• Fixed: Problem with sorting weapons using MRCO optics

Oh nice, you fixed that one. I remember Pettka saying it was a bit of a mystery as to what was causing it.

Was the alpha sorting changed in the MRCO model, or something inside the weapons themselves? I'm just wondering if it's something that community weapon modellers would have to keep in mind to avoid sorting problems with the MRCO.

Oh nice, you fixed that one. I remember Pettka saying it was a bit of a mystery as to what was causing it.

Was the alpha sorting changed in the MRCO model, or something inside the weapons themselves? I'm just wondering if it's something that community weapon modellers would have to keep in mind to avoid sorting problems with the MRCO.

In this optic model were used bad material. That material doesn't contain nozwrite flag.

To avoid problems with alpha sorting we have to use in material this: renderFlags[]={"NoZWrite"};

It's not solution for all alpha sorting problems, but sometimes this can help.

Has anybody encountered a problem that the game suddenly "lost" a joystick? I mean it was missing from the controls menu after I switched to advanced flight model.

Also, why do CSAT pilots have a different green color scheme? Is it the same as the scrapped russian one?

http://i.imgur.com/LhhctDN.jpg

Added: Universal singleton implementation

Oh... Bohemia is becoming Earth's new overlord huh? One government for all. ^^

Has anyone had a play with the allVariables, allDisplays, allControls commands?

I believe these commands are going to have quite an effect, especially on the security environment of A3 MP.

Personally I see them as being highly exploitable, but also highly useful in terms of whitelisting controls, displays and most importantly, variables.

That said I have not used them so don't know what actually they are capable of.

For instance, this sort of client-side thread will be possible?

[] spawn {
private ["_var","_myWhitelistedVariables"];
_myWhitelistedVariables = [];
while {TRUE} do {
	{	
		_var = _x;
		if !(_var in _myWhitelistedVariables) then {
			// bad variable detected
			player setVariable [_var,nil];
			uiNamespace setVariable [_var,nil];
			missionNamespace setVariable [_var,nil];
			parsingNamespace setVariable [_var,nil];
			["end1",FALSE,0] call BIS_fnc_endMission;
		};
		uiSleep 0.01;
	} count ((allVariables player) + (allVariables uiNamespace) + (allVariables parsingNamespace) + (allVariables missionNamespace));
};
};

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Excited for every update that includes some interesting things. =D

I sense gun bag. Which would be really cool if the Dev's could add a little tweak to such gear where putting a weapon in a backpack made for guns, had the gun model on the outside of the bag strapped to it.

Example to BIS - http://www.eberlestock.com/F3%20gun%20drawsm.jpg

On another note, what is Universal Singleton?

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Anyone know if there is reason why every object and structure without icon is not visible in editor, but visible in Zeus?

I think that this is a big obstacle for mission makers. I don't know why it was scoped out and it's this way for some time.

Somehow you can raise the Strider periscope, but what is the key? I did it once my alt+tabbing apparently.

any plans for multithreading support ? or is it WIP that the game use all CPU cores to the maximum ? if yes, any news ?

I see there is some lack of technical knowledge behind your post.

Let me try to explain without getting into details.

The game does run on multiple threads.

The game might not do it as efficiently as possible.

The game will never push "all" cores to 100%. It's just not possible.

Also, what do you mean when you say "all cores"? Systems are so different, and maybe it's reasonable to expect a dual core to be used close to 100% but is it realistic to expect the game to push a 16 core CPU to 100%? No.

Multithreading: ....distinguished from multiprocessing systems (such as multi-core systems) in that the threads have to share the resources of a single core....

Next patch will bring some multi-threading optimizations on the server side though, and since server FPS affect client FPS in Arma, most people should notice improved multi-player performance with the upcoming patch. Should they expect to see 100% CPU usage? NOOOOOO, not even close. We need to be realistic when it comes to expectations.

Haven't used Dev Build for some time so updated to latest today (EXE rev. 128907) but can't even start the game... anyone else experiencing this?

Get the following error and running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit...

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
 Application Name:	arma3.exe
 Application Version:	1.39.128.907
 Application Timestamp:	54b84b66
 Fault Module Name:	KERNELBASE.dll
 Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.18015
 Fault Module Timestamp:	50b83c8a
 Exception Code:	406d1388
 Exception Offset:	0000c41f
 OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
 Locale ID:	1053
 Additional Information 1:	375d
 Additional Information 2:	375d7f8896349689eeae94fb5d0c01e8
 Additional Information 3:	5982
 Additional Information 4:	5982b1eef31c113baefa11d87b1112d4

Verified files in Steam, no dump or logfile and Stable 1.36.xxx works without problems.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Haven't used Dev Build for some time so updated to latest today (EXE rev. 128907) but can't even start the game... anyone else experiencing this?

