Yeah weapon resting is interesting animal.Is so natural that you don't even notice.However if you focus on

crosshair you can see how it takes 3 seconds to focus when you are near object which weapon could be rested

on.On the second note I think because of that, adaptive crosshair is disabled (when weapon intersects object,

crosshair snaps on object.

I don't like clutter UI, I agree.If I would choose about icon and as is now, I would decide for later.

Now I think there is a lack of visualization that the weapon is rested

Animation would signify resting better then any icon/shaking/tumble in my view.

There are 2 ways to do that; left hand animation of resting (L

)

or gun propped (maybe snapped) on the object (top left or right on the object depending where weapon is)

So to sum it up, the algorithem that detects object is great, but

the lack of knowing when gun is rested feels weird.

Edited by enex

I think it does need a little bit of an indicator - IRL you'd have a sort physical perception of supporting the weight of the weapon on something other than your hands, which is a lot less subtle than observing the sway through the scope. With magnified optics on heavy, inertia-laden weapons it's quite easy to tell the difference in sway ingame, but on parallax-free optics with a light weapon it's harder to notice the change in sway when rested. You kind of want to know the weapon is rested even before you bring the sights up to your eye.

without any additional UI clutter.

Maybe something subtle like a colour change or a border/frame in the stance indicator or weapon HUD? Maybe even an opacity change on one of the UI elements

I don't really fancy any more icons popping up in the UI either, but some slight change to the regular UI might be enough to catch the eye and make the player feel like they're in a different state to normal, could be enough.

Apologies for the confusion, we outlined this in a bit detail in the previous BRITREP:

You can try it out for yourself now... :cool:

I don't think there was any confusion I read REP many times and I find it too abstract.

"Quote"Our Recoil Overhaul aims to make the mechanic more fluent by correcting some existing behaviour and rewarding the intelligent use of stances and movement speeds. Overall, this development contributes to our goal of making firing a weapon simple to do, and rewarding to master."

That is why I posted this questions about recoil overhaul: What existing behaviour? How is it more fluent?

Edited by enex

I think it does need a little bit of an indicator - IRL you'd have a sort physical perception of supporting the weight of the weapon on something other than your hands, which is a lot less subtle than observing the sway through the scope. With magnified optics on heavy, inertia-laden weapons it's quite easy to tell the difference in sway ingame, but on parallax-free optics with a light weapon it's harder to notice the change in sway when rested. You kind of want to know the weapon is rested even before you bring the sights up to your eye.

Maybe something subtle like a colour change or a border/frame in the stance indicator or weapon HUD? Maybe even an opacity change on one of the UI elements

I don't really fancy any more icons popping up in the UI either, but some slight change to the regular UI might be enough to catch the eye and make the player feel like they're in a different state to normal, could be enough.

I like the idea of integrating it into the stance indicator, but would that cause issues, if someone wants do disable the stance indicator but keep the resting one?

That is why I posted this questions about recoil overhaul: What existing behaviour? How is it more fluent?

In short, the new recoil has a number of small adjustments (e.g., the introduction of sight misalignment) together with new parameters (e.g., adjustable limits for lateral sway), plus a different way of handling animations. To paraphrase my colleague, this means that the shooter's body should respond more fluently to the series of consecutive kick-backs (e.g., not always switch back to the default position instantly when the next kick-back occurs).

We try to use OPREPs to offer more specific details, but we've not found the time to thrash out a blog post on recoil; however, a new thread popped up over here to gather / discuss recoil. I encourage you to share any additional observations / concerns over there, thanks!

Best.

RiE

Now this explains technical details lot more in depth!Much needed, thanks.

Hey guys,

since wepaon handling currently is a top notch priority, what do you think about this?

Something that's been bothering me from the very beginning.

My Arma keeps crashing when pressing the Exit button in the main menu, since I've changed to dev branch.

Hey guys,

since wepaon handling currently is a top notch priority, what do you think about this?

It would be great.Smooth transitions rather snapping are better looking and more realistic.

Hey guys,

Fantastic idea.

on the subject of polishing the rifle experience, it'd be very good to look at the legacy distance the gun seem held in front of the eyes. The sights are simply too far away based to get a proper sight picture. im talking iron sights/close range sights. It looks like the weapon is being held away at arms length. I know peripheral vision is a considration, but on right clicking the choice is made to focus on the target, not have a chameleon's view around you as well. Toadies weapons have a propotionately closer in eye position that i think is close to being absolutely spot on.

When talking about the distance between eyes and weapon, I would also love to see the camera zoom of magnified 3D-scopes increased. This would make the scope appear larger and more monitor resolution would be used for the scope instead of the outside part. At the moment the circle through which you look through a 3D is too small, even on a 1080p monitor it is much harder to aim precisely compared to Arma 2, where scopes used more pixels of your monitor.

I maybe spotted one reason for crash. In my mission AI vehicles get deleted when player get far and spawned back when near again. I teleported away and back when the previous AI vehicle was deleted. Saw the new one get spawned, it seemed to collide with invisible shape (from the deleted vehicle?) and instantly game crashed. Possible it just jumped from ground and maybe the crash was from something else. But just in case, here is the dump-files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8emlukdttwpqvg/Arma%203%20Crash%20Dumps%202015-02-20.7z?dl=0

Edit: Could be something else, the latest build seem to crash quite much. Didnt get crashes for days before that.

Edited by SaOk

Yeah. Once you line up a shot and you know you will have to make successive follow-up shots, it is mandatory to know beforehand whether your weapon is rested or not. This is one of the things that the player is "entitled" to, meaning that in reality you would know whether the weapon is rested or not.

Added: Unconfigured samples for weapon sound improvements (more details in a future SITREP)

I have a feeling that these samples are environmental effects for the weapons. One can only hope :)

I have a feeling that these samples are environmental effects for the weapons. One can only hope :)

Correct. (twice in one day?!)

This data relates to the progress vaguely outlined in the Audio Roadmap on improving the connection between weapons sounds and the location of the shot.

Once there's legitimate progress to report, we'll be sure to drop it into a 'REP.

Best,

RiE

This data relates to the progress vaguely outlined in the Audio Roadmap on improving the connection between weapons sounds and the location of the shot.

Once there's legitimate progress to report, we'll be sure to drop it into a 'REP.

Best,

RiE

Will it be a BANGREP? :p

Best,

RiE

Fantastic news !

It's actually my fault, I'm sorry, current version is 129406 indeed :icon_evil:

It's actually my fault, I'm sorry, current version is 129406 indeed :icon_evil:

Pressed 7 instead of 6... guess too much bouncing :P

Anyone else having a problem using freelook when diving? Looking up or down will actually move you in that direction, freelooking to the sides works as normal.

Confirmed. not only while driving, this is in General. Free look up an own is also connected to movement up and down. This caused me soo many issues while swimming it's absurd.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Found a problem. Spawn KUMA, Turn out. Then, fire a few rounds. Seems fine? Ok, now press Manual Fire while Turned out. Then, Turn in with Manual Fire still on. Fire. Notice while your turned in, you are now able to fire your MK-20... Inside the Tank...

Confirmed. not only while driving, this is in General. Free look up an own is also connected to movement up and down. This caused me soo many issues while swimming it's absurd.

Thing is, you're already looking up (relative to your body) when swimming forwards underwater, to look "proper" up (relative to the sea-floor) you'd have to break your own neck. Looking down should obviously not be an issue (relative to your body you're looking straight ahead).