It was intended as an anti-material gun, but there's only so much you can do with 30mm.

It irritates me when people promote the notion that the 30mm on the A-10 is somehow able to penetrate better than every other 30mm on the planet.

Yes, the plane was designed around the gun, and the gun was designed for an anti-material role, but that still doesn't make it able to penetrate thick armor like a hot knife through warm butter. The only parts of a T-62 the 2000 round/min hell storm of depleted uranium and high explosive will penetrate are the engine, barrel and the bottom. Like I said, there is a reason that main battle tanks use 100mm+ cannons to fight other tanks. The 30mm depleted uranium round does not have the length or velocity to penetrate tank armor like APFSDS does. The API round fired from the GAU-8 will penetrate a whopping 23/4 inches(69mm) of armor at 500m. I imagine that's perfectly perpendicular to the gun on the ground, once you start throwing angles into the mix (Which is every shot from the air), your penetration starts going way down.

As for disabling the tank, the parts you'd be able to kill are the engine from behind, guns/optics(If you're lucky enough to get a good hit or two in), and MAYBE the tracks if you hit them enough. Beyond that is why the A-10 has a crap load of Mavericks and bombs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/A10%20Coloring%20Book/1.gif

That being said, the GAU-8 should be able to make short work of APCs and IFVs.

Yes that was my point. :D

GAU-8 does not blow up tanks, merely disables them.

Yay!

Yes that was my point. :D

GAU-8 does not blow up tanks, merely disables them.

Yay!

Disables them if you're lucky. You have to get a REALLY good hit in at exactly the right spot to take the bits and bobs that matter out.

but much like strafing runs in WW2 it plays absolute havoc with morale of the tank crews

Disables them if you're lucky. You have to get a REALLY good hit in at exactly the right spot to take the bits and bobs that matter out.
I guess USAF pilots are really good. :p

Yay!

I guess USAF pilots are really good. :p

Yay!

They don't have to be good. They just place the pipper on the target and press the first trigger detent. After that, the autopilot keeps the pipper on target and compensates for recoil :D

Thats for the A-10C

Yeah, read that on DCS manual, I want a trackIR damn it.

Yay!

They need to be when they do CAS in DG.

Read Fire Strike 7/9 to see how hard it can be to provide good CAS.

Awesome thing about the A10 is that it turns towards the enemy, not away from it like F16s on CAS duty do.

Yay!

You know wht? The Old Soviet tanks have a very thin bottom. US Pilots in WW2 were killing tanks by shooting the road underneath them so that the ricocheting rounds would penetrate the bottom. I wonder if the same would be possible with the Gau...

Did US pilots attack Soviet tanks during the WW2? I missed that part of history :)

Of course not, they did that to german tanks, but the cold war soviet tanks were also quite vulnerable at the bottom.

There's actually two lose classes; one for SP and one for MP. The other one eludes me, but you can find it with the class viewer until I can take a look in my mission which it is.

Thanks for the tip, didn't think to look at the config file. Turns out it was endDeath, which is when every player in the mission dies (hence when you test alone and get killed every player is dead rather than one side losing).

Massive spam when using the Zeus lightning on a client/SP:

No shape for ammo type LightningBolt

Edited by Das Attorney

Does the press vest (V_Press_F) not have any hiddenSelections or am I just blind?

If it doesn't have any, somebody on the BIS modelling team should definitely add one. I'd love to be able to retex that vest.

Massive spam when using the Zeus lightning on a client/SP:

Thanks for info, should be fixed in the upcoming dev build.

Thanks for the prompt fix - and for implementing Gossamers' suggestion - downloading now! :)

Server browser:

-Removed: GameSpy logo

-Removed: GameSpy / Steam switch

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1385/75/1385753810661.gif

On a more serious (and less excited) note, have you (the devs) managed to find out why it takes several minutes for the Steam browser to load the servers for certain people? Also, have you found out why the Steam browser doesn't display players' names?

On a more serious (and less excited) note, have you (the devs) managed to find out why it takes several minutes for the Steam browser to load the servers for certain people? Also, have you found out why the Steam browser doesn't display players' names?

Unfortunately there were simply things GameSpy did very well and Steam, as of now, does less well. Our programmers have already had to do some 'interesting' workarounds to support all features we did previously. We don't consider this a closed task and are continuing to find better methods, add improvements to the browser, etc. Generally the Steam implementation relies on a better configured network situation for clients and servers. It's possible to get around many issues (like routers detecting the 2500+ servers and info queries as spam traffic), but GameSpy punched right through those - which is obviously a nicer user experience.

Unfortunately there were simply things GameSpy did very well and Steam, as of now, does less well.

Isn't that sad considering Valve is a much bigger company than Gamespy?

Please add hiddenSelections to the Raven Vest. The only way to retexture it atm is to hex it.

Just wanted to highlight a previously mentioned, potentially serious bug in last two DEV releases.

0019147: Attachment Zeroing UP/DOWN - Zoom/FOV/Sound/FPS Bugs

If anyone could give it a test to rule out that it's not just on my end.

Thanks

E

I can reproduce this. All you need to do is place a standard NATO rifleman in the editor, since they come with an MX+ACO.

Marked as reviewed on the tracker.

Are we ever going to see a return of the Hummingbird's doors? It really brought immersion to having a nice little compact helicopter. I heard it was removed for issues it was causing.

Does the press vest (V_Press_F) not have any hiddenSelections or am I just blind?

If it doesn't have any, somebody on the BIS modelling team should definitely add one. I'd love to be able to retex that vest.

Thanks to the dev who added hiddenSelections to this vest in today's dev branch patch :)