My thoughts with that, yeah. a handful of 7.62, .338 or .50 shouldn't take but a few of those to take out the main rotor. As for other damages, MRAP's weigh tons, and ramming heli at speeds, is going to be terribly damaging. More damaging than the heli's belly smacking the ground, because it's designed to survive those, and rarley a hit from the side by a 10 ton MRAP going fast/medium speed, which by the way would jack up the main Rotor shaft if hit in the right place.

I'm back to do another test with an SUV less heavy and more fragile than the Hunter Mrap vehicle and damage to the helicopters are 0% in the whole structure of the helicopter. Apparently the Hunter Mrap for its robustness and hardness causes these damages to any helicopter at a speed of 50KM. Perhaps the damage is significant and reasonable in the 1st test. However the damage to the helicopter remains questionable. :868::padlock:

When I said main rotor I meant this part here, by the way:

http://i.imgur.com/l0wnR2a.jpg

Not a very big target but still very likely to get hit by a spraying rifleman.

That is allegedly able to take up to 20mm without failure.

Shouldn't be rotor taken out only by .50 cal or higher?

Try a little bigger and with explosives...

I'm sorry but I disagree on your reasoning for helicopters that conducted the test are much more resistant materials. If it were the case of a civilian helicopter X9 M900 or if the damage is understandable because their construction is more fragile. :nono:

You have NOOOOO idea what you're talking about. The majority of a military helicopter is thin sheet metal with stringers (The support structure) that is often made of the same sheet metal, just bent for some rigidity. That and fiberglass/kevlar. The only armor plating (If there is any) is only around the crew.

Working as intended, most people don't realise how weak helicopters are. (less true with military helicopters but still, you can only put so much armor on a giant flying fan before it can't fly anymore) And how strong those MRAPS are...

This.

We had a helicopter get hit by a scamp that was rolling down an ever so slight hill and totaled the helicopter a while ago. The majority of a helicopter is air, which is a gift and a curse.

You have NOOOOO idea what you're talking about. The majority of a military helicopter is thin sheet metal with stringers (The support structure) that is often made of the same sheet metal, just bent for some rigidity. That and fiberglass/kevlar. The only armor plating (If there is any) is only around the crew.

It's been armored seats and plates around the windows for a while, and in Vietnam they took to placing spare chicken plates around the floor/nose, but I thought there was some (slightly, at least) thicker armor around the engine, at least back during the 60's with the UH-1. I'd have expected some sort of heavier Kevlar or plate reinforcement around the engine on the UH-60, if nothing else. If there really isn't any, then all I can say is shiiiiit, man.

It's been armored seats and plates around the windows for a while, and in Vietnam they took to placing spare chicken plates around the floor/nose, but I thought there was some (slightly, at least) thicker armor around the engine, at least back during the 60's with the UH-1. I'd have expected some sort of heavier Kevlar or plate reinforcement around the engine on the UH-60, if nothing else. If there really isn't any, then all I can say is shiiiiit, man.

Nope. But many of the components are meant to take a round and keep working. That doesn't mean it's armored. For example, the drive shafts are rated to take a .50 cal round and keep running, but it's not armored. Put a few of them in there and the metal will start to deform and then destroy itself. The engines are surrounded by nothing more than aluminum. The fuel tanks are self-sealing, but also not armored, per se. The floor of the helicopter is not armored, but depending on who is flying them, they will put down Kevlar blankets. Pretty much the only thing permanently installed is, as b00ce said, the seats.

Something to keep in mind is continued exposure. For example, a -60 can keep on flying after it's tried to chop down a tree with its tips. It's not healthy, and you probably don't want to do it for a long time, but it will fly. You can also shoot the various transmissions systems (main, tail, intermediate) and it will still run, but it's on borrowed time. None of those are armored, though. The blades are made of composite, so shooting them isn't going to instantly damage them, but again, continued exposure will take it's toll. It really is almost like taking hit points in-game.

The only permanent armor in a UH-60 are the seats and the chicken wings (Black plates with the lever at the back of the door frame). When we deploy, we install BAPS plates to protect cargo/crew. The only thing protecting the engines is a bit of sheet metal for insulation and some kevlar honey-comb that really doesn't stop much more than your weight standing on it. With that, like Gatordev said, most of the components are ballisticaly tolerant and can survive quite a bit of damage without crapping out completely.

With regards to the Taru not being insta-modular; this is primarily a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome. There are several vehicle properties, such as passenger spaces / fuel capacity / medical supplies / etc. which cannot be dynamically changed in a proper way. attachTo and similar solutions are not good enough for vanilla. The same limitation affects other support vehicles like the heavy trucks. We still believe the Taru is a cool concept that can be used in logistical scenarios. The Huron is more flexible (though the Taru without pod can sling load its pods as well), but the Taru has the pods integrated into its airframe and is therefore arguably easier to maneuver.

