It's an important item because that aspect of "realistic balancing" (that is, including real-world downsides) was implemented even before this feature itself.That seems only applicable for vehicles that don't have a "commander's periscope" though...? (Thanks to the inclusion of turret elevation.)

Yes I was refering to MBTs, which don't have an elevateable turret (yet)

I disagree. Now that vehicle inertia is being implemented that should help take care of all those who wish to operate their .50 BMG from the top of a tank. I think a bit of a storm-in-a-teacup is being brewed and people are having nightmares of hordes of people operating Zafir's from atop their T100s while storming through the AO.

You are right, there aren't many uses for these features, but I don't think inertia has anything to do with it. Even if inertia didn't exist, the Co-pilot in the MH-9 is yet another FFV seat to the ones already there, although with the ability to pilot the helicopter so if you want to risk it, you can solo pilot a littlebird and toss grenades out the side just because you can.

The tank crew FFV isn't of much use for majority of the modern tanks. Both the range and firepower of most machineguns on tanks are much scarier prospect than a turned out commander with a sniper rifle or an MG. And in most cases, why stick your head out with binoculars when you have these high powered, 360 degree, thermal and night vision optics on top of your turret usually right where your head would be or probably even higher.

The only benefit of personal weapons while turned out, defending your vehicle when the enemy is right next of you (killing that pesky infantryman that's hugging your tank or a roof right next to you) is invalidated due to vertical (and horizontal) rotation limitations imposed on it (you can't aim low or high enough). And even then, I'd rather not turn out and get shot. So you might as well not use it except for show I guess.

I'm actually hard pressed to even think of a reason where me turned out beats whatever my tank is equipped with in an even slightly current scenario. I suppose this feature really shines in historical scenarios where there is actual recon benefit to turning out.

You are right, there aren't many uses for these features, but I don't think inertia has anything to do with it. Even if inertia didn't exist, the Co-pilot in the MH-9 is yet another FFV seat to the ones already there, although with the ability to pilot the helicopter so if you want to risk it, you can solo pilot a littlebird and toss grenades out the side just because you can.

The tank crew FFV isn't of much use for majority of the modern tanks. Both the range and firepower of most machineguns on tanks are much scarier prospect than a turned out commander with a sniper rifle or an MG. And in most cases, why stick your head out with binoculars when you have these high powered, 360 degree, thermal and night vision optics on top of your turret usually right where your head would be or probably even higher.

The only benefit of personal weapons while turned out, defending your vehicle when the enemy is right next of you (killing that pesky infantryman that's hugging your tank or a roof right next to you) is invalidated due to vertical (and horizontal) rotation limitations imposed on it (you can't aim low or high enough). And even then, I'd rather not turn out and get shot. So you might as well not use it except for show I guess.

I'm actually hard pressed to even think of a reason where me turned out beats whatever my tank is equipped with in an even slightly current scenario. I suppose this feature really shines in historical scenarios where there is actual recon benefit to turning out.

Guess most things you said are true. However, I think future mods will make good use of the FFV for tank crew members. For example, turning out will be a huge improvement for the tanks of the RHSE mod, since those T-72 and T-80 don't have thermals or remotely controlled turrets.

Despite all my ranting I am still already contemplating a few different scenario types where this could become a focus or strong gameplay element of a very specific scenario. Unfortuantely I've yet to be able to test the dev-build changes (damn you full time employment!) however if they function the way I believe they do than even the scenario you mentioned where a little bird co-pilot could fly and throw grenades at the same time could lead to interesting situations where an MH-9 is using coloured smoke to mark targets for an FO or CAS etc.

As for turning out in tanks it's something I still do even in the modern tanks we have available now as I simply find it far easier to co-ordinate my driver when I have a clearer view with my head out the hatch. Keep in mind I primarily play with a full human crew so I'm not sure how the AI is affected. At least now in a panic situation I can shoot back without having to turn in and readjust my optics package.

So I suppose this is causing numerous CTDs:

Any solution? I remember there was a parameter to use another memory allocation system...

edit: wait, I think it's a problem of my Windows page file....

edit 2: yeah, that fixed it. I don't know why I had it so small. Still, first game that gave me a problem with it!

How did you fix this? I am getting same error

Todays dev-branch update was released a few minutes ago :)

Eager for changelog, but I know devs are busy doing other stuff.

Todays dev-branch update was released a few minutes ago :)

Eager for changelog, but I know devs are busy doing other stuff.

Yeah!But I think is because of Dna absence.

The upside is that it can be fun to fire up Arma and try to spot the differences before you actually know what they changed :)

Edit: Okay. Almost immediately after starting it up I notice a difference that is less than fun. I try to enter VR Arsenal and I get error during loading screen. It then freezes on the loading screen and I have to leave the game using ALT+F4.

Screen-shot of error message: http://sv.tinypic.com/m/in78nn/1

Edit2: Same thing happens when I try to access arsenal from within a mission.

