Did anyone else get a 651mb patch on dev branch today? Just wondering if I can stop refreshing for a change log :P

Yes 651.9mb. I have been refreshing for the change log for a while too.

No, thats the main branch. Here we talk about dev branch.

oh sorry didnt know that.

anyway, dev branch is there now

This is or could be performance related?

Added: Checks if objects are static in map (script commands)

Can somebody tell me whats wrong here?

Its on Mainbranch after update yesterday afternoon

Error: Failed to open file a3\sounds_f\weapons\reloads\new_trg.wav

Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\weapons\reloads\new_trg.wav'

Error: Failed to open file a3\sounds_f\weapons\reloads\new_trg.wav

Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\weapons\reloads\new_trg.wav'

Error in expression <BIS_Effects_Rifle>

Error position: <BIS_Effects_Rifle>

Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_effects_rifle

Ugh, playing on a DS and the vegitation is doing that thing again where it skips animation every few seconds. :(

Edit: Need to check this. Arma's doing weird things tonight, or maybe it is my code...

Edited by Das Attorney

Version 1.22. The new system? ...

The old system - a person's body fell under its own weight + vector of motion at the time of death

The new system - a bowling ball or a sledgehammer hit man ALWAYS

What kind of nonsense? Before, we ALWAYS had a perforating wound, now we ALWAYS have hit in plate\armor?:butbut:

You have an idea of the desired results and the overall concept?

my guess is, since this is the dev branch you are talking about, that they just have put the new system in place and will now start tweaking the values. so the bowling ball/sledgehammer hit will be replaced b something more fitting. that's just what i think will happen or is planned.

in general i have to say that if i had to choose between dropping dead like insta death and being pushed by hte projectile as a unified solution, without distinction between armor types, then i would choose the new version any day of the week. there's situations you don't want the michael bay stuff, cars exploding for no reason, and those where you want it,getting a nice feedback for your hits which is much more satisfying than people instantly dying and going limb.

just my opinion ofc. in short: it's dev branch, wait with your judgement.

EDIT: i had another thought about the perforating wound you mentioned. i think it would bug me less that they just collapse if it would be started by a proper animation and then blend into ragdoll much like games with more advanced/better character physics do it. then it would look more liek a drop from the shock or sudden loss of blood pressure instead of "click, brain dead".

Edited by Bad Benson

The wounding shots right now are pretty hilarious. The unit stretches in the direction of the bullet's travel as if the bullet is dragging them with it for a second. I know this used to happen sometimes before, but now it happens pretty much every hit. Also, the unit's weapon tends to do a complete 180 backflip as the unit gets hit, then spins back to the correct orientation just in time for the recovery. I've also seen units spazzing out when they get hit, doing a kind of ragdoll bounce with their legs in the air.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Could they be experimenting with IK for the wounding anims? As far as I know, it used to be that the unit would temporarily go into ragdoll mode when hit, so they kind of "sagged" a little then straightened back up. I remember a BI dev saying that this was a simple temporary solution until they implemented something better, so maybe this is the beginning of that.

now we ALWAYS have hit in plate\armor

Unless we are talking about heavy machine gun fire or heavier, being hit in armor does not do that to a person.

I guess what we see now is just the beginning of something. I think this system will evolve.

Different reactions depending on the energy of the projectile would be awsome. Hope they do something like that. I already noticed there is a bigger blood splash effect with high energy hits from larger calibers.

Could they be experimenting with IK for the wounding anims? As far as I know, it used to be that the unit would temporarily go into ragdoll mode when hit, so they kind of "sagged" a little then straightened back up. I remember a BI dev saying that this was a simple temporary solution until they implemented something better, so maybe this is the beginning of that.

i agree that that kind of cringing looked better although it should be even more minimal and have smoother transitions so it looks less spastic. another thing i'd like to see is some tweaking of hte CfgRagdoll stuff like some addon already did. you can avoid silly death poses pretty well by making joints more rigid and bones more heavy.

i'm just glad to see this is being worked on at all. something being less advanced just looks better than something configged poorly since until now the results are mostly involuntarily comedic which makes the advanced tech look worse than the simply death anims in arma 2.

I guess I never noticed if this was the case before, but right now, the unit reacts differently to being hit in different areas. For example, if you're standing in front of a unit and shoot him in the face, this happens.

Some others:

Right arm from from the front

Right arm from the back

Right leg from the back

Of course, it's massively exaggerated and ridiculous right now. All of these poses are hits, not kills. Meaning the unit goes right back to his normal stance after recovering.

Cool, although it looks much overdone. It's hollywood stuff and not very realistic :)

Edit: Tested it myself ingame. It is now possible to see exactly where you hit based on the animation. Try hitting the foot of someone standing up :D

It is very much overdone though. I would like the effect to be toned down with something like 80%. I also like it to be based on the energy of the projectile at impact. Low energy, smal movement. High energy, bigger movement. As of now, it looks like they are being hit by a 12,7mm when using only pistol.

Edited by Brisse

Are the hit ragdolls the same as in stable currently? Because in stable they look ten times better than the earlier "bend the knees and throw your hands in the air like you just got shot in the ass".

Well, sometimes it's a bit Hollywood, but even then only almost worse than before. The non-lethal high energy leg hits are full slapstick, though.

18-06-2014

EXE rev. 125293

Size: ~178 MB

ENGINE

Hup Holland Hup

:yay:

To be a good hit system, it must have a authentic terminal ballistic data. Without that is just another fps game and this isn't a simulator its a game, said by devs.

don't think they will implement accurate data due to legal aspects and explicit results (dismemberment). The 12,7 mm damage its a fairy tale in the game as the artillery damage on the infantry.

Are the hit ragdolls the same as in stable currently?

Should be the same. I actually switched to stable. Seems even yesterdays devbranch update made it into stable.

There is a problem. Bullet with high energy often does not cast body. The bullet passes through it, the kinetic energy is transferred to the human body in large sizes.

Can somebody please explain to me the rationale behind the uniform restriction ? Why can't I take a uniform of an enemy and put it on ? And please no "Geneva Convention" excuse, because that is just plainly NOT the reason (see cluster bombs). This has broken many a mission, and as such, was a bad move

Can somebody please explain to me the rationale behind the uniform restriction ? Why can't I take a uniform of an enemy and put it on ? And please no "Geneva Convention" excuse, because that is just plainly NOT the reason (see cluster bombs). This has broken many a mission, and as such, was a bad move

It's not a technical limitation of the engine, so it's obviously by design. Demanding some justification aside from the explanation they have already given and maintained for a over year probably isn't going to get that changed. How is this even relevant to the dev branch, anyway? This limitation has been part of the game since alpha.

Could be AI-related. I'm guessing that it's much harder than it seems (or is feasible in a set amount of time) to implement having the AI react in different ways according to your uniform.

It's a very simple explanation. It's largely because of the AI, with additional design concerns for MP/PvP.

AI because they don't have advanced detection behavior to account for such cases, and it would probably take plenty of time to implement. Result without accounting for the AI would be them just ignoring you as if you were setCaptive'd or treating you like any other enemy. If you watch the video where Ivan demonstrated it at E3, I think, you'll see the former.

Design because in PvP MP you could easily pretend to be the other army or get teamkilled. There are no telltale signs that would give you away IRL. You don't speak much differently, faces do not have to stand out due to the custom nature of faces. It would be akin to TF2's spy, but without the ability to friendly-fire hostility check or bumping into each other to check for collision. If anything, it would require different mechanics and adjustments to the current side mechanics.