i wonder what will happen today, getting excited

I think people are reading too much into "lots of cool stuff". I think that they'll simply continue with the dev branch updates soon.

I think people are reading too much into "lots of cool stuff". I think that they'll simply continue with the dev branch updates soon.

.. which will be very welcome as well. I hope they will start releasing dev branch updates starting today again.

you make a good point!

will be good once everything gets rolling

Dev change log has updated, but there's no update on steam. I think they did not opened data server yet?

Back to work for BIS :) I hope you had a really good time during holidays and that you now can give us some late Christmas presents :D

Edited by Nikiforos

"Simulation of dead bodies has been optimized."

So what does this mean exactly?

There was a thread somewhere where players noticed that FPS did not return to normal after a lot of spawned AI had been removed again / killed.

A dev then said he was looking into it.

EDIT: I believe it was this one: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169484-What-I-found-about-performance-and-I-what-I-want-to-help-fix-it

It should be less resource hungry and save some FPS. Be not afraid... no dead bodies walking around... or... perhaps?

Reading too much into it? "Lots of cool stuff" means "lots of cool stuff" Not "we will continue dev branch". "Reading too much into it" would mean something like us thinking they were going to give us Arma 4 or something, or maybe even a new island with a new army or something. They have had days off before, and have always said something like " we will continue dev branch Monday". Lots of cool stuff actually means more than that.

But, there is still one thing wrong with your statement. It's TUESDAY, 1-7. and what they gave us is not even worth downloading.

So we did not read too much into it. They meant what they said and simply did not deliver. A small amount of almost meaningless fixes is pretty much as "anti-cool stuff" as you can get. I think they just could not deliver for some reason. I mean they could not even give us a statement on Monday. That's what surprises me. Don't say you will give us something then completely ignore us. You know a lot of people spent all day shutting down steam and restarting it yesterday to see if they could force start a download. And most probably checked the dev branch changelog page about 100 times yesterday. They could have gave us an update like they have in the past. Just to let us know not to wait.

No big deal, just don't down play things as if we read too much into what they said. We didn't. :)

It should be less resource hungry and save some FPS. Be not afraid... no dead bodies walking around... or... perhaps?

Thank you :-)

Reading too much into it? "Lots of cool stuff" means "lots of cool stuff" Not "we will continue dev branch".

Well. the original quote was:

Check back for continued daily updates and lots of cool stuff from Monday 06.01.2014.

It says from Monday, not on Monday... so I guess it's reading too much into it if you expect the cool stuff ON Monday. I read the whole thing as more of an "We're resuming normal operation on 6. January" kind of thing, and hey, usually I am labeled as "hater" or "whiner" ;)

Reading too much into it? "Lots of cool stuff" means "lots of cool stuff" Not "we will continue dev branch". "Reading too much into it" would mean something like us thinking they were going to give us Arma 4 or something, or maybe even a new island with a new army or something. They have had days off before, and have always said something like " we will continue dev branch Monday". Lots of cool stuff actually means more than that.

Whatever generates your mass effect field :)

But, there is still one thing wrong with your statement. It's TUESDAY, 1-7. and what they gave us is not even worth downloading.

There is always the option to disable the dev branch updates if you think they are wasting your bandwidth. So there wasn't a dev update yesterday... not a big deal, really, since yesterday's changes are quite certainly included today.

So we did not read too much into it. They meant what they said and simply did not deliver. A small amount of almost meaningless fixes is pretty much as "anti-cool stuff" as you can get.

Aren't you, like, making too much of a fuss about this? It's just a figure of speech. "Lots of cool stuff to come".

Yes it is ridiculas, asked for this since Arma 2 but they don't seem to get that CCIP /CR on planes with bombs is kinda standard in the HUD.. and makes the planes in Arma 2 and Arma 3 almost useless as bombers...

I must say that optimisation and the Hellcat issues were pretty big at one point, in case you forgot.

Were you expecting:

-Added: New vehicle ported from ArmA 4 (the future!)

-Added: New weapon UltraCoolGun MarkXIII?

Also, may I ask what

Adjusted: Carbine rifles distribution.
means?

Can somebody tell us about the bodies optimization? If you can notice any difference ?

I'm at work and can't check it out now.

I think lot's of cool stuff means lots of cool stuff, but not lots of cool stuff ON Monday, but starting Monday. Meaning we'll see cool stuff this year. Pretty sure that includes jets and the Adapt campaign that was just announced for jan 21st.

Can somebody tell us about the bodies optimization? If you can notice any difference ?

I'm at work and can't check it out now.

I'm at work too, but I was able to check it a bit. Generally it's a small optimization done in simulation part of the engine, regarding entities (characters) that are already dead. Main purpose was to help servers with coping with big amount of dead bodies around, but you should see the improvement in single player and as a multiplayer client as well. I was testing it with 100+ bodies and small performance improvement was observed.

Performance feedback on latest dev. 48vs48 pure infantry firefight @altis:

stable version: 41fps average

latest dev: still 30fps average (like the last dev update before christmas)

Edited by JumpingHubert

I just tried updating tags on a mission I published on Steam Workshop, and even though the Workshop lists the item as "updated", the tags are not.

I know there is a ticket for it, but it is marked as resolved, which it isn't. Last update on the ticket was yesterday, so maybe it's not in the dev branch yet ?

Could any dev shed some light on it ?

I've been informed today that the tags on steam issue has been fixed and should be in one of the next updates, although I can't see it in today's update. It must be imminent, unless they meant the next stable branch update, which might not be until the release of the next campaign episode. I would expect that the "cool stuff" will be campaign content that will be released on the dev branch a few days before the stable branch, possibly this week.

I have found a new bug:

Squad leaders won't order their soldiers to rearm from dead bodies if they are out of ammo. They will however order them to rearm from vehicles and crates. Maybe a bug connected to optimized dead bodies?

Can somebody else confirm this, please?

Thanks.

I have found a new bug:

Squad leaders won't order their soldiers to rearm from dead bodies if they are out of ammo. They will however order them to rearm from vehicles and crates. Maybe a bug connected to optimized dead bodies?

Can somebody else confirm this, please?

Thanks.

i would just like to add to this bug, that squad leaders wont tell squad members to rearm at ammo bearers.... this has been an issue for some time, or they are for mp use only

i would just like to add to this bug, that squad leaders wont tell squad members to rearm at ammo bearers.... this has been an issue for some time, or they are for mp use only

It would be great to have it functional.

since we're optimizing dead bodies... let me draw attention to:

0011531: Dead bodies on ground break AI pathfinding

and (same issue, duplicate recent ticket)

0016405: Dead bodies can block AI path movement

i'm unable to check if original is still reproducible, but repro in first ticket above was positive some weeks ago. Is anyone able to check if with current improvements the issue still stands?

(back to hibernation for a while longer...)