Uhm... Its saturday.. I know there are some people working today (including me) but I guess its weekend for Bohemia. They never released anything on a saturday.

Btw, with the newest Nvidia drivers "Nvidia GeForce/Ion 327.23 WHQL" from yesterday I feel like getting more fps.

Speaking of drivers, BIS should tell Nvidia/AMD to make drivers which focus on improving Arma 3 performance. Lots of games do that. I don't know what you have to go through to convince them to make these drivers tho.

I've updated to the latest dev build and now I get "Cannot open object a3\roads_f\runway\line_curve_long_f.p3d" when I open Altis map for the first time. No big deal but I thought it's worth mentioning.

BIS_fnc_ambientAnim looks like broken since latest devbuild on friday. In my mission the ai don't sit down in chairs and in toiletbox anymore.

[ai_jason,"SIT","NONE"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim; -> result: ai is attached to the object, gamelogic is created, but no animswitch.

Does the M2A1 Slammer (and possibly other vehicles with turrets) now also feature lock-to-ground, like the UAVs? The implementation feels unfinished to say the least, there is a delay between moving the turret and the locking mechanism. It should be removed from ground vehicles, untill a proper FCS is realized ingame (and that is unlikely).

Aiming is difficult: horizontal stabilization is gone, the turret moves unpredictably and firing on the move is highly inaccurate.

the biggest gamebreaker atm...
also a big gamebreaker...

hyperbole?

I've been using the camera lately and I just started noticing that I can never get back into the game. Most of the time pushing "esc" does nothing. I have to push it quite a few times for it to finally let me exit and when I do, the screen stays the same but there is a blackish box along the bottom of screen that says fx in the lower right corner and "unable to create message box". and have no way to get in the game and no way to get the game to keep going.

Speaking of drivers, BIS should tell Nvidia/AMD to make drivers which focus on improving Arma 3 performance. Lots of games do that. I don't know what you have to go through to convince them to make these drivers tho.

ManuelG

NVIDIA Rep

We have an optimization that we are considering but we need to discuss this with developers as we dont know how this will affect the game as it moves to BETA and then final release.

That is what ManuelG said a while ago!

ManuelG

NVIDIA Rep

We have an optimization that we are considering but we need to discuss this with developers as we dont know how this will affect the game as it moves to BETA and then final release.

That is what ManuelG said a while ago!

Yeah I remember that...any word? Though CPU bottleneck is the most common thing in this game, so driver optimizations might not help a whole lot.

When AI engages in fights the FPS drops at the same level regardless your GPU. That's why I dropped the GPU solution.

Yeah I remember that...any word? Though CPU bottleneck is the most common thing in this game, so driver optimizations might not help a whole lot.

Nope. But the new driver did help with 3-5fps on an empty world. But again could be the new dev patches too.

I switched ysterday from stable to dev, same mission editor = 7 fps more than in stable.. Hope this tweaking will continue..

When AI engages in fights the FPS drops at the same level regardless your GPU. That's why I dropped the GPU solution.

Yes, this is true. Same level pretty much regardless of graphics settings too, at least for me.

I switched ysterday from stable to dev, same mission editor = 7 fps more than in stable.. Hope this tweaking will continue..

Quite an improvement there!

On a side note.. and this may not belong in the dev thread. I've been looking at how the zeroing works, and it seems to me that a projectile isn't neccessarily fired at the same angle as the barrel. When changing zeroing through optics, the reticule stays still and while changing in 3rd person, the barrel stays still. I tested this with a tank and it was fairly obvious. Wouldn't be very hard to make it so that the barrel always has correct elevation relative to zeroing , I assume? Has anyone got a ticket for it?

Yes, this is true. Same level pretty much regardless of graphics settings too, at least for me.

True , a good GPU will give you the advantage of higher settings while nothing or minor action is going on. But when hell breaks loose you are going to lose the advantage and your FPS will drop like a stone :). That's why I'm asking for AI optimization.

On a side note.. and this may not belong in the dev thread. I've been looking at how the zeroing works, and it seems to me that a projectile isn't neccessarily fired at the same angle as the barrel. When changing zeroing through optics, the reticule stays still and while changing in 3rd person, the barrel stays still. I tested this with a tank and it was fairly obvious. Wouldn't be very hard to make it so that the barrel always has correct elevation relative to zeroing , I assume? Has anyone got a ticket for it?

This is most notable in the GMG at long ranges, grenades take off at angles over 45 degrees while the barrel is horizontal, breaks the immersion quite a lot actually.

From the latest changelog:

"Civilian (and FIA) trucks have been revamped"

In which way? Textures, code, model?

From the latest changelog:

"Civilian (and FIA) trucks have been revamped"

In which way? Textures, code, model?

Driving model.

I've been looking at how the zeroing works, and it seems to me that a projectile isn't necessarily fired at the same angle as the barrel. When changing zeroing through optics, the reticule stays still and while changing in 3rd person, the barrel stays still. I tested this with a tank and it was fairly obvious. Wouldn't be very hard to make it so that the barrel always has correct elevation relative to zeroing , I assume? Has anyone got a ticket for it?

Zeroing in Arma doesn't work quite like real life. Zeroing doesn't change the angle of the barrel, but instead spawn bullets in the air, i.e. if you zero to 2100 meters, the bullet will spawn ~1.5 m above the barrel of the rifle. The only exceptions are the UGLs.

Zeroing in Arma doesn't work quite like real life. Zeroing doesn't change the angle of the barrel, but instead spawn bullets in the air, i.e. if you zero to 2100 meters, the bullet will spawn ~1.5 m above the barrel of the rifle. The only exceptions are the UGLs.

I doubt that, so you are unable to shoot out the windows if zeroed to 2km because the bullet will hit the wall above the window? I think not.

The only exceptions are the UGLs.

And mortars & self-propelled artillery. When you use page up/down keys with those, the barrel will physically elevate.

Edit: Either you ninja-edited your post or I'm way too drunk... "the bullet will spawn ~1.5 m above the barrel of the rifle" part is not true, as mentioned.

Edited by Gekkibi

This actually isn't right, the bullet gets from the muzzle end but in an adjusted angle :icon_twisted:

[ninjad]It's not true. Bullets are fired in direction different than the model "looks", but the initial position does not change. [/ninjad]

Please try it yourself with following code:

cameraOn allowDamage false; cameraOn addEventHandler ["fired",{setAccTime 0; (_this select 6) switchCamera "EXTERNAL"; shell = "Sh_120mm_APFSDS" createVehicle [0,0,0]; shell setposasl getposasl cameraon; shell setvectordir velocity cameraOn}]

Set zeroing to max, fire your weapon of choice and use Splendid camera to see where bullets start.

Edited by zGuba
ninjad