In short: in an ideal world, we'd have liked fully modular vehicles and therefore mid-mission pod changes on the Taru. However, we still really like the concept of the Taru as opposed to just having 2 'regular' heavy copters.

With regards to the Taru not being insta-modular; this is primarily a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome. There are several vehicle properties, such as passenger spaces / fuel capacity / medical supplies / etc. which cannot be dynamically changed in a proper way. attachTo and similar solutions are not good enough for vanilla. The same limitation affects other support vehicles like the heavy trucks. We still believe the Taru is a cool concept that can be used in logistical scenarios. The Huron is more flexible (though the Taru without pod can sling load its pods as well), but the Taru has the pods integrated into its airframe and is therefore arguably easier to maneuver.

In short: in an ideal world, we'd have liked fully modular vehicles and therefore mid-mission pod changes on the Taru. However, we still really like the concept of the Taru as opposed to just having 2 'regular' heavy copters.

Cheers DNA, appreciate you taking the time out to clarify.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

And the Taru is a good concept. Looks good. adds a lot of not only tactical benefit, but can see it being really fun on mp. flying 5 ft from the ground at over 200 kph just barely missing trees, with the guys on the back seating pod screaming with terror. Getting to fully appreciate my skills.

... fuel capacity ...

Any chance to change this particular item in the future ? I can live with the other limitations, but there's those nice two attachable external fuel tanks for the AV-8B in Arma 2 that were never used since even in Arma 3, it is not possible to change the fuel load thus making external fuel tanks only a visual gimmick...

As usual DnA, thanks for the communcation, appreciate it, nice to get confirmation that it just wasn't doable, hopefully modders will find a trick for this to work.

Anyway, DEM PICTURES FROM DA FIRING RANGE ! :D

As usual DnA, thanks for the communcation, appreciate it, nice to get confirmation that it just wasn't doable, hopefully modders will find a trick for this to work.

Anyway, DEM PICTURES FROM DA FIRING RANGE ! :D

Make a cut scene. Eg. Attaching pod ... screen fade out

1. I create new Taru with the specified type.

2, Move the whole crew to the new heli.

3. Copy the vehicle properties such as velocity, damage, position.

4. Remove the old helicopter.

5. Screen fade in

6. Enjoy.

Edited by danczer

... nice to get confirmation that it just wasn't doable, hopefully modders will find a trick for this to work.

It's pretty easy to script it in. attachTo is not even necessary.

It's pretty easy to script it in. attachTo is not even necessary.

Wouldn't PhysX make it possible ?

Sarcasm? :p

But if you're serious, no, PhysX has nothing to do with it. Simplified process described by danczer.

Attaching one vehicle to another will make handling the AI problematic, for example, ordering them into the pod as opposed to ordering them into the helicopter. Exchanging the chopper with a new one is a better alternative.

Fixed: Camo selection of camouflaged vest

which vest?

Sarcasm? :p

Haha based on the reply and signature, i would think so lol

Bohemia employee training:

"Now repeat after me, this is a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome"

XD

please BIS provide to us a list and composition of the all unused textures! plus to fix some textures for vest helmets uniforms...... please

practically there is a new game hidden in all pbos

2014-10-29_00001.jpg

Its class name is Vest_V_TacVestCamo_khk.

Is this a legit vest?

player addVest "Vest_V_TacVestCamo_khk";

doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: never mind, it's "V_TacVestCamo_khk"

Is this a legit vest?

player addVest "Vest_V_TacVestCamo_khk";

doesn't seem to work.

That's likely it's name in cfgVehicles as opposed to cfgWeapons which would probably be the same but with "vest_" removed.

Devs! Attention please!

I think the following information in the field manual is wrong. It's definitely wrong compared to what happens in real life. If I recall correctly, the game was at some point long ago changed to reflect what happens in real life, and if that is the case, then this information in the field manual is outdated, and should be changed or removed. I marked it with red borders in the following screenshot:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2exvthy.jpg (189 kB)

Devs! Attention please!

I think the following information in the field manual is wrong. It's definitely wrong compared to what happens in real life. If I recall correctly, the game was at some point long ago changed to reflect what happens in real life, and if that is the case, then this information in the field manual is outdated, and should be changed or removed. I marked it with red borders in the following screenshot:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2exvthy.jpg (189 kB)

Yeah I think that just needs changing. I'm sure someone posted a while back proving that suppressors do work correctly in game so odds are that just needs changing.

• Fixed: Mk6 has been taking damage while firing

When firing a mk6 mortar in midrange player receives a minimum damage. Now player gets wound to heal. In short-range player seems not to receive any kind of damage.

Not sure if that is normal to receive some type of damage when firing the mortar in different firing ranges. Is that normal?

Edited by Metralla