Edited by Brisse

The upside is that it can be fun to fire up Arma and try to spot the differences before you actually know what they changed :)

Edit: Okay. Almost immediately after starting it up I notice a difference that is less than fun. I try to enter VR Arsenal and I get error during loading screen. It then freezes on the loading screen and I have to leave the game using ALT+F4.

Screen-shot of error message: http://sv.tinypic.com/m/in78nn/1

Edit2: Same thing happens when I try to access arsenal from within a mission.

Goddammit, Brisse. The changelog isn't even out yet and you already broke the game.

Just kidding, good spot. :)

This http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22561 and this http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22662 have been in the dev branch for weeks now. Surely you devs cant just let this slip into the next stable update!

Also it seems that the static GMG's zeroing is way off. is this dev branch only?

Edited by JHard
GMG stuff

Having read the last OPREP, I was wondering if you would consider doing the same thing you did for initSpeed to audible/visibleFire? The reason would be that so far I do not see a possibility to make an internally suppressed weapon without its own ammo type, since visibleFire and associated properties are for CfgAmmo only. Which is bad news for e.g. using the same magazines on an MP5 and MP5SD.

I made this proposal a while ago on the issue tracker, basically it would be possible to solve this by using something similar to initSpeed, or by allowing weapon attachments to be permanent and not removable.

The Marksman DLC seems like the ideal place to introduce such a feature (*hint hint nudge nudge*) :D

Having read the last OPREP, I was wondering if you would consider doing the same thing you did for initSpeed to audible/visibleFire? The reason would be that so far I do not see a possibility to make an internally suppressed weapon without its own ammo type, since visibleFire and associated properties are for CfgAmmo only. Which is bad news for e.g. using the same magazines on an MP5 and MP5SD.

I made this proposal a while ago on the issue tracker, basically it would be possible to solve this by using something similar to initSpeed, or by allowing weapon attachments to be permanent and not removable.

The Marksman DLC seems like the ideal place to introduce such a feature (*hint hint nudge nudge*) :D

I second this, and once I can remember my password for the issue tracker, I'll be up-voting that ticket.

How did you fix this? I am getting same error

By the look of it he increased the size of his page file/virtual memory.

Guess most things you said are true. However, I think future mods will make good use of the FFV for tank crew members. For example, turning out will be a huge improvement for the tanks of the RHSE mod, since those T-72 and T-80 don't have thermals or remotely controlled turrets.

Yes indeed! ... also, THIS

I hope BIS will bring some 2D scope improvements for the Marksman DLC - like the proper

and like
effects (recoil effect , scope shadows when moving) Edited by RobertHammer

I hope BIS will bring some 2D scope improvements for the Marksman DLC - like the proper

I've seen some modded scopes that don't change the reticle when you zoom. However, I really want to see variable zoom for optics, instead of the toggle we have now.

and like
effects (recoil effect , scope shadows when moving)

Good point to Marksman DLC + 1,000,000 votes :hm::rthumb: certainly a good thing to implement. :yay:

Added: First Focal plane reticle support

The arsenal is giving me script errors and causes the game to get stuck in a loop at the moment. Is this because of the workover, or is my game due for a file validation? Last time I did that it changed nothing, and I already had errors like this for the past two versions (but no stuck game).

Kf33jF0b.jpg

Edited by InstaGoat

I've seen some modded scopes that don't change the reticle when you zoom. However, I really want to see variable zoom for optics, instead of the toggle we have now.

Point is that all armas only properly supported the Second Focal plane scope which means that the reticle doesn't move and stays same when you zoom in

arma 3 does support First Focal Plane scope but only as toggle step method which isn't good and it doesn't represent the real First Focal Plane scopes and how they work

it should be like this >

Edited by RobertHammer

Point is that all armas only properly supported the Second Focal plane scope which means that the reticle doesn't move and stays same when you zoom in

arma 3 does support First Focal Plane scope but only as toggle step method which isn't good and it doesn't represent the real First Focal Plane scopes and how they work

it should be like this >

Thats pretty good.

While they are at it they should bring mil turrets too.

Bullet Purveyor: I'm pretty sure subsonic ammo was possible before. There were some limitations. Now there is one less :)

About the first focal plane discussion: A very large majority of military scopes are fixed zoom, usually x10. Variable zoom is VERY VERY rare for military use. On the civilian market it's the opposite though. It's very common there. Why am I saying this? Maybe just to say I don't consider it a high priority, but I would not complain if it was actually implemented of course.

I wonder regarding ballistics... When you shoot a 9x21mm round, it would be Supersonic upon leaving the barrel... but after some time it would go below supersonic speed and this would completely alter the ballistic curve once at subsonic speed. Is this taken into account too?

What you guys think... bullet in chamber accounting will be added too? And i still would love different reload modes( Tactical, dry, quick/speed with dropping the mag on the ground) and speeds based on stance, stamina, etc.

it should be like this >

Damn that looks really nice. I never actually got around to trying ACE in Arma 2.