Some other people were on about being unable to launch the game earlier in the thread. Seemed it was related to this registry tweak: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177454-a-simple-registry-tweak-for-increased-performance&p=2858171&viewfull=1#post2858171

Dunno if it's the same issue for you

Hmm it probably is...will try without reg tweak later, thanks for the pointer.

EDIT: Confirmed, changing UseLargePages back to 0 solved the problem.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

• Added: Weapon muzzle velocities are now correctly defined per weapon and not per magazine as before (backward compatibility is maintained as magazine initSpeed is now considered when there is no initSpeed defined in the weapon, while a weapon defined initSpeed overrides the magazine defined value)

ok now , how do we make the subsonic magazines?

wouldn't be better to just add magazinecoef? > http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12125

Edited by RobertHammer

Added: Weapon muzzle velocities are now correctly defined per weapon and not per magazine as before (backward compatibility is maintained as magazine initSpeed is now considered when there is no initSpeed defined in the weapon, while a weapon defined initSpeed overrides the magazine defined value)

At last! Been asking for this since the game was in beta :)

RobertHammer: You should probably leave out initSpeed from any weapon which you are going to make subsonic ammo for. It's not ideal but should work well enough. Make unique magazines that only fits that particular weapon, and define initSpeed the old way, in magazine config.

RobertHammer: You should probably leave out initSpeed from any weapon which you are going to make subsonic ammo for. It's not ideal but should work well enough. Make unique magazines that only fits that particular weapon, and define initSpeed the old way, in magazine config.

Well ok ,but problem is that almost all weapons are using subsonic ammo too - lets say like whole ar15/ar10 platform

it needs more universal solution like Robalo requested

Edited by RobertHammer

Well, if it affects all your weapons, then it's going to be a significant problem. :(

With the solution presented in today's changelog we can choose between magazine compatibility, or correct muzzle velocity, but we cannot have both.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

By the way, since we are discussing the performance of weapon handling, there's something else I'd like to bring up.

It's about the dispersion value in the configs. Vanilla weapons have dispersion values much higher than their real life counterparts. This is because it's used as a game mechanic I believe. It used to be so easy to aim in Arma, so that the weapons had to be artificially nerfed, by increasing the dispersion values. Since the introduction of weapon sway and inertia, I feel that this has become redundant. In a certain forces pack that I sometimes contribute to, I have set the dispersion to realistic values and I think it works quite well. If a rifle in my mod usually performs 2MoA in real life, it will also do so ingame. With the vanilla configs it would shoot 4 to 6 MoA. With sniper rifles the difference is even larger.

There are problems with my approach though.

1. Not balanced when you have soldiers wielding vanilla weapons vs. modded weapons.

2. The accuracy bar in virtual arsenal is maxed out on all the modded weapons, even though they may be considered more realistic than the vanilla ones.

I know I don't have much influence here, and that the devs do as they please, but I would like to ask: Would the devs at least consider to remove the artificial nerf to weapon dispersion? I feel that it is made redundant with the features introduced lately, and it's not realistic.

ok now , how do we make the subsonic magazines?

wouldn't be better to just add magazinecoef? > http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12125

Now that they've added initspeed in the weapon, I think it would be best to have the coefficient value in the magazine instead.

The coeff adjustments aren't taken into account by distancezoom zeroing which creates problems with the game's standard range-based zeroing model. I feel it's more logical to have the zero set up for the rifle using standard ammunition, and have changing ammunition cause the zeroing drift, than it is to zero the sights to the ammunition and for a weapon to have a borked zero no matter which magazine you load.

I agree with the basic point of weapon initspeed completely overwriting ammunition/magazine muzzle velocity being a bad thing though.

Easiest way to do it that there could be a new value in the magazine class that could override the weapon velocity when needed for example for subsonic ammo

that way you can have proper weapon velocity + the subsonic ammo

Edited by RobertHammer

What if instead of the weapon muzzle velocity overwriting the magazine's initSpeed, the magazine's initSpeed overwrites the weapon's muzzle velocity? That way you could have differing muzzle velocities for different weapons using a common magazine (such as the MX series), but you could also have subsonic ammunition while retaining the weapon's unique muzzle velocity if using standard ammunition!

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

EDIT: Whoops, looks like RH and I had the same idea. :P