+1/2 fps with -enableHT :)

Together with Fred's trick the improvement is quite noticeable. Also less stuttering.

Thanks!

Oh. My. God.

I saw mention that the 64bit exe. will really help the memory need of this Navmesh..? Ok, for the first time I'm really jealous of DayZ now

I don't think that they have one yet, just Maruk mentioning it as a future plan?

I don't think that they have one yet, just Maruk mentioning it as a future plan?

64-bit server is confirmed core change that will happen soon. Multi-core/thread is also happening. Also client side will maybe get those.

Btw they'll get rid of the action menu system in DayZ and man I really hope that will happen in Arma 3 also.

Am I the only one that thinks 'surface friction' parameter is something to get very excited about?

Am I the only one that thinks 'surface friction' parameter is something to get very excited about?

Exam in Tribology tomorrow. Is this a sign that I should start studying?

Added: Surface parameter (surfaceFriction)

It works! Thank you BIS!

And while youre at it, would be even more splendid to have different slip curves per surface:j:

You can have some surfaces more slippery than others (for vehicles).

Yes, you should.

On another note, would it be possible than for example... during gameplay, live (obviously), and it starts raining say, have the SurfaceFriction parameter decrease to a set amount of full slippery-ness and gradually increase as the rain stops to cause the friction levels to go back to normal. So it's like having Dynamic driving conditions. Just a thought.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Or, maybe the parameter is for something entirely different that we don't know about. Walking on moving surfaces, or vehicles on certain surfaces... more speculation. Ill stop now. ^.^

with -enableHT you don't need use the -cpuCount=alllogicalcores

all you need is use physical core count

quadcore Intel

-cpuCount=4 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical four HT cores itself

hexacore Intel

-cpuCount=6 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical six HT cores itself

Have tried it with my System 1-3. No Difference in FPS. So in wich case will make this sense? Thanks

just for beeing clear, i am ok with the Performance i Arma, so my question about the start parameters.

Naah, tack and friction are waay overrated lol... Unless its on the nano scale. Study hard <.<

It's a shame that it's only related to vehicles. If all surfaces could have it applied we could get on vehicles and transport freely.

Yes, you should.

On another note, would it be possible than for example... during gameplay, live (obviously), and it starts raining say, have the SurfaceFriction parameter decrease to a set amount of full slippery-ness and gradually increase as the rain stops to cause the friction levels to go back to normal. So it's like having Dynamic driving conditions. Just a thought.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Or, maybe the parameter is for something entirely different that we don't know about. Walking on moving surfaces, or vehicles on certain surfaces... more speculation. Ill stop now. ^.^

Great suggestion, would add a whole new level of depth to the gameplay. Rain that has a gameplay aspect rather than just being a visual effect. I like it.

:moto:

(It is to stop cars from "slipping" 20m into the air. )

We'll see what results they will be able to get regarding speed and memory usage. Also, keep in mind that Arma 3 is a little bit more complex so the mesh would need to work with more data.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully the new method performs as well as the dev blog expects.

:yay:

One question before i jump the gun, i wanted to start a new Development Thread on Particles. I wanted to know if there is an existing dedicated Dev Particle Thread before i created one...?

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Great suggestion, would add a whole new level of depth to the gameplay. Rain that has a gameplay aspect rather than just being a visual effect. I like it.

Yup. Always thinking of ways to make Arma 3 more immersive. ;)

One question before i jump the gun, i wanted to start a new Development Thread on Particles. I wanted to know if there is an existing dedicated Dev Particle Thread before i created one...?[color="Silver"

There's an excellent one here that the devs keep an eye on:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155866-Arma-3-Particle-Effects-documentation

Edited by Das Attorney

quadcore Intel

-cpuCount=4 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical four HT cores itself

hexacore Intel

-cpuCount=6 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical six HT cores itself

So more no more need to use -exthreads ?

I have deleted all the line with many of parameter for only "-nosplash -noLogs -cpuCount=4 -enableHT"

Is there any other important parameter ?

What will the "enableHT" parameter exactly do? Because generally, HT is enabled or disabled on a machine via BIOS setting and not by the application. The program would just have more threads, and the OS can then put 8 instead of 4 threads simultaneously through the CPU. So I'm wondering: Does this mean that if the parameter is set, the game will just spew out more threads (in that case a non HT-CPU with just more cores would benefit as well, e.g. AMD FX-8000 series), or will it do something else that e.g. helps to assign always a "big" and a "weak" thread to one CPU core in order not to clog it up, or to put it differently, to evenly distribute the workload on all four cores instead of overloading the first two and underutilizing the other two.

An answer from a Dev would be greatly appreciated. But also I encourage people to test that and post back results (maybe in a new thread), also what happens if you don't have a HT CPU (game crash? lower performance? no change? or even an improvement?).

Hyper-threading support was 'disabled' in Armas until now which basically means that when the game detected HT it spawned threads only on one half of the CPU cores. With HT enabled Arma 3 will spawn threads on all CPU cores which means better parallelization and possibly slightly better performance.

It's not clear how much can hyper-threading help (depends on CPU architecture, threads scheduling and what is being simulated) but since we have done more parallelization optimizations lately (especially on dedicated servers) it might be worth trying this thing out. I would personally expect better results on the dedicated servers with high amount of players (the higher the better) since it's a little bit better parallelized but either way, don't expect any magical jumps in FPS.

It should also help non-HT CPUs with 8 or more cores. If you have non-HT CPU with less cores than there's simply no change - the game will run as usual.

And I second the encouragement to test and post back the results - I expect there will be differences based on you CPUs, SP/MP/dedicated servers, player count and missions used - but any feedback will be very welcome.

but why making this feature "enableHT" as a parameter instead of implant it directly into the game so it would load the feature from itself ?

but why making this feature "enableHT" as a parameter instead of implant it directly into the game so it would load the feature from itself ?

Because it needs more community testing. And it's better to be able to disable it (which is the default case) in case it breaks something.

Hyper-threading support was 'disabled' in Armas until now which basically means that when the game detected HT it spawned threads only on one half of the CPU cores. With HT enabled Arma 3 will spawn threads on all CPU cores which means better parallelization and possibly slightly better performance.

It's not clear how much can hyper-threading help (depends on CPU architecture, threads scheduling and what is being simulated) but since we have done more parallelization optimizations lately (especially on dedicated servers) it might be worth trying this thing out. I would personally expect better results on the dedicated servers with high amount of players (the higher the better) since it's a little bit better parallelized but either way, don't expect any magical jumps in FPS.

It should also help non-HT CPUs with 8 or more cores. If you have non-HT CPU with less cores than there's simply no change - the game will run as usual.

And I second the encouragement to test and post back the results - I expect there will be differences based on you CPUs, SP/MP/dedicated servers, player count and missions used - but any feedback will be very welcome.

I'm not really finding any improvement when running missions with lots of AI and scripts going on (which is where I thought I would see gain) & next to no activity on the logical cores..

Occasionally I can see activity on the logical cores but very seldom. I'll try and post up something more concrete but this is just initial impressions for now. Also, can we get a dedicated thread for this stuff (or this thread will be swamped)? Thanks.

Here is the commandline I use:

-noSplash -world=stratis -exThreads=7 -maxMem=3071 -maxVRAM=4000 -cpuCount=4 -enableHT -showscripterrors -mod=@skynet

nocores.png

Because it needs more community testing. And it's better to be able to disable it (which is the default case) in case it breaks something.

Is it possible to integrate the "-flush" command in any way without typing it always ingame?