapon on the ground without picking it up. It works the same way as you take items from backpacks, uniforms and vests on the ground by double clicking on the "container".

You can not put attachments on the weapon that is not in your hands. As da12thMonkey explained, it even makes sense in a way.

So more clutter to already cluttered action menu?

Not exactly, it get's rid of one annoyance, which means you don't have to spend time picking back up all your guns and mags after you grabbed an attachment from an enemies gun. Mag's don't just magically fall out of your backpack when you pick up an enemies weapon ya know.

There's nothing added in the action menu. It works in the inventory menu. Just like it should be.

What? No, what gives you that impression?

Inventory behaves as before, now you can double click the gun when one is there in the left side menu and it will show you all attachments you can take from it as it does with all the containers on the unit before.

I'll just explain it in a picture for everyone:

Gdcojm3.jpg

Edited by Sniperwolf572

You can only take items from weapon. Once taken you cannot put them back the same way. I guess this is a bug?

You can only take items from weapon. Once taken you cannot put them back the same way. I guess this is a bug?

Its the same with the rest of the inventory. Trying to put a vest, uniform, helmet or NVGs back that you have taken from a fallen enemy/friendly results in them simply being thrown on the ground and not actually put back onto the unit...

Answer to this is:

Rather by constraint, I'm afraid.

We'll have another chat about the progress next week (which is splendid!), but it would appear that some issues prevent us from implementing this functionality.

And an argument which has me convinced it should really stay this way:

I think it's fair enough.

If you were looting some poor dead bastard's corpse you probably wouldn't go through all the bother of carefully screwing all the sights and stuff back on to his weapon anyway - just dump it in a heap on the floor.

Can always pick up the weapon itself, screw the items back on and place the weapon back down if you wished to make such a concerted effort to leave things how you found them.

Fair enough, but why doesn't it work with crates? Cannot open weapon in crate like you can open it when in weaponholder.

Yes, I agree that putting attachments back on to weapons on the ground is neither necessary nor authentic.

Should PDW go into hangun slot?

Probably not. The animations always draws handgun from leg holster. No PDW would fit in that. This is why handgun-slot should be handgun only in my opinion. I would however accept PDW type weapons into the launcher slot, when no launcher is carried. That would make more sense. It might however make snipers overpowered because it gives them both superior long range effectiveness and superior CQB effectiveness, although I know some players actually want that.

Probably not. The animations always draws handgun from leg holster. No PDW would fit in that. This is why handgun-slot should be handgun only in my opinion. I would however accept PDW type weapons into the launcher slot, when no launcher is carried. That would make more sense. It might however make snipers overpowered because it gives them both superior long range effectiveness and superior CQB effectiveness, although I know some players actually want that.

Well there are some funky leg rigs for the MP7 and the B&T out there;-)

I am hoping we get a change to allow the launcher slot to truly be "secondary weapon". We've had the encumberance penalties for ages now and a launcher is much heavier than a SMG or compact MBR....... I can dream;-)

You can put a SMG/PDW type weapon into your backpack though, right? It's just that it's hard to get too if the need for it would suddenly arise :)

You can put a SMG/PDW type weapon into your backpack though, right? It's just that it's hard to get too if the need for it would suddenly arise :)

Yea but on backup weapons could be on AT slot like ACE mod did

Yea but on backup weapons could be on AT slot like ACE mod did

That would be awesome. I actually hoped that to be implemented in Marksman DLC.

Problem with the back pack solution is that not all weapons are configured to fit in one (ABR) so you're left dropping it when using the other secondary.

I am hoping we get a change to allow the launcher slot to truly be "secondary weapon". We've had the encumberance penalties for ages now and a launcher is much heavier than a SMG or compact MBR....... I can dream;-)

problem in this engine is that many systems are far from flexible. there is a close connection between animation sets and weapon slots. you can test it by changing the parameter "type"on weapons or simply using certain simulation types (config). your weapon will automatically be assigned to one of the premade weapon slots/animation sets according to the changes you made.

and then certain features like per weapon hand animations are tied to certain slots (only rifle i think). all this seems to be deeply rooted. that's probably why it won't ever change unless they reset most systems and rework them in a new iteration.

i'm not saying it's impossible to change but you know how it is. it's been like this since ofp. i'd also love a more flexible system with all the nice new inventory functionality in arma 3.

problem in this engine is that many systems are far from flexible. there is a close connection between animation sets and weapon slots. you can test it by changing the parameter "type"on weapons or simply using certain simulation types (config). your weapon will automatically be assigned to one of the premade weapon slots/animation sets according to the changes you made.

and then certain features like per weapon hand animations are tied to certain slots (only rifle i think). all this seems to be deeply rooted. that's probably why it won't ever change unless they reset most systems and rework them in a new iteration.

i'm not saying it's impossible to change but you know how it is. it's been like this since ofp. i'd also love a more flexible system with all the nice new inventory functionality in arma 3.

Thanks for the info Bad Benson - explains why what I (and probably a few people) thought was an easy change actually isn't. TBH I'd settle for the change in vanilla config to allow all non-antimaterial and MG weapons to fit in the largest backpack as a work around....

cheers

I'm not sure if this should go here, but during the livestream I thought all items weapons etc. which are not part of a DLC should also get an icon.

Maybe a Arma III icon like this. In a small version of course.

I'm not sure if this should go here, but during the livestream I thought all items weapons etc. which are not part of a DLC should also get an icon.

Maybe a Arma III icon like this. In a small version of course.

I'd have to disagree, I think it's more intuitive, cleaner, and easier to separate DLC from vanilla content with no icon. What would be gained by giving it an icon?

I'd have to disagree, I think it's more intuitive, cleaner, and easier to separate DLC from vanilla content with no icon. What would be gained by giving it an icon?

Idk, I just thought it would look more "complete".

Another thing that just came to my mind is: Would it be possible, at least for modders, to configure the new bipod slot to allow other attachments like flashlights and IR lasers?

Edited by R3vo

Another thing that just came to my mind is: Would it be possible, at least for modders, to configure the new bipod slot to allow other attachments like flashlights and IR lasers?

Technically you can already do that by linking a different proxy to the relevant slot. Theoretically could configure an ACOG to go on the side rail....why you would want to do that is another matter, but I think its possible. I assume the same will go for bipods, however that is simply conjecture at this point.

As to the "default content should get a default icon" discussion, I have to agree with vegeta897. It would simply add more clutter, and you would lose the ability to differentiate between modded content and vanilla assets.

Edited by Jackal326

Idk, I just thought it would look more "complete".

OCD sucks.

If I upgrade to Dev branch and published mission on Steam, will players who subscribe have to use Dev branch to play scenario?

Just thought it'd be constructive to discussion to leave this here. This video details the new enhancements to weapon audio affected by varying environments and distance. Made it because I thought that the devs in the stream had their voice to where it overtook most of the game audio.

Spoilers: Supersonic bullet cracks are really f%#$ing awesome.